GliderCENTRAL

Everything Zoey!!!

Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Everything Zoey!!! - 08/21/15 04:12 PM

Alright dear friends and followers of Zoey, she needs your prayers. Zoey was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure after an xray. Her lungs are completely filled with fluid.

Don't get teary-eyed just yet though, it's NOT a death sentence! Congestive heart failure is treatable and manageable. It will shorten her lifespan considerably, but it's a lot better than the alternative.... X_X

So Zoey's treatment plan is as follows: Baytril for any bacterial infection that may be presents and Lasiks to get rid of the fluid that has filled her lungs. If she responds well to the Lasiks we might try nebulizer treatments to further dry up her lungs and keep the fluid at bay.

Right now we have meds, a plan and HOPE! As long as Zoey is willing to fight, I will do anything and everything I have to to get her the help she needs. heart mlove heart
Posted By: Ittermat

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/21/15 04:19 PM

Good luck Krissy! You know Im right behind you 100%!
I hope this works and she gets better!

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/21/15 04:24 PM

Thanks Serra, me too! But you know me, if there's even a glimmer of hope I'll chase it down!
Posted By: Ittermat

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/21/15 04:40 PM

I see nothing wrong with that <3 You're wonderful <3
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/22/15 01:41 PM

hug2 for you and Zoey.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/22/15 02:37 PM

Keep up the fight Zoey, your momma will never give up on ya!

Keeping you and Zoey's condition in my prayers.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/22/15 04:44 PM

Thanks. I've set up a facebook page just for Zoey for faster, more direct updates. And PICTURES!!!! https://www.facebook.com/StayStrongZoey

Her official hashtag is #StayStrongZoeySG (#StayStrongZoey was already taken)

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/28/15 05:54 PM

Well for anybody wondering, Zoey is doing a lot better. Unfortunately she's been spitting out her medicine and I don't know what to do about it. I've tried several ways to get her to swallow it but she's smart and will hold it in her mouth until I sit her down to work up some spit and sling it out of her mouth.

Uggghhhh.... She's driving me nuts with this behavior!!! I love her but Dang it Zoey!!! You have to SWALLOW the medicine for it to do any good!!! I just don't know how to make her understand this. frown Help?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/29/15 01:52 AM

Burrito her, give her the meds and then rub her nose until she swallows. She is going to be mad at you but tell her to suck it up!

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/29/15 04:19 PM

Huh, I didn't know rubbing her nose would make her swallow it. I did cover her nose with my finger tip a couple of times for a second or 2 until she swallowed. It kinda worked. And she doesn't bite me, she just squirms and doesn't want the medicine. But that's just too bad. :nanana:

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 04:11 AM

It is a trick I learned a long time ago medicating dogs. Rub their nose and they lick, to lick they must swallow.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 02:36 PM

Well I tried it and Zoey is a smart one.... When licking she pushes the medicine to the corners of her mouth and lets it leak out. Any other tricks? This kid is driving me nuts with this. tant :willy: :tant2: mad :splash:

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 02:50 PM

Sorry you are having so much trouble with this smart little one and the meds. I wish I had a never fail trick to offer you.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 04:24 PM

If she has a favorite 'licky' treat - offer her a small amount of it plain to get her started then switch to a small amount the same treat with the medicine - and follow up with more of the plain treat.

Have you tried plain baby food fruits? I notice Gerber now packages these in multi packs with 6 or 8 tiny 1 ounce (maybe 2 oz) servings for the first introduction of fruits for babies.

That would reduce the waste since these only keep for a few days once opened and it takes a glider for ever to eat a whole jar when used just for licky treats.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 04:28 PM

I hadn't tried that yet Candy, I will try it. She really likes whipped topping so I might taint that. LOL She might just get smart and not trust me for ruining her treats though. rofl But dang it, she's GOT to take that medicine!!! Speaking of.... Oh Zoeyyyyyyy.... BRB.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 06:56 PM

When I needed to medicate my little dragon, I used a syringe to inject meds into a wax worm and then feed it to him. It worked most of the time.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 07:12 PM

I'm going to try that when I can get a syringe with a needle. All I have is like 5 insulin syringes with no needles and a huge one, also no needle on it. And I need to order more mealies.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 08/30/15 07:15 PM

Zoey has lost over 20 grams of water weight since starting Lasiks. She looks so thin now. worried But it's for the best, she is getting better, it's just slow with her lungs.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/03/15 01:07 AM

Well everybody Zoey is doing much better now! She's still breathing harder than she should but she's got more energy and she can get around without getting winded so fast. :yes: And we have a re-check appointment for next Tuesday. Can't wait for good news!

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/03/15 01:15 AM

clap

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/03/15 02:16 PM

Very good to hear, Kris.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/03/15 02:31 PM

Thanks ladies.

Good news and bad news today....

The good news is that Zoey is breathing much better, no more huffing and puffing. grin

The bad news is we just ran out of the Lasixs. frown Oh well, just have to call the vet and have him compound some more. Might even ask for a big bottle (5ml size or so, It's big to us LOL) and see if we can just use that to refill the small vial.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/06/15 02:46 PM

How is Zoey doing? Still improving a bit?

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/06/15 04:19 PM

She's getting better. The day without medicine was a big setback but she is okay. Just making sniffling sounds which I hope will clear up within a day or 2. She's still active, eating, drinking and going potty normally. smile Should be back to normal in about a week.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/06/15 05:42 PM

grin

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/06/15 06:09 PM

Glad to hear!

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/09/15 02:43 PM

Ugh... Well Zoey was getting better but today she seems worse. worried She's breathing harder again and she just looks "tired" I hope my baby gets better soon. She's taking her medicine(mixed with yogurt)... Maybe she's getting too much dairy? She takes the Lasix 2-3 times a day. I jst want her to stabilize.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 09/30/15 09:20 PM

Zoey is doing well. She still resists me when taking medicine but I get enough in her to work so it's worth the fight. She makes a funny sound breathing now so I call her my little helicopter. rofl She's silly as ever.

I got some hornworms last week but I think I'm allergic to them. :sick: My eyes were itchy, watery, and swollen, my nose was running and I couldn't stop sneezing! I will have to be very careful when handling them and wash my hands well afterward until they're gone.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/01/15 02:02 PM

Good to hear Zoey is doing better.

Ummm, I would trash those hornworms, eewww

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/01/15 08:21 PM

I made a craigslist ad for them today. I have got to get rid of these things! My eyes get so raw when I have a reaction... cry It's terrible.

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/02/15 04:50 PM

Well my dear friends the fight is over. Zoey was struggling to breathe so I did the kindest thing and took her to the vet for the long nap. I'm so thankful that she don't have to suffer anymore. She had come so far and overcome so many obstacles. She knows I loved her so, so much and she loved me just as much but now she can free to glide with her beloved mate Smoke and cuddle with Mary. She will miss her friends and family but it's not goodbye forever; when each of you are ready you can join her. Zoey loves you all friends and she'll see you over the rainbow bridge! Farewell friends from Zoey! :rbridge:
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/02/15 05:00 PM

Kris, I am so sorry to hear about Zoey, I know you will have all the great love and memories from her to keep you comforted, but know that we are here for you.

Phil
Posted By: mechnut450

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/02/15 05:01 PM

Kris so sorry to hear of Zoey passing
Posted By: dinah505

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/02/15 06:58 PM

So Sorry for your loss

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/02/15 10:01 PM

Kris,

I am very sorry for your loss. May you find peace and comfort in your memories of Zoey.

Glide Free Little Zoey :rbridge:
Posted By: sandbat

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/03/15 06:34 AM

I am so sorry. frown

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/03/15 01:24 PM

Kris, I am so very sorry. Zoey gave it all she had fighting to stay with you, and you gave her the greatest gift of love you could at the end hug2
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/03/15 10:24 PM

:sorry:

hug2

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/05/15 01:23 PM

Thanks everyone. It was hard to let go but it's what she wanted. She was always loved and she knew it. She knew I would do anything to make her happy.
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Everything Zoey!!! - 10/05/15 04:40 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss!
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL