Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #595668
07/24/08 02:20 AM
07/24/08 02:20 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: ldolor2
If they don't turn brown how do they make the transition to black???
the beetles will transition the colors like that, but not the aliens.

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: BeckiT] #595715
07/24/08 08:29 AM
07/24/08 08:29 AM

T
tigiris1721
Unregistered
tigiris1721
Unregistered
T

i have 32 aliens yeah!!!!! dance
2 beetles in the fridge
1,000 meal worms

i plucked all the aliens yesterday from the mealworm bedding and placed them in thier own drawer.
I have medium aliens and giant aliens.

I know its said that the giant mealworms are steril. But is it only that they dont reproduce much cause some are sterile
(and the fact that not all make it to the beetle stage?)?
If the giant mealworms are not entirely sterile, can't the medium's and the giants reproduce together?

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #595719
07/24/08 08:41 AM
07/24/08 08:41 AM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
How long does it take for the beetles to lay eggs and the eggs to turn into mealworms?

Why do you put beetles in the fridge for?

Last edited by CharmedSuggies; 07/24/08 08:42 AM.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #595721
07/24/08 08:44 AM
07/24/08 08:44 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Your going to see that with the giant mealies that some dont morph right. And the ones that do turn into pupa, alot are going to die as pupa. And the pupa that actually turn into beetles, are HUGE beetles and they dont always look right. Like their wings are strange and always sticking up, and the bodies are still soft and white like the pupa bodies. At least this was my experience with accidently letting a bunch eat until they morphed.

The thing with the giants is they are fed a growth hormone to keep them growing in the mealie phase and that is what keeps them from producing eggs (or VERY little) as a beetle. Or so I read.

So what I got out of this was, those beetles I did get from the giants are going to not produce any eggs but be capable of eating the eggs produced by the regular mealies-beetles I got from exotic nutrition. So I've started putting those beetles into a seperate drawer just in case. smile

Kinue

ISTJ
When it rains, it pours...

www.serenitysugargliders.homestead.com
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: CharmedSuggies] #595722
07/24/08 08:47 AM
07/24/08 08:47 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Originally Posted By: CharmedSuggies
How long does it take for the beetles to lay eggs and the eggs to turn into mealworms?

From the instructions I've read it says about every 2-3 wks you want to put the beetles into a new drawer so the new born mealies/eggs are safe from the beetles and they have the opportunity to grow/finish hatching.

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #595723
07/24/08 08:49 AM
07/24/08 08:49 AM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Thankyou very much Match!

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: CharmedSuggies] #595726
07/24/08 09:02 AM
07/24/08 09:02 AM

T
tigiris1721
Unregistered
tigiris1721
Unregistered
T

Well i moved from previous house to a new house with a rommie. And i couldnt keep meal worms in his fridge. So i keep them in a critter keeper. with no intention of farming. (these were with giant mealworms) when i finally went through the critter keeper.

I found dead (giant) baby mealworms that were half eaten.
So giant mealworms can reproduce.

But i didnt know that the giant beetles would eat the medium beetles eggs!!!!

Last edited by tigiris1721; 07/24/08 09:03 AM.
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #605034
08/05/08 05:03 PM
08/05/08 05:03 PM

T
tigiris1721
Unregistered
tigiris1721
Unregistered
T

I read that i have to take out the beetles after two weeks cause they have eggs in the tray. Then transfer the bettles to another tray. now hat do i do with the empty tray that has the eggs?
do i place a towel and mist the paper. do i leave alone and do nothing and wait for them to start to grow?

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #605061
08/05/08 05:50 PM
08/05/08 05:50 PM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
I would not mist the paper at all in any of the trays/drawers, I would be afraid that would be too risky as far as increasing your chance for mold.

You just leave the tray/draw alone pretty much the eggs hatch and the teenie tiny mealies keep eating and eventually get big enough to see. I do add a papertowel with whatever Im feeding the other drawers (romaine lettuce, celery, etc.) just incase they are big enough to eat that. But my drawer(s) with the babies seem to be doing just fine like that. I just swap out the food item every couple days because that drawer really isn't big enough to eat it yet. smile

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #623799
08/29/08 08:41 AM
08/29/08 08:41 AM

S
Stac2goode
Unregistered
Stac2goode
Unregistered
S

What great info! I had some of this organic cereal,so I used it along with brewer's yeast and powdered skim milk to make bedding. I've got tons of mealies now, but I just wanted to ask everyone if the cereal mixture is okay for the gliders.

Thanks!

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #623801
08/29/08 08:48 AM
08/29/08 08:48 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
My only concern is the need to keep it frozen or refridgerated while not being "cooked". Probably due to the wheat germ in the cereal. Wheat germ spoils at room temp evetually, so it needs to be refridgerated which is why it doesn't make the ideal bedding for mealies.

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #623802
08/29/08 08:53 AM
08/29/08 08:53 AM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Only roasted wheat germ spoils at room temp. The glass jar you buy in the cereal aisle - that's roasted. If you go to a health food store & go to the bulk aisle, you'll find raw wheat germ, this can be stored just like your whole oats - and you don't have the same worries as with the more common, roasted variety. thumb

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #623813
08/29/08 09:09 AM
08/29/08 09:09 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Very true. smile

With your particular product though it recommends storing frozen or refridgerated so that is why I would wonder about its ability to function as a bedding if it needs to be kept cold. Would be worth a call or email perhaps to the company to find out if the wheat germ is roasted or not, since it doesn't say on the product details. smile

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #623827
08/29/08 09:39 AM
08/29/08 09:39 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Okay, I did some research on wheat germ. And here's what I found:

Raw Wheat Germ: Spoils very quickly, very rich in oils and needs to be frozen if not used immediately! Says this must be vacuum packed as soon as extracted from the wheat to prevent oxidization and spoiling from occurring.

Fresh Wheat Germ: Is the same as Raw and spoils very quickly, very rich in oils and should be frozen if not used immediately. Again packaging same as above.

Toasted (Roasted) Wheat Germ: Seems to be the most stable form, usually found in glass jars in the cereal isle at grocery and stays good in jar if unopened for up to a year on the shelf. If opened it must be refrigerated in a tightly sealed container and can be stored this way for up to 9 months.

Most sources say to check often for spoiling by smell, good wheat germ smells like toasted almonds and spoiled germ smells musky.

All very interesting about wheat germ. Didn't know alot of this.

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #672986
11/12/08 02:20 AM
11/12/08 02:20 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Time to bump this thread! thumb

Plus, I have a question. wink I have started a farm, and all my mealies turned quickly into aliens and even more quickly into beetles. I did separate the giants into their own drawer. And as noted, I've found many were "deformed"; mostly, their wings were split funny, showing what looked like their alien bodies. I picked those out and tossed them in the lake for the ducks.

I've so far only had them in regular wheat bran. I get it bulk at Sprouts (69 cents a pound). Whole Foods also has it, but more expensive. I'm going to the store to get the other ingredients for the healthier bedding. smile

Question: When the beetles lay eggs, what do the eggs look like? I had paper towels on the top of the bedding, and the beetles spent the bulk of their time on top of the towels, munching on carrots. There is a lot of reddish/orange granules (no doubt colored from the carrots). Is this beetle poo or eggs? I'm currently storing that stuff from the paper towels in a separate container, but if it's just their waste, I'm tossing it! tounge

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: KattyM] #673012
11/12/08 02:51 AM
11/12/08 02:51 AM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
If I'm correct in my theory then beetle eggs are clear/whitish. If you dump a beetle drawer then you'll find litte "bumps" stuck to the bottom of the container. Those are eggs with bedding stuck to them.

Even if you can't see them, there may be eggs on the paper towel. Just keep it in the "egg" drawer for about a month and then shake off any baby mealies and toss it out. There's no harm leaving it in there. wink That's one reason, however, that I use plastic lids for food, because then I can KNOW if there are eggs on it.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: Guerita135] #673063
11/12/08 08:07 AM
11/12/08 08:07 AM
Canton Tx
Their_mommy Offline
Glider Guardian
Their_mommy  Offline
Glider Guardian

Canton Tx
Wow and gosh, thanks so much for all of this info. I have been raising mealies for about a year now, started with 500, I have so far raised thousands for feeding, but a few months ago I bought some see through plastic boxes with lids from wallyworld and forgot to punch holes in the top of the lid.
I placed about 100 beetles in one of them and placed them with their bedding and potato in the closet in my office, it gets morning light, only to then forget about them as they got covered up in the closet.
When I found the box yesterday, there are still hundreds of beetles and everything is blueish green from mold.
But the beetles are alive and looking for a meal.
I tossed the box a bit and low and behold, the bottom is full of baby mealies.
There are literally thousands of them.
So, I have not fed them, used only oatmeal and powdered rice baby food with 2 slices of sweet potato when I set them up and then forgot about them.
Only to find they did great all by themselves.
So, where does that leave me?
With the moldy stuff I mean.
Can I clean out all the mealies as best I can and raise them for feeding?
What can I do with the beetles since they of course have been eating the moldy stuff.
Can I take all of the beetles out and start over with new bedding?

I have included two pics, one of a new bunch of beetles in an aquarium.(I am running out of space to raise them) and another of one batch of baby mealies that I am raising from a huge batch of beetles that where in one of my bins.
Many have already been fed.

Attached Files
mealie bugs.JPG (20 downloads)
One of my containers of mealies enjoying a meal.
mealies raised.jpg (18 downloads)
Here are some that I have been raising from my beetles. Looking good so far.
Last edited by Their_mommy; 11/12/08 08:08 AM.

As time goes by and my loves pass. I will forever be greatfull for the time we had together. I will see you soon my loves.
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: Their_mommy] #673111
11/12/08 10:23 AM
11/12/08 10:23 AM

T
tigiris1721
Unregistered
tigiris1721
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: Guerita135

Its important not to allow any of the bedding or fruits/vegetables to get moldy! If anything gets moldy then you will have to toss it out along with the entire container of worms/beetles because any bug that ate of the mold can be harmful to your gliders.

wink

Last edited by tigiris1721; 11/12/08 10:24 AM.
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #673391
11/12/08 08:09 PM
11/12/08 08:09 PM
Canton Tx
Their_mommy Offline
Glider Guardian
Their_mommy  Offline
Glider Guardian

Canton Tx
Ok thanks, I did however remove by hand each and every mealie, and beetles from the container.
There are no longer in the container that went bad and I am not going to feed them to the kids, instead will let them reproduce, then toss the beetles out.

It took me over 4 hours to do, I just can't toss them.
I have gotten my 6 drawer walmart thing set up to, funny thing is, I have had it for years, left it sitting in my office empty for over a month and then hubby said he wanted it, but it still sat there for a few weeks, so after reading about using it for the mealie farm, I took it back:)
Now it is set up, beetles in one drawer, saucers with food in one and wet paper towel in the other saucer.
And the baby mealies are in another big drawer. Ready to get good and fat for feeding.
I have also discovered a way to get all of the good mealies out of the aquarium.
I have moistened paper towels and laid them flat on top of the bedding, low and behold there are literally thousands of mealies in the tank.
They are around 1/2 to 3/4 inch long already.
I had removed all of the beetles a few weeks ago and put them in another container for more eggs.
So I am taking the paper towels out, shaking them over a container and then dumping the babies into a drawer with new food and bedding to grow up.
I am so thankful that it was mentioned about using the drawer thing. It will get rid of 5 containers in my office, leaving me room to walk, lol.

As time goes by and my loves pass. I will forever be greatfull for the time we had together. I will see you soon my loves.
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: Their_mommy] #673424
11/12/08 09:18 PM
11/12/08 09:18 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
You really need to toss them out, along with any new baby mealies.

I've been told that aflatoxins, which is what mealies/beetles can get from eating moldy food/bedding, can be passed on to the offspring. So, that would mean that the new, baby mealies, would still have the risk of having aflatoxins.

It may have taken you 4 hours to pick them all out, but it'd be much more of a loss to lose a glider then just 4 hours of labor. frown

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: Guerita135] #673555
11/13/08 03:05 AM
11/13/08 03:05 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Oops. I should have kept all those paper towels. Well, next time. Thanks for the description of the eggs! I guess I can toss my container of beetle poo. tounge

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #689953
12/10/08 10:46 PM
12/10/08 10:46 PM

A
Amber1969
Unregistered
Amber1969
Unregistered
A

we use oats. and they work pretty good. we just grind them up in a coffee grider and then use a metal mesh drawer organizer to sift the worms and beatles out.(found at wal-mart also) it has a little bit bigger holes than a sifter and it allows the bedding to fall through. we use frozen vegetables and they dont mold and last for several days for them to eat on.

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #695724
12/19/08 01:23 AM
12/19/08 01:23 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

OMG! Thank you so much!!!!!!

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: Guerita135] #696183
12/19/08 06:46 PM
12/19/08 06:46 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Would Brewer's Yeast be best, or the higher nutritional value one below it?
http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results....arch=fromSearch

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: princessmegi] #696196
12/19/08 07:31 PM
12/19/08 07:31 PM

T
tigiris1721
Unregistered
tigiris1721
Unregistered
T

Brewers yeast is what is recommended

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #696204
12/19/08 07:40 PM
12/19/08 07:40 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Yes, but Nicole said Brewer's Yeast because it was more nutritional than normal active yeast. The other stuff is better than Brewer's Yeast though, which is why I asked.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: princessmegi] #696236
12/19/08 08:44 PM
12/19/08 08:44 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
They can't use / convert the Active Yeast.

The Brewers Yeast is what they can use for food.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ValkyrieMome] #696480
12/20/08 09:04 AM
12/20/08 09:04 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
The "Nutritional Yeast" and the "Brewers Yeast" seem like they could be used either or. They are not the "Active Dry Yeast" used for baking.

Generally speaking from just a little bit of looking into Nutritional yeast, it is specifically grown to provide extra nutrients (like for vegans). Higher protein content, vitamins, etc. Seems to be good stuff. I might make a little farm and experiment with it as its some-what similar to plain brewers yeast.

Kinue

ISTJ

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #696514
12/20/08 11:53 AM
12/20/08 11:53 AM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Thanks Kinue. I think you're the only one that actually read my post!

Re: How to Farm Mealworms :) [Re: ] #697226
12/21/08 11:03 PM
12/21/08 11:03 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I haven't read this entire thing.. But could someone tell me how to start a breeding colony? Please PM me or write on here.. Please.

Thanks! smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 393 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,597 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,184 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024