GliderCENTRAL

Something wrong with ear?

Posted By: Trigger

Something wrong with ear? - 08/02/08 04:53 PM

Shanu has something wierd going on with his right ear. The inside has what looks like dry skin peeling? It is clear and reminds me of peeling from a sunburn but on a much smaller scale of course.
He has a vet appointment Monday and the vet said it could be yeast? Mites? Will check, diagnose and treat of course.

Anyone here know what this sounds like?
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/02/08 05:41 PM

I have had gliders ears look like they are dry/peeling before. The vet couldn't figure anything out with them (it was when they were younger) and they have all basically grown out of it. dunno Let us know how the vet visit goes!
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/02/08 05:44 PM

heart Good luck! He'll be fine, but I'm glad your taking him to the vet! Good for you Mommy! smile

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/02/08 05:58 PM

Gretchen, I am so glad to hear that, I don't figure it's much because I have seen the pics here of mites and it doesn't look anything like that. Also he seems completely unaware of it, no scratching or shaking the head, nothing that would indicate discomfort.
Maybe Dr. Chukle will have an idea of what is is tho.

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/04/08 10:12 PM

Dr. Chucle scraped the stuff and put it under a microscope, no mites or anything she could figure out but advised me to go ahead and put a little anti-fungal cream just as precaution.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/04/08 10:34 PM

i'd clean it with saline solution (on a qtip or sterile gauze dont drown the ear!) and a little anti fungal. Once the area is cleaner you can tell if its irritation, infection, necrotic or injury.

is there redness?

what does this gunk look like? Gooey, puss?

inside or outside of the ear?

sorry for repeat questions... when i first got in the thread no one had posted! haha

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/04/08 10:43 PM

No absolutely nothing but what looks like dry peeling skin. It is inside the ear near the very top of it. It flaked right off for the dr today and there was no indication of any other type problem at all.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/04/08 10:45 PM

hmm has it been dry or more humid than usual in your part of the world?

smile
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/04/08 11:39 PM

My vet thought it was dry skin and said I could put some salve on it if it would make me feel better...it did make me feel better, but didn't seem to make that much of a difference. As I said, they just sort of grew out of it (but I kept putting lotion or salve on their ears too) roflmao

Re: Something wrong with ear? - 08/05/08 01:11 AM

Yes, I really don't think it is anything and my vet didn't either but I wanted to get it checked because I don't know anything about mites and such.
Right now there is nothing left to put any medicine on because the tiny bit he had was scraped for the slide today...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL