GliderCENTRAL

Protruding Eyes?

Posted By: Anonymous

Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 02:17 PM

While playing with my crew last night, it seemed to me that my lttle female's eyes were protruding more than usual. It could be that she's just growing and she does have a rather narrow face. Compared to my two males she is very petite.

Any experiences out there with protruding eyes, or I am just having another bout of glidermanic paranoia?

dunno thanks
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 02:20 PM

I've never had it, but I think that someone else had a glider whose eyes protruded due to an infection or maybe something relating to HLP (I know, I know, my vague-ness is helping you out a TON here grin )

Do you have any pictures of this?

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 02:23 PM

EEK! No pictures, darn it. I still haven't learned how to do the picture posting thing.

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 02:26 PM

If you can get any pictures on your computer, you could email them to me and I can post them if you like.

I'll try to find that post for you. I doubt that this is the case though, because the protruding eyes happened AFTER the HLP was caught..sorry to scare you!

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz
My Pika developed cataracts a couple of years ago. The changes were pretty quick and dramatic at that time. She had already been treated for HLP and then suddenly came down with an eye infection. Her eyes were suddenly cloudy and one was bulging from her head. Veterinary examination determined that she had a systemic infection with secondary glaucoma. Treatment included eye drops and oral antibiotics. Sadly, the cataract did develop and caused her to go completely blind, but it was gradual. Have your vet check for glaucoma and although she's already been on Baytril for a week, possibly change to a different type of antibiotic (such as Clavamox or Cephalexan)... I'll try to find my pictures of Pika's eyes when she was going through this... I'll post them if I can find them.

K it was Suz that had this happen, but it was accompanied with cloudiness in the eye.

I'm sure now that this isn't what is going on with your glider, I'm so sorry to scare you. I guess I didn't remember the whole thing correctly hug2

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 02:38 PM

There's no cloudiness or discharge. Can a 7 months OOP baby get cataracts?
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 03:01 PM

It can also happen with sinus/facial infections. I've had it happen with both Riker and Lyah. I think we'd need a pic though, if there's no facial swelling, to tell if it's abnormal or not. Gliders eyes do tend to protrude some and it's normal. Without seeing it, it's near impossible to say.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Wantiki2
There's no cloudiness or discharge. Can a 7 months OOP baby get cataracts?

With these little ones there is no specific age as to what one can develop. If you feel that she is not looking like you think, I would suggest to schedule an appointment to have a vet check her over.

It's hard to determine a solid suggestion, however, from what your explaining, it sounds like her eyes are more prominent because of her having a narrower face (smaller facial structure). I have two gliders, one is "chunky" with a rounder face, my other glider is "slim" and his eyes protrude more.

As for downloading pics, you can download into a photo shareing program most of us use Photo Bucket
To download into here, at the bottom of your post page you will see a box that says "Post Options", click on File Manager. A small screen will appear, just follow the steps thru there. You will not see your pics until after you have hit submit and they will appear on the page as link.

Hope everything is alright with your baby!

Re: Protruding Eyes? - 07/19/07 05:59 PM

Thank you all for always being there with good counsel and willing hearts. I definitely will make a vet visit if the situation appears to worsen. I'm fairly certain that it's just her appearance changing as she matures. She is so very different physically and behaviorally from the boys, who are twins from a different blood-line, that it takes a little getting used to and every little thing seems somehow 'wrong'.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL