GliderCENTRAL

plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated

Posted By: Anonymous

plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 07:32 AM

so i spent the night at my friend nicoles house last night and i don't know how but all the water in my gliders cage got empity'd and now my little girl is very dehydrated. when i found her about an hour ago she was extremely critical, she actually fell out of her pouch when she tried to move and when i picked her up she was soooooo limp she just wouldn't even try to move, i thought i was going to loser her right then and there. I am home alone and i don't have a drivers license so i can't get to the vet until tomarrow. so far i have given her water, and very watery fruits. its all i have right now to give her. she does seem to be doing a little better, she is up and slowly walking around, and she did bite me twice for trying to pick her up, also she is eating on her own. she is still very slow and weak. will she make it through the night? is it safe for me to go to bed, or should i stay up and watch her all night. please help i've only had her for 8 months. she's my baby i really need help.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 07:41 AM

Can you get any pedialite? Gatoraide? Keep offering her water. I think you should offer her water - sort of make her drink - several times throughout the night - maybe every hour.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 07:47 AM

If you can walk to a convenience or grocery store now, she has to have electrolytes (pedialyte, gatorade)-and critical is the absolute right word. In the morning, do not wait to take her-call and tell them you ARE coming, hang up, and go. Without the electrolytes in the body, signals cannot pass between cell properly, including those that signal things like breathing, heartrate, and brain function-which is why dehydration can be so deadly, and in such a small animal, so quickly. Just water (or fruits) will not replace the electrolyte minerals that are crucial. A vet and subq fluids is IMPERATIVE ASAP not only to save her life, but to keep permanent damage from being done to her organs that can cause lifelong problems. D5W w/glucose is what I'd make sure the vet gives.

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 08:04 AM

And it's not enough, but might help if all else fails pre vet-and this is NOT a "home remedy" or vet substitute-so PLEASE no one take this in lieu of vet advice-but if nothing else can be gotten, sugar and salt are the most basic of the electrolytes and might help her survive to the vet-something like potato chips (sodium) and some honey until you can get her there. They are not all of the needed minerals, and are very, very temporary-like a couple/few hours, so it's only a stopgap measure until a vet is obtained.

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 08:17 AM

I don't know what other advice I can give to you other than what's already been given.

You'll both be in my thoughts; I hope she pulls through this! hug2
Posted By: iwuvmahmonkaypuppays

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 08:18 AM

deffinately give pedialyte and go to the vets...i suggest midwest exotics http://www.midwestexotichospital.com/moving.html
give them a call and get there asap...i went there for 2 emergencys and they are really good...it only take like 40 mins (less with the way my dad drives) on the expressway from aurora

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 08:20 AM

they are 24 hours so call and get going now

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 08:26 AM

I gather the problem is she doesn't have a car-and that's a bit far to walk. If she could find someone to drive her, tho, it's doable.

I wanted to add to my last post-continue giving water as well...without the electrolytes her body may have a hard time holding/processing it, but it's necessary also.

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 01:51 PM

morning update,
well she is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better this morning she was up and moving this morning she climbed on her cage which is something she couldn't do last night. unfortunately the only ride i have is my grandma, and she isn't comming home until about 2. I feel really bad now because i just recently failed my drivers test (friday) because i was too carefull. well thanks for the advice. i'll try to get her in asap. but she is doing 100% better.
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 02:09 PM

That is a good sign, but I would still get her to a vet ASAP for a checkup, if nothing else. Glad she made it thru the night!
Posted By: LSardou

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 02:11 PM

clap I am so happy to hear that she is doing better this morning. I suggest that you still keep a very close eye on her, and make sure she is still drinking plenty of fluids. It still wouldn't hurt to take he into the vet just to have a check up to make sure everything is still alright.
Your doing a great job, prayers are with you !
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Xfilefan
A vet and subq fluids is IMPERATIVE ASAP not only to save her life, but to keep permanent damage from being done to her organs that can cause lifelong problems. D5W w/glucose is what I'd make sure the vet gives.
Even though she's doing 100% better, a trip to the vet when you have a ride this afternoon for sub-Q fluids is still a needed thing. Glad to hear she's doing better!

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 04:50 PM

trust me after last nights scare i plan on taking her in asap. but i did get to walk to the store. (6 miles frown ) and i got about 3cc's of pedialite in her which is good. and i'm going to keep it going every hour or so just to try and get those electrolites up. i'm just glad at how well she's responding she's acting as if nothing happened, but i will deff. get her into the vet. so sub q fluids are needed even still? just wanna make sure so i can get her the best help possible.

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 05:18 PM

ok i'm getting really frustrated, every vet i call is giving me the run around. and i can't even get a hold of the midwest one the link you gave me opens and all, but when i call the number it says its been disconected. i called one place and the receptionist said that the only vet there that does exotics refuses to do "squirrels" i kept telling her its not a squirrel and she was like ya a sugar glider is a flying squirrel so i'm like whatever can you refer me to someone who does, and when i called that place, they didn't answer. I'm trying so hard but i just cant seem to find anyone. the one i had picked out before i got my gliders is buisy so i'm going to keep calling them. will she be ok in the mean time with just pedialite and water?
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 05:40 PM

Sugarabsession, That's where I used to go when I lived in Illinois too was Midwest, they used to be on Manheim road in Lagrange but have moved. I'll get the correct address for you, but I still keep there # on my cell it's 1-708-453-8181. I also reccomend Animal 911 I think ther are near skokie and they have a ER service all nite too. I think they are Dempster road. I'l see whta I can do as for address's for you! I'm glad to hear she made it thru the nite!!

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 06:30 PM

new problems arising, too stressfull to say again, please check breeding and babies for our newest problem.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/24/07 11:07 PM

*any* vet can see her and give sub-Q fluids.

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/25/07 12:48 AM

call ness exotic wellness... http://www.nessexoticwellness.com/
thats where i go....i know for sure they see gliders...also i take my rabbit to indian prarie hospital and the exotic vet there is really nice and i had asked and they also see gliders....its rite by hobby lobby on 59 http://www.ipahvet.com/

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/25/07 03:36 AM

i agree with the Pedialyte or Gatorade

get some ASAP

i hope that everything comes through alright
Posted By: BCChins

Re: plz respond asap!!my baby is extemely dehydrated - 06/25/07 04:00 AM

I hope your baby feels better soon.
I also wanted to add you can freeze the pydialyte in Ice Cube trays to keep on hand. It only keeps in the fridge for a few days. After it is frozen put in Ziplock baggies to keep on hand.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL