Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Diet Talk [Re: LabNGliderMom] #990748
08/13/10 12:48 PM
08/13/10 12:48 PM

C
CoconutRumOj
Unregistered
CoconutRumOj
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: LabNGliderMom
I responded on LGG but am copying/pasting here as well for the benefit of those not on LGG to be able to see my responses:

What is LGG?

Re: Diet Talk [Re: ] #990763
08/13/10 01:25 PM
08/13/10 01:25 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
With all due respect to those that were involved in the diet study jimbo mentioned. There were a lot of problems associated with that study. Only 9 gliders were used. Ages ranging between 4 and 9 months oop. No females were used, no adults or older gliders were used and no breeding gliders were used. It was a very short term study, not one that spanned generations which to me does NOT qualify it as a complete scientific study nor are the findings of that study scientifically reliable. There were too many variables not accounted for. (for example) The gliders were shipped to the location causing stress. Stress is KNOWN to cause medical issues (such as compromised immune systems).

The study was a "good idea" that just was not well executed.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Dancing] #990792
08/13/10 02:05 PM
08/13/10 02:05 PM

N
NaeJ
Unregistered
NaeJ
Unregistered
N

The gliders that I am about to adopt are on Pricilla's diet and it's something I'm going to have to learn how to make. It specifically says to sprinkle the vitamins on top. Does anyone know why they can't be mixed in? It would be easy to mix a scoop in with each ice cube you are making before you freeze it. Although that wouldn't eliminate the concern about one glider getting more of the vitamins than another, it would eliminate the concern about the gliders that don't like the vitamins and try to eat around them...

Re: Diet Talk [Re: ] #990801
08/13/10 02:22 PM
08/13/10 02:22 PM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
With respect Teresa, I think calling the limitations of the test "problems" casts the effort in an unfair light. As long as everyone *knows* what those limitations are (which you have importantly and fairly pointed out, by the way), then they are simply limitations, not problems.

For example, there were good reasons to do this test with only males of a certain age. Other than funding, keeping the gliders of same age proximity and same sex yields more reliable results according the scientist in charge of the study. In other words, the goal was to get the most reliable results by comparing same, not different. Life cycle studies and age studies are a completely different conversation.

As for shipping, most of our customers report their gliders are asleep when they receive them, so I'm not sure there is a lot of stress involved in the shipping, as long as best practices (including the best airlines for animals) are used. The scientist in charge reported no stress or unusual symptoms with the sample.

So, while I think it's accurate to say the test was not a "complete scientific study", it's not accurate to say it had "problems" - it is what it is, a study of 4 - 9 month male gliders, and people can take that and decide if and how it applies to breeders, females, aged gliders, and so forth.

Despite the "narrowness" of the test, it is a scientific test conducted by a well known animal nutritionist and the only one we have of it's kind. So I don't think people should just ignore it, they simply need to understand the context of it.

While we agree that longer term studies would be of benefit, this test is all that is available at this time. We have to start somewhere, right? It just seems wrong for people to be always talking about how there have been "no scientific diet studies" when in fact, there has been, though quite limited in scope.

I wouldn't ignore the results of a similar test with today's popular diets, and perhaps the community would benefit greatly from coming together (again) and getting one done.

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/
Re: Diet Talk [Re: jimbo] #990844
08/13/10 03:49 PM
08/13/10 03:49 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Once again, I will ask that this be taken to a different thread of your own.

I have been asked to ask some questions to get an overall view of different diets, different foods being fed, different opinions and thoughts without trying to make ANYONE feeling right or wrong in what THEY CHOOSE to feed THEIR gliders. Until we are able to do a much DEEPER diet study or until we are able to go capture some gliders in the wild in Australia, use them specifically to see what is INSIDE their stomachs and intestines and learn from that, we will NEVER know exactly what is needed for our babies, so we can just do the best we can.

I for one think that we have come a long way just working together and once this bridge is gapped where we think *our* diet is better than the next out there, we are going to have a hard time going forward.

Now, with that said, PLEASE PEOPLE (and Mods and Admin on GC) can we PLEASE keep this thread about the questions asked.

I am going to go start a new post about the *diet Study* that Jimbo seems to want to talk about.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Diet Talk [Re: ] #990848
08/13/10 03:54 PM
08/13/10 03:54 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
Originally Posted By: CoconutRumOj
Originally Posted By: LabNGliderMom
I responded on LGG but am copying/pasting here as well for the benefit of those not on LGG to be able to see my responses:

What is LGG?

LGG = LAURIE'S GLIDER GAZETTE smile It is another glider forum smile

Originally Posted By: Srlb
Once again, I will ask that this be taken to a different thread of your own. Now, with that said, PLEASE PEOPLE (and Mods and Admin on GC) can we PLEASE keep this thread about the questions asked. I am going to go start a new post about the *diet Study* that Jimbo seems to want to talk about.

You can take it here, Peggy: OTHER DIET QUESTIONS
(If you want to that is smile )

Last edited by LabNGliderMom; 08/13/10 03:57 PM.

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: Diet Talk [Re: LabNGliderMom] #990939
08/13/10 06:22 PM
08/13/10 06:22 PM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
>the *diet Study* that Jimbo seems to want to talk about.

I have not endorsed any diet (go ahead, check the posts).

The survey asked about studies and sources. People referred to the study and asked questions. I posted the link and responded to questions about the study.

Thanks for starting the other thread here:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/990933

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Dancing] #991058
08/13/10 11:08 PM
08/13/10 11:08 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
The gliders were shipped to the location causing stress. Stress is KNOWN to cause medical issues (such as compromised immune systems).

The study was a "good idea" that just was not well executed.

I had forgotten about that Teresa, also, a couple of those glider kids passed away didn't they?

I forgot to mention in my diet that I don't use store bought honey. I get the honey from a bee farm, it is not heated or processed, only filtered enough to get the honeycomb pieces and other bits out.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Diet Talk [Re: hwh4ev] #991138
08/14/10 09:14 AM
08/14/10 09:14 AM

B
Briarthorn
Unregistered
Briarthorn
Unregistered
B

What diet do you have your gliders on and how long have they been on it?

I have had my gliders on teh BML diet since 2004.

Have you had any health issues lately?

I haven't had any issues related to diet ever.

What types of fruits and veggies do you feed with your staple? (for those of you on HPW, BML, Suncoast, Priscillas diet etc...

I give some frozen mixed veggies (the carrot, pea, corn, greenbean mix) with the BML each night. Treats vary. I also sometimes "frost" the BML with applesauce or yogurt if the gliders are getting bored with it (like people I think they get bored with the same thing all the time so I change it up every so often).

What are the plus' and the negatives in different diets in your eyes and why?

The only negative I can think of is that once in awhile the BML will get freezer burn and I have to make a new batch. Also, sometimes it can be tricky finding the yogurt/juice premixed thingys. The BML diet works well for my household personally. It seems easy to me. I just make the stuff once a month, freeze it in covered ice cube trays, and pop one out each night. I add some veggies and viola dinner is served. It's also nice because there is a list of fruits and veggies to follow so I never have to guess when I change things up.

What do YOU all think could be done to IMPROVE the diets that are currently being offered? Or what do you think would make the best diet to offer for the general population?

I think the diets are a personal thing. Different diets work better for different households. I wouldn't suggest anything complicated to the general public because people screw things up that get too complicated but most of the current diets aren't very complicated so that probably isn't an issue.

Re: Diet Talk [Re: ] #991304
08/14/10 04:03 PM
08/14/10 04:03 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I have split off some of the extra conversation and started new threads.

I did not remove the Dierenfeld's study comments because a new thread has already been started and the door was opened in this thread, which is why the conversation started here;
Originally Posted By: Srlb
With all the diets out there do we know how many have been analysed?

Where can you find info like that anyway?

Originally Posted By: Dancing
I don't know of any that have been fully analyzed. There was the "diet study" done a couple of years ago but it was far less "controlled" than it should have been and I personally believe the results are useless.

As has been said several times, for further Dierenfeld study comments/discussion, please refer to this thread

At this point, however, I am asking that any further off topic discussion please be started in another thread. We will not go through and split multiple responses again.

Originally Posted By: GC Rule #3
3. Please keep the posts closely related to the topic. If the topic sparks another thought for discussion, please open a new thread.

thanks

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Diet Talk [Re: sugarlope] #991376
08/14/10 05:52 PM
08/14/10 05:52 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
Thanks, Gretchen - it was getting hard to read the answers to the questions smile

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 545 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,635 TEXAS
679,102 OHIO
487,225 OKLAHOMA
432,221 UTAH
321,741 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024