GliderCENTRAL

sick glider?

Posted By: Anonymous

sick glider? - 07/03/07 03:25 AM

I have a glider about 4 months old. She has something like a "wound" on her anus. She is licking and biting at it and it has become very raw and irrated. Her behavior and diet hasnt changed much and doesnt have squirts.
Shes eating fine. Is there something we can do for her, I know she is in pain.
Posted By: gliderdad79

Re: sick glider? - 07/03/07 03:27 AM

A vet visit is in order. This is not normal and could lead to serious health issues. Do you have a vet you can take her to?
Posted By: SpikenPea

Re: sick glider? - 07/03/07 03:34 AM

As gliderdad said you really need to go to the vet. I don't know what could be the problem other than an infection of some kind. Please use the vet data base here is the link http://www.glidercentral.net/links/pages/Vets_Database/index.html#

However, I am not sure if you should use neosporin or equivalent salve to help temporarily as this might promote more licking.

You may also want to go to this link for instructions on making and fitting an e-collar which will help keep her from having access to that region.

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/69788/page/1#Post69788

I hope all goes well for you and I will keep you guys and your girl in our prayers.

Re: sick glider? - 07/03/07 03:49 AM

Spikenpea is right you need to get her fitted for a e-collar and taken to a vet it sounds like your glider is starting to sm which is where a glider knows its in pain and is trying to relive it. Do not use neosporin on it for for she will lick it I know one you get the e-collar on her you can put alittle neosprin NO PAIN RELIVER KIND BIG NONO But she really needs a vet for antibitics and they can give a better pain reliver like torb
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: sick glider? - 07/03/07 04:06 AM

getting her in a e-collar should be a top priority to prevent further self-mutilation. once in an e-collar, since she won't be able to access her cloacal area, then you can put the pain relieving neosporin on it (Please note - you can only use the pain relief kind when it's in an area that your glider can't reach it. while you're getting an e-collar on, have someone else call and get her into a vet tonight. time is of the essence once they start to SM!!
Posted By: LSardou

Re: sick glider? - 07/03/07 04:19 AM

wave Mikeandjenise, WELCOME to GliderCENTRAL!
You've been given some excellent advice so far, I just wanted to tell you that I will be saying a prayer for your little one. Please keep us posted on how things are going. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there is always someone here who will be able to help. hug2 hug2
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: sick glider? - 07/03/07 04:22 AM

I also agree with the good advice you have been given above. Do an e-collar right away because what your describing is self mutilation and can become extreme, and potentially fatal. Your glider needs antibiotics, and pain meds as soon as possible, if you have to untill you get her in an e-collar, which is that cone looking collar, wrap her up like a burrito so she can't do further damage. Where are you located? We can help you find a vet close to you. HTH

Oh yea, Welcome to GC, you found great help!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: sick glider? - 07/03/07 06:31 AM

I just sent you a private message. Look at the top and click on the flashing envelope to go to your pm box.

Re: sick glider? - 07/04/07 03:12 AM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELPFUL INFORMATION!!!!!!!

All of the advise was great! We did make her a "homemade" e-collar for the night. I did find a very quick way. We cut the top off a water bottle lined it with duct tape and taped it to fit,,,,worked like a charm. Even the vet was impressed.

She was sm ing. The vet said we caught it time and she did no permeant damage, and should be able to breed. If anyone is in the D/FW, Texas area, let me know for a referral. He is great and very cost effective.

Again thank you all!!!

Mike and Jenise
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: sick glider? - 07/04/07 02:32 PM

I'm glad you were able to stop it in time! Did the vet give her any medicine?

Also, if this vet is not listed in the GC Vet Database, please contact Eddie (gliderdad79) and give him the information. That way, anyone would be able to find his info, especially in an emergency.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: sick glider? - 07/04/07 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: mikeandjenise
If anyone is in the D/FW, Texas area, let me know for a referral. He is great and very cost effective.

Again thank you all!!!

Mike and Jenise

I'm so happy to hear that she is going to be alright. Thank Goodness you were able to get her in and taken care of as soon as you did!

Could you post the name, phone number, and location of your vet in our Vet Forum, so that we can add it to our list in the directory?
Thank You!

Keep us posted on how she's doing... heart
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL