GliderCENTRAL

Since it's me What ELSE could it be....

Posted By: glidrz5

Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 05:22 PM

A few weeks ago, I had Baxter, Bailey and Sydney in to have their teeth cleaned. Dr Kaiser said everything looked awsome and he didn't see any issues other than plaque build up. As a precaution tho, he had me put them on Clindamiacyn. Well after finishing up his dose, Bailey started acting like his mouth was STILL hurting him. So he was put back on Clindamiacyn for another round. We thought that maybe there was a little bit of residual infection lingering. He finished up his second batch and was still pawing at his mouth, acting like something hurt in there. So he went back into the vets for an x-ray. Before sedating him, we once again looked into his mouth and everything looked great....however once the x-ray was developed we saw that he did indeed have a bad tooth. It was just an insidious one that was pretending it was perfect to look at when it was actually bad deep inside it.
So now Bailey has to go in next Monday and have the bad/nasty/painful tooth surgically removed. In the meantime he goes BACK on his meds and gets soft/liquid foods to eat that won't hurt him as much. Hopefully this will finally get him back on the road to recovery, and he will start gaining back some of the weight he lost the last several months.
From the X-Ray, Dr Kaiser also discovered that Bailey's heart was a bit enlarged. It's not enought to require medication at this point, but is something that we will want to keep an eye on.
need_hug
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 05:31 PM

awwwwwwwwwwwwww chris! hug2 i'm sorry bailey has a bad tooth! not fun for bailey or for momma! i am glad that they kept looking and caught it. some people might have just blown it off. good for you and your vet! will keep you and all your babies in my prayers for good health and general wellness. you hang in there!

rho
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 06:13 PM

hug2 hug2 Oh no Chris! I'm so sorry you and Bailey have to go through this. cry You have a great vet though and you're a terrific mommy for recognizing the signs, Bailey will come through with flying colors feeling a lot better with that nasty toof all gone! grin

Is it possible the heart is enlarged due to infection? That happens to us humans sometimes. dunno

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 06:42 PM

I'm so sorry! Poor little guy! Hugs and prayers are being sent your way!

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 06:47 PM

awww chris! your babies and thier teeth! Big hugs coming your way.... give little B a kiss for me!
Posted By: Candy

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 07:54 PM

awww...Poor guy, and poor you! Sending hugs and scritches. Keeping you both in my prayers.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 08:25 PM

hug2 I'm so sorry you and Bailey are going through this Chris! I hope everything goes well with the surgery Monday and that will be the end of the problems for him! Hugs and more hugs to both of you!!! hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/28/08 11:48 PM

Chris, You and Bailey are in my thoughts and prayers!! Call if you need me ok? hug2
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 01/29/08 12:48 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Chris ... so sorry to hear you and you fuzzies are still having problems ... may hugs and much love !!!

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 01:23 PM

Well, Bailey heads in to the vets in @ an hour to get rid of the nasty insidious tooth that was pretending to be beautiful & perfect. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well & his mouth feels better quickly. I'm also going to take my camera in & see if I can get a picture of his x-ray to post for you.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 01:40 PM

good luck
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 01:59 PM

Let me know, Chris! hug2 Justin has a Dr appt. this morning so I'll be up late. Poor little guy! He'll feel better, though...make sure you've got enough antibiotics and stuff, particularly if it's draining.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 03:15 PM

poor little guy. i hope his mouth will feel much better after he gets it pulled,

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 04:28 PM

Well, we are back from the vets & Bailey is nearly bouncing off the walls. Apparently the torb has kicked in. My poor boy didn't just have one bad tooth, Dr Kaiser ended up having to remove 5 of his teeth! Poor little guy. He's going to be on licky foods for the next few days. He is also going to be away from his colony & I know he'll miss Baxter and Brodie. To help him tho, he does have permission to go into work with me & help me run audit LOL I've got a really great boss who tells me that so long as they don't fly around the hotel & be out where guest will see them, then if they are sick they can come to work so I can keep an eye on them. This way I can make sure that he eats and is feeling OK.
I was also able to get pictures of his X-Ray. I've attached both the stomach view and side view for you to see.

Attached picture Bailey's X-Ray Closeup stomach view.JPG
Attached picture Bailey's X-Ray side view.JPG

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 05:44 PM

hug2 Poor baby and you too! I hate that you are going through all of this with your babies Chris! Thank God they have you for their mommy though! Give him extra mealie guts from me! heart

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 05:52 PM

hug2

Hope your baby gets better soon, lots of hugs and prayers for you! heart
Posted By: TracieB

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 05:53 PM

hug2 Hope Bailey gets feeling better soon. Sorry you guys are having to go through this. hug2
Posted By: Lynsie

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 05:57 PM

Oh my poor Bailey!! hug2

Chris, has it ever occured to you that maybe it's something you are feeding that is causing this? Do you feed anything out of the ordinary compared to most people? It just seems odd that you have so many peridontal problems with your gliders.
Posted By: uraqt33

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 07:36 PM

Lynsie, I thought Chris fed HPW... dunno
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 07:38 PM

Well some gliders do have tooth issues...have you talked to Jen xfilefan at all? I know she has been through a lot with her gliders...you should talk to her a bit...I think she has a lot of great knowledge in the area of teeth and such. She had a lot of info when my little girls eye swelled up...she ended up with a sinus infection...Jen has been through that one, so she was a big help in getting me the info on what I needed...it took a couple trips to the vet and a lot of meds and a few phone calls, but she is finally all better. Maybe Jen could have some good advice for you too.

Good luck and best wishes...hope you and your baby feel better!
Posted By: tngliderlover

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 08:58 PM

Chris, sorry that Bailey had the tooth issues. *hugs* hug2

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/04/08 09:32 PM

April, she feed Teresa's diet(at least I'm pretty sure) but I know her babies get a whole platter full of goodies everynight laugh

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 03:07 AM

I have fed Reeps diet for @ 9 months now. Prior to that I fed PML. The gliders will eat both equally well, tho Bax, Bailey & Brodie seem to prefer the PML. They also get frozen mixed vegetables & fruit every night. The one thing I've noticed is that mine are NOT fruit gliders. They normally eat all their veggies and leave their fruit. It is possible that is a part of the problem. Since the possibility of scurvy in gliders has come to light I have been making an effort to increase the amount of vitamin C that my kids get just in case that is a contributing factor. However since my kids don't care for fruit it is not easy.
Gwen, I have discussed my kids with Jen. At this point since we don't know WHAT is the cause of my kids issues we are at a bit of a loss as to how to solve the problem.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 04:41 AM

I was thinking more of the addition things you feed besides the basic diet, like the canned asparagus, ensure, baby food, and I know you feed a few other things but they are slipping my mind right now. If I were you, I would assess what I have been feeding my gliders on a regular basis for the last couple of years and try to determine of one of those things would be a factor in why all my gliders are having these peridontal problems.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 11:29 AM

The baby food I feed is chicken, papaya and mango. According to the ingredients listed it is either chicken & chicken broth or fruit and water. There is no additional sugar listed. The only reason I feed it is that it is a basic ingredient in their staple (the chicken baby food) and it is one of the few fruits they will eat on a regular basis. I would definately prefer feeding natural fruits, but it does me no good to offer them if they will not eat them.
I did follow the ensure diet, as did you, for a short time. It was not an optimum diet, but at that time it was something they would eat as they would not touch BML. Again it is better to offer them something with vitamins/calcium they will eat as opposed to something they will not touch. Once I determined they would eat the wombaroo, they were switched over to it. Now the ensure is offered only to ill gliders to give them added calories they might need or as a rare treat.
IF their diet is a factor in their dental issues I would say it is more the fact that they do not eat fruit, rather than what treats they are given.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 11:39 AM

The few things in a glider diet KNOWN to cause decay, either Chris' gliders won't eat...or they aren't offered.

Chris, I did discuss water with you once...did you try the other? It was all I could come up with as far as her diet was concerned.

How's the big guy this morning?

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 11:59 AM

I picked up a gallon of purified water when I was at the store, but left it in my car tounge It does a LOT of good in there rather than in the furkids.
As to Mr Bailey.... He is a riot! He came to work with me and enjoyed running on Mom while his travel cage was set up. He was downright hyper and even went so far as to sit on my head for a bit. (I think the torb made him a tad loopy) He ate a little bit of yogurt on his own but didn't want to eat anything else. So I force fed him a little bit of ensure and he is now happily sleeping in his crate.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 12:48 PM

The pain meds will kill appetite. Let him have what he wants for now (his favorites). Also watch for constipation from them-the pain meds (I know you know this, but worth saying again).

I will say I can't find anything wrong in Chris' diet or treats. If he's sensitive to chemicals in the tap is another story. Did you get purified (as in distilled) or Spring? If distilled (like you put in Irons, Humidifiers, etc.) exchange for spring water. Distilled water will actually pull minerals from the body.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 02:01 PM

Hmmmmmm, I'll have to check on that. I know it said purified on the jug not distilled.... they had both kinds at the store & were very distinct in the labeling. Since I had Mr Bailey with me, I left it in the car again tounge in order to get him in more quickly. He is back with his bubbies for the day & will go back to work with me again tonight. The first thing he did is run to his water bowl... I guess water out of a dish doesn't taste the same. He held Brodies hand while he drank....so cute! Then he ran over to check out what THEY had to eat! So he must be feeling better.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 03:10 PM

Chris, I'm so sorry he had to have 5 of his teeth pulled instead of just the one frown I'm glad to hear he's active and his appetite is coming back though smile

off_topic Jen, I was not aware that distilled water would be harmful to gliders dunno What about water purified through Osmosis? Do you know?

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/05/08 04:57 PM

Distilled water can be harmful to any animal, and people shouldn't really drink it, either. Osmosis/Reverse osmosis is fine-that's actually a filtering process. Distilling is turning the liquid into a gas, where it then condenses into another container back into water as ONLY Hydrogen and oxygen (H2O), no minerals, no nothing-all that is left behind. It's why it works well on cutting mineral deposits in irons and such. But we're SUPPOSED to have that in our drinking water to some degree-not the bad stuff, like they filter out, but some of it is necessary.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/06/08 10:04 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know that Bailey is feeling GOOD tonight! He is up, active & showing a strong interest in food! As a matter of fact, when I was getting ready for work, he got up & was over at the plate I'd put in the cage for Baxter & Brodie stuffing his face with peas. He was eating them slowly and carefully, but he was EATING without being prompted! Then once I got him to work, he chowed a little bit more on the plate I'd made for him, took a nap, came out to visit with Mom a bit and is currently running like mad on the travel size rescue wheel that Teresa made for me! (Thank you Teresa, I know I got it for Nicky & Meeko to have in their cage, but Bailey is test driving it for them first) He is also looking alert and his tail is fully fluffed out.
Jen... I still haven't brought in the water to see how it was purified, but I promise I will check on that before giving it to the kids.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/06/08 10:19 AM

clap hug2

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/06/08 10:20 AM

Chris, be careful with the peas-they will impact in the socket. I blended Lyah's for her.

Glad to hear he's doing good!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/06/08 11:39 AM

Chris, I'm so glad to hear that he's doing so well! That's excellent news clap clap clap

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/06/08 02:06 PM

Jen, I couldn't stop him from grabbing the peas... he was on them before I even realized he was up.
I also checked the water & it was purified through reverse osmosis.

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/11/08 10:12 AM

How's the little guy doing, Chris?

Re: Since it's me What ELSE could it be.... - 02/11/08 03:19 PM

Bailey is doing AWSOME! His appetite is improving & I'm not having to encourage him to eat. He is maintaining his weight without assistance. Hopefully he'll start gaining soon. In addition, he looks perky, his fur is shiny & his tail fluffy.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL