GliderCENTRAL

Skins on Foods and Fruits

Posted By: Anonymous

Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 04:35 AM

Would it be better to peel any skins off of any fruits or vegetables fed to gliders. I know most are treated with pesticides and you can wash in a fruit/veggie wash but is the skin still possibly bad for gliders? Is the wash bad for gliders? Any thoughts....?

I'm especially wondering about things like....
baked sweet potato skins or any potato skins
fruit peels(tomato, org, lemon, plum, mango, etc...

Should I only give them the insides?
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: MystikRoze86
Would it be better to peel any skins off of any fruits or vegetables fed to gliders. I know most are treated with pesticides and you can wash in a fruit/veggie wash but is the skin still possibly bad for gliders? Is the wash bad for gliders? Any thoughts....?

I'm especially wondering about things like....
baked sweet potato skins or any potato skins
fruit peels(tomato, org, lemon, plum, mango, etc...

Should I only give them the insides?

To be on the safe side I would remove the skins on all fruits and veggies.

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 04:41 AM

My worry is pesticides on the produce frown , so I peel EVERYTHING! Okay, except grapes. But they are washed very well, frozen, then washed again before serving smile
Posted By: blockamon

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 05:28 AM

I don't bother peeling anything unless it's for convienience (e.g., cantalope, honeydew, etc.). I just wash it, with Fit in the case of things like apples, pears, papaya, etc. In general, gliders don't eat the peals, so I figure that if I get off the readily soluble stuff (in case they lick it), then they should be OK.

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 05:34 AM

My babies wont touch the skins, so it does not really make a difference if I peel them or not.
Posted By: tammyangel

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 05:57 AM

Mine usually leave the outer skin on most things .But I also freeze everything.

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 08:00 AM

I also freeze all my fruit that is given to my gliders..but I have found that when I cut up the grapes the skin just falls off..and I really dont have to work at it..so you might try it..So now my gliders get skined frozen grapes...LOL when we have grapes.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 09:04 AM

The skin to most things are not harmful (in fact many fruits/veggies have a lot of nutrient value in the skin). Generally - if it is something most humans would eat the skin of, than gliders can have the skin too. But do make sure you wash well if you decide not to peal things, because besides pesticides, there are parasites and bacteria on the surface of most produce as well. thumb
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 05:46 PM

Definitely peel mangos! Mango skin has its own harsh chemical like properties. I know a lot of people that can eat mango but break out in a rash if they handle the peel! Some varieties of mango (Turpentines) are harsher than others. I am a Florida native and grew up picking and eating mangos from our yard.

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 06:03 PM

My sugar gliders refuse to eat the skin of anything! So there is no worry for us there.

On a side note, Are grapes okay for sugar gliders? Before I got my babies I read that grapes are harmful, so my babies have never eaten any...

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: insaneglider26
Are grapes okay for sugar gliders? Before I got my babies I read that grapes are harmful, so my babies have never eaten any...

Yes grapes in general are fine. Just not GLOBE grapes. The issue with the grapes was about dogs if my memory serves me correctly. Most glider diets call for grapes. But definately get seedless and NOT GLOBE. Hope that helps.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 08:08 PM

The issue in dogs is for ALL grapes (any kind, as well as any kind of raisin). This is why some people have stopped feeding grapes to gliders, but nothing has been proven, so you have to decide for yourself.

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/23/08 09:05 PM

Gretchen is right the study was all grapes & the adverse affects they were having on liver & Kidneys. But now it has been poven to be so in many animal and even in humans in mass quantites. So the key is moderation. I still give my fuzzbutts about 2 grapes each per week & I feel confident thats ok. Besides They love them!!

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/24/08 03:45 AM

we never have to worry about skins. Thor and Morgana leave the skins on anything we give them. It looks like a buzzsaw has been thru when the eat grapes and stuff with skins, debris everywhere
Posted By: KattyM

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/24/08 05:47 AM

I don't like taking chances so I peel everything, even grapes. They may not eat the skins, but they hold them and lick everything, and I see how dirty they are from the store (even after washing).

Here are a couple of SunCoast articles discussing grapes:

Grape Controversy
Followup on Grapes

Re: Skins on Foods and Fruits - 12/30/08 01:53 AM

I started to peel everything unless it comes from my garden or fruit trees. I never did until my child started having problems. He has adverse reactions to preservatives, artificial colorings, and other things. He can't have the peels unless I know what has been put on them. My gliders don't eat the skins from the store but they usually do on our home grown stuff.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL