GliderCENTRAL

Heartbroken *Updated*

Posted By: Countryncrafty

Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 02:18 AM

My glider Cab came from a mill breeder-I didn't know this when I bought him. Said mill breeder also told me to buy only 1-even though I wanted 2. Anyway I met the man before looked at the websites he gave me, then bought Cab a few months later. Needless to say the info was wrong. A nice local breeder (Cora) became my mentor & even said I could have a rehome trio of girls. I didn't want joeys so I said I'd neuter him. Also per her advise I took Cab to the vet...turns out he had/has tri-trech. It's been a few weeks but we decided it's in the best interest of the bonded trio for them not to come home with me. I'm so heartbroken & now not only do the girls not get to come home with me, but also Cab doesn't get a cage mate to bond with :*(
Posted By: Cora

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 02:39 AM

upset
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 02:44 AM

I'm sorry to hear you won't be able to bring others into your home now. But all is not lost - this is just a minor setback - Cab will have friends before you know it. Have faith. smile
Posted By: kitsune

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 02:47 AM

I'm so sorry, how frustrating. Do you know how long it will be before the tri is gone? Maybe the girls will still be available once the treatment has gotten rid of it?

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 02:48 AM

How can Cab have friends if he will always have tri trichs????? Please tell me cause these girls would love for nothing more than to be able to go home with the smell of Danielle they have been smelling for like 3 weeks so someone please tell me how will he ever have friends?????? This is a serious situation brewing I hope folks will start taking this much more seriously so we can stop it.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 02:53 AM

I mean I know I am crying so I cannot imagine how Danielle feels.
Posted By: Chattenoire

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:07 AM

I googled tri trech. but all that came up was software stuff.

What is tri trech, I'm assuming it cannot be cured? Is it life threatening?
Posted By: Lisha

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:11 AM

Yeah,.what she said....what is it???
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Cora
How can Cab have friends if he will always have tri trichs?????

Are you saying that there is no way to get rid of tri trichs or cure the glider of them??
Posted By: kjgoulet

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
Originally Posted By: Cora
How can Cab have friends if he will always have tri trichs?????

Are you saying that there is no way to get rid of tri trichs or cure the glider of them??

That's the same question going through my head.. I don't really even truly know what it is.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:30 AM

I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about tri-trich. I do know that cats that have it, live their lives with other cats and while they will be carriers, with medication they can keep the disease at bay.

I find it hard to believe that this glider needs to be alone his entire life. dunno

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:31 AM

from what Im seeing Tri Trichs is called TF for short. It can be cured by "waiting it out" for 1-2 years to resolve itself, or by using a dangerous medication.

Is this correct?

http://www.ragdollcatguide.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6520
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:32 AM

it is tritrichomonas. there are different strains of it.

tritec. has been going around our glider community, there is
alot of info on lgg abt. this.

tritec. does respond to the correct meds. once the glider
is cleared of the tritec. there is no reason it can not have a buddy or 2. some breeders are breeding gliders that
had this.

those of you that are on lgg, i suggest you read abt. this for more info.

regards,
nancy in detroit

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:34 AM

which mill breeder did you get it from?
You may need to contact them to let them know, if one has it, most of them probably have it.
Posted By: rach

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:34 AM

In all my readings I have never heard of this. I am still new Less than a year in but I have read alot. I hope someone can figure this out that has been in gliders alot longer and let us know what it is, if its curable, etc. I am very curious about this problem. And I do want this little guy to be ok and get to have friends one day. Its terrible that mill breeders don't care about their gliders.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: hwh4ev

regards,
nancy in detroit

For the benefit of GliderCENTRAL members, I'd like the details to be discussed here as well. Not everyone is a member of LGG.

I just started another post: Tritrichomonas/Tri Trichs

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:38 AM

is cleared of the tritec. there is no reason it can not have a buddy or 2. some breeders are breeding gliders that
had this.

regards,
nancy in detroit

This is my understanding of it up to this point but thought maybe I'd missed something.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:40 AM

"Tri-trech" isnt the full name I just can't spell it lol. From what I understand its a protazoa parasite that "flares" around 4/5weeks making the glider lose their fur but the fur grows back by 8weeks ish. It lays dormant but comes back during times of stress (then with medicine) can/will go dormant again. it can't be passed to humans but yes to pets through feces. Vet said if a reptile has it its not a big deal but she's never seem it in gliders. :*((((((

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:44 AM

Yet it HAS been seen in gliders (or symptoms anyway) several times in fact, over the past few months. While I do believe it's important to know what you're dealing with and of course, being cautious, I do not believe for a second that your little guy can't have a buddy in his life.
Posted By: xoerikae

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 04:01 AM

Actually... I don't think anyone has OFFICIALLY been DIAGNOSED with tritrich in the glider community. It has been suspected, but anyone that has sent off for the DNA test for it has come back negative, as far as I've heard, and I've tried to keep up with this.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 04:04 AM

I thought Nadine had a positive test for it? Idk I'm so turned around with all the "ick" babies between who had what.. Other than Sherri, I have her on FB lol! So I know what hers is.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 04:06 AM

As far as I have heard, Nadine had a tech say that they saw one swimmer, possibly/probably a trichamonas [not necessarily tritrich]. Never an official diagnosis, from what I heard. If I'm wrong, hopefully Nadine will come let us know smile
The only one that I know of with a true diagnosis - and recovery! - was Sherri, who's joeys had yeast infections.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 04:08 AM

Gotcha, after losing my laptop to the big plug in in the sky I got so backed up it will be a miracle if I can even catch up and know what's going on lol! I know Sherri, yeast infections and little Abigail. Rooting for that baby smile

Tianna had staph I believe, I even lost track of her progress but know Mystery came out alive and well..

Other than that, it's jumbled dunno

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 04:17 AM

yes, there have been and there is right now a glider being treated for tritec. it is in the glider community.

cats carry it and it can be transferred to gliders.

regards,
nancy in detroit
p.s. i am not saying cats were at fault in these cases as
i dont know how the gliders got it.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 04:36 AM

Nancy, would you mind linking to that please?
Posted By: tjlong

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 04:39 AM

had this.

regards,
nancy in detroit

Nancy, this is t necessarily completely true. frown Unfortunately, there is no guarantee tric is curable. There hasn't been enough of it in gliders to know if it is just lowered in numbers or completely 'cured'. Many gliders that have giardia are treated and show negative for giardia in one test. Are they cured? Some yes, some a very resounding No! Many people believe you can only know definitely it is cured if an antigen test shows it's clear.

With tric we can barely find them much less k ow for sure they are gone for good. I do know probiotics help change the gut flora so that they don't grab hold, so to speak, and multiply.

We are trying to get a research facility interested so that we can get more info on how it affects gliders, what strain it is, DNA that strain and then get a test put together to identify it. This isn't going to happen overnight.

We definitely need to keep it in check and try not to spread it farther if/when it is diagnosed. What type test was used to diagnose in OP's case here?

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 05:17 AM

Originally my vet didnt know what it was. She did a fecal smear/float. Said it looked kinda like giardia, but didnt move like giardia &the float didnt have any eggs. I talked to Cora who contacted Chris who then called me, recieved the vets number & called her. After discussion decided it was tri-trech. I have also talked to Ms. Sardou about this but havent had the chance to update her if anyone is wondering wink
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 05:30 AM

Nadine's joeys did NOT have tri-trich. Her ill joeys all recovered except one that died NOT from the illness but from being tube fed and aspirating the formula.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Nadine's joeys did NOT have tri-trich.

Not completely accurate. Idexx found swimmers that were, originally stated by Nadine as a form of trich. Possibly Pentatrich, possibly tritrich. Nothing definitive in any direction. The Colorado lab a separate sample was sent to at a later date stated they saw tritrich but could not identify the strain. I believe it was also stated it had traits that resembled the muris strain.

Here again, we do not know what strain of trich may be infecting our gliders at this point and we do not know if it is curable, or exactly what it will do in our gliders. Different strains cause different things to happen in many animals.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 06:32 AM

Nadine's info page about the illnesses she recently had to deal with mentions that her gliders tested positive for tri trich, but it was benign and not the reason they were so sick, and it says that her vet has determined that the tri trich is no longer present.

Quote:
This took us longer to diagnose than it normally would because we discovered a single tritrichomonad in a fecal test. Subsequent testing revealed that it was NOT of a harmful variety and nothing to worry about, however, it took the focus away from the fur when we were worried that it may have been a parasite. We did PCR (DNA) testing on the fecal material to determine that the trichomonad was not of a harmful variety.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 06:39 AM

I'm sorry, I simplified it to much. The ill gliders Nadine had was caused by "a bacteria called morganelle morganii" whis is NOT tri-trich.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 06:46 AM

I'm sorry, I simplified it to much. The ill gliders Nadine had was caused by "a bacteria called morganelle morganii" whis is NOT tri-trich.

Yes, this is what it sounds like on her page--does this mean that the tri trich isn't something to worry about? Or is it just that one particular type? If we did DNA testing could we determine if the tri found between one place and the next is of the same benign variety?

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: kitsune

Yes, this is what it sounds like on her page--does this mean that the tri trich isn't something to worry about? Or is it just that one particular type? If we did DNA testing could we determine if the tri found between one place and the next is of the same benign variety?

We don't know. We have to get someone to figure out which strain it is. So far, no one has. Therefore, no one can say it is or is not benign except for attending vets. As we all are very aware, not all vets are created equal. They are people making educated guesses in many cases. We have a lot to learn still.

It seems there is some focus on Nadine's gliders. She was just one case. In her case trich may have been found, but as Dancing stated, there were other issues that were going on too.
Posted By: Chris_R

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 01:24 PM

The PCR's that were done on all the gliders were for ONLY the T.Foetus strain of tritrichamonas. ALL of the samples sent in from everyone came back negative (including Nadines). This is NOT T.Foetus so the PCR testing would have given FALSE negatives. Different labs AND vets have seen this tritrich on a wet mount from animals in different states and it HAS been diagnosed as tritrichamonas. The two labs for Nadine (Idexx and Colorado lab), 2 vets in Washington and now the one in Tx (whom has now looked at more than one sample during treatment and although the numbers are decreasing, treatment is still needed)..

A zoologist is helping and expects this to be the T.Muirs strain, IF that is the case, then there is no cure in the other species it effects and is commonly the known cause of "wet tail" syndrome. Flair ups can be treated but it cant ever be cured. The only known way to "break the cycle" is to perform a C-sect so the offspring is not passing through the birth canal where it gets infected. That mother is then culled from the breeding program as is the male that bred her, unfortunately this is not an option in our sugar gliders...

Tritrich is a single celled organism that reproduces by binary fusion (divides itself down the middle). That "offspring" has the exact same DNA AND Drug resistances that its "parent" had. 1% of tritrichs will normally survive treatment, so as soon as 2nd generation you now have tritrichs that have resistance to the initial treatment drug<s>.

Unfortunately, until we know what the EXACT strain is, get a PCR for it and gather more information from these gliders that are undergoing treatment for an extended amount of time. NO ONE can say that their gliders are cured as with Giardia the numbers can be kept low enough for a wet mount not to show those "swimmers"

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/09/12 03:14 PM

Thank you ChrisR for explaining further smile I am going to PM you I have a,question.
Posted By: GlidersNW

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/11/12 08:00 PM

I think it also needs to be stated here that one clear test for tri trich does NOT clear one of having it. It's something like a 1 in 8 chance of finding it through a fecal smear. So to be safe one must test MANY times. Testing 8 times does not ensure you find it if it is present as you have a 1 in 8 chance each time you run the test. It is extremely hard to catch on a slide as it moves very quickly.

I'm still curious what mill breeder the strain came from. I don't want joeys going to a home that adopted from that breeder till the tri trich thing is concluded. I'm super paranoid about bugs in my gliders.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/11/12 08:11 PM

I'm sorry as I am working will the mill breeder project to get the mill breeder closed down I can't give a name.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/11/12 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: GlidersNW
I think it also needs to be stated here that one clear test for tri trich does NOT clear one of having it. It's something like a 1 in 8 chance of finding it through a fecal smear. So to be safe one must test MANY times. Testing 8 times does not ensure you find it if it is present as you have a 1 in 8 chance each time you run the test. It is extremely hard to catch on a slide as it moves very quickly.

I'm still curious what mill breeder the strain came from. I don't want joeys going to a home that adopted from that breeder till the tri trich thing is concluded. I'm super paranoid about bugs in my gliders.

It's highly unlikely that it is just a mill breeder who has tric joeys. It is more likely that many gliders may harbor it but it doesn't always bloom. As you, yourself stated, it is extremely hard to see in a scope. Since there isn't a PCR test to find it that we have found yet this could be an ongoing quest for a very long time.

Many people feel giardia is gone after one or two negative fecal results after treating. Others feel it is still in the animal and may never be "cured". Trich could very well be a similar protozoa. We just don't have conclusive evidence in any direction.

If you don't want to adopt out to anyone who may have trich in their home, you may consider adopting to only newbies who have no gliders. That is the only way to be certain at this point.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/13/12 06:32 AM

Hi everyone I wanted to give some more/updated info on Cab. He went to the dr the 8-as stated in my other topic I was heartbroken that he still has tritrich. I talked to my vet, Cora, and Chris R today to get some more information. In the morning I am going to get him some Benebac antibiotics to help fight the toxicity of Metronidazole & help with the PH balance. We are also going to get a tritrech PCR done ASAP to see if the tritrich can be identified-those results will come back in a few days once it's recieved. If by the 22 (unless identifying the tritrich changes something) he is not better, he will probably be switched to Ronidizol. This hasn't been tried in gliders before, but it worked in other animals, so my vet (and other vets she's confered with) think it's worth the shot.

He is eating/playing/and as active as ever-tonight he has his first barrel of monkeys (my kiddos never play with them rofl wink ) and is having a BLAST! In the last 2 weeks-from the first vet visit to the second-he gained 13g (from 56g to 69g)!
Posted By: Kryssidog

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/13/12 06:47 AM

Good luck with change in meds. Keep up the good work Cab! We're rooting for you!!
Posted By: Annie

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/13/12 07:07 AM

Go Cab! :D It's great to know that he's a happy little guy! I'll be keeping him in my thoughts for the best! Hopefully the change in meds will prove to be a breakthrough! *hugs*

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/13/12 05:07 PM

glad to hear cab is doing ok.

hope you keep us posted and good luck to you and your
little cab.

take care,
nancy in detroit

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/14/12 02:54 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed we get to the bottom of Cabs issue. Lets pray the lab is able to locate whats going on! Glad I could hug your neck today Danielle. You are a strong woman!

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/14/12 01:03 PM

That poo should be in route to lab shortly. Then a two day wait after the sample gets there for testing.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/15/12 12:01 AM

Thanks Cora & everyone for the support!
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/16/12 03:48 PM

Any updates? Thinking about this little one!!

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/16/12 05:48 PM

Cab is doing great, I gave him a ball last nighy that makes noise & after doing the "sniff & jump back" dance he attacked it & was rolling it all over making noises & such lol. One timr he got it stuck, I reached in to help & he made his unhappy noise lol; after about 2/3 min he figured it out smile As for the lab results I still haven't heard so im hoping sat or mon. Sample didnt get there until Th though (i got it Wed).
Posted By: GlidersNW

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/16/12 11:42 PM

I never said it was only a mill breeder that had it Tracy. Stop putting words in my mouth. This isn't LGG. I wasn't inferring anything. I'm paranoid about bugs in my gliders...plain and simple.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/17/12 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: GlidersNW
I never said it was only a mill breeder that had it Tracy. Stop putting words in my mouth. This isn't LGG. I wasn't inferring anything. I'm paranoid about bugs in my gliders...plain and simple.

This is about Cab and tri trich I dont want it to get locked.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/17/12 12:51 AM

Just a friendly reminder of Rule #4 ~
Quote:
GliderCENTRAL is a family oriented board moving towards a "PG" rather than a "G" rating. Be polite, courteous and respectful to other board members at all times. This means illegal substances, illegal activities, flaming, sexually explicit subjects, spamming, harassing, policing, diet bashing, and abusive or negative personal posts are not allowed. Posts and sometimes entire topics that contain such content will be removed, and the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Abuse, flaming or inappropriate comments directed toward GliderCENTRAL, its Moderators and Administrators, or failure to comply with the direction of a Moderator or Administrator, the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Please keep any personal matters off the board. Take it to email or PM. Please keep in mind that board rules do apply when using the PM feature.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 09:39 PM

Cab's PCR results came back, he tested positive for Tritrichonomas (PCR test). However, they can't tell me which strain it is; Knowing for sure though is a start. Now I am looking for a lab that can tell me WHICH strain and not having much luck. If anyone knows such a place please let me know.

Cab is acting and eating normally, I just want to get this cleared up -or find out if it can't be-so that I can get him a friend and know wheteher I can get Chardonnay, Sangira, and Brandy or frown go to the mill breeder that I got Cab from.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 09:41 PM

I'm still really confused as to why this is being lumped with the glider ick joeys. What symptoms make it seem like it's the same thing?
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Countryncrafty
"Tri-trech" isnt the full name I just can't spell it lol. From what I understand its a protazoa parasite that "flares" around 4/5weeks making the glider lose their fur but the fur grows back by 8weeks ish. It lays dormant but comes back during times of stress (then with medicine) can/will go dormant again. it can't be passed to humans but yes to pets through feces. Vet said if a reptile has it its not a big deal but she's never seem it in gliders. :*((((((

Sorry, but this is untrue. What you are explaining is not symptoms of tri-trich, it is symptoms of "ick" which is totally unrelated.

I would really hate for people to get the wrong idea that tri-trich causes the "ick" joey's which we know is not accurate.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 10:26 PM

Erika, he was passed the age of displaying the ICK symtoms when Danielle got him, although what "clued" towards it was the smallness at 10 weeks old (38 grams) and a shorter than normal coat, as if it had possibly grown back in, also very soft stools (though not diahrrea) more like if you dropped from height onto hard floor it would "cow patty". Then the "unknown parasite" that her vets first reaction was tritrich but when she looked up tritrich in sugar gliders she was unable to find a reference to.
Cab had later fecals done in which his vet felt certain that it was tritrich, and now the quantitive PCR test has come back positive.....

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sherri

Sorry, but this is untrue. What you are explaining is not symptoms of tri-trich, it is symptoms of "ick" which is totally unrelated.

I would really hate for people to get the wrong idea that tri-trich causes the "ick" joey's which we know is not accurate.

We dont KNOW that its totally unrelated, not until the owners of these ICK joeys send their own samples into Zoologix to be tested on the multi-strain PCR. The PCR that was done prior on ICK joeys was ONLY for T.Foetus, which this strain is believed not to be...

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 11:02 PM

I'm not sure why it was "lumped with ick joeys"(& I'm not trying to give anyone the wrong info) except by what Chris said that we don't know & my vet said that what I described (loss of fur etc) happens with tri-trich-which I KNOW he has because of the PCR results. I can & will paste the positive results here (Chris posted it on LGG too for me).
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 11:12 PM

Chris, Sherri has had ALL tests done, her tests for ANY KIND of parasite was negative.

Loss of hair is NOT a symptom of Tri-trich.

Tri-trich is a parasite, the Ick babies had bacterial issues. Lord knows Sherri spent TONS of money and her Vet consulted with several different Vets to make sure all the tests that could be done were done.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 11:15 PM

Its very possible that they could have *both* issues... however, I dont think the ICK is caused from tri-trich.

Danielle, do you have pictures of your glider when it was going through the hair loss phase??

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/19/12 11:23 PM

Question: Do we know if gliders normally carry tri-trich? And we are just now finding out about it due to all of this??

Also, I wanted to clarify what I meant by it is not a symptom by hair loss....the kind that Sherri went through was clumping hair loss, not thinning and just disappearing.

Also, can you please post a direct link to the symptoms of tri-trich please so we can all look at it. Im sure you have done it before, but with all this going on, I sure cant remember. (Thanks)

ETA: Here is a page I pulled up looking for symptoms:
This says coarse hair, but not loss...anyway, very interesting read.
http://www.criver.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/rm_ld_r_Intestinal_Protozoa_Rodents.pdf

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 12:08 AM

Chris I just went back to check to see where I sent off for the fecals and it was in fact Idexx and not Zoologix. Esme's necropsy was sent off too Zoo/Exotic Pathology Service (also in CA) and Adara's pouch culture was sent off last Monday to Idexx.

I have printed off the info for Zoologix and will send off a sample to them in the morning.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 01:16 AM

My vet could be mistaken, she has not seen many gliders. No I can't show pictures of hair loss because I didn't have him at that age. I bought him somewhere between 6-12 weeks oop. The mill breeder I bought him from claimed 12 weeks but when I took him to the vet about 2 weeks after she said 8-10 weeks at that time.The only thing I can say for certain is the my glider has tritrichonomas, what he is getting treated with, & what we are considering changing it to. I'm telling ya'll so that ya'll know its out there, give advice, & support. I don't want to cause drama-I HATE drama. I'm not playing the blame game, & I'm not taking sides. I' passing along what I have been told by lab techs (PCR results) & vets. If someone disagrees, ok but don't shoot the messenger.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 02:17 AM

I saw cab before he was diagnosed with tritrich. He is a cute lil black beauty. I trimmed his nails. He appeared small but not ill, I sanitized anyway, I always do. His fur was a little dull but not alarming, ya know?

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 02:19 AM

so he went in for a routine fecal what 3 weeks or so ago that changed everything for the poor guy, weeks of meds, no girls, and a stressed momma

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 04:33 AM

I really am sorry for you and Cab and that you 2 have to go throught this. I hope that you can get some answers and that Cab will be able to have some new friends to play with.

What were his symptoms that first alarmed you that he was sick?

I too am just trying to get a grasp on this whole tritrich info. And it is really hard to understand the symptoms of it. Some articles say that there may not be any outward showing signs and then some say that there is major diarreah. I was just wondering what the symptoms were with Cab, so others may know what to look for.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 05:27 AM

read my post Sherri, he went in for a routine fecal, well visit cause I asked her to do that before I sent the girls there since I knew where cab came from.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 05:50 AM

So there were no symptoms then? I read where some strains don't have any outward appearance of symptoms. Thats why I was asking. Sorry if I seem to be backsliding to the beginning, but there are so many strains of tritrich and so much info being given that its hard to keep it all straight. smile

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 01:08 PM

Chris I just went back to check to see where I sent off for the fecals and it was in fact Idexx and not Zoologix. Esme's necropsy was sent off too Zoo/Exotic Pathology Service (also in CA) and Adara's pouch culture was sent off last Monday to Idexx.

I have printed off the info for Zoologix and will send off a sample to them in the morning.

Awesome smile.. Make sure to do the multi-strain PCR... Im sending off next week when we get paid for the job we are on currently, I am doing my 3 breeding cages in a combined and then I am also doing the new girls Marilyn Monroe and Jackie O. More for piece of mind and a "base" reading from someone that has show no signs of illness. I know Tracy is testing her whole room at GREAT expense but at least then she will have a "starting point". Nadine has stated to me that she will get samples off next week also when things calm down at her place....

Peggy, I dont have any good internet links. All info either I learned at University myself or in the field, have gone back over my textbooks, have devoured my daughters textbooks (at University majoring in Marine Mammal Biology for a Ph.D with double minors in business management and education) she literally just went through this portion of her education... Picking her brains, her professors brains, going to the Universities library AND talking with my various contacts that are either Ph.d's/researching/teaching vets, zoologists, microbiologists and working vets AND what others working behind the scenes have come up with when talking/writing to their own contacts....... and to answer your other questions, its to early to tell or to come to any real conclusions just based off of 2 positives, we will find out more as we go along and more testing is done...

Also, this has been said somewhere before, but a negative wet mount is NOT definative as you can have 100 KNOWN positive slides but you would ONLY see the trich swimmers in 15 of those, not very good odds at all IMHO, esp if one of those opportunistic secondaries come in and "battles down" the tritrichs numbers. In fact, I believe out of like 6 or more wet mounts done on Grace the tritrich was ONLY seen twice

Now Im off to bed again, fighting a head cold (with headache that makes it hurt to think)

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 01:58 PM

Chris here is a link I posted on LGG. I know our gliders are not rodents, but it seems the tritrichomonas Muris is commonly found in them and is natural. That is what made me think maybe all gliders have it to some extent.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CaHuLkp...ris&f=false

Here is another one I found. If you look it states that it is found throughout the fecal mass in the cecum and colon and also not known to cause clinical signs.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1429&page=162

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 03:10 PM

My samples are being sent off this afternoon. We don't know what strain the gliders have. The muris strain was a guess. So far, no one has found anywhere that can determine the strain for us. If it's something native to the glider's gut I would expect more people to see it. Grace didn't have any symptoms. She did, however get diagnosed with strep and because of the diagnosis, I requested a fecal to see if there was anything else going on with her. It seems that there may not always be major symptoms when trich is found in gliders. I do know vets do want to treat it so they are assuming it is pathogenic at this point.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 03:24 PM

yes its commonly found in rodents, but, there are also many researchers that believe that is also sets up the other "naturally occuring" Lawsonia intracellularis which causes the wet tail symtoms in rodents (young hamsters show the highest morbidity)....

I dont think anyone has concluded that this is in fact muris strain, we were only advised to go that direction first since the T.Foetus PCR's all came back negative.. also the fact that this WILL NOT grow in the TF bags (Nadines nor the 2 that were loaded with it in my area and if I remember correctly Tracys vet tried to "stabalize" a sample sent to lab in a TF, which again was negative although the sample sent was positive on wet mount and now the PCR)

Heres a good link showing some of the common causes of Proliferative Enteritis (Proliferative Ileitis, Wet Tail)
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171530.htm

There is also no links that I can find of the newly discovered pathogenic trichamonas found in prairie dogs but I have now heard about it from 3 different contacts of mine, which have access to research documents that none of us have access to

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: tjlong
My samples are being sent off this afternoon. We don't know what strain the gliders have. The muris strain was a guess. So far, no one has found anywhere that can determine the strain for us. If it's something native to the glider's gut I would expect more people to see it. Grace didn't have any symptoms. She did, however get diagnosed with strep and because of the diagnosis, I requested a fecal to see if there was anything else going on with her. It seems that there may not always be major symptoms when trich is found in gliders. I do know vets do want to treat it so they are assuming it is pathogenic at this point.

I also think if it was "naturally occuring" at some points we would have seen it before this on routine fecals.. There have also been NO cysts/pseudocyts seen with floatation and T.Muirs is the only trich I know that produces these, unless of course the "yeast" seen on Tracys exams is actually a T.Muirs pseudocyst (daughter MADE me add this as a possible option for that uncommon cell walled yeast LOL)... Its just to darn early to tell!!!!

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 04:11 PM

I took him to the vet because Cora requested & told me that getting from the mill it needed to be done. BUT I also took him in on her "emergency only" day because he didn't eat well 2 nights in a row (he did eat but not very much), because he had some semi-loose stool, & because he didn't weigh as much as I understood he should have weighed.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 04:35 PM

I took him to the vet because Cora requested & told me that getting from the mill it needed to be done. BUT I also took him in on her "emergency only" day because he didn't eat well 2 nights in a row (he did eat but not very much), because he had some semi-loose stool, & because he didn't weigh as much as I understood he should have weighed.

My Grace has alwa been very small. She is over a year old and is still only 65g. She seems to have the ki d of frame that would support a heavier gliders. frown I am hoping after treatment, if we can get rid of this stuff, she will gain some weigh!

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 06:01 PM

I had my vet send off 2 samples today. One sample is Adara ( the mother of my ick joeys) and one sample from Bits (Adara's first ick joey). We did talk about medications for this and she had informed me that Ronidizol used in cats and dogs for tritrich can cause neurological side effects. Although she did say that most of the time that 90-95% of the time the neurological issues clear up within 1-3 months of stopping treatment. Doesn't sound like an option of medication that I would want to try with my gliders.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 06:24 PM

Yes that's what my vet suggested next, but she informed me he would be a guinea pig because as far as she knows it hasnt been tried on gliders. She was suggested this from another vet-not delany btw.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 06:27 PM

And just to let everyone know, that this PCR being sent of too the Zoologix is ALOT more than what has been quoted. $230 for 2 samples and that does NOT include shipping.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 07:10 PM

And just to let everyone know, that this PCR being sent of too the Zoologix is ALOT more than what has been quoted. $230 for 2 samples and that does NOT include shipping.

Sounds like your vet charged you a "handling fee". If you send the samples yourself in a ziplock baggie then Zoologix does only charge 85 per I believe it was (plus shipping)

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_R

Sounds like your vet charged you a "handling fee". If you send the samples yourself in a ziplock baggie then Zoologix does only charge 85 per I believe it was (plus shipping)

Chris, that's correct. Per the people AT Zoologix the following prices are correct for the test for trichomonas/tritrichomonas test code: X0013
1-4 samples $85 each
5-16 samples $75 each
17-39 samples $65 each
40+ samples $60 each
The samples must be sent together to get discounted pricing. IF your vet or anyone else sends the samples, you can expect a fee added on for their services. However, Zoologix will do tests for vets, or just ordinary people like us for the same price.

To send a sample you need to put the fresh fecal sample in a ziplock marked with the name you want them to use. You need to put that ziplock in a heavy duty ziplock. Try to get all the air out of the bags so that they won't pop open with pressure. You fill out their submission form and include it with your sample and send it overnight to their facility in CA. Fed Ex is best and don't pay for early morning shipping because they have a deal worked out with Fed Ex so that they get all their samples that are coming to them each day at the same time. Mine actually was delivered at 8:45 that morning after I shipped. They will usually get their results to you in 2-3 days.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 07:39 PM

Danielle, I remembered the name of one of the other possible treatments drugs....tinidizole <sp?>, mention it to your vet and see what she thinks

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 08:24 PM

To send to Zoologix we payed $85 (1 sample) and $18.95 express/overnight shipping at the local USPS office. We used the USPS envelope; in the envelope we put the sample in a ziplock bag getting out as much air as possible-Bag was labeled "Cab-Sugar Glider"- and the subscription form.
I have the recipets to prove it. I'm sorry your vet charged you a "handling fee".

Maybe my feelings are on my sleeve but I keep feeling that I'm getting called a liar. I already said I'm giving info -what I have been told- & hoping to get support/advice. If I continue to feel like I'm getting attacked I will stop posting about it.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 08:25 PM

Thanks Chris-I pmd you smile

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/20/12 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_R

I may have worded it wrong in my post and for that I am sorry if people got the wrong idea that all tests were going to cost so much.

Personally "if" my vet charged a handling fee I don't mind. I am one of those people that would rather have my vet take care of sending it in because I just know that "I" could mess up the sample if I tried to do it myself. Then I might have a contaminated sample and that wouldn't do me any good.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/23/12 12:30 AM

Took Cab back to the vet today. He weighed 75g! We decided to put him on liquid ronidazole for 10 days. If its cleared up on vets float/smear will do another PCR. If its not clear (either vet or PCR) he gets it for another 10 days. If its still not clear at that point idk. Praying the first 10 days clears it up!

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 03:53 AM

how is cab doing? hope these meds do the trick.

take care,
nancy in detroit

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 04:56 AM

He is doing good thanks for asking! So far I haven't noticed any side effects except maybe loss of diet-but that could also be my husband's fault lol. He decided to hide a LOT of dried fruit in his basket & other toys so out of 2tbs & 1tsp he gets every night fri he ate 1tsp & sat he ate 1tbs&the tsp.I didnt know till he told me...I think I found the rest tounge.
He's on day 4 of his meds out of 10 days (he ate fine thur night).
Posted By: rach

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 05:16 AM

Thank you o much for sharing all this information. I have been following this post and hope to find out more about this. I hope he keeps doing good and thank you for sharing all the information to us.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 05:19 AM

It's not a problem smile

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 11:33 AM

glad to hear he is tolerating the meds so far {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 01:28 PM

I hope Cab takes his meds better than my colony (for an UNRELATED issue). It is too funny trying to think of ways to bribe them with their meds. Cab is being such a trooper!

I got the greatest news for a monday morning from my vet. BOTH of my tests for tritrich came back NEGATIVE!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 05:46 PM

I got lucky, my antibiotics were flavored and all but two think they're getting an extra special treat tounge

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 03/26/12 11:50 PM

Glad to hear Cab is doing well!

I got the greatest news for a monday morning from my vet. BOTH of my tests for tritrich came back NEGATIVE!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!

:yes: clap dance
Posted By: Ryark

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 06/05/12 05:09 AM

What were the final results of Cab's final PCR test after the meds? This thread was so interesting to read! I'm going to make sure to get a well pet exam and a negative fecal on all of my joeys prior to them leaving my house, for sure. It seems like the ethical thing to do.

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 06/05/12 05:55 AM

I am sorry to report Cab still had tri trich and Danielle and her vet talked about Cabs future and quality of life alone and on meds that would give him neurological side effects so they decided it was in Cabs best interest to be euthanized. Danielle Had a hard time with this and was very upset. As you can imagine. That has been quite some time ago. Since then she has put together a colony of 5 soon to be six loves of her life. I cut all their nails yesterday! They all look happy together with her and healthy and full of vim and vinegar!
Posted By: kittybaran

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 06/07/12 12:42 PM

Can this tri-trich thing be misdiagnosed as ring worm when taking a skin a skin swab?

Re: Heartbroken *Updated* - 06/07/12 12:54 PM

not this time, his vet saw it under the scope, gave a round of meds, days later saw it again, put him on different meds, towards the end of that course of treatment she sent some stool to zoologic and they still saw it. so then went on a diff med and after that the tri trich was still there, I believe that's how it went. I hope Danielle sees this and corrects me if I am wrong.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL