GliderCENTRAL

I lost my twins tonight

Posted By: tbull

I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 09:06 AM

I lost Star's joeys tonight. Sorry if there are typos, still can't stop crying. I had a weird feeling and went down afew minutes ago to check on everyone before going to bed.

I found Star on a hammock with the lue boy, she had torn off his back leg. I got him away from her. I thought he was gone and laid him down on some fleece to quickly check on the little girl. She was still in the pouch without a mark on her. I saw that my leu boy was still breathing, so I put the girl back in the pouch and rushed to warm him up and call the vet. My son was stayed right by the cage. The boy died in my hand while I was talking to the vet. I was only away from the cage for maybe 5 minutes while I tried to warm the boy. I got the pouch back out to check on the girl again and she was already torn open. She too died in my hands with her chest fully laid open. My son was standing by the cage the whole time and heard not one squeak. How could she have killed both in so short a time. I have wrapped both in a fleece blankie and put them together in a box for burial tomorrow.
I never thought this would happen. Star was such a great mom with Smoo. Now both Star and Orion are barking at the cage door for their babies.

I'll never understand this, she hid one of the joeys for the whole IP time, I only knew she had two when I saw two little bottoms sticking out. They came OOP 2 days ago. I was feeding mom extra yogurt and mealies in the pouch each afternoon, and she was being so sweet to the joeys. I heard her doing the "get off me " shimmy and shake earlier tonight, but I hear that all the time from my moms when they want to come out to eat. I wasn't concerned, and obviously I should have been.

Thanks for listening, I have to go.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 09:18 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your joeys...i could not imagine losing two at one time...it was hard enough for me losing my one the other nite...my thoughts and prayers are with u and ur family, human and glider....
Posted By: Lynsie

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 09:45 AM

I am so sorry you had to experience such a gruesome thing and that you lost your babies. *hugs*
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 10:03 AM

I'm so sorry T hug2

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 01:43 PM

~~hugs~~
Im so sorry for your loss T!!!!!!!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 02:17 PM

T, I'm so very sorry cry hug2 Sadly, sometimes we never know WHY the joeys get rejected/cannibalized shakehead My heart goes out to you, hun hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: JayAndDiana

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 02:50 PM

So sorry for your loss T.. hug2
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 05:07 PM

I am so very sorry. How heartbreaking this must be for all of you! I will light a candle for these two little angels. Again, I am so very sorry.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 05:27 PM

cry I am so sorry sweetie that this has happened. Like Suz said, we just don't understand why things like this happen. Nature and all it's wonderment holds a mystery that man my never lean.
Good Speed Little Ones gangel and much love and prayers to you and their mommy and daddy. hug2

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 05:39 PM

I AM SOooo sorry...that it terrable. Just don't blame yourself...you OBVIOUSLY are a great glider mom and have done everything that you can do.

**She asked why there was no squeel from the joeys....I too want to know the answer to this???
Posted By: Judie

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 05:47 PM

I am so sorry for your loss of the two wee ones. confused
Posted By: Karin

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 06:39 PM

hug2 I am so sorry T. Godspeed little ones gangel .

Karin

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 08:04 PM

Thank you all for your kind words. I checked on mom and dad and they are doing fine. I on the other hand am still crying, still confused, and still hurting inside. There was no reason this should have happened. Both joeys were so healthy looking. If fact I only saw the boy, not nursing, once.
When I got the girl out to check her after finding my boy, she was warm, with a full tummy. Not one scratch anywhere. Thats the only reason I put her back in the pouch when I called my vet. cry cry

I am thankful that both were able to pass over being held in my hand being told they were loved.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 09:06 PM

hug2 hug2 We went through the very same thing last year on Christmas Day, I did manage to save one, Sarah Ann. It hurts so so bad and not a day goes by that I don't think about Sarah's sister Mary Ann. I had just put her back in not 15 minutes before it happened.

I feel absolutely terrible for you. Losing a joey is almost like losing a child to some of us. Only time will help your pain.

Don't blame yourself or beat yourself up with the "what ifs" and "whys" cause you will never know the answer. Know that it wasn't anything to be avoided as you are a great glider mommy. Gliders are still "wild" with their wild instincts. Give extra love to the mommy and daddy because they are grieving too. I know it's hard right now but as much as it's not your fault ...it's not theirs either. It took me a very long time to understand and come to grips with what happened here.

Love and HUGS..Prayers sent for you, mommy and daddy..and their joeys in heaven
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/16/07 10:39 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. hug2

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/17/07 01:17 AM

I am sorry for your loss, it is such a tough loss, but I'm sure they were comforted by the fact that you were able to hold them when they slipped away.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/17/07 02:52 AM

T, I'm so sorry to read about this loss.

Like Suz said, there's a mystery in the animal world that we humans aren't privvy to. It makes things like this very hard for us to understand WHY things happen like they do. All we can do is cry, grieve, and go forward.

Obviously Star knew something about them that we don't. Some day, when WE cross the Rainbow Bridge, I'm hopeful that ALL the mysteries will be shown to us.

Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/17/07 03:54 AM

T,
So sorry to hear of your loss. Sending healing prayers your way. Sweetie be assured those babies did know that you loved them.

Anita

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/18/07 06:31 AM

T- i am very sorry for your lose on your babies hug2. i know that you are a great suggie mommie cause i do know you. i would loved to have seen pictures of them when they got bigger. hugs and prayers

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/18/07 07:58 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/18/07 01:50 PM

T, I just seen this.

I am so sorry for your loss. hug2

Prayers going out that your heart will mend.

Re: I lost my twins tonight - 12/18/07 03:05 PM

Thank you, I took Star and Orion (Orion was pretty much just there for emotional support and treats ) to the vet to make sure there was no pouch infection or anything, she was pretty puffy and you could tell she has been cleaning her pouch alot, but everything is good.

Talking to my vet helped alittle. He said what he thinks "May" have happened was, the little boy was nursing so much and maybe alittle hard and when Star tried to pull him off, she accidently hurt him. Then felt she needed to "clean up" When I snatched him up away from her and turning on the lights, all the commosion of me crying and calling the vet, she gotscared and confused and hurt her girl. He said it doesn't mean she won't be a good mom again, just that things happen. She is already in heat again, so I will be carrying her and Orion with me for a few days to try to stop any mating for this cycle.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL