GliderCENTRAL

How fat is fat?

Posted By: DeeDancer

How fat is fat? - 10/20/08 09:15 AM

I've mentioned before that I got my first glider from PPP. She was on their diet before I learned that it is not healthy. She was VERY underweight, so I put her on Darcy's Diet as soon as I found GC. After a while she wouldn't eat the fruits, veggies, or protein (only the Ensure) even when I put the Ensure in a few hours after the others. Therefore I decided to go to a more blended diet so she couldn't pick what she gets to eat. I slowly got her on the Priscilla Price diet and since she has been on it I have noticed rapid weight gain in both her and her cagemate (who has always been what I assumed to be a "normal" weight).

So my question is...what does an obese glider look like? I am worried that I will allow my gliders to gain too much weight and it will risk their health. I don't have a scale so I am trying to base this solely on appearance. If they ARE too big, how can I help them lose weight?
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: How fat is fat? - 10/20/08 09:35 AM

You have to look at the glider and see the body/bone structure. I have an alpha male and he is a bit pudgy, but he had a large frame so he fills it in well and does not look too fat. Now if any of my others weighed what he did, they would be very obese. His lady is TINY, but looking at her you can tell she has that dainty and petite structure, she is by no means thin. Basically you want your glider to look filled out but not overly roley poley looking. Cleavage is fine if in moderation and very very normal.

Also, get a scale. My little Ivy lost 20 G and I knew she was looking thin, weighed her and got her on medications again (she has been sick on and off since I rescued her) as well as started giving more food (this is a hard thing to do with my alpha guy/her honey getting so big already...lol. But needless to say after being treated and extra food rations, her weight went back to her normal, something that I could only tell by actually weighing her daily. even more than once some days just for close monitoring of her process.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: How fat is fat? - 10/20/08 10:22 AM

You need to feel their patagiums (gliding membranes) and gently rub the two layers of skin against each other. You shouldn't feel any fatty thickness between the two layers of skin - if you do, your glider is overweight. This is a tip that Bourbon taught me. She said that gliders store excess fat in their patagiums. I tried it with my gliders and could tell right away that my Mareki was definitely obese at 202 grams (she's now down to about 156 grams) but my DaisyMae was just fine at 158 grams... Here's my Mareki when she was a FLUFFY girl heart

Re: How fat is fat? - 10/20/08 05:00 PM

Aww she's adorable even though she's "fluffy" grin Where can I buy a scale?
Posted By: KattyM

Re: How fat is fat? - 10/21/08 12:48 AM

You can buy a gram for around $15-$20 at places like Target or Wal-Mart. Check in the cooking section.

Weigh them at the same time each morning or evening, before they eat or drink anything.

Re: How fat is fat? - 10/22/08 09:14 PM

Thank you! smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL