GliderCENTRAL

2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish

Posted By: Anonymous

2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:12 AM

I give 2 thumb thumb for who ever created the "Vegetable Relish" - my two boys hate their vegetables (minus corn), but last night I made the relish and they cleared the plate.... w00t w00t.

Here are PICS from the mishap I had while making the Relish....
it was so funny I just had to share - see what happens when you leave the cover off and forget to remove your mixing spoon.

blush roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao blush

Attached picture 9319-060407_2324.jpg
Attached picture 9320-060407_2325.jpg
Attached picture 9321-060407_2323.jpg

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:16 AM

Oh BTW - when I went to make some toast this morning - the smoke signals went up from some Vegetable Relish that got into my toaster from the mishap the night before.... now that was funny (and smelled real bad) - lol. agree

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:18 AM

ewww but funny (I've done the same thing!) Jackandsally (Nancy) posted the veggie and fruit relish recipes on the midwestgliderweb. I'm not sure if she came up with them or if she got them elsewhere.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:37 AM

Rhapsody, that MUST be why my smoke alarm went off for no reason this morning. It was all your fault! roflmao I definitely need to try that recipe tho. Where did you get it?

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Taylynn
. Where did you get it?

From here..... one of the members gave it to me for I had posted about picky to non vegetable eater.

VEGETABLE RELISH:

1 - 32 ounce bag of mixed vegetables, defrosted (green beans, sweetcorn, carrots and peas)

4 - fluid ounces of white grape juice

4 - table spoons of honey

Put half of everything into blender and blend until consistency of relish,
do same with other half and mix together.
Freeze in ice cube trays and give 1 cube per glider.

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=204333&Searchpage=1&Main=20498&Words=veggie+delight&topic=0&Search=true#Post204333
Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:56 AM

Hi,
I came up with a veggie relish & a fruit smoothie recipe about 6 years ago and that's the only way I could get my gliders to eat all their vegetables and they love their fruit smoothie... That's so funny because you did exactly what I did when I first started making up the veggie relish..... roflmao I was in a hurry to add the juice and honey and get everything mixed up to see if the babies like it or not, I forgot to put the lid on and relish went everywhere.....hehehe.... I don't know if you are making the same recipe that I created. But I know mine love their veggie's now and they eat all of them...... thumb

Anita heart

That's my recipe.....hehehe....

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: SweetGliders

I don't know if you are making the same recipe that I created.
But I know mine love their veggie's now and they eat all of them...... thumb

Anita heart

That's my recipe.....hehehe....

KEWL!! - it is good to meet the maker of the Relish.... and Thanks a Million. heart glider heart

I altered mine just a little bit.... for I forgot to buy Grape Juice
(and) with all the talk about grapes not being good for our little one I was weary about using it.

My Version of VEGETABLE RELISH:

1 - 32 oz mixed vegetables, defrosted (1 cup corn, 2 cup Peas, 1 cup cooked carrots)

1 - 4 oz Gerber Fruit Juice w/ Yogurt.
(w/ added Apple Juice 1/4 cup) - to help w/ thickness

4 - TBSP Honey

I used the vegetables I listed above for I had already purchased 32 oz bags of each of them individually for feeding to my two SG on vegetable nights, but I think I will get the bag of mixed vegetables next time - when my supply runs out.

Would YOU be so kind as to share your Fruit SMoothie.... I would love to try it out on my SG. glider glider

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:23 AM

thanks

That sounds good. I am glad you & your babies like it. You can also change it up by adding different kinds of juices: Like CranCherry, CranGrape, baby food mixed fruit or banana with yogurt juice. plus more... I even changed out and did less honey so that the babies weren't getting to much honey will the BML and the veggie relish mix together.....The white grape juice is ok to use . Like I said I have been doing this recipe for around 6 years and haven't had any problems... With God on mine & my babies sides, everyone of my joey and adult gliders are and have been healthy. But I know everyone wants to be cautious. That's fine..... (oh and you can change up the mixed veggie too, just be careful on getting the mixed veggie's with lima beans in them.)

smile

Anita heart

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:41 AM

thanks
(oh and you can change up the mixed veggie too, just be careful on getting the mixed veggie's with lima beans in them.)

Owned by 50 Wonderful Gliders, 2 cats, 5 flying squirrels and a wonderful understanding husband.

http://www.mysweetgliders.com

Thank you

Oh MY! Oh MY! - Do YOU really own and have 50 SG?

AND... KEWL! - I just signed your questbook last night and I posted a link to your site on my personal SG website.

Nice to meet YOU.... wave

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:50 AM

Hi Rhapsody,
It's very nice to meet you too. Yes I do have 50 + gliders, which are all my babies and work a full time job, that's another reason I came up with the veggie relish recipe because you can make it up and put it in the ice cube trays like the BML recipe. A simple and easy fix for everynight feeding for multiple gliders. Thank you signing my guestbook and posting a link to my site on your personal SG website. Sometime you'll have to try out my fruit smoothie recipes.

Anita heart

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 07:13 AM

Hi Rhapsody,
Sometime you'll have to try out my fruit smoothie recipes.
Anita heart

Is the recipe on your website? - if not can you post it here or a link to it - Thanks.... smile

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 07:40 AM

Here is the Fruit Smoothie recipe

Fruit Smoothie:
5-6 pound bag of mixed fruit,
4 oz baby white grapefruit juice(or almost any other juices)
2-4 tablespoons of honey,
1/2 cup of Dannon French Vanilla Yogurt

Just defrost your bag of fruit & drain the juice, if they are frozen and then place in blender & blend until smooth. Pour into ice cube trays and then serve 1/2 cube to 1 cube per night per a single to a pair of gliders.

Let me know how your babies like it.

Anita heart

(now remember I am serving over 50 gliders with this recipe)

Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 10:30 AM

Anita,
I've always wondered who came up with these recipes and now I know! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I have been using them for a couple of years now and my gliders LOVE them!!! Especially the fruit smoothie heart
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 01:18 PM

Question? Does it bother the gliders not to have stuff to pick up to eat? If they are eating the fruit smoothie and veggie relish plus a mix like BML - does it hurt their teeth only having soft food? Or do you alternate? Thinking of trying these because they only want their staple food plus corn. dunno
Posted By: LSardou

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 01:55 PM

Meltmdl, If you mix your fruit/veggie on the "grind" it will not make it into puree...

Anitia..........Thanks so much for being the inventor of these two wonderful treats.....I always wondered who was behind it too heart
Posted By: morksmom

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 02:48 PM

Since the fruit has different ingredients than are used by the bml diet can you still do that and not throw anything off..also the veggie relish is it ok for bml users adding the extra honey and juice???

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 03:02 PM

For vegetable relish, do you give them a cube, then fruit?? confused I don't get it. Or do you feed them that one night, then fruit the next??
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 03:42 PM

I would like to know about the ratios with the BML, too.

Mine are SO darn picky! They will eat the BML (I use Judie's) and they will eat peas and corn. That's it! They don't really like any fruit. They don't eat greenbeans or carrots. They will eat spinach, but I don't want to give them that every night!

So - will this fruit and veggie smoothie thing throw off the ratios for BML. Should I mix the BML differently to make up for it? Where's Bourbon when you need her!!??

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 04:29 PM

val i use the bml diet and i use the smoothie and am doing the relish tonight but from what i gather it dosent throw any thing off because you are not using that much honey and you can put friut juice in the water to get them th drink it. with doing the smoothie and relish i just dont use honey for klickey treats

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SuggieLuver4941
For vegetable relish, do you give them a cube, then fruit?? confused I don't get it. Or do you feed them that one night, then fruit the next??

After you make up the Vegetable Relish you place it in the ice trays just like you do the BML and then freeze them..... 1 cube per 2 SG (2 tbsp per cube).

And YES, it is vegetable cube one night and then fruits the next night, but not on the same night.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Mel2mdl
Question? Does it bother the gliders not to have stuff to pick up to eat? If they are eating the fruit smoothie and veggie relish plus a mix like BML - does it hurt their teeth only having soft food? Or do you alternate? Thinking of trying these because they only want their staple food plus corn. dunno

Well, in the wild I would say most of their food is soft, minus the cricket, worms and other bugs they eat.... and it you do the vegetable relish right they will have the skins to pick thru and drop.

I personally only use the vegetable relish, for like your SG mine too would only eat the corn - I feed all fruits chopped up, but I will try the fruit smoothies from time to time (more as a treat).

.... hope this INFO helped.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:42 PM

Rhapsody,
Do you feed bml if so dont they get fruit and veggies each night?

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:46 PM

I have to feed mine either or - but not both - other wise they NEVER touch their vegetables..... if I was to feed both the relish the fruit on the same night they would never eat their BML.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: morksmom
Rhapsody,
Do you feed bml if so dont they get fruit and veggies each night?

But YOU are right this what is says about feeding the BML Diet

The rule of thumb per glider:

1 TBSP BML
1 TBSP Fruit
1 TBSP Vegetaables
Insects (feed in the morning)

IF they DON'T eat it all just back off on every thing... offer only half of the recommended amounts and only a few pieces of veggies - - - If they are eating 3/4 of a tablespoon each then they are doing good.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugargliders/bml/leadbeat.html

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:18 PM

OK..thanks I have one pair that eats bml mostly and one pair that usually leaves the bml..go figure.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:39 PM

Wow! These look great. My babies are usually pretty good about eating their veggies but these seem like a nice variation for a little change.

Also, should you set the cubes out and let them "soften" a little before serving? I have always wondered if they mind having cold food.

One last question...what bag of mixed of fruits do you use for the smoothie, and if you are feeding four what size adjustment should be made?

Thanks for all the help!!!
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:42 PM

I'm gonna try the veggie relish tonight, if I can get it made. shakehead They are still eating fruit, but I might try the smoothie too - sounds good, maybe I'll give it to my nonfur child. roflmao

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Giggles

Also, should you set the cubes out and let them "soften" a little before serving? I have always wondered if they mind having cold food.

One last question...what bag of mixed of fruits do you use for the smoothie, and if you are feeding four what size adjustment should be made?

(1) I place the ice cube in their feeding tray in the cage and it will defrost quickly... they will even nibble at it a little bit when it is still frozen.

(2) As far as the amount to use on the fruit smoothie - I would say that you will have to do some math to figure this one out - for as you can see the creator of this mix feed "50 Gliders" - Eeeek! shock

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/06/07 06:55 PM

I am going to base my Fruit Smoothie amount off on my Vegetable Relish amount.

This is the recipe I am going to try:

Fruit Smoothie:

1 - 32 oz bag of mixed fruit,
1 - 4 oz Gerber Fruit Juice w/ Yogurt
2 - TBSP of Honey
1/4 cup of Dannon French Vanilla Yogurt

.... I will perfect it as I need while making it - for thickness.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 03:51 AM

Thanks Rhapsody,
That is correct on the measurements to the fruit smoothie and the veggie relish. they follow the same recipe as the smaller batch of veggie relish.... No, these 2 recipes do not throw off the BML balance. It has worked for me for years and my gliders are all healthy and they eat all their BML, fruit smoothie's & veggie relish every night...

Thank you guy's. I am glad to see some of you have already tried these recipes and they are working for you.

Now let's see how many more of you and your gliders like these recipes. It will be great to hear if it's working out for other people too.

Anita heart

Gliders like variety.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 06:37 AM

My gliders loved the veggie relish! Twinkie eats anything, but the other rescue (currently not named) is VERY picky. Hip-Hip-hurray!

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 06:38 AM

I was wondering which mix of fruits is okay for the fruit smoothie. Berries, pineapple, melon, bananas or...?

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: zioneri
I was wondering which mix of fruits is okay for the fruit smoothie. Berries, pineapple, melon, bananas or...?

Safe Fruits & Vegetables:
http://www.kryskritters.com/SafeFruitsVeggies.html

BML Fruits & Vegetables:

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 07:00 AM

Hey Zioneri -

I like your SIG.... I got that saying on a nice mantel piece from my husband for our 21 anniversary this year - thumb thumb

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 07:12 AM

smile Thanks! jump And thank you for the link. :: I have really been worried about accidentally feeding them a fruit that was bad for them so I have stuck with the few I know to be safe. This makes for a very boring fruit selection. frown

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 07:19 AM

You are Welcome..... and keep in mind - NO FRUIT SEEDS, bad for SG.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 07:48 AM

That takes so much stress off of me. dance

thanks

I really didn't want to make a mistake with these little girls.

off_topic I rescued them from a person who was feeding only yogurt mixed with bugs and berries powder. Twinkie is morbidly obese, and the other little girl is really picky.

Your info should help me finish straightening out their diet. agree

mlove Thanks!

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 08:49 AM

thumb
Great to hear Zioneri. Please keep us posted on how your little ones are doing and let me know how they like these recipes......

Anita heart

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: zioneri

off_topic I rescued them from a person who was feeding only yogurt mixed with bugs and berries powder. Twinkie is morbidly obese, and the other little girl is really picky.

I am so sorry to hear that someone else did take good care of the girls - BUT I am excited and happy to hear that you are now given them a good home for the rest of their life. hug2

I would love to see PICS of the girls.... here is a PIC of my boys from tent time last night.

Attached picture 9386-060607_ShmBrm.jpg

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/07/07 05:59 PM

LOL. That is so cute. smile roflmao

I will post pictures when I get my camera fixed. agree

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 12:48 AM

i have a question about the Fruit Smoothie... can you freeze the smoothie after you make it into a cube? like you do with the relish?

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 02:41 AM

I am pretty sure you can..... but honestly I have not made them yet (just the v-relish) - so that will have to be a question for the creator of it all - SweetGliders.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 03:03 AM

Hi, Yes you can freeze both the veggie relish and the fruit smoothie. Then once you pop out a veggie cube or a smoothie cube you will place it in the gliders dish and it usually thraws out like a slush or relish so the gliders lick it or pickup the chunks. You can puree blend either recipe, but I like to make it like the relish chop style so the gliders can use their hands to eat and Yes, to answer a few other peoples questions, they will get their BML, a Fruit smoothie cube & veggie cube everynight.

Hope I have answered everyones questions, if not keep the questions coming.

Anita heart

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Rhapsody
[quote=SweetGliders]thanks
(oh and you can change up the mixed veggie too, just be careful on getting the mixed veggie's with lima beans in them.)

Please clarify? Do or do not get the mixed veggie's with lima beans?? I can never find mixed veggie's combined that only have green beans, corn, peas, and carrotts. Asked my husband to get me the mixed veggie's at the store today and he bought the one with lima beans.

I want to try the veggie relish b/c lately I have noticed my baby some nights won't even touch the veggie's unless it is corn or peas.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: bobo1

Please clarify? Do or do not get the mixed veggie's with lima beans??

NO LIMA BEANS!!! - they are TOXIC to SUGAR GLIDERS.

I made my own mix - I purchased separate bags of corn & peas and then I cooked some baby carrots..... 1 c Corn, 2 c Peas, 1 c Cooked Carrots.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 03:38 AM

Thank you very much for clearing that up!!!! So glad I asked. thanks

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: bobo1
Thank you very much for clearing that up!!!! So glad I asked. thanks

You are Welcome...... When in Doubt - Always Ask!

http://www.kryskritters.com/SafeFruitsVeggies.html
... some ppl debate GRAPES.
... I do NOT feed them to my SG.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 05:38 AM

You sometimes can find serveral different name brands of vegetables that are just the plain mixed vegetables and sometimes you can find the bags with just peas and carrots together. So then I just buy bag of corn and a bag of greens beans and mix them all together. Or if you live near a Wal-Mart they have just the peas, carrots, corn and greens beans in their brand (freezer section). Or do what Rhapsody did, make your own.....

Best of Luck and Please keep us posted...

Thank you
Anita heart

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 07:13 AM

No grapes? WHY? I have fed them to mine and they love em. Will stop until I hear if they are ok. Am going to make some of those smoothies and vegie relish.

Thanks
Tosca

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 08:20 AM

Originally Posted By: mamajones
No grapes? WHY? I have fed them to mine and they love em. Will stop until I hear if they are ok.

From my understanding.... there have been some reported deaths to SG that were feed GRAPES (and other animals as well) - so many SG Owners do NOT prefer to feed them to their SG (better safe than sorry).

There are some articles on here about this problem.... maybe some one that knows where they are located will be so kind as to post a link for you to read about it.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 02:02 PM

I tried to pm Bourbon on the fruit smoothie but her box is full.
Using BML do you only put the recommened fruits and if so what measurements??

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: morksmom

Using BML do you only put the recommened fruits and if so what measurements??

YES... recommened Fruits.
You still follow the amount listed on the Vegetable Relish bag size... 1 - 32 oz bag / 4 cups.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/08/07 07:33 PM

Use the fruit list thats available, but change it up. Try 3-4 different fruits that your gliders already like, then add the honey & yogurt an see what your babies think. Thats how I started out. With the fruits that my babies already liked.

Anita heart
Posted By: nome63

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/09/07 04:10 AM

A lot of people feed grapes, but some feel as though they may be harmful. I think they are just being safer than sorry, but I do not personally think it is any cause for harm, since many people on here have been feeding grapes for years to their gliders and have had no problems. If you don't feel comfortable with the fact that some believ grapes could cause death in a SG, then certainly don't feed grapes. This is off-topic so I don't mean to interupt the current smoothie topic, just my 2cents.

Btw I hope to try your smoothie recipe cause my gliders don't eat squat for fruits and veggies.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/09/07 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: nome63
This is off-topic so I don't mean to interupt the current smoothie topic, just my 2cents.

No off_topic here - that I can see.
I thank you for your input and thoughts on the Grapes issue that came with the talk of fruit smoothies...... agree wave

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 04:11 AM

I made the Fruit Smoothie tonight..... and it was GOOD - per My Taste Buds - smile

I will feed it to my Sugar Gliders tonight and let you all know how it all goes tomorrow.

Fruit Smoothie:

1 - 32 oz bag of Mixed Fruit *
4 - TBSP of Honey
1/4 - Cup of Dannon French Vanilla Yogurt

* I used the Fresh Fruit I already had in the house from the BML diet.

Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honey Dew, Apples, Cherries, Blueberries (and a few) Grapes.
Posted By: nome63

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 04:50 AM

you had all that in the house already? smile
Posted By: jannee66

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 04:59 AM

She's good. agree

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: nome63
you had all that in the house already? smile

Yeap! Yeap! Yeap! - between my Sugar Gliders & Bearded Dragon - I might just start eating better my self. smile

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 03:13 PM

I've been up all night so all this information is jumbling in my head right now! (yay for nocturnal antics with my glider!)

I feed the BML diet, Half a cube (1 tbsp) a night (plus veg and fruit)
and my question is just to clarify before I do this... It IS ok to feed him a half cube of both the relish and the smoothie along with the BML every night with no missing days or alternating veggie one day fruit the next?

I was just worrying about the amount of honey/yogurt intake he was going to get overall really.

So yes this has probably been answered in this topic but as I mentioned the brain is a little mushy this morning lol... forgive me!

-Johnny Angel and his sleep deprived human Dianne

And as an FYI, my hairless rat "Buddy Love" also enjoys little tastes of the BML!!! .. as if he wasn't fat enough already!

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 03:23 PM

with the smoothies that I make... rather than adding honey or juice, I use melon to make it smoother.... since it contains more liquid, you can use just the fruits instead of adding the extra junk and throwing the BML diet off... I do add a little juice to the relish though... But all in all, its not enough to hurt much.
Posted By: TracieB

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 05:06 PM

Just adding my two cents! I took those recipes to my vet on one of my visits, and she recommended that I not feed them to my gliders because of the extra honey, juice, etc. She said it was too much added sugar. So if you're going to feed them at all, I wouldn't recommend feeding them every night, but that's just me (well, and my vet of course!).

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 05:35 PM

When I fed BML, I made treat cubes with the BML fruits and veggies. For the veggie mix, I just blended it with applesauce, but still left it a little chunky. The applesauce helped it freeze into a cube. My guys aren't that picky on the fruits, with the exception of melons. I just blended a few melons, applesauce can be added, and freeze.
I don't like the idea of all the extra honey, either. And if feeding the BML, you really shouldn't be adding all the extra stuff, anyway (yogurt, honey, or juice).
Posted By: Paula0442

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 05:47 PM

When I make the veggie cubes, I use mixed vegetables and add just a touch of V8. Just a touch, to help smooth it out. I don't want them to get too much of the tomato juice, so it ends up pretty diluted.

For the fruit cubes, I use a variety of fruits with a bit of apple juice.

I usually do this for when it's "just one of those days" or when I'm not home and my son has to do the feeding. It makes it easier on him.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TracieB
I took those recipes to my vet on one of my visits, and she recommended that I not feed them to my gliders because of the extra honey, juice, etc. She said it was too much added sugar.

That was kinda my thought on it, which is why i don't use any honey in either of the recipes....

For the smoothies, i just blend the fruits that are recommended for the BML. For the relish, I fill the blender about 3/4 full with veggies and one of the little 4 oz bottles of White Grape juice so that it makes the correct texture...

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 06:04 PM

Well, I'm desperate! I'd risk throwing the BML diet off to get my guys to eat fruits and veggies. I mean, if all they are eating is the BML, that's not good for them either!

However, no such luck. So far, 3 nights of the fruit smoothie have been rejected by all cages. And last night, first night of veggie relish, it wasn't touched either.

I just don't know how to get them to eat something besides BML!

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 06:18 PM

try feeding the fruits to them during the day as finger treats, then just offer the veggies and BML at night. they might do better like that....
Posted By: jannee66

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome
Well, I'm desperate! I'd risk throwing the BML diet off to get my guys to eat fruits and veggies. I mean, if all they are eating is the BML, that's not good for them either!

However, no such luck. So far, 3 nights of the fruit smoothie have been rejected by all cages. And last night, first night of veggie relish, it wasn't touched either.

I just don't know how to get them to eat something besides BML!

All 11 of them don't eat fruits and veggies?

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 06:37 PM

mine won't eat anything if i don't blend it with melon.... If i don't offer melon, they will leave the fruits there, If i offer melon, they will just eat that.... so i have to blend the melon with the other fruits to get them to eat them.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/18/07 11:35 PM

Ok great, thank you for the answers. The extra honey/yogurt was concerning me as the BML is meant to be a complete diet. I'll make the relish using applesauce and I have discovered that the fruit mix will be fine without anything at all because of the melon pieces and thier natural juices.

Thanks all =)

- Johnny Angel and his my-glider-eats-better-than-I-do human Dianne

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome

... I AGREE!! I AGREE!!

............ I TOTALLY AGREE!!
agree agree

Here is My Update on How the Smoothie Feeding Went.

What can I say BUT that my SG LOVED IT!!!! They ate every single bite...... Yum! Yum!
... they are now getting their Fruits as well as their Vegetables. I am Happy.... smile

And while I understand that some ppl on here will not use the Smoothies or Relish in fear of it throwing the BML Ratio off............... (and I RESPECT your RIGHT to do so)
I myself would rather my two SG eat the Vegetable Relish one Night and then eat the Fruit Smoothies the Night after than NOT eat any vegetables or fruits what so ever.... and that is what happens more than not when you have a picky eater as a pet.

I will try using less Honey the next time I make the Relish & Smoothies, then see how it goes from there.

P.S. - ValkyrieMome

How did YOU make the Relish & Smoothie? - what all did you put in it.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 06:39 AM

Tonight I tried making the fruit smoothie with no honey. I used baby food fruits to get the texture right - instead of the yogurt. I mixed the bag of mixed fruit with the baby food fruit. I hope they like it!

Jannie - I only have 5 gliders right now - the other 6 haven't come yet. And the 5 I have right now -- pretty much do NOT eat fruit, and only eat peas and corn for veggies.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 06:45 AM

Here is the Recipe I used..... try making it if the one you have does not work - my two loved it and they rarely eat their fruit.
... it filled two ice trays, thats a months worth (or more).

Fruit Smoothie:

1 - 32 oz bag of Mixed Fruit *
4 - TBSP of Honey
4 oz - Dannon Vanilla Yogurt

* I used Fresh Fruit I already had in the house from the BML diet.

Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honey Dew, Apples, Cherries, Blueberries (and a few) Grapes.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 06:51 AM

Rhapsody- I buy bags of mixed veggies -- but for the relish, I stick to the BML veggies. I defrost the green beans and carrots, and then blend them up with a little bit of apple juice. I try to get it "relish" consistency, not liquid. Then I stir in peas and corn, and just zap it with the blender.

For the smoothie, same thing. Except, since I feed Judie's BML, I use a bit different fruits than the regular BML. But mostly, I stick to close to the same. Then, tonight, I mixed it with baby food fruit - I added babyfood mango and papaya, and pears and applesauce. Then mixed that. So far, no one is eating it, but I think they are still on the first batch of fruit I made, with the yogurt and juice.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 06:55 AM

Oh - My mixed fruit bag had peaches, 2 kinds of melon, pineapple, (either mango or papaya, I forget) strawberries and grapes. I took out all the grapes and some of the pineapple.
I added in some blueberries at the end.

Edit: oh, and I put in Cherries instead of the grapes.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 07:16 AM

Hmm - Maybe leave the Pineapple out.... for it seems more of a sour to me, therefore, it might throw the whole sweet thing off for the SG?

... The only differnce I can see in yours and mine - Is that I used vanilla yogurt & more berries / cherries.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 12:10 PM

Silly question, I was reading the safe fruits and veggies list (http://www.kryskritters.com/SafeFruitsVeggies.html) and I happened to notice that blueberries is not listed.

These are safe right!? I'm using them atm in his fruit smoothies as per the BML lists.
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 01:27 PM

Yes blueberrys are VERY good for them!

This is why I always tell people if I am missing something to let me know... I am human and after you type out all that, I'm bound to miss even the simplest of fruits... smile

No such thing as a silly question! Especially when it comes to the heath & saftey or our babies mlove

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 01:44 PM

Thanks Krys! I was just making sure, still new at this being owned by a glider experience!

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 04:47 PM

YES... they are SAFE and they are listed on the BML Diet Page...... KK just missed this one, as her eyes probably started to go numb and fall alseep after typing all those other food names - grin

The BML LINK:

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 10:42 PM

HOW DO YOU MAKE THE VEGETABLE RELISH????

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 10:50 PM

This is one variation:

VEGETABLE RELISH:

1 - 32 ounce bag of mixed vegetables, defrosted (green beans, sweetcorn, carrots and peas)

4 - fluid ounces of white grape juice

4 - table spoons of honey

Put half of everything into blender and blend until consistency of relish,
do same with other half and mix together.
Freeze in ice cube trays and give 1 cube per glider.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 06/19/07 10:51 PM

This is another:

My Version of VEGETABLE RELISH:

1 - 32 oz mixed vegetables, defrosted (1 cup corn, 2 cup Peas, 1 cup cooked carrots)

1 - 4 oz Gerber Fruit Juice w/ Yogurt.
(w/ added Apple Juice 1/4 cup) - to help w/ thickness

4 - TBSP Honey

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 07/18/07 06:27 PM

BUMP -

I am bumping this thread up for I have been reading a lot of post again concerning SG that will NOT eat their Fruit or Vegetables.... hoping this helps others as it has helped me and my gliders.

They clean their plate every night now - 1 ice cube feeds 2 SG.

.... you can adjust the amount of HONEY used in recipe - less can be done.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 07/18/07 07:50 PM

This is the only way I have been able to get my gliders to eat all their veggies, not just pick out the corn & peas. So 2 thumbs up from me too. I made the fruit smoothie too, but I just used a bag of mixed blackberries, strawberries, raspberries & blueberries, and I think its a little much on the berries. So my next mix will have a better variety.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 09/04/07 07:17 PM

I feed my gliders HPW diet, is there a variation of this relish I can use for my diet for the fruits AND veggies since they don't eat them at all? It needs to have the right Ca:Ph ratio with the HPW stuff I already feed them, any help?

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 09/05/07 09:07 PM

Can you substitute apple jucie instead of white grape juice?
would it make a big difference?
I read this yesterday and went to Wally world today to get the stuff and I guess I didn't read to throughly because I got apple juice instead.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 09/05/07 09:39 PM

I've changed this around many times, and used many different substitutions.

I discovered my gliders like it best when I use my food processor not my blender. So everything is a tiny bit chunky. They also like it "drier", so I add less liquids. I vary the vegetables by using not only frozen veggies, but also vegetable baby food.

I now don't add the corn and peas when mixing, I stir them into the mix at the end so they are whole.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 09/06/07 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Laura_Leigh
Originally Posted By: TracieB
I took those recipes to my vet on one of my visits, and she recommended that I not feed them to my gliders because of the extra honey, juice, etc. She said it was too much added sugar.

That was kinda my thought on it, which is why i don't use any honey in either of the recipes....

I personaly just cut down on the HONEY in the BML Mix - this way I can make the Relish & Smoothie with honey with out worries - it has worked for me for two months so far.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 09/06/07 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: dmbfan41
Can you substitute apple jucie instead of white grape juice?

Yes you can....... I use baby Apple Juice with my Relish & Smoothie.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 11/04/07 05:08 AM

B.U.M.P.

..... for all those Picky Eaters of Fruits & Vegetables.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/02/08 04:13 PM

B.U.M.P.

..... for all those Picky Eaters of Fruits & Vegetables.
Posted By: Darlene

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/02/08 04:57 PM

I feed the HPW. Mine to was picking thru the fruits & veggies. I made both the relish & smoothie the other night. Last night was the second night for using both. I gave 1 ice cube of each per 2 gliders. The first night they had only a little left of the relish & smoothie. Last night they had maybe a nibble or two of each left. Should i put more in for them or leave it at 1 ice cube per the 2 gliders? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/02/08 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Should i put more in for them or leave it at 1 ice cube per the 2 gliders? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would leave it at 1 ice cube per 2 gliders...... this way they are getting the allowed amount with out any food being wasted.

Mine personally clean their plate every night - dance

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/03/08 07:35 AM

Im gonna have to try this my babies hate their veggies.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/25/08 07:41 AM

Hi everyone,
I love to read about the fruit smoothies and vege relish. I have been giving chopped fruits and vege....lots of hardwork! Should try the recipes and let you know whether my suggies love them.

Mother of 5 boys
Slave of 4 gliders
Parents : Sugar and Betty
Joeys : Herbie and grumpy Girly

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/25/08 08:01 AM

Good Luck..... thumb
I am sure your gliders will love it.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/28/08 01:28 PM

Hi,
I did the fruit smoothies 2 days ago and frankly speaking, it's yummy. My suggies cleaned their plates and so did I. grin

I just finished doing the vege relish and will serve them tonite. Hope they enjoy it.

Thanks you all for the recipes. thanks

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/28/08 01:53 PM

Mine aren't all that big on their veggies - how do you make the veggie relish? Maybe they'll like that better. Going to get the ingredients for the fruit smoothie and try that tonight.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/28/08 02:35 PM

Here is the recipe I have for the veggie relish.........(thanks again to whoevers it is)

Veggie Relish

1 – 32 oz bag of mixed vegetables (defrosted)
Birds Eye Classic is best (take out most of the corn)
NO LIMA BEANS NO SALT!

4 fluid ozs of baby white grape juice
4 tablespoons of honey

place half of everything in blender and blend completely, do same for other half and mix together, freeze in ice cube trays and give one cube per glider.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/28/08 02:43 PM

Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow.

Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish - 02/28/08 02:48 PM

Isn't it 1 Tbls per glider? My ice trays come out to 2 Tbls. Guess it depends on which trays you have.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL