GliderCENTRAL

Lepto Virus?

Posted By: krysKritters

Lepto Virus? - 09/10/10 05:08 PM

I have someone who asked me for help. Thier glider has lepto virus. What is this? I never heard of it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Lepto Virus? - 09/10/10 05:20 PM

Hmm, most of the stuff I found was about dogs and Lepto virus. Here is some info I found:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/disease1.html#Lept

Re: Lepto Virus? - 09/10/10 05:22 PM

it is short for Leptospirosis....here is a link to wikepedia (I think I can put it here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

Re: Lepto Virus? - 09/10/10 06:27 PM

The girl says her glider has it. Its rare and the glider bite her and passed it to her. The vet was not very helpful but she is searching for someone to help her. Most people are telling her to put the glider down! Thankfully she disagrees and found me for support, as she is inexperienced.
Posted By: jacknsally

Re: Lepto Virus? - 09/10/10 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: krysKritters
The girl says her glider has it. Its rare and the glider bite her and passed it to her. The vet was not very helpful but she is searching for someone to help her. Most people are telling her to put the glider down! Thankfully she disagrees and found me for support, as she is inexperienced.

Lepto is passed through urine and if not treated in humans can cause serious damage including renal failure and such. There is treatment for the glider as well.

Re: Lepto Virus? - 09/10/10 08:42 PM

Lepto is commonly passed through rat urine. I know someone who died from it but that was in my home country and we do not have the medical advancements that the U.S has.
It is treatable with antibiotics but it needs to happen quickly.

Re: Lepto Virus? - 09/10/10 11:46 PM

Yes, urine... sorry forgot to mention. I guess it was during play time and after he had bit her he was urinating or marking? Anyway, that is how she got it. She is on antibiotics and the glider is being brought to my vet per my reccomendation. She had a hard time finding a vet...

So it is only passed through the urine? Apparently she has had him about 6 weeks and he was from a "shady exotic collector." SO they figure this is where he got it from, one of the other exotics. Are there any symptoms to look for?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL