Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
breeding trios and quads #1055818
01/15/11 11:13 PM
01/15/11 11:13 PM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
I have heard all sorts of opinions on trios and quads. Some have told me they have a high likelihood of failure; others that if put together in a perfect prescribed way it almost always works AND you get less joey rejection (becasue there are 2 moms) as well.

I wanted to take a little survey. Nothing scientific; but a little slice of glider society to give each other a better idea of what makes trios/quads work better. Here is what I have been told is important, so please include it in your reply:

Trio or quad?
Twin girls? If not, ages when the females were introduced?
Ages of male and females when all introduced?
Cage size?
diet including when you added any special "breeding" rations and how many mealies/other insects.

Then let us know about your trio's story/experience. When did you first find joeys ip (mother's age)? Did you ever loose ip joeys (mother's age)? What about any rejections (age it happened)? Also make sure to include all successful joeys (mother's age when first successful joeys were weaned)and anyting else that may be informative that happened.

Thank you to everyone that helps with this! My hope is that it can help anyone putting together a colony to do it in the safest way possible. Feel free to add other questions that you have heard are important to the success of a breeding colony.

wave Meri & :grey: :leu:
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055836
01/15/11 11:41 PM
01/15/11 11:41 PM

A
ageber
Unregistered
ageber
Unregistered
A

we have a trio who have successfully bred and have raised joeys. they are twin mosaic females that we acquired around 6 months old. we added a leucistic male about 3 months later. the male was just about 3 months when we got him. They took to each other right away but were not put together completely for about 3 days. Our cage is a decent size but could be larger. it is 36 high but 60 long and 24 deep.

they are all on the pricilla price diet since we got them. The first time we noticed babies, unfortunately for us 2 out of 3 were dead. One was on our floor and one caught in the bottom cage grating. another was still in the pouch. We don't have an explanation at all. the 3rd baby was raised by the parents and we still have him. The females were just over a year old i think.

the next time one was pregnant the joeys came out on thanksgiving and both are doing great. parents all took care of them.

hope this info helps you

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: ] #1055839
01/15/11 11:49 PM
01/15/11 11:49 PM
NC
C
carolinasuggies Offline
Glider Guardian
carolinasuggies  Offline
Glider Guardian
C

NC
thumb Good question I have never tried a trio but have debated it even got a set of twin girls I was going to try with and I chickened out and wound up getting twin boys to do regular pairs lol

Mommy to my kid's & slave to my suggies

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055856
01/16/11 12:23 AM
01/16/11 12:23 AM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
Originally Posted By: meri
Trio or quad? Trio
Twin girls? If not, ages when the females were introduced? "Twins"
Ages of male and females when all introduced? Girls were around 8 months, male was 4 months older than girls
Cage size? They were in a 260 rept
diet including when you added any special "breeding" rations and how many mealies/other insects. BML diet, including live super worms, yoggies, fruits, veggies, etc

Then let us know about your trio's story/experience. When did you first find joeys ip (mother's age)? Did you ever loose ip joeys (mother's age)? What about any rejections (age it happened)? Also make sure to include all successful joeys (mother's age when first successful joeys were weaned)and anyting else that may be informative that happened. I don't have my records out so I do not remeber exact dates but I do know the girls were over a year old and they both had 2 joeys, 3 WF & a WT... one went "missing" then 2 more, I pulled the 4th joey after hearing "noises" in the sleeping pouch that just didn't sound right (sounded like fighting) but was unsucceful at hand feeding and lost her within 24 hours. (Looking back I wish I had just seperated Eclipse then to let Stardust & Comet raise their joey but I didn't frown )
Before I decided what to do... I notice both girls had joeys ip... Stardust and Eclipse each had a female a month or so apart... (Stardust's joey was first.) They were both succefully raised and adopted. I thought everythign would be ok but After that they did not have any joeys for a while... I suspenct they were pulling them from pouch before i could detect them. Stardust & Comet (male) seemed very close and Eclipse was a "3rd wheel"
Then I noticed Stardust had a joey ip. Stardust & Comet kicked Eclipse out of sleeping area and chased her from food, so for the well being of all, I removed Eclipse. Stardust & Comet are now a successful pair. Eclipse was "retired" from breeding.

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055865
01/16/11 12:35 AM
01/16/11 12:35 AM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Ageber, thank you for sharing your story! Do you think the single joey that survived last time was from the same mother that had twins this time? Or are you not sure who had what?

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055900
01/16/11 02:10 AM
01/16/11 02:10 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
OK, I have had 3 trios, 1 has not bred yet, one has both girls with newly IP joeys. ALL include twin girls.

The trio that failed:
The girls were twins, and the boy was 2 months younger.
I had the girls since birth (from my own pair) and I got the boy at 3 months old.
They took to eachother right away, in the first tent time, 5 min in they all crawled into the same pouch together and they seemed to all get along great.
Both girls put twins IP (I knew right away) and 2 weeks later, they both no longer had joeys IP. At that point I asked several people and the consensus was that they were too young (7.5 months old). So I didn't seperate. Then the girls put more joeys IP a month later. Things seemed to be going well. Then at 4 weeks along, I noticed one joey missing from one of the girls. I was concerned, but I left them together. Then a few days later, the second joey in her pouch was gone, leaving both nipples hanging out. Since we determined that her sister pulled the joeys, and the sister still had twins IP, I pulled the twin w/o joeys and the other girl and the boy have now had their second set of joeys. Also the girl I pulled has joeys with her new beau (Who seems to adore her!).

They are all on the PP diet, extra vitamins for the females and extra mealies. The cage size is 22x36x36

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055909
01/16/11 02:47 AM
01/16/11 02:47 AM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Thank you Kris and Nadine!

Nadine, your newly breeding trio; what ages were the male and females when they were introduced? How old are the famles now?

I hope everything goes better this time!

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055913
01/16/11 03:20 AM
01/16/11 03:20 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
The trio that has joeys IP:

Were introduced when the male was 3 months OOP and the girls were 2 months OOP. The girls are 7 months and JUST put joeys IP.

The other group same thing, boy 3 months, girls 2.5 months.
currently 5 months old.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055919
01/16/11 03:38 AM
01/16/11 03:38 AM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Thank you, Nadine; keep us updated thumb

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055931
01/16/11 06:04 AM
01/16/11 06:04 AM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
Before i start, do know i have a cloud hanging over my head about trios or quads for that matter, and do know the pics are graphic. All my gliders breeding are pair only and i will never risk a trio again for the sake of the joeys and the moms. Others on GC have had some great outcomes, my experience just was not a great one in both instances. I know i am not the only one where trios did not work out even with twin sisters.
I have heard all sorts of opinions on trios and quads. Some have told me they have a high likelihood of failure; others that if put together in a perfect prescribed way it almost always works AND you get less joey rejection (becasue there are 2 moms) as well. I'm not sure i believe the joey rejection is reduced at all by more than one mom , but increased, i'd say atleast double since you have two moms instead of one etc. IMHO

I wanted to take a little survey. Nothing scientific; but a little slice of glider society to give each other a better idea of what makes trios/quads work better. Here is what I have been told is important, so please include it in your reply:

Trio or quad? two trios
Twin girls? If not, ages when the females were introduced? one was twin girls one was a 8-9 week old joey and a 12 week old joey from same breeder introduced to male and each other before shipping. Twin girls introduced to male right away
Ages of male and females when all introduced? answered above
Cage size? approx 3 feet wide by 3 feet deep by 6 feet high for the non-sister trio and a huge hex for the twin sister trio
diet including when you added any special "breeding" rations and how many mealies/other insects. fed the breeding diet of the HPW recipe from the start and fed mealies and superworms as a treat. glideraide 2x per week

Then let us know about your trio's story/experience. When did you first find joeys ip (mother's age)? age of non-sister girls had joey i'd say ip about 6 months old. they each had 1 and it was successful for this breeding, the next breeding they both had two joeys ip and at oop snatched each others' joeys, inverted pouches and caused a serious pouch infection in the slightly older female. Pics attached below. Twin sisters were not having babies at all till after 1 year i noticed one had 2 ip. at day of OOP i couldn't find joeys any where, therefore had been cannabalized. I separated both these trios immediately after these instances.Did you ever loose ip joeys (mother's age)? Answered above. What about any rejections (age it happened)? also answered aboveAlso make sure to include all successful joeys (mother's age when first successful joeys were weaned)and anyting else that may be informative that happened. After separation and introduced the non twin mom that had healed from pouch infection to a different male she became pregant and had a beautiful mosaic and is much less crabby and super sweet now. After twin females separated they both went on to have joeys regularly.

Thank you to everyone that helps with this! My hope is that it can help anyone putting together a colony to do it in the safest way possible. Feel free to add other questions that you have heard are important to the success of a breeding colony.

I am a breeder that does not suggest breeding in trios, let alone quads. Has it been done successfully? yes, but i have seen time and time again situations like mine and joeys being harmed. To me, that is a risk I am unwilling to ever take again after two different instances. Even the non twin pair had a great good set of babies the first time around, but the second time was awful, unexpected, and I felt so bad and could have lost one of the females for sure to it. She had to be put on heavy antibiotics and pain relief. Again i have a major cloud over my head because of this and do not feel the benefits outweigh the risks of doing so for breeding. Of course this is my opinion, but i have seen it happen on both spectrum's of non-sisters, but young, and twin sisters.

Here are pics of the pouch infection as well, as my vet may feel it is possible she may have lost one nipple as too. Now she is recovered, a great mom, calmer and loving. She is also very healthy now that she is healed etc and the vet said she would be just fine to breed as long as she was separated from the other female and healed fine. At the time, only time could tell, but luckily she is ok and is the best mother now. Love her to pieces as well as all of my gliders. The other sister stayed with the original male and has always had two healthy beautiful joeys each time. out of the four joeys the non-twin sisters had the second time breeding , we saved one from the other girl that didn't get the infected pouch as bad, but did get an inverted pouch but not nearly as bad as this i am about to show you.The other three joeys had either been very badly injured and that was the cause of death or had been cannabalized
BTW all of this is my experience, and others will have better ones I am sure, going through what me and my gliders went through though, leaves me knowing and feeling why I do. A quad would be much more likely IMO to not be successful than a trio, and even then there is a lot of risk to trios and I believe only very experienced breeders should attempt them and only with twin sisters IMHO.

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1055942
01/16/11 09:20 AM
01/16/11 09:20 AM

A
ageber
Unregistered
ageber
Unregistered
A

Ageber, thank you for sharing your story! Do you think the single joey that survived last time was from the same mother that had twins this time? Or are you not sure who had what?

My thought was that the baby that survived was from Glider one of the mosaic females and the joeys now are from Diamond for sure. Glider is a mosaic whose coloring is gray, black and white while diamond is a platinum mosaic, mostly white. The baby that survived is gray and black with jet black tail. The new babies are leus, but i saw them actually in diamonds pouch and attached to her. The babies that did not survive initially were one white one and one gray one. This is just a guess on my part though

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056222
01/16/11 09:55 PM
01/16/11 09:55 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
I do a lot of trios now. The reason is this.

Due to our higher protein diets that are HPW based, most males and females, go into estrus much sooner. In the past when I fed BML diet, pairs wouldn't have their first litters until they were a year old or more.

When I first started feeding the HPW type diets, I had a male\female pair that were purchased from the same breeder. She had them on HPW as well. She bonded them together for me around the time the male was weaned, as he was a little younger.

She had her very first litter at 8 months old, which means she got pregnant around 6 months old. Yes. That means we get joeys sooner, but is it really good for them to do this?

Now, I usually choose my females first. If they do not already have a litter-mate sister, I will bond them with another female. I worry about getting a male for them by the time they are 6 or 7 months out of pouch, and then I get a male quite a bit younger, even 8 weeks old, just to ensure the girls don't get pregnant before I want them too.

Almost all my current trios were put together this way and they are successful.

My only failures in the past with trios were actually one with 2 littermate sisters, and the male (who was around the same age), was placed with them early on. I think they got pregnant too early and didn't know what to do.

Other unsuccessful trio I had was two unrelated females and a male all the same age. I introduced them all at the same time and didn't allow time for the girls to really bond first.

The first litters were fine. I think it was because both females had joeys the same time.

Then, the second litter, only one of the females got pregnant and her cage-mate didn't. I came home and saw the female who was not pregnant, sleeping in a toy rather then the cube.

When night time came and the other female and male came out, the one female was attacking the one in the toy.

I didn't understand what was going on. Thinking it may be a territorial issue, I cleaned out a different cage and added the trio back to see what would happen. This time, it was the male who went after the disgraced female.

I separated them and about a month later, saw the female who was still with the male had 2 joeys in pouch.

By the time she did have the joeys, I counted back to when she was actually giving birth to them, and it would have been the same time they had thrown out their other female friend.

I wasn't here to see what had gone on, but I do suspect the female who was chased out may have tried to pull the joeys when the other female was giving birth and the mom wasn't going to stand for it. The female thrown out, hadn't gotten pregnant that time as she never had another litter. It could very well have been a jealousy issue.

Currently, I have 3 adult trios that are all working well and I have 3 others that are not quite ready to be parents, so time will tell if they will work or not. Only one of the young trios have sisters who were raised together. The adult trios do not.

I also retired a male and litter-mate sister trio last year who all did very well together. The girls would take turn caring for all the joeys at some point or another.

They never lost a single joey in 3 years and they retired and went to a pet only home.

I almost think that to make a trio successful, if the females are not already bonded by litter, then you need to bond them together first at least a few months before they meet their man.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 01/16/11 09:56 PM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056232
01/16/11 10:05 PM
01/16/11 10:05 PM
Palmyra, VA
ChrissysGliderz Offline
Glider Guardian
ChrissysGliderz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Palmyra, VA
I have a trio and they have done awesome with NO rejections or cannibalization. They were both younger than the male. However twin girls are best but my girls were not twins. Lacy way a month older than mittens and the breeder I received them from waited until mittens was ready and introduced fully to Lacy before I got them. They are the best mommy's.

Christina

www.SlumberSuggies.com
Email: slumbersuggies@aol.com
Cell:(434)806-9791

:rbridge: Lacy
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056241
01/16/11 10:16 PM
01/16/11 10:16 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
I've never attempted a trio nor a quad (I don' think I would ever do a quad). I just put together twin sisters that were 6 months when I got them with two males; one male was neutered at a young age and the other is intact but significantly younger.. He was 12 weeks when I put him with the girls. They've all been together for 3 months with no breeding activity which is what I wanted; I think its important to give all the gliders significant bonding time with each other before their hormones take over. I'll be letting everyone know how it goes!

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056275
01/16/11 11:20 PM
01/16/11 11:20 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
I forgot to also add that I did try a reverse trio (Male/Nuetered male/female) but the intact male and female would not accept the nuetered male... I think I tried to introduce him to late. The male and female had already sexually matured. I removed the nuetered male and gave up (after months of trying everything) and the male/female pair now have thier first joeys ip.

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056280
01/16/11 11:32 PM
01/16/11 11:32 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
I have a trio that I introduced about a month ago. The girls are twins and were oop in March which makes them 10 months old now, and about 8-9 months when I introduced them to their mate. He was oop in the middle of July and is 6 months oop now and 4-5 months oop when I introduced him to the girls. So far everything has gone great, I have seen them mate, however it doesnt look like they have joeys IP yet. I will keep you posted on their progress.

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Violet, Lavender & Indigo
Amaretto & Bailey
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :plat: :leu:
Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056567
01/17/11 04:11 PM
01/17/11 04:11 PM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Kristy,

Thank you for all the detail. It is helpful; we need to know what can happen. What was the age difference between your twins and their male? Were they introed when the male was 8 weeks?

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056569
01/17/11 04:15 PM
01/17/11 04:15 PM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Chrissy, same question; what were the ages of all the gliders when you introduced the male? How many joeys have they had so far? So happy you are having a great experience!

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056595
01/17/11 05:40 PM
01/17/11 05:40 PM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Danielle,

I am completely fascinated with your method. Maybe I had just not talked to enough people before; but I had always thought that if you did not introduce the male early enough the trio would likely be a disaster and that he had to be younger; but not too much younger. But you not only solved the dilemna of joeys too early vs lonely female; but have maybe come up with a method that makes more successful trios as well? Do a lot of people do this?

I have many questions:

First the littermate sisters that got a male about the same age. What was everybody's age when they were introduced? What happened with them (you said they were unsuccessful)?

What about your successful trio that you just retired? Ages of all when introduced?

Finally your 3 breeding trios at the moment. Ages of females when introed to each other? Ages of male and each female when the male was introed and joey history (how many and when? Any joeys ip or oop lost or suspected lost?).

Lastly; what cage size do you use and what is your treat schedule?

Sorry; that's a lot of questions; but this is very exciting! Trios normally feel to me like an all or nothing gamble; like this will either be the best thing ever for these gliders; who never have to be lonely and/or never have to leave their sister OR it will be their worst nightmare with all sorts of horrific possibilities. It would be so exciting if this gamble could be greatly diminished!

Please, if anyone else has tried this method; please chime in; how has it gone???

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: meri] #1056621
01/17/11 06:28 PM
01/17/11 06:28 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
Kristy,

Thank you for all the detail. It is helpful; we need to know what can happen. What was the age difference between your twins and their male? Were they introed when the male was 8 weeks?

non-twins: were 8 weeks old and 12 weeks old i believe
and the male 8 weeks old barely introduced before shipping

twins about 5-6 months? male about 8-9 weeks old introduced. wink

Re: breeding trios and quads [Re: snowbabygliders] #1057444
01/19/11 11:57 AM
01/19/11 11:57 AM
Palmyra, VA
ChrissysGliderz Offline
Glider Guardian
ChrissysGliderz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Palmyra, VA
Okay I hope I have worded this to where you can understand lol

Mittens was 4 months old and Lacy was 5 months old when Woogie (3 1/2 months) was introduced. Both girls had their first babies when they were a little over 10 months old. So far so good they are on their 4th joey and NO problems PLUS Mitten's has 2 more in pouch now smile

Christina

www.SlumberSuggies.com
Email: slumbersuggies@aol.com
Cell:(434)806-9791

:rbridge: Lacy

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024