GliderCENTRAL

Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3

Posted By: sugarlope

Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/14/08 07:22 PM

Read Part 2 here
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/14/08 07:41 PM

Gina, don't know if this will work for you, but give it a try.

Put meds down first.

Follow with a syringe of about .02 cc or so melted ice cream or sorbet after each one. It's sticky. And hold his mouth shut. He's going to have to swallow the meds to breathe. He can shake out the "treat". I use this on my more difficult ones. At least they end up with the majority of the meds on the inside instead of the outside. hug2

Edit: once you feel him gulp-let go. He can shake the rest out. The sweet will also help get rid of the nasty taste of the meds to a degree. When all done, offer him something he likes as a chaser to help his mouth taste better.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/14/08 11:48 PM

I am sorry to hear that little Fawkes is being difficult about his meds. I know comparing medicating him to medicating a horse is a long shot. But when I have to give nasty meds I put a little honey in the tip of the syringe, then the meds then a little more honey.

That way they get a sweet taste the yukies and then more sweet to chase it down. I can't say it will work on Fawkes but it is worth a try.

I sure hope that the pharmacist can compound something tastier for little Fawkes.

Praying for you and Fawkes,
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/15/08 03:08 PM

Most animals in general can be stubborn with medicine..Just remember, they need it! Don't feel bad, no matter what sad faces they give you. You are helping.

Try petting under his chin, or along his chin. I found trying to feed medicine with treats very hard...They end up not likeing those treats afterwords. I'll call my vet and see if he has any suggestions for you, though I'm sure he'll say things suggested here already. Good luck, and just be patient wiht your little guy. He loves you, hes just scared! hug2

Also, on my burrito wrapping suggestion. ONLY do it if it doesnt hurt his side, I don't know how sensitive the one under his arm would be. (Please also note; I have a LOT of experience with animals..But none with gliders yet. If I suggest something, and you KNOW its a bad idea..Please say so! for your sake, and mine. All animals are NOT the same, and I may just not know any better.)

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/17/08 04:38 AM

Well, I haven't been able to get to the pharmacy when this pharmacist guy is in, so I dropped off a dose of Fawkes' meds along with a note, explaining what I'm trying to accomplish. Hopefully it won't take him long to figure something out.

My vet suggested trying to see if the mealworms would eat it. That way I could feed one dose to like 20 mealies, then feed him the mealies. She said that he just needs the metabolites of the drug, so it wouldn't hurt for the mealies to eat it first. I'm going to try it...

Fawkes has been feeling a bit puny the past couple days. THis is why I have not really been online. Yesterday morning, he absolutely refused to let me do his magnet therapy, he also refused to eat any mealies. Thankfully he ate 20 after his evening meds. Today he's eating okay, but he's been very squeaky the past few days.

His tumor(s) is spreading - I can feel it across about half of his chest, his original lump on his neck, around the side of his head, & behind his ear, plus the one under his arm. I wonder if these herbals are doing him any good at all, or if I am traumatizing him twice a day for nothing. If the pharmacist can't come up with something to make this less stressful for Fawkes, I'm seriously considering taking him off of these herbals. I just feel like they are drastically hurting his quality of life & I don't know if they're doing anything for him.

Peggy - When you get a minute, I would really like his charts & that email from Dr. Tristan. TY
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/17/08 12:06 PM

Ah Gina, I'm so very sorry that he's suffering so much cry Please know that you're both in my thoughts & prayers hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/17/08 02:45 PM

Gina, I am so sorry he is having such a hard time. I agree with the herbals. When Jake was fighting bone cancer, a very wise friend, whose dog also was fighting it said to me 'sometimes you need to take a step back. The urge to 'do something' is so strong, sometimes it blinds us to see what is happening.' What she meant is sometimes the treatment is almost worse than the disease and the cost is very great. I wish I had some magical words that could make all this a little easier, but there are none. Just know my heart and prayers are with both of you. (((Gina & Fawkes)))
Posted By: Cora

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/17/08 03:05 PM

hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/17/08 04:36 PM

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you both. hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/18/08 11:40 PM

Well, this morning I got Fawkes out to give him his meds & I just couldn't do it. He was squeaking so much, I didn't want to put him through it. I did his magnet therapy and gave him his mealies, then I emailed his vet & told her that I feel the herbals are hurting his quality of life too drastically & I'd like her to call Dr. Tristan regarding the use of steroids as I would like to revisit that issue. I am waiting to hear from her.

I still don't know if I made the right decision or not, but for the time being, I know Fawkes is happier...
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/18/08 11:42 PM

cry hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/18/08 11:51 PM

Gina, I know it is hard, but I believe you made the right choice. Being happier is very important, really the most important in cases like these......my prayers and thoughts are with you both.
Posted By: reeny

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/19/08 12:09 AM

I agree Gina. When I had to give mine medicine I felt awful for three weeks. Sometime happiness is more important. Keeping you and Fawkes in my prayers.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/19/08 11:51 AM

If Fawkes is happier, maybe he will get healthier. I hope and pray so. You are trying so hard, and we are all right here behind you.

Much love from the Glider Motherland. You and Fawkes are in our hearts and prayers.

Libby and Milton.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/19/08 02:08 PM

Thanks for the support guys...

I still haven't heard from the vet or the pharmacist. I'm going to try to get a hold of the vet on my lunch break. Hopefully she will have talked to Dr. Tristan. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up - but I have high hopes for the steroids. I just hate that this thing it growing so fast.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/19/08 05:20 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2
You know you and Fawkes are in my thoughts and prayers, Gina. I hope everyone gets back to you soon, waiting just makes everything harder. hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/19/08 10:14 PM

I didnt think about that; Giving the mealworms the medicine first could actually work. Have you tried it yet?

I felt the same way when I went through this with Pepper. It was painful to see her hate the things I had to do to her. Still thinking about you both! hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/21/08 03:26 AM

Fawkes weighed in at 169g today - that's down 8g from last Wednesday, and down 16g total. I decided to start offering him some Ensure, as he is not as enthused about his mealies lately. He happily lapped it up, like it was a treat. I know I shouldn't be so happy about feeding him Ensure, but I'm just so glad that he actually WANTED to eat something.

Dr. Kate tried to call Dr. Tristan today, but he was out of the office until tomorrow. She said she will try again tomorrow & get back to me.

Fawkes' squeaking has calmed down a bit - I wonder if I was aggravating something by forcing those meds down??? I don't know...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/21/08 12:22 PM

Eating something he LIKES to eat is important, Gina. Prayers continue.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/21/08 01:44 PM

OH Gina, I'm so sorry that things have gotten so difficult. I too wish I had some magickal words to say. You're both in my thoughts hun.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/21/08 03:41 PM

Having him still be interested in eating something is so great, glad he perked up for it.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/22/08 02:01 PM

He is still refusing the mealies - well, not refusing, he will take the first one, but then no more. So I am continuing the Ensure. I still have not heard from Dr. Kate - I am going to call her this morning on my break (@ 10:30). Hopefully she will have gotten a hold of Dr. Tristan. This morning, when I went in to get Fawkes out for his magnet therapy, he was out eating a piece of mango, I was really excited about this, because he is always in his pouch when I go to get him, and the only thing I have actually, physically SEEN him eat in weeks is mealies & the Ensure - so now I have some verification that he is eating something.

Plus its always good to see him out & about...

I'll post when I hear from Dr. Kate
Posted By: cbddallas

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/22/08 02:05 PM

This is great to hear! hug2 Keep hanging in there

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/22/08 02:16 PM

That is wonderful to hear! Prayers continue.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/22/08 09:10 PM

Gina glad he is coming out and you got to see him eating and being as happy as he can be. hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/24/08 12:14 AM

Well, he decided he doesn't like Ensure anymore - I guess I have to find something new.

Some of the waxworms I bought when he was first diagnosed turned into moths, he thought those were the greatest things ever! He had 5 yesterday (that's all there were), then there were 3 more this morning, so he got those. Now I just need to go buy more waxies so I can keep them in stock, because apparently they are yummy! Too bad it takes so long for them to turn into moths!

I also got him to eat two mealies this afternoon, it just took a little begging...

Does anyone know if you can buy moths somewhere? Or are they too delicate to ship? I dunno, but he was sure crazy about them.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/24/08 02:13 AM

I don't think moths last very long and are pretty delicate, which is why they don't ship them. Maybe you can find someone that will ship cocoons? If all else fails, I would try crickets, similar enrichment/interest level, but much easier to find.

I found with Kira that I had to keep switching kinds of Ensure to keep her interested (she liked Vanilla, Strawberry and the Butterpecan best). dunno

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/24/08 02:55 AM

Gina
I ordered a waxworm farm from Best Bet Inc. www.waxwormkit.com. My wax worms haven't turned into moths yet. Maybe you could get a kit and start your own farm.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/24/08 04:41 AM

Hello. I am sooooo sorry with what is going on with you and your suggie. Being in the medical field I have seen cancer patients and chemo patients. It breaks my heart!!! My son was on steroid therapy for 3 years on and off and this is what I learned about steroids:

1. weight gain- which is good since he has lost weight, BUT he is still trying to lose the weight 3 yrs later

2. mood changes- my son would go from happy, to sad, to TICKED off, to almost wanting to kick my butt!!

the most important if it is orally, or giving for sometime:
you CAN NOT stop it immediately...he HAS to be weaned off of it. That will kill him If the steroids are used for along time it could cause adrenal insuffiency. Basically the adrenal glands are supressed. My son's doctor put him on a low dose (1 1/2 cc) for some time and then lowered the dose when it was time to wean him off

IV steroid are alot more potent. When my son was in the hospital they gave him steroid IV treatment, and the mood swings and the weight gain was alot worse then. The clothes my son wore into the hospital he woulc not wear out. He gained about 16 lbs in 2 weeks.

As I said I am sooo sorry. I am in NO way trying to scare from doing the steroid treatment for cancer (my son was a resp patient and it helped just had drawbacks), but just giving insight on what I know about the drug and the effects on humans. My heart goes out to you

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/26/08 10:46 PM

Ok, well bad news.

Fawkes has formed what looks like a stretch mark, or scar on the underside of the big tumor, at the base of which he has made a hole frown

I am dropping him off with Dr. Kate in the morning because I have to work & this can't wait. He will stay with her for the day and I will go back after work to talk to her & pick him up.

So, we need a prayer chain - This is not the direction we wanted to be going.

I talked to Dave the Pharmascist today, he has finally started working on a formula for the herbals.

Dr. Kate still has not gotten a hold of Dr. Tristan. Peggy, if you're reading this, go kick him in the butt & tell him to return his phone calls!!!

No more moths have popped up for Fawkes to enjoy, there are some cocoons, so hopefully soon. I made the chicken/avocado/egg mix that most gliders love, but he only ate that once, and now won't touch it - still won't touch worms. I'm alternating baby foods and occassionally I find one that he likes. The Beech Nut Wheat Cereal with Raspberries was a hit, but I ran out of that 2 days ago...

At this point, I'd give him french fries if I thought he'd eat them.

Through all this, his behavior seems almost normal. I know refusing to eat is not a normal behavior, but I mean his activity & personality. He doesn't seem sick. His ears aren't down, his eyes are bright, he's curious & I still catch him in his wheel. I just don't understand this disease.

He has developed severe constipation over the last week. He hisses and chirps when he poops, and the tiniest, hardest little poops come out. I don't know if its from the cancer or from me trying to feed him anything he'll eat. I have some garden fresh tomatoes to give him tonight, so hopefully that will help a bit.

I'll let you guys know how the vet visit goes...
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/26/08 10:49 PM

hug2 hug2 You and Fawkes have my continued prayers.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/26/08 11:58 PM

Prayers and huge hug2 s headed your way!!
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 12:04 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Prayers still being said for Fawkes Gina. I am praying he gets well and whatever happens, that he doesn't suffer.

That is what I prayed for with Peanut.

Love and HUGS to you
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 12:35 AM

Gina, sorry to hear about Fawkes, will continue saying a prayer for him.

As for Tristan, he had been out of town, was back in yesterday and was in surgery all day long and taking care of Aquarium animals...Im sure he will call her back as soon as he can.

Do keep us posted on this though. I think of little Fawkes often.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 02:29 AM

Still saying prayers here for little Fawkes. I know how hard it is when your little patient doesn't want to eat.

Thinking of you and Fawkes.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 02:54 AM

Saying prayers for you and Fawkes!

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 02:07 PM

Ok, Fawkes is at the vet's. I just spoke to her - she hasn't looked at him yet, but she did talk to Tim. He is recommending a drug called Elspar in conjunction with the prednisone. Now, Elspar is a chemo drug, but he has used in gliders on several occassions with success in some cases. He said that it depends on if it is lymphoblastic or lympho-something else (I couldn't write fast enough - I'll make sure to take better notes when I pick him up tonight).

Now here's the hard part - my vet doesn't stock chemo drugs, she said most vets don't because they're used so rarely. And Fawkes only needs a small, minute, fraction of a bottle. So, we are trying to find a vet in the area that has some, because she said ordering a whole bottle is insane. I may have to take a day off of work and go back up to Knoxville to the teaching hospital just for the injection. And she said, depending on how the cancer reacts to the first injection, he may need a second injection in 3-4 weeks.

We're both calling around today & she's checking with her vendors to see what we can do.

If any of you is bored and is good at internet searches, I'm looking for veterinary oncologists, or any vet who uses chemo drugs regularly in the tri cities area of TN. I figure these places are my best chance for finding the Elspar.

I'll let you guys know about the ugly tumor thing as soon as I find out.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 02:15 PM

Gina, loads of prayer going your way. Let us know when you can and good luck in your search today!
Posted By: Izzyandrileysmom

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 03:01 PM

Gina,
In my web search, it says that the UT veterinary school has a veterinary oncologist. I know you have had Fawkes there, so maybe that is a start.

Prayers for you and Fawkes continue!!!!!
Posted By: Karin

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 03:38 PM

Thinking about you Gina hug2 ....face hugs to Fawkes!!!

Karin

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 03:53 PM

Well, Dr. Kate thinks that the main tumor is outgrowing Fawkes' blood supply, thus the stretching & ripping - so the key is going to be shrinking it fast.

The word on the Elspar - it comes in 10,000 unit vials, Fawkes only needs 70 units per dose, which is once now, then possibly another in 3-4 weeks. Well, once you reconstitute the Elspar, it's only good for up to 8 hours, and each vial is $150! It's a good thing I took this temp job, or I'd be up a creek!

The good news is, I found a vet clinic down the street from my office that has a vial they will let me take as long as I replace it - so we won't have to wait for an order to come in to start treating Fawkes.

I thought about going back up to UT, but by the time I paid for gas, and took a day off of work, I'd be out $125, and I'd have to drive all day long (which isn't worth the extra $25). Plus, they charge you $100 just to walk in the door up there! I'm just better off paying for the whole vial & having Dr. Kate do it.

I read up a bit on the Elspar, and if I'm reading it right, the Elspar sort of "forces" a remission, and can drastically shrink the tumor(s), especially when used in conjunction with prednisone. The prednisone also helps lessen the toxicity of the Elspar...I think...I'm no doctor, but I tend to be a pretty smart cookie smile

Thanks for your support guys, I really appreciate all of you who have been here with me for the long haul (even you lurkers).

I'll post more when I know more...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 04:29 PM

Guilty for being a lurker wink Gina,
I'm still keeping you both in my prayers. You know if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know hug2
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 06:24 PM

Yep. Me too, what Suz said!

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/27/08 09:40 PM

My thoughts and prayers stay with both of you as well. hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 01:11 AM

Ok, well the Elspar has been ordered, it will be here FedEx tomorrow. Fawkes (and Seti, or Cino) will go in tomorrow morning again, and have his injection whenever the shipment comes in - though Dr. Kate said she will likely wait until after lunch so she can watch him for the remainder of the day. She said that side effects are relatively mild - he will probably be sore though as it is an intermuscular injection - and if this works, it will be dramatic, so keep your fingers crossed.

Fawkes weiged in at 157g today, which is a serious loss, down about 20g in the last week and 1/2, even with the tumor growth. It seems the only thing I can get him to eat is moths, and those are few and far between. I am trying, please Fawkes, eat something!

I am going to try pinkies again, you never know....

SUZ! I got the box today! THANK YOU! Those toys are sure to brighten Fawkes' spirits (I LUV the new one)! I put them in tonight & I already hear a little ding a ling a ling! I'll have to go peek & see who it is....
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 01:28 AM

hug2 Sending lots n lots of hugs and prayers for his treatment tomorrow Gina.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 01:28 AM

Gina, my continued thoughts and prayers for you and Fawkes both hun. If there is ANYTHING I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask dear.
HUGSSSSS

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 02:04 AM

Thoughts and prayers are with you!!!

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 12:53 PM

I dropped Fawkes (and Cino) off at Dr. Kate's this morning - everybody please keep him in your thoughts & prayers today, I am just going to be a nervous wreck all day!

I don't know if I should try to bring him to work with me tomorrow, or if he would be more comfortable at home with his family. What do you guys think? On one hand, I would be able to watch him at work in case something happened, but on the other hand, he would probably get more rest (and be less stressed) at home...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 12:55 PM

Gina I will light a candle and pray very hard for Fawkes today. I know if it were me, I would leave him at home but see if someone could go by a few times during the day and just check on him. He will need his rest and he won't get it really at work. But I know it is a hard call, as you will want to be able to watch him. See how he is today when you pick him up and make your decision then. (((Gina & Fawkes)))
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Monster

If any of you is bored and is good at internet searches, I'm looking for veterinary oncologists, or any vet who uses chemo drugs regularly in the tri cities area of TN. I figure these places are my best chance for finding the Elspar.

I'm pretty good at researching, so I immediately started looking for you. Here are the links I found but first is an email address to write to.

"If you need help finding a veterinary oncologist in your area who can provide chemotherapy for your dog, click the blue box below. The list that we send you will include medical oncologists, not radiation oncologists or board certified surgeons. Type your city and state into the Subject line of the Email that will open."
vetoncologistfinder@themagicbulletfund.org

These are for dogs with cancer but they should have information that would help fawkes too.
http://www.oncurapartners.com/
http://www.helpyourdogfightcancer.com/onco.html
http://www.helpyourdogfightcancer.com/SensibleSuppsArticle.html
http://www.helpyourdogfightcancer.com/research.html

Links to oncological vets.
http://www.vetcancersociety.org/
http://www.acvim.org/
http://www.gcvs.com/
http://www.cancerindex.org/clinks30.htm
http://www.cancerindex.org/clinks30.htm#vgen
http://www.oncolink.org/

Links for info on cancer drugs for animals.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/pharmacy_center.html

Links for cancer info.
http://www.gulfcoastvetspec.com/oncology/
http://www.cancerindex.org/clinks7.htm
Link for financial aid.
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/

I will continue to search and see if I can find more specific information for you.

Continued prayers and love for you and brave Fawkes.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 02:11 PM

Info on Elspar.
http://www.chemocare.com/bio/elspar.asp

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 02:33 PM

Thank you Connie - it appears that all the specialists in TN are in Knoxville. Ya know, I didn't think about it until now, but I'm right on the border of NC, VA & KY - I should check those states too...

Edited to say - No luck in those states either frown
Posted By: scraptilldawn

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 04:05 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2 I'll stop lurking long enough to let you know my thoughts are with you and Fawkes hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 07:17 PM

The vet called me to let me know that Fawkes had his Elspar injection around 12:30pm - she says he was a trooper and is doing just fine.

I will be picking him up around 5:20pm, so I hope all continues to go well...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 07:24 PM

clap That's great news! Gina, If you haven't already, I suggest that you stop the magnets for now.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 07:44 PM

Gina glad his treatment went well. Keeping you both in our thoughts and that this helps. hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 08:12 PM

Big hugs to you Gina. hug2 Glad he's doing ok, hope you see some improvement in the tumor very soon. hug2
Posted By: cbddallas

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 08:23 PM

hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 08:27 PM

Glad he made it through today. Prayers continue.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 09:24 PM

More prayers and snuggles for Fawkes..and you too Gina! hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 09:40 PM

Gina,
I'm so glad he's doing okay and the injection went well hug2 Continuing to keep you both in my thoughts & prayers hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/28/08 11:16 PM

Gina, I just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are still with you and Fawkes. It seems like I know a disproportionate number of gliders who have had cancer relative to the number of dogs and cats (and humans) who have had it. I just hate that! You hang in there. I'm with ya all the way and I think your decisions have been excellent all the way through!

hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/29/08 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: LSardou
clap That's great news! Gina, If you haven't already, I suggest that you stop the magnets for now.

Well, I just now got to log back on, so he has already had his magnet therapy for tonight, but I won't do it again until you think it's ok.

I am picking up his prednisone after work tomorrow & he will start on it as soon as I get home. I can't remember what the dosing was - I know its one dose for five days, then it changes for 21 days. We will go over it again when I pick it up tomorrow.

I got Fawkes to eat 1/2 a moth & a yogie after his magnet therapy - I know it's not the best snack, but it'll have to do. I'm hoping his appetite will improve quickly.

One thing I will have to ask the vet is how fast it would affect his energy levels, because the boy has been in his wheel non-stop. And he did something that made me stop and do a double take - he head rubbed Cino! I haven't seen him head rub anyone or anything since shortly after he was neutered, and that was about 2 1/2 years ago!

Also, I spoke to Bourbon this evening & his therapeutic wheel will be on its way in a couple of days.

Linda - should I wait to put the wheel in?

Oh ya, and I spoke to Dave the Pharmacist - he has a concoction that he thinks will hide the herbals, he wants me to come taste it tomorrow. It's a mixture of acacia syrup & vanilla flavoring...so stay tuned...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/29/08 12:28 PM

When I got up this morning, the boy was still out playing! I don't know what has gotten into him - maybe he is just feeling better, I dunno. I wonder if it could really work that fast...

He still won't eat - when I say that, I mean he won't take anything from me, I don't know if he's eating at night when I'm not in there. He did refuse to take a moth this morning, which is concerning.

He will start the prednisone this evening, which should increase his appetite *crossing fingers*

I think I'm going to start weighing him daily now, just to track his progress now that he is starting the steroids.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/29/08 12:44 PM

Gina, any sign of improvement is good news. I'm glad to hear taht he has energy to play! Good boy, Fawkes. I think he's going to keep you on your toes. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers, hun.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/29/08 01:03 PM

Well, maybe with all this playing he will be hungry later. Energy is good, and I am hoping it is a sign he feels better. I don't know how that chemo works, but if he is feeling good after getting it, focus on that! Prayers continue.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/29/08 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy1264
I don't know how that chemo works

All chemo works differently - this particular one works by cutting off his supply of asparagine, which is an amino acid essential for cell growth. His normal body functions can happen with the amount of asparagine that his body produces itself, but then he gets more from the food he eats, and this is whats feeding the cancer. The Elspar is an enzyme that will convert the extra asparagine into aspartic acid & ammonia. The ammonia byproduct is what makes the chemo toxic.

By cutting off the "food" that the tumor needs to grow, the tumor cells should start to die. The catch is, is has to be lymphoblastic leukemia, and there is no way to tell the type without a biopsy. We can't do a biopsy because cutting into the tumor could aggravate it.

I believe milk thistle is in Priscilla's vitamins, but since I'm not sure hes eating, I am going to talk to Dr. Kate about starting Fawkes on milk thistle today to help with the possible effects on his liver.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/29/08 02:02 PM

I've been lurking, too, but letting you know I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way and for Fawkes, too.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 12:16 AM

Fawkes had his first dose of prednisone tonight. He gets a high dose twice a day for 5 days, then a maintenance dose twice a day indefinitely. She said we may need to adjust it here and there depending on how he and the cancer react to it. It is raspberry flavor & he really doesn't like it.

I also got the concoction that the pharmacicst came up with - it tastes kind of like molasses when it's all mixed up with the herbals - not yummy, but WAY better than before. Big down side - the smallest amount he could hide the taste in is 2ccs! Thats quite a bit...

I will try it, but I'm going to wait until Fawkes has gotten through his first five days of the high dose of pred, then we'll see how he's feeling & how his weight is. Since he's not eating right now, I know he won't take it willingly, no matter how good it tastes - And I'm not going to stress him further right now.

I'm about to make a little buffet & see if I can get him to at least nibble at something...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 12:25 AM

Gina, When the wheel arrives, yes, it's OK to allow him to use it. The 'pulsed' field in a constant will be enough. I would hold off on the other magnets (pouch and the rotation) for a couple of weeks.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 01:38 AM

HE ATE!!!!!!!! dance jump clap dance jump clap dance jump clap dance jump clap dance jump clap dance jump clap

I made him a buffet of about 10 different things, and what did he eat????? 3 peas, about half of 3 kernels of corn, and shhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell, a bite of pastrami.

Now I know this isn't good glider nutrition, but I'm going to take what I can get right now. Hopefully this sparked his appetite & he'll eat a bit of his normal diet throughout tonight *crossing fingers*

When I gave him his prednisone, I stopped halfway through because he was wheezy, like he had to catch his breath. He seemed fine, so I gave him the rest of the dose. But twice tonight I've heard him doing something that sort of sounds like a cough. I'm wondering if I made him aspirate the pred. It is really thin and I wasn't expecting it to be. I kinda thought it would be like syrup, but it was watery.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 01:55 AM

dance Fawkes ate!!! Yay Gina!!! I'm so happy he is eating for you, let's hope he keeps it up! (with all that yummy food on the buffet, he will!!)

How is he feeling? Still playing good?

If he keeps sounding like he is coughing, you can have his doc check his lungs. I bet he's just fine though! hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 06:30 AM

I'm so glad he ate something for you, I hope he keeps it up (and you know what, if he eats it, I say give it to him!) hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 01:02 PM

Proper glider nutrition when dealing with a health issue really isn't crucial. I'm just glad he ate for you clap That's great news. Hopefully the coughing will have cleared any little bit of the prednisone he may have aspirated. If he's still coughing this morning though, I'm sure you'll get him into your vet right away. hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 02:41 PM

Gina, eating ANYTHING is good! Timmy survived most of his ordeal on just mealies chopped into pieces! I could not get him to touch anything else. Praying very hard for this little guy. You both are fighters and giving it all you have. God bless you both! (And saying extra prayers for having a big appetite tonight!!)

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/30/08 04:47 PM

hug2 Hang in there, you and Fawkes are in our thoughts here. I'm really glad to hear he's feeling better hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 03:14 PM

He ate again yesterday - more peas and corn, still no bugs, but plenty of peas & corn. He wasn't picking at it either, he was grabbing one right after the other!

This morning he ate a little bit off bananas supreme baby food - still no bugs.

The couging is limited to when he actually gets the prednisone now. I tried giving it in really small amounts to be sure I wasn't making him aspirate it, but he still coughs every time I put it in his mouth & for a few minutes after I'm done. So, I tasted it. It's kinda like one of those cough syrups that is a little tingly, so I think he just doesn't like that feeling on his throat & the coughing is his reaction to it. I will still ask Dr. Kate about it on Monday.

I weiged him about an hour ago & he was at 150g - that's down 6g from Thursday. Hopefully he will start gaining now that he's eating.

I'm going to try to get pictures of the wound under the tumor so you guys can see what it looks like. I never saw it open - when I noticed it, it looked like a scab, but its weird, not like a typical scab. Its totally smooth and black. Anyhow, I'll work on pics today...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 04:46 PM

clapThat's wonderful news. Predisone has a tendency to increase appetite, so this is a great help. He's probably tired of 'bugs' by now, and is so happy to see some of his old favorites.
Many prayers and blessings.....
hug2

Originally Posted By: Monster
I'm going to try to get pictures of the wound under the tumor so you guys can see what it looks like. I never saw it open - when I noticed it, it looked like a scab, but its weird, not like a typical scab. Its totally smooth and black. Anyhow, I'll work on pics today...

I am anxious to see the picture. I'm thinking that this could very well the tumor starting to necrose. If so, this is fantastic news!!!
Posted By: Karin

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 05:08 PM

Wonderful news G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 05:41 PM

Wonderful news! Go Fawkes!!!

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 06:35 PM

I'm so glad he's eating for you, that is great news! hug2
Posted By: silverwolf

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 06:46 PM

Great news gina I have been one of your lurkers. I am so glad he is eating now. If it makes you feel any more relaxed when I would give Ariel her one medicine she would caugh also she just didnt like it and would try and caugh it out. I hope this is what fawkes is doing. It is probably his way of saying mom I can't take this medcine anymore see it makes me caugh just like a little kid would.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 06:46 PM

Has the tumor decreased in size at all?

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 07:55 PM

Gina, there is a baby food called Country Breakfast, I think made by Beechnut. Dr. Williams approved it for Peanut when she wouldn't eat. It has lots of protein, NO garlic or onions or anything bad in it. She gained weight eating it and LOVED it.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 09:10 PM

Gina - does he like snuggeling in a pouch?? if so - then being the kook I am I'd pouch him and carry him every where I went to make sure he was okay and mommy was with him - Just my thought

I will pray for him and hopefully these treatments will work and he'll be back to his old self shortly

Sue
Mommy to Junior
and other 2 and 4
legged babies

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 08/31/08 11:23 PM

Wonderful news that Fawkes is eating. My prayers are with you both. You are a FANTASTIC glider mum and all of us here are with you and Fawkes all the way.

Big, big (((((HUGS!!!)))))

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:19 AM

Ok, sorry it took so long, but my camera was dead, blah blah blah... This is a clickable thumbnail, so you can make it much larger.

Fawkes is still eating. Our new routine is - I put him in his carrier with a bowl of veggies, he picks out all the peas & corn, then he comes out & tells me he's done. Then he gets his meds - this part sux! He coughs the whole time, no matter how little I give him. I get to lower his dose Wednesday evening, so I look forward to that. Then I put him back in his rept with another bowl of veggies & he takes turns running in his wheel & munching on peas & corn. Still no bugs...

Linda - that was my thought to, that the tumor was necrosing from the outside - I just didn't know it could do that, I thought if & when it died, it would do it inside his body.

Even though this looks like it was a big wound, there was NEVER a wound. It started as what looked like a very small scab, and has steadily grown to what you see in the pic (which was taken about 30 mins ago). It is crusty and hard, but not like a scab - like, I don't think I could pick it off - not sure if that makes sense. Also, I don't know how many of you have ever had one of your sugs find a scab on your arm or something, but they ALWAYS try to take it off for you - none of Fawkes family has touched this or messed with it at all!

I will have to get the Country Breakfast - I have built up quite a stockpile of different foods for him (since his tastes were changing daily).

The tumor looks smaller to me, but nt drastically smaller like I would have expected if the treatment were working. I am not giving up yet, he still has a couple more days on the high dose of pred, and maybe he just takes a bit longer. Dr. Tristan did say that it may take 2 treatments to work. Still, I believe there has been some difference, not just in the size of the tumor, but definitly in his appetite and energy level, so I think it was worth it.

Thanks again for tuning in & all the advice (((HUGS)))
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:30 AM

Gina, glad to hear Fawkes is doing well. At least he is eating now. Have you tried to sprinkle his veggies with HP Wombaroo powder by chance?

So I am taking this to mean there has been no ill side effects from this treatment right? That has to be a good sign.

If you were to do another treatment, when did you say you would have to do it?

You should also try to measure the width of that from the outside to keep an eye on it and check it to make sure it is shrinking.

Sounds positive so far though.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:31 AM

Gina, It looks exactly the same as the tumors that we treated at the UofA..... The Melanoma in Medical terms is referred to as the PS1273 - we had several Dermatologists that used the same magnets that I gave you. After 6 weeks of exposure the tumors necrosed and deterioated.

I think that things were starting to work with the therapy (magnets). smile

If you haven't received the therapy wheel, go ahead and put his magnets back in his sleeping pouch but don't do the rotation just yet.

I am anxious to hear what the Vet says when she sees this.

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Srlb
Have you tried to sprinkle his veggies with HP Wombaroo powder by chance?

No - Since I just barely got him eating again, I don't want to alter the taste of his food and turn him off of it.

So I am taking this to mean there has been no ill side effects from this treatment right? That has to be a good sign.

There were no side effects from the Elspar that I could see - obviously I couldn't ask him if he felt tired or sick, etc. But he didn't appear to be negatively affected. The prednisone gives him a cough that goes away within 10 seconds of swallowing. I believe this has something to do with the sensation it makes on his throat, but will be talking to Dr. Kate about it to make sure. The good side effects of the treatment - increased appetite and energy!

If you were to do another treatment, when did you say you would have to do it?

3 - 4 weeks from the first dose, so somewhere between 18-25th of September.

I thought about the measuring, but a lot of it is flat. The way I try to explain it is that the tumor is like a fried egg. The large lump that I noticed first is like the yolk, but then it spreads out flat all around the area in sort of a haphazard way. Then he has the smaller roundish tumor under his arm, which has the same "egg" effect. I would almost have to figure out a way to safely trace the tumor on his fur. And I'm not so sure I could "Sharpie" my boy without TOTally coloring outside the lines, so to speak...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: LSardou
Gina, It looks exactly the same as the tumors that we treated at the UofA..... The Melanoma in Medical terms is referred to as the PS1273 - we had several Dermatologists that used the same magnets that I gave you. After 6 weeks of exposure the tumors necrosed and deterioated.

I think that things were starting to work with the therapy (magnets). smile

If you haven't received the therapy wheel, go ahead and put his magnets back in his sleeping pouch but don't do the rotation just yet.

I am anxious to hear what the Vet says when she sees this.

Fantastic! I'll get the magnets back in his pouch tonight. I don't have the wheel yet, Bourbon was looking for a box to ship it out in, so hopefully she found one this weekend.

I thought this was weird the way it just kept growing & growing. I'm going to email Dr. Kate pics tonight & call her in the am...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:45 AM

Your both still in my thoughts. I'm so glad to hear hes eating (Something is better then nothing!). He liked ensure..Have you tried different flavors? Maybe he'd like another flavor. (I can imagine your kitchen right now...Like 20 different half used jars of stuff since hes being picky, lol!) I hope he eats more! Is he drinking any, and, have you tried crickets? I know they arnt very good..But he might enjoy chasing them since hes being so energetic recently. Your such a great suggie mommy, he's so lucky!

hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:47 AM

Celeste - it's funny you mentioned the drinking, because that's one thing I did notice with this new treatment (Elspar/Prednisone), he is SO thirsty. He is always drinking water. I'm sure part of it has to do with his increased activity, but I bet that is a side effect of one of the drugs...

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:58 AM

Well, drinking lots is better then being dehydrated! Maybe put some juice in it for a little treat for him? And I saw he had a problem pooping now. Pumpkin juice is recommended, but I'm not entirely sure how much. I think 2 tbspoons, but don't hold me to that! I bet its nice to see him running around again though! ^^. Best of luck with him..I'm still lurking! grin hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 01:13 AM

Thank you for the update Gina! I get very worried if I don't see you write something...within a few hours. LOL

Prayers being said for Fawkes and you too. You need lots of strength yourself right now. HUGS

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 02:20 AM

I've been following this thread for awhile. I'm glad that he's started eating a bit again! When I was on pred a few months ago, I gained a ton of weight because I couldn't control my hunger. I was hungry all of the time...even 1 hour after eating a big meal. So hopefully some of that effect will happen to Fawkes (I say "some" because hopefully he won't gain 40 pounds like I did..haha!).

Good luck with the treatments. hug2 You both will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 10:35 AM

Gina, From the picture, I can tell that it's definitely not a scab (as you've noted) because there is still fur on it. I agree with you & Linda that it appears to be necrosing. It will be interesting to hear what your vet has to say about it.
Still lurking here and still sending lots of hugs & prayers your way hug2 hug2 hug2

off_topic P.S. Did you ever get the toys?

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 12:41 PM

Gina, our concept of 'glider food' is a bit warped, really. Most of it is already people food in disguise. What is the difference between baby food meat and meat boiled whole? Water and a blender. But my gliders will go crazy for baked turkey or roast beef in a crock pot cooked without seasonings-and it's probably better for them than the post processing of babyfood.

When Gim was critical he went on a "whatever he would eat' diet for months. He should have died then (he actually did, in fact, and was brought back with CPR), but we had him another two years even with that failing liver. Both he and Chronos amazed every vet that met them.

Here are some foods that might tempt Fawkes's appetite, provide some variety, and most important-none of it will hurt him. (Well, it wouldn't be great for him as a lifelong thing, but temporarily is all right) Some of it has some sugars (so do the foods we use as part of approved diets, if you get down to chemistry-glucose, fructose, etc)-not a lot of refined white sugar though, and possibly a small amount of salt-which won't hurt if not overdone.

Blueberry muffin
banana bread or muffin
If you have a Mimi's cafe, the honey soaked bran muffins were a hit here
Quaker granola (honey and nut kind)-softened or not
ice cream or sorbet (no chocolate), milkshake or whipped cream, melted-don't overdo tho.
cheese
macaroni and cheese (people kind-not too much)
Creamed corn
plain cooked spaghetti noodles
baked (in bag works well and keeps it tender) or crock pot cooked chicken, turkey, beef
mashed potatoes-cooked according to people directions
au gratin potatoes
warmed canned veggies (peas, corn, green beans, sweet potatoes, asparagus, white potatoes, chick peas, whatever)-you can try even a tiny bit of butter to get him interested
bread/rolls (not too much, they're usually enriched with iron)
make a chicken dumplings & veggies for dinner and pull some for him

If the components are okay for him-give them a try. You don't want huge amounts of salt and the same spices are still a no-onion, garlic, etc-but there are a lot of things you can try that will help round out the nutrition he's getting at least if you can find things he likes. The salt and fat content of his diet will go up a bit, but not too much if you're careful. Gim basically ate what we did as long as it wasn't harmful, and I was exremely careful about adding salt or butter, but it was in his mashed potatoes just as the recipe said to make it-he ate it when he would eat nothing else-I can't remember everything but everything above he had, and then some.

If you haven't tried Boost as an alternate to the Ensure, it might be worth a try.

Once Gim's health started coming back we got him back on more proper 'glider food' again (though he'd still get some of his favorite people foods as treats now and then), but had we refused to try, he wouldn't have made it-he wouldn't eat and trying to force it down stressed him into bringing it back up every time.

And Riker's tried french fries a few times-they're one of his favorite rare treats. He also loves green bell pepper off a pizza. Shhh.

I take prednisone tapers (corticosteroids) 3 or 4 times a year when my neck/back get inflamed too bad-the thirst is normal. It will have to be tapered off gradually if he is ever okayed to come off of it.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned in relation to the steroids (although I might have missed it) is the increased chance of infections-including in wounds, or respiratory, from it's use. Watch for that, and start an antibiotic immediately if you think he might be getting an infection AT ALL-ask your vet for a recommendation, considering his other meds, for one to keep on hand in reserve for if it should be needed. Infections caused by steroid use can progress very quickly and become severe faster than normal, because of how steroids affect the immune system. Have a dose calculated so you know how much to give already if it's needed.

I've not been able to get on much, but I always read here first when I do. All our thoughts and prayers are with you guys! hug2

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 03:41 PM

K...stopped by the store after work to try and remember other things we fed when the glider wouldn't eat, and both SOME nutrition, and keeping food processing through the system was at issue. Here's some more things Gim and Chronos had:

popcorn
cheesecake (filling only)
banana cream pie
Scrambled eggs (made with milk) with cheese on it
flour tortilla
rice
pudding
graham crackers
fettuccini alfredo (with or without chicken)
pasta primavera with white sauce (no onions, etc)
pot pie
pancakes (plain)
cream of asparagus soup
chicken nuggets (fingers, strips)

Babyfoods:
Gerber Sweet Corn Casserole
Gerber sweet potatoes with glazed carrots (very sweet-in a tub with a purple lid)

Re: Fawkes Has Lymphoma - Part 3 - 09/02/08 04:23 PM

See Part 4 here
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL