GliderCENTRAL

NEED - Home Made Pedialyte

Posted By: Anonymous

NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 03:23 PM

One of my week old twins is dehydrated and I was needing the home made pedialyte formula until I can get to the store later on today... any one have it?
Posted By: USMom

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 03:25 PM

yes, one min
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 03:26 PM

I know there was a discussion a bit ago about homeade pedialyte, but it was decided that it wasn't a good substitute. dunno

Here is what I found online for you though;
http://lilduckduck.com/homemade-pedialyte-recipe/76
http://healthyperspectives.blogspot.com/2007/10/homemade-pedialyte-recipe.html
http://www.mad-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26519

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 03:27 PM

2 quarts water
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon salt
7 Tablespoons sugar
1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid
1/2-teaspoon salt substitute

The salt substitute and Kool-Aid are optional. Store in the refrigerator. Be creative; use your special Kool-Aid to make ice cubes so it will stay cool in their bottle or sippy-cup. Or, insert toothpicks into your ice cubes before freezing and make homemade popsicles.

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 03:31 PM

Thanks for the fast replies... I will have to make do with the recipes here until my husband can take me to the store later on today after he is off work - as I am having car trouble. frown

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 03:55 PM

One more question... how much should the little fellow be drinking of the mix every hour for six hours? - I read Suz website, but it does not state an amount.
(he took .5cc - is that enough)

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 09:22 PM

Sorry no one has answered you. I think as much as you can get into him right now. I don't know, but I would think it would be equal to the amount of food you would give. Is he rejected? Are you hand feeding?
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 10:45 PM

If he's dehydrated, I'd give him 1-2 cc's every 2-3 hours for 24 hours.

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/05/08 10:48 PM

He is up to 1cc every hour and he is doing much better... and while mom has been feeding him I am concerned that we may be at the start of a rejection here as I have not seen mom doing any feeding today and the little fellow was found outside of the sleeping pouch.

I have all the supplies needed IF he is rejected.
Posted By: Teresa

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 12:27 AM

I would consider him a rejected joey if he was found outside the pouch. Watch for any wounds that mom or dad might inflict.
It won't take long for him to take a turn for the worse.
I would call Suz.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 12:52 AM

Between 0.5 and 1.0 cc's every hour is a good amount of Pedialyte for a week oop joey thumb Sounds like you're doing a great job with him already smile I would definitely consider him rejected at this point since you found him cold, alone and dehydrated frown Call me if you have further questions hug2
Posted By: DirtyPaws

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 12:52 AM

How about the other joey? confused

Here is the link for the page on Suz' website you need to be looking at. It's got the chart for amounts p/hour p/age. Her website saved my joey's lives. Mine weren't rejected but I'm supplement feeding due to mom's low milk supply.

Hope the link works. Never done this before. Good luck with your babies! heart
Suz Help For Rejected Page

I was sure to bookmark her website. It's an encyclopedia for sugar gliders!!!!!!! read

Knew she'd be around soon!

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 01:30 AM

As it turned out - it was not one of the twins that was dehydrated, but rather the single joey born to the other sister (i have a breeding trio) - the wf twins are growing big, eating good and have their eyes open.

The single wfb male was dehydrated this morning, but is doing good now.... I have just finished his sixth pedialyte feeding and he past the tent test.... I will treat him as though he has been rejected and begin supplement feeding him with Suz joey formula.

The three adults (dad, mom & aunt) still welcome the joey in the pouch and they are keeping him warm, therefore, I will keep him in the cage with them and continue to do the feeding myself.

Here are a few pics of the little tyke... named: Rocky.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/Rhapsody_1/Sugar%20Gliders/102_4736.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/Rhapsody_1/Sugar%20Gliders/102E4737.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/Rhapsody_1/Sugar%20Gliders/102_4718.jpg

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 11:05 AM

Carolyn, he's SO cute mlove You're doing great with him! Your decision to keep him with the parents is a wise one since they are caring for him in all ways except feedings thumb Keep up the great work hug2

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 06:46 PM

The little fellow named Rocky did not make it... he was doing good and was no longer dehydrated when I last feed him before going to bed my self, but mom & dad must of known some thing I did not as his little body was no where to be found when I got up to check on/feed him... the twins (born to the other female) are doing great.

Nature has its own way of dealing with matters that we as human may not always understand, but must accept. heart

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 07:46 PM

Oh Carolyn, I'm so sorry to hear this. As sad as it is, you are right, sometimes mom & dad know best. Big (((HUGS)))
Posted By: LSardou

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 07:52 PM

hug2 I'm sorry Carolyn to hear about Rocky. You did everything that you could to help him. It's so hard to understand why they are taken away so early.
Many hugs and prayers.
Godspeed Rocky gangel
Posted By: Teresa

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 08:45 PM

you did all you could, I know it was hard for you, I'm glad the twins are doing good.:hug2 gangel

Re: NEED - Home Made Pedialyte - 11/06/08 08:50 PM

I'm so very sorry that little Rocky didn't make it cry You have the right attitude about it though... hug2 hug2 hug2

Moving this over to Rainbow Memorials now frown
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL