GliderCENTRAL

something horrible happened

Posted By: kati

something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:04 PM

I know i haven't posted here in a long time, but i'm hoping telling my story might ease my mind slightly.

Something horrible happened to one of my favorite gliders. Cujo was orphaned when he was young and handraised by Judie (i'm so sorry judie....) not only was he one of my sweetest gliders, he was a beautiful white faced blonde.

What makes it 10X worse is cujo did not die of natural causes, he died a violent horrible death, I just hope his heart stopped beating early on... When i found him something had dragged his body 70% out of the cage. The bars on my cages are about 1/2", and it appeared his body had been dragged between three of them. His ribs were exposed (some on the inside of the cage, some on the outside) and something had eaten his insides. Most of his fur had been ripped out. At first i did not know which of the three gliders in that cage it was, and i honestly hoped it was any one but cujo (i know that is probably wrong, but i couldn't help it) But his beautiful face was still intact, and i could see it was cujo. The worst part was i had to cut his body in half with scissors to get him out.

What could have done something so horrible? I have never lost a glider untill about a month ago, when a petite glider just dissapeared from his cage. I dont know how he got out, because all the doors on his cage were closed and his mate was still inside. I looked for him and left food out for two weeks untill i assumed he had gotten out of my house. The only thing i can think of is he didnt leave my house and was hungry enough to rip cujo from his cage. I don't even know if a glider is strong enough to do something like that. It looked almost supernatural. Whatever it was it had to have been able to reach between the 1/2" bars. I also think if it was something larger it would have eaten all of him, not just his insides. There is a squirrel that lives in my attic but i dont think a squirrel would do that. I don't have any cats and my little maltese has never even wanted to go into my sugar glider room. Two days ago i cleaned out my entire sugar glider room, and saw nothing abnormal. Cujo watched me the whole time i cleaned, and i took him out for a little while but then he peed on me so i put him back :/ i wish i kept him out longer.

I have not been able to think about anything else. I couldn't go to sleep last night even though my body was exhausted my mind was racing. In the fall i had a stroke of pretty bad luck, and lost my pomeranian to paralysis (even though she was only 6), my dama wallaby died of a bacterial infection, and my bennett's wallaby escaped the new fencing i put up and got hit by a car. Since then i've had repetitive dreams of them still being alive. Last night i had a dream i found cujo badly injured but took him to a vet and he lived. It's only the first night i've been without him and i know there will be many more dreams to come. It makes waking up painful. The only downfall to keeping pets is that they are destined to die before you, and it rips out your heart when they do.

Whatever did that to cujo is still out there, and i fear for the lives of my other gliders. Tonight i'm setting out three have a heart traps in three different sizes. I just hope i can catch whatever did this before it claims another life.

Posted By: BeckiT

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:09 PM

Oh no Kati, how horrible!! I am SO sorry!!
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:13 PM

Oh, Kati! I'm so so sorry.

Yes, a squirrel could, and more importantly, would do this sort of thing. They are rodents -- rats with fluffy tails. It is absolutely something a rat would do. (I just had an instance of rat canabalism - 2 adults. I'll spare you the details ...) I also had a pet grey squirrel, so I know for certain, in many ways, their instincts are just like rats.

I can't imagine that a glider petite enough to get thru your cage bars would be strong enough to rip Cujo out like that. But I can't imagine, either, why Cujo would just take it - he must have been curious about what was on the other side, and that was his downfall.

Please set out the traps. I have chills thinking about your other gliders. Oh, poor poor Cujo!

I'm so sorry.
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:14 PM

How terrible, I'm so sorry that happened to your beloved glider, hope that you find the creature that killed your glider...
((hugs))
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:18 PM

I am so sorry that you had to see him like that. I hope you do find out what caused this and are able to protect your other gliders now that you know there is a threat. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be done to prevent something like this happening until she catches the culprit?

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:29 PM

Thank you for the kind words....

and thank you val, for that information on squirrels. I had pretty much ruled them out (i don't know much about squirrels) and i thought i was doing the little squirrel a favor by letting him live in my attic =*( I had heard of a genet doing the same thing to a ferret (they are about the same size, and very similar) so thats why i thought it could be another glider. The next squirrel who wants to come inside my house is going to have to get past me first.

I can not let this happen again. I'm privledged enough to own some very rare gliders and if something got to them after i knew there was a threat i could never forgive myself. I put out an "offering plate" with food on it so if they feel hungry hopefully they wolnt go after my gliders. Tonight i will put out traps in my glider room, and poison in my attic.
Posted By: FURBYnGIZMO

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:34 PM

OMG cry

I hope you find what ever caused such a horrible death to you little Cujo worried

In all this I don't think this was your missing glider hungry enough to cause this and that perhaps what did this to Cujo, your missing baby was prey to it as well...sorry if this is something you did not want to think about but it just seems that would be the case.

I would suggest getting your gliders to a place near where you sleep and move them from harm and the possibility of having this happen again. Cover your cage on all exposed sides with fleece or a blanket that wont be another hazard for the little ones on the inside (tie the ends at the bottom by wrapping a sort of belt to the bottom to keep what ever this is from crawling up the covered sides) and keep what ever this is out and leave on opening near the closest part of the cage closest to you so your little ones know you are near...this has probably affected them to see this as well worried but this would help you to see inside as well.

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:37 PM

squirrels liveing in your attic can and will cause alot of destrution as they chew everything. i am so sorry that your baby was murdered. sending love and hugs your way.

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 03:39 PM

I feel so bad for you! Maybe you can try putting some very small hole wire (very in expensive at Ace Hardward & they sell it in smaller amounts than larger home repair stores), around the cage until the thing is caught. Or allow your maltese to stand guard while you sleep.
My heart goes out to you. But as with our children, we do all we can to protect them, but seems sometimes it just isn't enough. We will all remember you in prayer.

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 04:06 PM

I am so sorry this happened.

My only thought is to wrap the cages in hardware cloth. If it is a rat, window screening will not stop it.

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 05:03 PM

Oh I am just in shock. I cant imagine you having to see him like that. I am so sorry.

I worry about traps and poison in case your other glider is out there and alive... could you do humane traps?

Good luck and I am so so sorry!!!

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 06:05 PM

Thank you for all of your advice. I will be sleeping in my sugar glider room (luckily there is a couch in there) with my maltese untill i'm sure there are no more unwanted visitors. Unfortunatly I think the other sugar glider that got out met the same fate. It seems to have a taste for WFB's =*( I feel so horrible.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 06:16 PM

OMG, how horrible! I do agree, that a the squirrel is most likely the culprit. It would have been attracted to the cage for the food and most like Cujo jumped onto the bars to see what it was. Poor baby. I will light a candle for him. Godspeed angel Cujo and I hope you catch whatever did this soon. And I second putting the wire around their cage.
Posted By: RSXTC

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 06:23 PM

Oh...my...gosh. cry That description is enough to give me nightmares! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted By: momofthree
I worry about traps and poison in case your other glider is out there and alive... could you do humane traps?
She said she was using "have a heart" traps, which I assume are live/humane traps.
Posted By: Cora

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 06:54 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 07:59 PM

Most likely, a rat did this. I was just telling a friend and she had a similar experience and she said it sounds exactly like a rat. Have you noticed any droppings anywhere? They would definitely be attracted by the food, as well. Again, am so sorry. Please keep us posted.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 08:23 PM

I am so very sorry you are having to go through such a tragedy.

I must say though my first thought was not a squirrel but with the cold temps all across the nation, first thing that comes to mind would be street rats.

I have seen some of the damage they can do to other animals especially if they are hungry. Most people see the droppings and assume they have mice in the house, when indeed a lot of times it is also rats that invade.
Not to very long ago there was a huge fight outside, you could definitely tell it was a cat fighting with something, when we went outside there were a couple of rats killing the cat. The neighbor came out with a big ole stick. Point is they are very capable of doing such a thing.

I am so very very sorry this happened. It must be the hardest thing in the world to witness and go through. My prayers are with you.

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 08:32 PM

That is the worst thing ever. Oh I never would have been able to handle that by myself. hug2 that poor sweet baby.

Something you may want to consider, I don't know how many gliders you have, or if they all get along okay, but I keep both of mine in a tent. They were escaping when I first got them, so I put them in there and they pretty much love it. That's how they've been ever since. They just have the cage inside the tent.

I think that maybe if you could keep them inside a tent, you could have alot of advantages:
1. you wouldn't have to sleep on the couch
a. you wouldn't scare away whatever did this by sleeping on the couch, then maybe you could trap it.
2. they would just think it was cool to have more tent time.
3. nothing could get to them if you tie the tent zippers shut.

just a suggestion, but I hope you find the source!

Posted By: Judie

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 09:52 PM

Ohhhhh how sad. cry

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 10:01 PM

A rat could chew through a tent, no problem. I think the suggestion of covering the cage in the wire until this thing is caught is the most foolproof idea, so they will be safe. It is amazing what rats can do when they are hungry.

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 10:31 PM

OMG! I am so sorry to hear this! I really hope you are able to catch whatever did this to poor Cujo. My heart goes out to you!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 10:58 PM

I am so sorry...
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: something horrible happened - 01/31/07 11:57 PM

How horrendous. I feel for you. I would think if you had a squirrel bounding around in the glider room, you would hear him. My mom had a squirrel in the house and oh boy could you hear him. please try the hav-a-heart traps first. Poison is not a good thing to use when you have other animals in the house. Domestic or wild.
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: something horrible happened - 02/01/07 12:18 AM

That is awful! I feel so bad for you!

I have to agree that this sounds like a rat to me. They are incredibly strong and can get into most places. They are also smart enough to entice a glider to the bars. I have had pet rats for years and they are smart, persistant, strong and can get into anything. Covering the cage with wire is probably your best bet - just remember, rats can crawl thru holes the size of a quarter - make sure it is a tight mesh!
Posted By: kristenfl

Re: something horrible happened - 02/01/07 12:25 AM

I think this is the worst thing I have heard... I feel for you and poor Cujo! I truly hope you catch what ever it is that did this. Please keep us updated and let us know how things go. We are all thinking of you and praying for you.
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: something horrible happened - 02/01/07 01:00 AM

i know you may not want this suggestion but, is there any way your other gliders could stay with at a freinds house for a few days? that way you could hope to catch whatever it is that is terrorizing you and your gliders and you wouldn't have to worry abt them being hurt like Cujo was.
:hug: sent your way!!

Re: something horrible happened - 02/01/07 02:34 AM

I couldn't believe what I was reading. You poor thing! hug2 To have to come in and see that...and to have to get him out of the cage that way. That sweet baby... I can't fathom what he must have gone through. cry I hope you find whatever it is that did this. Please keep us updated!
Posted By: KattyM

Re: something horrible happened - 02/01/07 08:51 AM

Oh, Kati! What a horrible tragedy this is! Poor, sweet little Cujo. heart

I am so sorry you had to see him like that, and now have to deal with the mystery of his death. I pray you find resolution and peace in your heart quickly. You've lost more than your share of loved ones. hug2

If there are droppings around the cage or in the house, can you take those somewhere to be analyzed—identified as to what type of animal made them? Are there humane exterminators (is that an oxymoron?) who can help identify possible places dangerous critters like rats could enter your home, and help you seal them?

I am just so, so sorry... frown

Re: something horrible happened - 02/01/07 09:18 AM

I would use 1/2" hardware cloth around the cages. The tricky part is that metal hardware cloth is made of galvanized wire, which is not safe for suggies to come in contact with, so , I would not put it right next to the cage wall, but out a little bit.

And remember to put a top and a bottom on it. They make these little clips and s special tool to clip them with that make the seams really easy to make.

I was hoping to read that you had caught the culprit.

Please keep us posted.
Posted By: Slickable3

Re: something horrible happened - 02/01/07 05:01 PM

I'm so so so sorry....
Any updates on what could have done this?

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 02:01 AM

Oh no, that's horrible! frown I'm so sorry that happened...

However, I SINCERELY doubt that a squirrel was responsible. The only sort of meat squirrels generally eat is baby birds they find in nests-- they do not actively seek meat. Moreover, I doubt that they would attack a glider for no reason as a squirrel's natural instinct is to run from other animals rather than fight. I think it's far more likely that a rat was responsible.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 04:49 AM

Need an update, Kati. I had nightmares last night about this. I'm sure you did, too.

The thought of Cujo has been haunting me.

Please let us know.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 05:54 AM

Yes please, an update.
Posted By: silverwolf

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 06:54 AM

Yes update please. Were you able to catch whatever horrible thing did this to your baby? I sure hope so. Please let us know.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 04:38 PM

We are all on the edge of our seats here. I know myself and everyone else are concerned if you still have to worry for you babies lives...

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 06:12 PM

Rats are predators. Squirrels are not. Plug up the hole in your roof that is letting the squirrels in as they will do major damage to your electrical wiring and home. I don't think a squirrel could enter the house from the attic unless you have an uncovered opening to your attic from that room and, in your climate, I can't believe you would. You can use a humane trap, but if a rat has a choice between a humane trap and your gliders, he/she may not choose the trap.

You can buy rat poison that will not poison other animals that might eat the rat and if you take this route, put it in your attic and inside your walls. Also clean the rim around your rooms very well w/strong soap and water or enzyme cleaner as rats and mice urinate and defecate along the perimeter of the room to mark the path for other rats or mice to follow. The greatest likelihood is that you have many more than 1 rat. Don't rely on your maltese to alert you or protect the gliders. Get rid of the rats. They carry diseases that are dangerous to you, your dog and your other animals.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 08:23 PM

I don't think it was a squirrel either. I was thinking more something a raccoon would do. I hope she updates us - I was thinking about this post all night.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/02/07 11:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it was a squirrel. My mom caught one that broke into our house and was eating our guinea hen food. Correct me if i'm mistaken, but don't rats usually live in towns/citys? I live in the middle of the woods. If it is a rat, i've seen no evidence. I also found cujo's body in near the food dish, it appeared what ever got him was first interested in the fruit and yogurt.
But, if this is something a squirrel would simply not do, please let me know as i don't want the culprit to go uncaught.
I have wrapped the cages in wire and window screen, and set out traps. I will try the rat-only poison, just in case. As for squirrels, i don't think there are any left near my house. Bird feeders make efficient targets.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 01:48 AM

I'd say that it's something a squirrel wouldn't do. And yes, rats do and can live in the woods. It sounds to me like a rat smelled the food in his cage and tried to get at it, only to discover that Cujo was an easier source of food. frown Rats are predators, squirrels are not.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 02:16 AM

Squirrels can be preditory. They are very oportunistic, and much more similar to rats than you think.

I've had pet rats, as well as a pet grey squirrel. There is very little difference.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kati
Correct me if i'm mistaken, but don't rats usually live in towns/citys?

Rats live anywhere and everywhere. I remember going hiking in the woods a couple of years ago and I noticed nearly every cactus patch I passed had something rustling around in it. Finally I saw one and figured out they were rats. There must have been hundreds of them, with little trails from one patch to another. Also, they would be attracted to a human home if they lived in the woods because your garbage is easy pickin's. We have a hunting lease where there are a few travel trailers parked to stay in. You have to drive 25 miles out a dirt road that requires 4WD in wet weather to get there and the nearest town has a population of about 800 and is about 35 miles away. We always have a rat problem there.

But, if this is something a squirrel would simply not do, please let me know as i don't want the culprit to go uncaught.

I really don't think it sounds like a squirrel. I don't think they are carnivorous. A rat is far more likely.

I will try the rat-only poison, just in case.

I don't think there is such a thing as a poison that only kills rats. They have evolved an extremely tough digestive system over the centuries, eating rotten garbage and whatever we throw out, so it takes the strongest poison to kill them. Rat poison is so labeled not because it only kills rats, but probably because it's so strong.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome
Squirrels can be preditory. They are very oportunistic, and much more similar to rats than you think.

I've had pet rats, as well as a pet grey squirrel. There is very little difference.

They will only eat meat if they are starving and there is no other source of food. I used to volunteer at a wildlife rehab center and I've had tame squirrels since I was little-- never once have I heard of a squirrel attacking and killing something the size of a glider to eat. If they're absolutely starving they will eat baby birds and snakes, possibly mice. But a mouse is a lot smaller than a sugar glider.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 12:40 PM

I also don't think it's a squirrel. If you've ever seen the way a squirrel moves(stop, go, stop, jump..etc) you would hear it in your house. However, I am also doubting that a rat could have the strength to put its very short paws into the cage, drag a sqirming, biting glider through bars and eat it UNLESS the glider was already deceased - which is possible. Are you sure the animal in your attic is not a raccoon? It just fits their MO.

Also, poison is poison - there is no such thing as rat only poison. It's a bad idea. I've seen a dog that got into rat poison - please don't use it.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 12:44 PM

My traps have gone untouched for the past couple of days, if it is a rat he does not want to show himself (well, i geuss that is typical). I hate the indecision and not knowing what did this.
Ugh.. if it wasn't a squirrel i'm going to feel pretty bad about the umm lack of squirrels near my house frown

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Gossamer
I also don't think it's a squirrel. If you've ever seen the way a squirrel moves(stop, go, stop, jump..etc) you would hear it in your house.

We have had a squirrel problem for the past couple months, i would hear them running in the walls all the time.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 02:22 PM

Oh, you underestimate rats, they most certainly can and would do something like that! If it had been a raccon, the cage would have been at the very least moved, if not throw to the floor and destroyed. And I would THINK if something that large was in her room she would know it (or the dog would have barked.) Keep the traps up, but again, if it were me, I would cover that cage in very small chicken wire to keep the others safe (just use zip ties).

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 02:58 PM

I wouldn't put it past a squirrel to do something like that. They are very smart and strong animals. I hand raise a pair that had fallen out of a tree after a real bad storm. They were sweet little animal excpt when they were hungry. For the most part I have never seen a squirrel eat meat, but when my little one got hungry they always went over to my parakeet cage until I brought them food. I also saw (many different times) where a squirrel attacked a dog and won. That is chased the dog off. Need less to say that happened to one of my friend's dog and now that dog has a complex. He runs away yelping when he sees a squirrel (even when it is through the window). I don't know maybe we have some ill tempered squirrels here in East Texas. I would eliminate that from the picture. hope you get to the bottom of it soon, and don't loose any more gliders over it either. Good Luck!!!

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 04:02 PM

Most likely the squirrels were interested in the bird seed, not the birds. As far as chasing a dog, yes, they will, as they are VERY TERRITORIAL and will challenge most other animals in those situations. But they do not eat meat. But bottom line is trapping whatever it is and eliminating the danger.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 04:18 PM

With what are you baiting the traps?

Peanut butter or raw bacon work well for rats.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 04:48 PM

To clarify: there isn't a "rat only" poison. The compound I was referring to is primarily corn oil and will not poison your Maltese like regular poison will if he gets a bit of it.

It's called Safe+Kill and is a corn oil/corncob mix that disrupts the digestive mechanism in the rat but contains no poison and isn't an anticoagulant like many other poisons.

If you are keeping feed inside your home, rats, especially in cold weather, will do anything to get into your house to get the feed.

A rat will eat the abdominal contents of another small animal to get the food that the prey has already consumed.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 07:08 PM

I'm so sorry you had to go through this! It sounds just horrific! As much as I love my rats, I know that their wild cousins can and will eat other animals. You can find 1/2" x 1/2" pvc coated mesh at hardware store, which is better than the galvanized.

Originally Posted By: jungleflockmom
They carry diseases that are dangerous to you, your dog and your other animals.

I just wanted to correct you on this. The only thing that wild rats carry are possibly lice or mites. They do not carry the plague, and they do not carry rabies, so this is not so much a concern.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 09:37 PM

true true... rats might have parisites... but carry nothing else. we are adopting children and had to have shot recored of all my animals... and i had to get vet recored stating that rats had no shots they recieve, as well as they are not carriers of disease. - that they would be safe around my children.

i have 3 rats... big ones... 1 blue one, 1 hairless one, and 1 brown one.

they are very strong and when it is time for dinner they will pull their food through the cage to get it if they feel the need. but other than that - they have neve bit me, or anyone, and are really neat animals. very smart.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/03/07 10:26 PM

Speaking of rats, as I wrote earlier in the week, my Ginny passed away. Well, yesterday, Snow White, one of her girls passed, and Pinky, another girl, just passed. They are all over a year and a half now. I now have five boys and five girls left. Yes, they really are great little companions! Godspeed sweet Ginny, Snow White and Pinky........I am glad you are all together. We will miss you.
Posted By: tbull

Re: something horrible happened - 02/04/07 12:41 AM

I know that rats can chew through most things, but I have a plexi-glass screen around my cages to keep the cats from hunting glider tails. I don't think even a rat could get thru it. My cages are against the wall so mine are only 3-sided but you could make it 4-sided easily. I bought 2 pieces for each cage and cut one in half. Used clear duct tape to connect the sides to the front.

Here is a picture to help explain.

Again, very sorry for your loss and I hope you find the monster that is after your suggies very soon. hug2

Attached picture 5877-plexiscreen.jpg

Re: something horrible happened - 02/04/07 01:41 AM

I too would have to say that it's not a squirrel. I am a wildlife rehaber and have raised several squirrels and they would not eat another animal. They typically eat seeds, nuts, fruits.
You did not say if your glider was attacked during the day or after dark but I would assume at night if you glider was running around the cage. Squirrels always sleep at night. They never roam at night no matter what. It is an instict that mother nature gave them.
I have had pet rats off and on for years, they make great pets, and if they can get there nose and eyes through a hole they will get there body through the hole. Another thing, is the room the gliders are in is it close to a bathroom? I know of a couple cases where rats have come up throught a toilet. Very hard to believe but it can happen.
We also had the same situation but it was with a Pigeon that was pulled through the cage in pieces. It took us 3 weeks to catch the rat and when we did lets just say it suffered for what it did. My father loved the bird and he made that rat pay.

I am sorry for your lose and hope you catch what did it. My heart goes out to you.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/04/07 04:08 AM

I would hire an exterminator. If u got that bad of a rat problem then it could easily get into your food.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/04/07 10:39 PM

We have had a squirrel problem for the past couple months, i would hear them running in the walls all the time.

How do you know it's not rats running in the walls?

I agree that you should have a professional exterminator come to your house and look around. I hope you find the culprit soon.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/10/07 05:46 AM

Is there any update? Did you find out what did this horrible thing to your babies? I hope so, so no more will be injured, I'll keep you and them in my thoughts!

Re: something horrible happened - 02/10/07 06:39 AM

ok so i just talked to my dad and he is a certified pest and rodent management specialist. he has been doing this for 17 yrs and he does not believe that either a squirrel nor a rat did this. he say's that wild rats DO carry disease and pass it through their feaces. if you do have your house baited then the exterminator will most likely use a rodentacide which will kill whatever eats it and whatever eats it feels no pain and will not stink up your house, plus the poison is not transferable through another animal digesting whatever was killed. i won't say to rule out rats, but squirrel deffinately. please feel free to ask any questions you can think of about pest and rodent control and i will ask my dad. he takes yearly refresher courses, and is very knowledgeable. and traps are only 40% accurate if that. also an experienced exterminator will be able to place the bait were your animals will not find it or be able to get to it.

Re: something horrible happened - 02/10/07 07:40 AM

Hoping for an update????
Posted By: Compton384

Re: something horrible happened - 02/11/07 03:46 AM

Yes, an update would be nice if you have one...

I can't imagine walking in to find that. I volunteer at a wildlife rescue and once went to feed a squirrel we had in a cage outside only to find just his head in the cage but nothing else. That was horrible enough and he wasn't even my pet. The fact that it is in your house makes it even more unsettling. I hope you catch the culprit
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL