GliderCENTRAL

HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER

Posted By: Anonymous

HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/11/07 07:32 PM

ok, my rescue came home today. I was told he had a "bald spot" on his head... Well in all actuality, he has NO gray fur on his head! What do I do?????? I also bought 3 cages from this girl, I didn't pay much attention to them when I was loading them in the car, but once i got home, I realized that they are rusted and can't be used. This person really screwed me over, but at least i got the glider out of a potentially deadly situation.

He is supposed to be 3 years old and neutered. I haven't been able to get him out of the bonding pouch enough to tell if he is neutered or not.

I need some major direction and FAST to help this poor little guy out.
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/11/07 07:34 PM

does he have a cage mate? Usally grooming like that is stress related...

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/11/07 07:37 PM

no, hasn't for 2 years, but the glider in the cage next to him died a few months ago. I know why he is doing it, i just don't know how to fix it!

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/11/07 08:08 PM

my friends glider did that too, you might wanna look into getting another glider. in my expirience my two gliders are very bonded and they don't share a cage(yet). so if you get another one it could really help.

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/11/07 08:20 PM

Once he goes through the quarantine period, he is going in with one of my pairs

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/11/07 08:34 PM

i might be wrong, but i wouldn't worry about it if you already have new friends for him once he gets done with quarentine, i would just spend a lot of time with him to sort of take away some loneliness.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/11/07 09:55 PM

It sounds like he came from a less than good situation so it's possible that with a good diet, clean cage/pouch and some reassuring conversation wink , things may start to look up for him. You may even see him grooming less and his fur start to grow back in.

Posted By: BeckiT

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/12/07 12:39 AM

Laura, first thing he needs is a vet check to rule out a medical issue wink After the vet visit, if all goes well, do your quarantine and then figure out who to place him with making sure to go through proper introductions with him wink
Posted By: thefotokat

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/12/07 01:00 AM

Like Becki said, vet check! Why did the other glider die? Make sure he's quarantined in a separate room from your current gliders and wash your hands in between handling them. You need to rule out a medical/physical issue. Once you know he's ok, then you'll have to watch him. Hopefully, the right diet and a loving environment will help.

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/12/07 01:10 AM

was the other glider yours or the person's who you got him from?
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/12/07 01:34 AM

the other glider belonged to the person Laura got him from...

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/12/07 03:48 AM

The other glider belonged to the girl i got Chance from. The girl didn't know why she died.

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/13/07 02:11 AM

Here are some pics i took of Chance last night. I am warning you, they aren't great, but you can get an idea of how bad he is. I have a vet appointment set up for him tomorrow, and Dancing gave me some direction on how to supplement his dinner to help the fur grow back.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/13/07 02:26 AM

awww, he isn't great but he's not so bad. Given a good diet, a stress free environment and lots of love, he will be fine.

Attached is a pic of Reep when he first came to me and one taken not so long ago.

Love and the right home can do WONDERS for them.

Attached picture 6014-6-2-05-1.JPG
Attached picture 6015-Reep11210601.jpg

Re: HELP!!! OVERGROOMING GLIDER - 02/13/07 02:34 AM

He did look more like a rat than a glider! But looks great now!

Well at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I added the WHP and Yogurt to his diet as you suggested.

His vet appointment is tomorrow, so we will see what comes of that. I think physically he is pretty healthy, I just think he was so neglected that it was slowly killing him.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL