GliderCENTRAL

Sam & Chco

Posted By: LSardou

Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 12:41 AM

After a long battle with Choco's periodontal disease, we finally had to resort to the last choice in having Choco's two lower incisors removed today.

For the past 3 years we have been battling with this disease. Antibiotics, monthly teeth cleaning, daily mouth wash/rinses, brushing, and diet changes. For every attempt made, it seemed as though Choco would take 10 steps backwards. In March of this year, he had started loosing weight, and the flare ups were becoming more and more frequent. He has been to see the best Vets around. Dr. James Carpenter, and Dr. Teresa Bradley both have exhausted their efforts in trying to not have to pull.

Today was one of the most difficult days ever. I took Choco in at 8 am this morning for extractions. After almost an hour Dr. Bradley came out to inform me that Choco's teeth were fused to the bone, so they could not be pulled.

During the attempt both teeth broke off at the root, which was not good. She gave me two choices on what to do at that point. Since the roots were fully exposed, there was no choice but to either euthanize him or cut his jaw bone out to remove the teeth. She told me that his recovery process would be a long and difficult one. It was up to me.

I could not bare to even imagine having my precious baby put down so I chose the other. After another 2 hours in surgery, the procedure was complete. Choco is in a lot of pain, but he seems to be holding on with a great fight. He will need to be hand/syringe fed for the next two weeks hopefully after that time his jaw/mouth will be well under recovery.

A month ago, I brought both Sam & Choco up to Dr. Bradley in Missouri for examinations and full tests. At that time Dr. Bradley found a suspicious mass on Sams liver. She put him on medication in hopes that this would reduce the size. While there today, after finishing with Choco, she did another Ultrasound and another full panel blood work up on Sam. Sadly to say, his mass has not decreased in size. She put him on another medication and we will keep a close eye on him over the next couple of months.

I've had my babies for almost 7 years. They have been my pride and joy. Please keep them in your prayers.

Posted By: Srlb

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 01:02 AM

Linda, so sorry to hear this is happening. How very sad.
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 02:19 AM

My prayers go out to all of you. Hang in there.
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 02:21 AM

I will be keeping them in my prayers, Linda.

I have had two gliders here who have had their jaw broken for one reason or another - one that had a small piece removed like you describe. I can honestly say that both recovered well and in a month you didn't even notice any difference. Are you also using liquid calcium supplement? It does help the bones to heal faster.

I'm praying for your babies. ((HUGS))
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 05:31 AM

Oh Linda, I'm so sorry! Sam and Choco are two of the very sweetest gliders I've ever had the pleasure to meet. If I had known you were going to be at Dr. Bradley's today, I'd have come up and sat with you. I'm about an hour and 20 minutes from her office but so much closer than to you.

If you come back up, let me know. I'd love to see you again and I know how aweful it is to sit in the vets office like that. Always easier having company.

Sam...Choco...YOU BEST GET BETTER!
Posted By: Drea

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 05:53 AM

I am so very sorry to hear about the trials that you and your gliders are facing. I wish you and your fuzz kids the very best.
I hope they both make a fast recovery.
We're pulling for you!
They're in my prayers, as are you. <3
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 06:16 AM

Thank you, everyone for your well wishes and prayers. :ghug:

I was able to get Choco to lick the innards from his mealie worms tonight. The things we do out of pure love for our babies. mlove

Teresa, I will be coming back up in two weeks for a follow up. I will give you a call.

Val, I PM'd you over on the Sweet Spot. Thank you!
Posted By: Sweet As Suggies

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 06:16 AM

I am so sorry to hear how hard things have been for you worried You and your little ones will be in my thoughts and prayers hug2
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 07:26 AM

Just give me a call and barring a snow or ice storm, I'll come up. ((((((((HUGS)))))))))
Posted By: Feather

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 04:43 PM

Your babies are in my prayers, Linda.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Sam & Chco - 12/11/12 04:47 PM

Linda, I'm sorry to hear they are going through all of this. Poor babies! hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL