GliderCENTRAL

Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic...

Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 02:41 PM

It is with deep sorrow that I have to type this cry
Last night, I had to drive Mambo to Akron (45 miles away) to have him put to sleep. I had carried him with me all day and put him in his cage for just an hour while I made and ate dinner. When I went to feed him, he came running out of his pouch as always. I was horrified to see his chest covered in blood.
Of course, I immediately got him out and ran to the living room with him to show Ed. There was so much blood we couldn't see the damage, so I took him to the bathroom and gave him a quick bath to clean off the blood. That revealed the true damage - he had completely opened his chest and just below the sternum I could see his internal organs exposed cry I knew, then, that it was too late for him.
I immediately called Bourbon, and she confirmed what I already knew... there was no hope for him at that point. I dried him off, wrapped him burrito-style so he couldn't do further damage with his hands, feet or mouth, and tried to call my vet. Of course, they were already closed and the ER vet they referred to on their answering machine only sees cats & dogs. They wouldn't even see Mambo for euthanization frown So, I knew that I had to drive him to Akron. It was raining to beat the band, but I persisted and got him there in just under an hour. They said he went peacefully. They were sweet and cleaned him up further and stitched up his little chest heart

I only had him for just over two months. He was exactly 3 months old yesterday... 2/01/09 - 5/01/09
Sweet Gliding, my Little Mambo Magic gangel I know you are with Pika & Cricky, Combara, Little Cricky, Bobo & Reggie now at the Rainbow Bridge, gliding around Jesus...
~~~~~~~~~~
History:
Mambo has had health issues ever since I got him from Denise/Minkasmom while at the FIBB in TN in February. Mambo had been pulled from his mother (Minka) while she was recovering from a tail injury. While in TN, Mambo developed some sort of eye infection which caused both of his inner eyelids not to open. After almost a month, they finally did open, but we had thought he was going to be permanently blind.
Mambo's feces never solidified the way that a normal joey's will. They remained soft and unformed throughout his short life. I had him tested for bacterial infection and parasites over a month ago, and again almost two weeks ago. Both times, the tests came back negative.
On Monday, April 20th, I awoke in the wee hours of the morning to the sound of Mambo making the SM noise. I found him attacking his chest and scraping it raw with his teeth. I immediately put him in an e-collar and kept him in the collar until that Thursday evening. At that point, his chest had scabbed over. I had brought him to see my vet on that Tuesday and although the tests came back negative, she started him on a course of Panacur (an antiparasitic). He had already been on a course of Clavamox (an antibacterial) the previous month after the first tests came back negative. He was recuperating well and leaving his chest alone. I was applying Silver Sulfadiazine Cream to the scabbed area twice per day, as per Dr. West's instructions.
I went to TN for the TGI Glider Expo last weekend. Mambo did well throughout the weekend. Upon arrival home on this past Monday evening, things were still going well. On Tuesday morning, I awoke to find Mambo trying to remove the scab that had formed. I immediately put him back into the e-collar for the morning. After that, I carried him in my bra almost constantly. Whenever he would try to groom his chest, I nudged him with my finger and he stopped. Again, all seemed to be going well until last night... It was a shock to find that after being left alone for less than an hour he had self-mutilated to the extent that he had.
Dr. West came in this morning (on her day off) to do Mambo's gross necropsy. Examination found no significant abnormalities and no obvious parasitic involvement. Tissue samples are being sent to a lab in CA that specializes in exotics. Hopefully they will yield some insight on why little Mambo had the issues he did...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 02:47 PM

hug2 Suz I am so sorry for your loss hug2

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 02:54 PM

God Speed Little Mambo. cry
Posted By: Feather

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 03:00 PM

Sue,

I am sorry for your loss. May your memories of your short time together comfort you in the days to come.

Glide Free little one.

Deepest Sympathy,
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 03:08 PM

Oh, Suz
I'm so very sorry for your loss. So sorry.
Posted By: tbull

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 03:12 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: Dalysugar

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 03:37 PM

Suz,
I don't seem to have the words to tell you how I feel...
Sorry for your loss!
Thank you for loving this little one!
Hugs to you and prayers for you!

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 03:41 PM

I'm sorry for both you and Denise's loss of Mambo!
Posted By: DeeDancer

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 04:12 PM

Oh, I am so sorry for you and Denise. You obviously did everything you could. cry The most comforting thought is that Mambo feels no more pain where he is now.
Posted By: Dani4Hedgies

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 04:29 PM

Am so sorry to hear about poor Mambo and know that now he is running and climbing and eating mealies waiting for the day that the two of you can be reunited over the Rainbow Bridge. (Hugs)
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 06:45 PM

Suz, my heart is just shattered. I have spent the morning playing alll the scenarios over & over in my head (the shoulda/coulda/woulda ones) but I know that it's pointless. I feel so badly for all the emotional roller coasters that Mambo put you through...but I'm still hopeful that SOME KIND of answer will be found to explain why it all happened. And even if I could turn back time and re-do everything, I still couldn't think of any glider mom more loving than you are.

There's another precious twinkling star in the sky... cry
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 06:49 PM

suz I am so sorry for the loss of your little one
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 06:57 PM

Suz and Denise I am so sorry for your loss of little Mambo. Hugs and kisses and more hugs to both of you.

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 07:17 PM

Thank you, everyone for your kind words, thoughts & prayers. They mean a LOT to me right now. I have been so depressed since I found him last night. This is really hitting me much harder than any of my previous losses. I think it's because he was so young and such a little character. He really captured my heart heart

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
Suz, my heart is just shattered. I have spent the morning playing alll the scenarios over & over in my head (the shoulda/coulda/woulda ones) but I know that it's pointless. I feel so badly for all the emotional roller coasters that Mambo put you through...but I'm still hopeful that SOME KIND of answer will be found to explain why it all happened. And even if I could turn back time and re-do everything, I still couldn't think of any glider mom more loving than you are.

There's another precious twinkling star in the sky... cry
Denise, thank you so much for this sentiment... it means so much more to me than you can ever know. I just keep crying & crying today cry I love you! hug2
Posted By: DirtyPaws

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 07:33 PM

I am so sorry for you guys that this has happenend. He must have been a real Booger ~ and I mean that sweetly.

I think Suz was put here to take care of these babies.

Please don't beat yourself up. You do so much for the gliders and our community. You are an angel. I am so sorry his last today was so devistating.

Healing prayers coming your way! hug2

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 07:42 PM

cry

Suz,
I am so sorry. Poor lil Mambo, God Speed lil one. He's resting in a better place where there is no more pain.

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 07:42 PM

this is sooo sad...

I am so sorry you and Mambo had to go through this..

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 07:44 PM

I also know how you feel, an unexpected loss is hard to swallow.

Sorry for your loss.

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 08:06 PM

Suz, Mambo was here long enough for you to design your POUCHEE and your JOEY BRA/BONDING POUCH and ADULT BRA/BONDING POUCH. Every time you sell one of these, every time I hear someone talk about them and every time I see one of them, I will thank GOD that Mambo Magic made lives better for others.

GODSPEED Little Mambo Magic. Aunt Leigh and Cousin Colby will miss you as will Magic, Merridoc, Max and Maisie.
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 08:11 PM

suz, also something to put in the bottom of you addendum, please edit it to include that Mambo was also held in stasis for far too long, he was a little miracle baby in every sense of the word, never meant to be here in the first place, survived being pulled from mom very early (due to moms medical issues)and all his reoccurring issues afterwards but he touched so many hearts the short time he was here.

you know I am here for you if you need to say nothing... i love ya girl, my heart and prayers are with you.

For those that are not familiar with the "true sm's" there seldom is a reason found for what they do, necropsies have never shown anything to help but with each one we have we hope that at some time somewhere we find something, anything at all.
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 09:28 PM

Oh Suz I am so sorry for your loss cry
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 09:30 PM

hug2 I am so sorry.
Posted By: Izzyandrileysmom

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 09:37 PM

Suz and momma Denise....please know that you are in my prayers....I love you both and am here to listen if you want to talk, or just have a shoulder to cry on...

Godspeed Mambo Magic...Sister Maggie and the crew will miss you sorely!!!!
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 09:57 PM

I am so sorry for your loss Suz. How absolutely heartbreaking cry

Pat

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 10:19 PM

Suz, I'm so sorry for you and Denise. Both of you know little Mambo touched many for the short time he was here. I also look at it like Leigh said, he was put here for a reason. Look at all you learned and was able to accomplish from your time with him. Someday, somewhere what you have learned from Mambo will be passed on and possibly save another little one. I love you both and if either of you need to talk you know how to reach me.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/02/09 10:28 PM

Suz and Denise I am very sorry for your loss. hug2
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/03/09 12:23 AM

Oh, Suz and Denise, how heartbroken you must be. As I said in an earlier post, it doesn't matter how long we have them when it comes to crawling in our heart. They steal a piece of it and we never want it back. Little Mambo was here for a reason and his legacy will never die.

Heart hugs for you!

Sharing your tears........... cry

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/03/09 03:45 AM

I was just in shock when I came across this post, I almost didn't see it. I'm so very very sorry for both Suz and Denise - I know how much you both tried, I know Denise was heartbroken when he had to be left with Suz, it was a hard decision but Minka needed you. Suz, I know you were happy to add him to your family and be able to help put Denise's mind at rest at the same time. Words just can't express how sorry I am to hear that this has happened. He knew he was loved, not only by both of you but by those of us that got to know him at the FIBB.
Posted By: sandbat

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/03/09 03:47 AM

I'm so sorry. frown
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/03/09 06:07 AM

If I am not mistaken it was for mambo that the emergency Joey kit was made, so in a sense.. mambo 's legacy will live on so many other joeys can live on..

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/04/09 10:09 AM

You are correct, Bourbon. The Joey Pouchee Kit was invented because of Mambo. I had to take him to work with me every day for his feedings so I called Karen and asked her to make a special bag for me to use to store all the hand-feeding supplies in. In addition, I came up with the Joey Bra Pouch for him that I now offer. It took many prototypes, but I finally came up with the right design. PLUS, I came up with the booklet "My Joey's Vital Statistics Booklet" for keeping track of weights, feedings, etc. in an easy-to-access size so it is more transportable than a full-sized sheet of paper.
Mambo's legacy will certainly live on mlove
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Sweet Gliding, Little Mambo Magic... - 05/07/09 06:13 AM

Suz, I already spoke with you on the phone, but here's some more hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

And like I said...it's NOT okay...it hurts...and I'm here for you if you need it-and feel your pain. Godspeed little one.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL