GliderCENTRAL

I NEED HELP!!!

Posted By: uraqt33

I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 06:53 AM

I need to talk to someone with A LOT of experience...possibly with HLP!!! I have a 'situation' and I don't know what to do. I tried calling the emergency after hours but there isn't anyone on who will treat gliders. I need to talk to someone!!!! PM ME PLEASE!!!

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 07:09 AM

Or call me (618)303-4134
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 07:38 AM

I can't really help, but what's going on???

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 07:57 AM

I've been trying for months to get my cage of 2 and my cage of 3 into one large cage. Well, they were doing ok...so I thought until I got Pogo out(the female from my previous cage of 2 gliders) when I realized she wasn't using her back legs very well and she's REALLY skinny!!! She's always been REALLY small, but not this small!!! I'm really scared. I think she's been scared to go down and eat because some of the other gliders are food aggressive....even though I put 2 large bowls of food in the cage and 2 glider kitchens.

Anyway, I took Pogo and her brother Herky out of their new cage and put them back into their old cage so they could eat and not be stressed. I kept the wheel out...because she runs all the time and with her being this small I don't want her running. Not to mention she would almost fall out of the wheel because she's so week. I don't think it's HLP because she's week all over...probably from not eating.

She's eating really well...and I've been giving her as many mealworms as she can eat. She was in my bra for a long time, but I just put her back in with her brother so she can rest.

But I do have a question...I feed the Priscilla Price Diet and I was wondering how I get her to eat more of the mix as opposed to all the other fruits and veggies? She doesn't eat much and I'm afraid she's picking out all the good things and not eating her veggies(so to speak).
Posted By: konotashi

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 08:06 AM

I had this problem with my girls. Jacobi was getting thin, but for a few weeks, I would take her in the bathroom with the tub of BML and some fruits and veggies. I would scoop a bit of BML with a baby spoon and wouldn't let her have a slice of any fruit or veggies until she ate most of it. She gained weight back, and Dakota started to allow her to eat at the same dish, so it's been fine since then.
Try that for a while and see if it works.

I'm praying for her. Keep us updated!

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 08:37 AM

Just got off the phone with Cindy(Hollysmom) and she was very reassuring! I'm going to be getting up every 2 hours to make her eat and to check on her. I'm also going to go and get some chicken baby food and mix her up some glideraid. She's is doing a little better...she's out of her pouch and following her brother around. He must know she doesn't feel good because he keeps licking her. Wish me luck that she keeps perking up.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 12:00 PM

April - I tried to call you. Hope you are getting some sleep and that she's doing better.

Anything I can tell you is probably too late. I would say, don't give her too much all at once. Make her eat small amounts frequently, rather than all she wants all at once.

Let us know!
Posted By: Trigger

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 12:02 PM

April, praying for your little one and wishing you all the best. Glad to hear she seems to be perking up a bit.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 12:55 PM

One thing you can do with the PP diet, blend all your fruits, veggies and the yogurt together in the blender, than add it to it. Then when you feed it put a couple of her favorite fruits/veggies on the top. I do this and found it works great! Praying this little on is ok. Post an update when you can!
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 01:39 PM

April - Write these numbers down:

home 806-274-9177
cell 806-395-0181

Call me any time you need to.
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 01:44 PM

April, I'm praying for Pogo! Try and get some rest too. Update when you can. hug2
Posted By: BCChins

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 01:56 PM

April I hope Pogo is doing a bit better today. Just want to give you a hug2 and let you know we are thinking of you both.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 02:01 PM

April, I sent you a PM girl.

Holler if you need anything. hug2
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 03:13 PM

April I hope she is doing better today. Call me if you need anything. hug2
Posted By: Karin

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 03:59 PM

I hope she is feeling better today April...keep us posted when you can hug2 .

Karin

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 04:16 PM

Hey, I just spoke with April.

She separated Pogo and her brother, and Pogo seems to be doing much better. Poor little thing actually fell asleep in her glider kitchen last night!

April was wondering about food she could leave in the cage all day? Any suggestions?

She is also going to go get some wax worms ...

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 04:24 PM

Happy glider, Brisky's and Zookeepers are the only ones I know of for gliders. I don't feed that stuff so not sure which she may eat.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 04:35 PM

I don't have any dry food because I've never feed it...so I think I'm just going to change the PP mix out several times and just leave that in her cage.

Like Alden said though, I woke up at 10:30 and her and her brother weren't in their pouch...I found them sleeping next to their food bowl in the glider kitchen. After I woke her up she started eating. So I'm going to be waking her up every 2 hours to get her to eat.

Thanks EVERYONE for helping me through this!!! hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 04:45 PM

hug2 hug2 Glad to hear she is eating well. I hope she gets stronger quickly! hug2
Posted By: Devil_Bunny_Girl

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: uraqt33

But I do have a question...I feed the Priscilla Price Diet and I was wondering how I get her to eat more of the mix as opposed to all the other fruits and veggies? She doesn't eat much and I'm afraid she's picking out all the good things and not eating her veggies(so to speak).

Just an observation -- I may be late in stating this, or you may already be doing this -- do you add a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral suppliment to their food at all?

She needs to get in all her nutrients and I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just looking out for you and her. You didn't mention it, and I can't assume you do or don't give it.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil_Bunny_Girl
Originally Posted By: uraqt33

Just an observation -- I may be late in stating this, or you may already be doing this -- do you add a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral suppliment to their food at all?

She needs to get in all her nutrients and I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just looking out for you and her. You didn't mention it, and I can't assume you do or don't give it.

Yes...I feed the multivitamin...it gets sprinkled all the fruits and veggies. And you're not a jerk...it never hurts to ask wink I'm going to be trying a different diet here in the next week to see if that makes a difference. Some of my gliders are just too small for my liking!!!

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 06:10 PM

Just woke her up and she ate some avocado and Priscilla Diet mixture. She's definitely feeling much better because after she ate she wanted to play. I didn't let her play long...she's still weak so I put her back to bed.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 06:56 PM

hug2 April Im so glad she is doing better hug2 your doing great!!!
Posted By: USMom

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 07:00 PM

April, one thing that may help is to put her in a much smaller cage for now. That way she isn't having to climb to get in her pouch or get to the food from her pouch, etc...If you don't have a smaller cage, hang the pouch as low as you can and keep everything on the floor, then put lots of hammocks, in case she falls.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/03/08 07:59 PM

I thought about moving her to a smaller cage, but the only small cage I have isn't suitable for 2 gliders and I didn't want to separate her and her brother. He's moral support and won't leave her side, plus he helps keep her warm in the pouch since she is so small and gets cold easily.

I already moved the pouch to the lower half of the cage...just forgot to mention it. I don't want her to burn energy trying to get to her pouch. The hammock idea is good too...I'll have to do that, at least until she's stronger.

I need to go and get a digital scale still to see how much she weighs.

Also, I fed her again and she's eating GREAT!!! At this rate she should be better in no time smile

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 01:43 AM

It's probley leg paraylsis that can be treated with vitamin d.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: lunaspopy
It's probley leg paraylsis that can be treated with vitamin d.

It's not Hind Leg Paralysis. At first I thought so, but then I realized she was weak all over...not just her back legs. She's doing much better since I first found her and I've been getting her up every 2 hours to eat. She was starving!!!

Also, just thought I'd let you know HLP is caused by a calcium deficiency and needs to be treated by a vet.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 02:21 AM

The avocado is a good choice, April. Good source of fat - and also has potassium and other nutrients. Things like that, and also protein should get her strong in no time.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 02:48 AM

April best wishes with your baby, I am glad that you figured it out quickly and hope to see some happy updates on her real soon.
She's staying in our thoughts and prayers, and you try not to get too run down thru this.
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 03:05 AM

I'm so sorry for you and your baby. frown
I'm so happy you found out soon enough, and things are getting better! smile

Did you ever get her to the vet, or are you satisfied with your treatment?? Just wondering if there can be an underlying problem??

You have all my good thoughts and good wishes for the evening! heart
Posted By: Dancing

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 05:32 AM

Quote:
HLP is caused by a calcium deficiency

April...HLP can be secondary to other problems such as bacterial infection or parasites. I honestly think you should have this little one checked by the vet and then perhaps try the "glider mush" (chicken, avacado, and stuff) to get some weight back on her.

Also, it might be best to feed her in small amounts but more often for a few days. I know with other animals such as horses, if they go without food and then over eat, they can become colic (twisted intestines) and die from it.

Please do get her to the vet though.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 04:02 PM

I've already mixed up the "glider mush" recipe...it was given to me by Gina wink Thanks again!!!

Also, when she does eat she eats in small amounts. She's a really petite glider and always has been. And believe it or not, I can already tell she's put on weight!!!

Also, she's acting much better(running around her cage, climbing the bars in her cage quickly, jumping). I still have the wheel out of her cage...I'm not putting it back in until her weight is completely back to where I want her.

So while I do think her only problem is starvation I will still be taking her to the vet for a check up. She has an appointment tomorrow morning because personally I don't see this as an 'emergency' anymore and they couldn't get me in today.

Thanks again EVERYONE for all the help and support through this stressful time!!! hug2 hug2

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 04:04 PM

I forgot to ask...What tests should I have done at the vet? Bloodwork? Fecal? I was just wondering so I could make it easier on the vet.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 04:06 PM

Oh
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 07:58 PM

Glad to hear she is doing better April!
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 08:02 PM

April, you'll need to get at least a urinalysis, fecal float and smear @ the vets
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/04/08 08:12 PM

April- I'm a little late on this but for the PP diet you are supposed to have the Sugar Glider Cereal and Monkey Biscuits in the cage as a staple at all times. That is what you could keep in there during the day. The monkey biscuits will help with growth too. HTH Good luck!

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/05/08 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: SugareeErin
April- I'm a little late on this but for the PP diet you are supposed to have the Sugar Glider Cereal and Monkey Biscuits in the cage as a staple at all times. That is what you could keep in there during the day. The monkey biscuits will help with growth too. HTH Good luck!

I know about the Cereal and Monkey Biscuits...but I thought it was optional. I know many who feed Priscilla's without the staple. Plus, my gliders don't get up during the day to eat. I have to physically wake Pogo and get her out of the pouch to eat. It's just not something they do.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/05/08 02:17 AM

Many don't keep them in the cage all of the time (or at all).

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/05/08 12:49 PM

Mine wouldn't touch either so I stopped using them. (One less thing to toss every day!)

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/06/08 09:53 AM

That was EXACTLY my experience. None of my six will touch dry food whether it's monkey biscuits or cereal. For a while I thought my two little ones were eating it up. Then I realised the turds were throwing it all over the place. Little buggers.

Re: I NEED HELP!!! - 08/06/08 12:03 PM

Thats what mine did.....I think they used it for a food fight! lol
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL