Sugar Glider Community Calendar

Please click here to see larger view
Articles
More coming soon!!
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Member Spotlight
Ladymagyver
Ladymagyver
SW Missouri
Posts: 4,142
Joined: October 2014
Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Glider Charm Bracelets
by Michelle_D. 02/26/21 10:13 PM
Swollen Cloaca
by Feather. 02/24/21 07:07 PM
reminder the SGGA2021 coming up
by mechnut450. 02/19/21 08:31 PM
Been a longtime and I'm ready
by Feather. 02/18/21 10:57 PM
Travel cage for chewers
by cuttlefish. 02/18/21 07:50 PM
2021 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/18/21 07:10 PM
Cage accessories
by CChipman. 02/16/21 07:26 AM
Our first babies
by CChipman. 02/15/21 09:14 AM
Freedom Wheel floor stand for Stealth Wheel?
by Ladymagyver. 02/14/21 12:24 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Albino Het? #221231
02/19/07 10:41 PM
02/19/07 10:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Awe, I want a white tip!! By the way, my male is 66% het for albino, can he have an albino baby if he is paired with another 66% het or does it have to be a full albino het, or albino??

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 02/20/07 07:10 AM. Reason: Split post/changed thread title
Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #221560
02/20/07 04:06 PM
02/20/07 04:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



I wish I knew the answer to this one, but honestly, most of the genetics stuff flies right over my head - Maybe Sheila will come explain!

Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #221567
02/20/07 04:18 PM
02/20/07 04:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,748
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,748
80 acres of paradise in KS
I'm not Sheila but...

66% het means simply that there is a 66% chance that the glider carries the gene for that trait. There is 34% chance that the glider does not. Once that glider has had offspring of that color (in this case, albino) then the parent is then considered 100% het. (or proven het)

So, pairing together two 66% hets, you have the chance that they both do carry that gene and that they will pass it on to their offspring.

I THINK that with Albino and Leucistic, both parents must carry the gene for the joeys to express it. (that is for them to be albino or leu.)


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Albino Het? [Re: Dancing] #221582
02/20/07 05:06 PM
02/20/07 05:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 9,173
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 9,173
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Yes, to produce Albino or Leucistic... both parents must pass two copies of these variations to their offspring to produce Albino or Leucistic.

100% Hets of these variations are Standard color. When paired together they can produce White or Albino 25% of the time.

All hets produced from 100% Het Albino or Leucistic breedings have 2/3 of a chance of being 100% Hets for these variations. The other third will not be carriers and will be Standard color.

All Hets are very valuable in a breeding program. They allow for new blood to be introduced into the line so it does not become so tightly bred. On the otherhand... new blood can also introduce an unknown problem that was not in a line to start with.

Re: Albino Het? [Re: Judie] #221613
02/20/07 06:18 PM
02/20/07 06:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Hmmmm..... so what are the chances that my 66% het for albino will produce albino with a 100% het. I'm just curious by the way, I'll probably never get ahold of a 100% het.



Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #221646
02/20/07 07:21 PM
02/20/07 07:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



It all just depends on IF your 66% het is in fact a het or not. Like Dancing said your 66% het has a 34% chance that it is not even a het, but just a gray.

Pairing it with a 100% het rather then a 66% het might help throw an albino faster.

If your 66% het does have a albino baby then your 66% het turns into a 100% het because you know that he produces the gene.

Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #222016
02/21/07 11:56 AM
02/21/07 11:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



OOOOOOoooohh. I see, okay thanks.

Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #222053
02/21/07 12:49 PM
02/21/07 12:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 291
houston, TX
gliderlover Offline
Glider Explorer
gliderlover  Offline
Glider Explorer

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 291
houston, TX
The easiest way to prove if your 66% is a het or not is to pair him with a 100% het. If he is paired with a 66% or other %. It is harder to prove which doesn't carry the gene. Because all hets are either have the gene or they don't have the gene. I have a leu het pair one is 50% het and the other is 100% het. So if I never get a leu then the I know my 50% het doesn't have the gene.


***Courtney*

http://glidercourt.webs.com/

small breeder of whitefaces, whitetips, leucistics, creaminos, albinos, and mosaics
Re: Albino Het? [Re: gliderlover] #227470
03/02/07 10:17 PM
03/02/07 10:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Okay well here is another question. I saw that a 33% het for albino sells higher than a standard grey. Now I'm assuming that the 33% comes from a 66% or 50% het. Is this right? And if so, what happens if you do sell your babies from the 66% and you sell them as 33%, but later you breed with a 100% het for albino and you find that your 66% really is a standard grey. .. . does that mean your ripped all those people off? phew that was a mouthful. I hope ya'll understand my question, I've just been wondering. OOOOOHHHH and can a 100% het for albino have an albino with a standard grey or does it need a het for albino.. . I'm assuming it needs an albino het. . . .

Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #227494
03/02/07 10:47 PM
03/02/07 10:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



bump

Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #227519
03/02/07 11:32 PM
03/02/07 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



You are not ripping people off by charging more. If they are willing to pay more for a 33% het than a gray, they know that they are taking a gamble and only have a 33% chance of the glider carrying the gene. Some breeders do not charge more for joeys that have such a low % rate of being a het. The choice of what to charge is yours. There have been 25% and 33% hets that have proven, so it is possible, but like I said, it is a gamble. If at some point you discover that your possible het is not a het, you would not keep selling the offspring as possible hets and charging more.

Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #227543
03/03/07 12:02 AM
03/03/07 12:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



i have no idea what ether of mine are, all this stuff confuses me confused.

all i know is i want a wierd color one! they are so cute! mlove

Re: Albino Het? [Re: ] #227569
03/03/07 01:16 AM
03/03/07 01:16 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 9,173
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 9,173
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Possible Hets (no matter what the percentages are) should not take much longer to prove out than 100% Het pairings.

The reason I say the above is.... in order for a Possible Het to prove itself.... it must be a 100% Het to start with.

100% pairings usually produce a white or albino.... 1 in 4 breedings. So... Possible Hets if carriers for the Leu or Albino variation should also prove out to be 100% during the same time frame on average.

Last edited by Judie; 03/03/07 01:20 AM.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page



Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 368 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Tran, Maygliders, LuluLola, Ddgilbreath, Mushu_nala
7211 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,195
Posts158,251
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,211
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Glider Charm Bracelets
by Michelle_D. 02/26/21 10:13 PM
reminder the SGGA2021 coming up
by mechnut450. 02/19/21 08:31 PM
Travel cage for chewers
by cuttlefish. 02/18/21 07:50 PM
Been a longtime and I'm ready
by tammyangel. 02/18/21 12:43 PM
Cage accessories
by CChipman. 02/15/21 09:35 AM
Swollen Cloaca
by cookielover. 02/15/21 12:00 AM
Freedom Wheel floor stand for Stealth Wheel?
by mariad3. 02/13/21 04:28 PM
Our first babies
by CChipman. 02/12/21 09:20 PM
Are these humidifiers safe?
by cookielover. 02/09/21 05:50 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
814,590 TEXAS
648,033 OHIO
454,520 OKLAHOMA
403,398 UTAH
297,138 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox



Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2021
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software
(Release build 20180918)
Page Time: 0.041s Queries: 14 (0.013s) Memory: 1.3318 MB (Peak: 1.5479 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2021-03-03 02:42:25 UTC