GliderCENTRAL

pinkie joey oop

Posted By: Anonymous

pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 05:28 AM

My female glider "Kinkachoo" came out to eat tonight and her pinkie joey was just hanging out of her pouch. This joey is only about 1 week old still attached to her teet. Front and back feet are formed eyes are there. Still moving but just hanging oop. Mom is trying to lick baby and trying to put baby back in pouch but no luck. Any suggestions PLEASE HELP!!!!
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 05:36 AM

Ok so the joey is 1 week IP or 1 week OOP?? Anyway to give us a picture of this joey?? If its old enough it could just be a matter of size and mom not being able to get the joey back in. Does mom seem destresed???

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 05:45 AM

no mom is not destressed she is jumping around eating running in her wheel. Joey is 1 week ip. Like i said the joey is pink not grey, still attached to teet. I have had suggies for about 10 years now and have never had that happen to one of my females.

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 05:46 AM

See the joey should be too small to be hanging out shouldn't it?? Can you get a picture?

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 05:50 AM

yes way to small. No i don't want to stress mom. this is why i'm looking for suggestion on what to do

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 05:53 AM

The only thing I can think is possible is some ky jelly or petrolium jelly and gently moving the pouch back over, but mom could have simply been cleaning and just not put her self back into place properly. I would wait for someone elses input before trying to do something though.

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 05:54 AM

thanks
Posted By: SugarBaby22

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 06:25 AM

I wouldn't put any sort of jelly on the baby or in the pouch.. although I am not completely sure, I believe that it could be a cause for a major infection.. and you don't want that stuff on the joey.. or sitting in mom's pouch.

I would leave mom be.. normally they stuff their own babies back into their pouches.

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 06:45 AM

Yep exactly why I said to wait for someone else!!! They recommend jelly on boy's privates when they are out. Good luck hope mom and baby go back to where they are suppose to be
Posted By: SugarBaby22

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
Yep exactly why I said to wait for someone else!!! They recommend jelly on boy's privates when they are out. Good luck hope mom and baby go back to where they are suppose to be

You're correct on that, but my thinking is that a mothers pouch has hair in it.. it's dark, probably moist.. the perfect growing spot for infection. Not to mention babies attach to the nipples so we wouldn't want them getting petroleum jelly in their mouths.
Posted By: KattyM

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 07:54 AM

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions. I have absolutely no experience in this department at all. hug2 Are you able to hold the mom so when she tries again to lick the joey and get it back in the pouch, you can somehow assist, even by holding her in a comfy position? Is the baby warm enough, hanging on the outside of her pouch?

I see you're registered now. I'm moving this to Breeding & Babies).
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 08:04 AM

I recommend calling SugarGliderSuz. She doesn't mind being disturbed, even at this hour. I'll pm you her number.

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 08:05 AM

Maybe someone can also post her link.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 09:43 AM

I didn't receive a phone call so I hope all is well with your glider & joey by now worried Please post an update for us so we know how things are going...
If the joey is still hanging out of the pouch, about the only thing you can do is to try to gently open the mother's pouch and reinsert the joey manually. This has to be done very carefully or the joey could be dislodged from the teat. The other option is to let the mother take care of it and just let nature take its course frown

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 12:01 PM

Thank you for all your help but sadly nature did take it's course and the little baby joey is gone. Mom is doing ok. it's like nothing happened. What i'm wondering though is, do you think this could happen again, or do you think something was probably wrong with the baby?
Posted By: Ellen

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 02:11 PM

So sorry the joey didn't make it. Like I told you this morning, Mom would take care of the baby however she felt it should be. Talking to you it sounded like something was wrong with the baby. I was really hoping Mom could get it back in the pouch. But when you said he was dry looking that really worried me.

I hope you stay around. You sound like you know alot about gliders.

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL, and again I am sorry about the little one. Glad to here Mom is doing OK.

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 02:18 PM

I'm so sorry... hug2 Glad momma's doing okay. How's daddy doing?

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 03:59 PM

Thanks again Ellen and I'm sorry for waking you. Thank God for people like you who are there to help when you can't find a vet who knows much about these little angels. I plan on staying around. Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions and thoughts. Daddy is a little depressed but his other older joeys are keeping him busy.

Frances

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 04:00 PM

Thanks again Ellen and I'm sorry for waking you. Thank God for people like you who are there to help when you can't find a vet who knows much about these little angels. I plan on staying around. Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions and thoughts. Daddy is a little depressed but his other older joeys are keeping him busy.

Frances
Posted By: Ellen

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 04:37 PM

Frances, don't worry about waking me up. That's what we are here for.

Glad you are planning on staying with us.

Take care of Dad for me.

Looking for to your post's. After having gliders as long as you have and breeding, it will be great for you and our members.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 06:20 PM

Does mom's pouch look ok? I would think it would be possible that there was something wrong with her pouch (some kind of infection or irritation) and the baby might have made mom's pouch uncomfortable? I don't know, but would be worth looking into. dunno

I'm sorry about her joey. hug2

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/26/08 06:38 PM

her pouch looks fine, normal. she is acting like nothing ever happened.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/27/08 12:52 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. hug2

I am going to move this over to Rainbow Memorials now.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/27/08 01:02 AM

I am very sorry for your loss. It does sound like there was something wrong with this little one. As hard as it can be, mother nature does know best. Godspeed little one.
Posted By: Judie

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/27/08 01:43 AM

With the joey hanging onto a teat and out of the pouch... sounds as if someone was trying to pull the wee one out of the pouch.

Babies being pulled out of pouch can be from the mother herself, her mate or another female if being housed with more than one pair of gliders.

I am sorry for the loss of the wee one. Perhaps, next time around you will be blessed with full term babies from this mother.
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: pinkie joey oop - 06/27/08 09:38 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL