07/13/10 11:09 AM
07/13/10 11:09 AM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline
Glider Slave

NC, USA
growing up, all i ever saw in people my age was the negative. what y'all mentioned before - pushing anything different aside.
i work with people with special needs. our goal is to teach them how to be more independent, and to have healthier lifestyles. one of the girls i work with, we walk the mall for an hour once or twice a week. we've been doing this for about three months now, and we've made one friend in the mall at a cell phone stand. until yesterday, she was the only one to stop us.
but when we were walking yesterday, there were so many different people neither of us had ever met stopping us to ask how she was doing, if she was wearing me out and making me walk, how long we were walking, etc. and every one of them told her how good she was doing. she had such a GREAT day, it was fabulous. i wish those people knew how much they helped just by being nice.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: xoerikae] #974673
07/13/10 07:22 PM
07/13/10 07:22 PM

S
saraangel
Unregistered
saraangel
Unregistered
S

I am specail need for myself. and I can honestly cant tell you how many and how much of my life had i been made fun off. I could just see that poor baby glider being hurt. I would had explain to the children that it was not right and that they have feeling too and explain how everyone is different and should be love no matter what or how they look or where they came from. I dont even care if it is about people, animals or anything. these children need to learn about this stuffs or they will keep doing it for all their life.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #974862
07/14/10 03:32 AM
07/14/10 03:32 AM

C
Carol
Unregistered
Carol
Unregistered
C

I'M IN A WHEELCHAIR AFTER A STROKE IN 1998. I use a power chair and have a Service Dog with me always. Spud and I do seminars every chance we get, both at schools and adult groups, a few people are rude but most are uncomfortable and don't know what to say, often blurting out very inappropriate things. I see people relax after I've talked for a while, laugh at funny things that have happened, etc. I always close with a question period, telling adults this "is your chance to ask a disabled person any question you've wanted to but were afraid to ask". It's quiet for a while but eventually one brave soul raises a hand, usually starting a very lively discussion. I usually leave with a room full of new friends. Understanding is the key. These special needs gliders are a perfect doorway to kids understanding disability, how special and sweet she is, how strong her will to survive is, how she has learned to cope, etc. Kids will relate to that very well, understand and love her. Don't suffer in silence, explain what happened. I'd love to have her to take to my seminars. She may have a much higher purpose.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #974870
07/14/10 05:56 AM
07/14/10 05:56 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
people make fun of other people because they are ignorant, or afraid, and making fun of someone makes them feel better, or powerful, or in control.

I am alittle hard of hearing, I hear sounds very well, and I will hear some voices, but unless I am facing you I dont make out all the words. if people enunciate properly it helps. but when people slur words or run everything together, i dont always get it. and when I ask them to repeat they speak to me as though I am either stupid or they shout. neither one of which helps. some people have nice clear voices and I hear them fine, other people do not or they mumble (like my hubby) and I feel I am constantly making them repeat,
at work it happens alot as there is alot of background noise, and people will say something to my back and I dont hear them or dont know they are addressing me, and then later I find out they slammed me for being stuck up and ignoring them. so I go to them and say "didnt your mom teach you to say excuse me, ever think I just didnt HEAR you?" or something like that LOL

so I am finally learning sign language. even though I dont NEED it yet, I feel every school should teach it.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: JillMarie] #975284
07/14/10 06:47 PM
07/14/10 06:47 PM

S
saraangel
Unregistered
saraangel
Unregistered
S

Dont feel bad. Im almost fully deaf since i was 3 years old. trust me i know how you feel. my own parents does this to me too even know they know im almost deaf. I can sign but i dont really use it.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #975343
07/14/10 09:11 PM
07/14/10 09:11 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
My hubby likes to ask when we are gonna BBQ the furthings. I know he is just trying to get on my last nerve when he does it. Just like the family calling my calf "Sloppy Joe" her real name is Bella and she IS NOT FOOD. I realized after a few of these issues that I really don't react to much till it does come to my furkids. I guess hubby and family thought any attention was good attention. They have mellowed out since I try to fill that gap they needed filled.

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #975345
07/14/10 09:13 PM
07/14/10 09:13 PM
Kentucky
C
Craby123 Offline
Out of Pouch
Craby123  Offline
Out of Pouch
C

Kentucky
I didn't realize my daughter was almost deaf until the age of four years old, and dylexic. She looks perfectly healthly but people have always accused her of being stuck up and unfriendly because she couldn't hear them. Now she thinks it's an advantage because she doesn't like what most people have to say anyway and can just take out her hearing aids. This is why I enjoy my animals, they don't judge you. I have no place in my life for cruel insenstive people.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Craby123] #975351
07/14/10 09:30 PM
07/14/10 09:30 PM
atkins arkansas
eterrell84 Offline
Glider Addict
eterrell84  Offline
Glider Addict

atkins arkansas
i cant stand the thought of ANYBODY/ANY CREATURE being made fun of. i fight with my husband all the time over our animals .... he will say "your dog just needs to GO already " (my 13 yr old boxer) we also have a 38 yr old autistic/handicapped man who lives with us, as my job... so i know the looks i get in town... i yelled at these two little kids like 3 yrs ago.... they looked at Dean and just stared at him like "whats wrong with YOU"... i said "dont you know its RUDE to stare?"... i shouldnt have, but i get REALLY defensive... always have. i was the one in jhs and hs that always took up for people, even if it meant a fight... ill still do it to this day and im 26. i just cant tolerate it!

~ERIN~ momma to:ceasar(boxer),Chili(pug),Badcat(black cat) and Juliette(ragamuffin)~Apple:grey:and Archer:grey:and George Micheal:grey:Maybe:grey:and Jasper :wfb:,husband Jordan and daughter Azlyn!heart
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Craby123] #979591
07/22/10 06:29 PM
07/22/10 06:29 PM

S
saraangel
Unregistered
saraangel
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Craby123
I didn't realize my daughter was almost deaf until the age of four years old, and dylexic. She looks perfectly healthly but people have always accused her of being stuck up and unfriendly because she couldn't hear them. Now she thinks it's an advantage because she doesn't like what most people have to say anyway and can just take out her hearing aids. This is why I enjoy my animals, they don't judge you. I have no place in my life for cruel insenstive people.

HAHAHAHAHA im 25 yrs old and i still take my hearing aids out when i dont want to listen to anyone. mostly my soon to be husband lmao! smile i had hearing loss since i was 3 years old.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: cyndiekb] #979596
07/22/10 06:39 PM
07/22/10 06:39 PM

S
SouthernGirl
Unregistered
SouthernGirl
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: cyndiekb
My hubby likes to ask when we are gonna BBQ the furthings. I know he is just trying to get on my last nerve when he does it. Just like the family calling my calf "Sloppy Joe" her real name is Bella and she IS NOT FOOD. I realized after a few of these issues that I really don't react to much till it does come to my furkids. I guess hubby and family thought any attention was good attention. They have mellowed out since I try to fill that gap they needed filled.

I confess I used to tease Granny every time I had to clean her koi pond as to when we were gonna have 'koi fellets and frog legs' for supper. She'd go to fussing!

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #989518
08/11/10 12:01 AM
08/11/10 12:01 AM

G
GliderLove13
Unregistered
GliderLove13
Unregistered
G

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets bent out of shape over those comments. I have someone in my office who thinks it would be amusing to throw my Elliot off of the top of his nine story apartment building to "see if he can glide" to the ground.

I told him that if he came within ten feet of my glider I'd rip off his head and $*&( down his neck. I also get the "I bet they taste great" comments.

Like you, my glider is not my pet, he's my kid. He's listed as my "son" on Facebook and has his own page lol. If he ever got sick or became a "special needs" glider, you bet your bottom dollar I'd be the same way.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #991007
08/13/10 07:51 PM
08/13/10 07:51 PM

N
NaeJ
Unregistered
NaeJ
Unregistered
N

I don't know what it is with parents these days. I heard a news story not long ago about some kids in WI who were driving around looking for animals to kill and then they would take pictures of them with their phone and send them to their friends. It was a *contest*! They got points for how horribly mutilated the poor animal was! These kids were in high school. So maybe their "empathy" wasn't fully developed yet, but they were certainly old enough to know better (and yes they were caught). What kind of parent would you have to be for your kid to think that going around and killing peoples' pets, or even wild animals was an ok game to participate in?

Later one of my friends was posting on FB that these kids by where she lived were catching peoples' dogs and cats and setting them on fire while they were still alive. How horrifying!!! (And then they were bragging about it to friends). I think these were older kids (junior/sr in high school maybe). Again, old enough to know better.

People may think that animals don't have feelings, but I believe they do. And just because we may not be able to understand their language, I believe they understand a lot more about us than we may think. I don't think a special needs person OR animal should be made fun of AT ALL! Animals/people that are different are what help to make life interesting, and God created them all special and with a specific purpose in mind.

I think Pica is gorgeous too, and I wouldn't hesitate to love on her given the chance!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 48 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Chrissie, EastTNPride, LisBerta, Inmemoryofwhite, Rileyfinnsfarm
7318 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,352
Posts159,012
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,318
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Hey! Look Whose Birthday it is!
by Feather. 01/23/23 12:30 AM
still around all 10 of us
by mechnut450. 03/15/21 08:01 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
833,181 TEXAS
663,596 OHIO
471,159 OKLAHOMA
419,249 UTAH
310,269 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2023