Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Glider of the Round Table #1397529
01/12/16 12:08 PM
01/12/16 12:08 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Howdy all! I figured I'd start a journal here about my joys, trials, milestones, & tribulations related to my four gliders. In effect, I this will be a continuation from my introduction here.

I thought I would post much sooner, but to be honest, I really didn't know what to post right away; it was all still so new. I didn't even intend on doing much with the furballs the first couple of nights... but I had only seen two stick their heads out by 2300 that first evening. I tried to look in the pouch, but Merlin would stretch himself across the top of the ball & crab, so I couldn't see anyone else. I ended up taking them into my entry bathroom (a VERY closet sized half-bath)and rolling the pouch back until the ball of fur rolled out. After checking to makes sure they seemed healthy, I figured they were already out, so I let them explore the bathroom a short while while I sat there watching. That has been repeated each evening since for about an hour or until they seem like they've had enough. Then, back to their cage & dinner is served!

Gwynevere is my little dare-devil adventurer. She has been the first out of the pouch, explores EVERYWHERE she can find a way to, climbs highest, jumps the farthest... & was the first to begin using me as her tree (night one!). She likes to team up with Merlin to see what trouble they can cause. Example: The second night they worked together to LIFT one of the food dishes out of its hooks & TOSS is half way across the cage. I was kind-of proud... & realized how much trouble I'm going to be in smile She's also my barker, but not every night (so far).

Merlin is my next most active. He is definitely the alpha of the pouch, climbing on top of the others or coming to check me out each bathroom time before the others even move (besides Gwyn, she's already off). First to crab or bear-up, though has already cut that out for the most part. I can count on him or Gwyn running around the cage after 2200, if not both. Last night he was wanting to nibble on me (not bite) but a quick 'tsssk' stopped that each time. Also likes climbing & jumping quite a bit, frequently trying to figure out how Gwyn got someplace. Likes climbing my head. shakehead

Arthur is my shy one. I'm pretty sure he'll be a cuddler once he's more comfortable with me. He's gone from hiding behind the toilet trying to keep out of sight, to hiding behind me (not touching), to hiding on or against me (but still out of sight). Last night he'd climb on me for a minute or two before moving around to hang off my belt behind my back. He's to a point that he won't not run, but instead hold still to allow me to pet him for a while, though looks scared while I do it (curls up in a small ball, tail wrapped about him & peaking out from under it). Makes popping noises constantly, much more than the others, even when being pet.

Morgana is my timid/scared one. She spends the least amount of time on me, runs from my hands it I try to give her a snack or pet, & won't go back in her pouch if I'm holding it (the other three will no problem). She will at least come near me now, as long as I'm not moving much. She'll climb on to me more frequently than Arthur, but she jumps off immediately. It's really hard to tell her from Merlin in the red light I use during bathroom time, but I think she's going to be a chewer. shock

All but Morgana will let me pick them up briefly. Gwyn will immediately jump from my hand to my torso, Merlin will jump on the closet object (or me if I'm closer), and Arthur will crawl up my arm then down my back. So far, I haven't been bitten (knock on wood). The one attempt was the first time I had them in individual bonding pouches, Merlin was getting really upset & crabbing; when I tried to pet him through the pouch's fabric, I could feel him trying. Both males were cabbing a lot that first time too. Since them, very little crabbing from any of them & only a few nibble attempts on fingers or toes from Merlin.

I'm started them on the SunCoast diet. I've been alternating fruits then veggies & rotating through a selection of proteins. They demolish mealies (any surprise there?) & love blue berries & apples. They cleaned out sweat peas, but didn't seem to care much for raspberries or canned crickets. The fuzzbutts really seem to like the Wholesome Balance cereal; they go to it & the water before their kitchen.

That's all for now. I'll some of the pictures I've taken when I get home or maybe tomorrow. Thanks all for reading & any advise you have.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397530
01/12/16 01:21 PM
01/12/16 01:21 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397535
01/12/16 04:03 PM
01/12/16 04:03 PM
Utah
E
Emiller Offline
Out of Pouch
Emiller  Offline
Out of Pouch
E

Utah
What a beautiful group you have! It's so fun to discover their personalities. It's amazing how different they can be. And I love their names!

~Emily~

Artemis :grey: and Holly :grey:
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397541
01/12/16 06:28 PM
01/12/16 06:28 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Thank you, Emily! I really appreciate your words smile

I had been running late this morning, so I hadn't been able to pull out their kitchen like I'd done every other morning. I was also very late getting home tonight (just one of those days), so I couldn't check it out until about an hour ago. One of the four cups I use to feed them was empty, but the other three seemed barely touched. Last night's food was canned grasshoppers and carrots. Maybe they just do not liked canned bugs?

They were already out of their pouch & running around the cage (at least until I opened the cage door) so no bathroom time tonight. I'm not feeling well anyways, but happy to see them out that early (2100-ish). Once the door was opened, Arthur, Morgana, & Gwynevere went to a high corner away from me. Merlin just kept sitting in one of the cereal bowls attached to the back of the cage watching me while chewing on some wholesome balance.

I pulled the kitchen out to clean it & the food bowls, then refill it. Tonight's menu is sweet peas, apple bits, a raspberry, & a dozen mealies each. All of those (besides the raspberries) have been popular, so I'll see what's left in the morning. I'm trying to figure out their tastes. When I feed them, I sort equal portions into each of the four bowls; I hope it provides a better chance for each to get what they need without risking them fighting over food.

This was the first night I didn't have food waiting for them before they left the pouch to play. It's really cute seeing three pairs of eyes peering over the edge of a hammock at your while placing their kitchen back in their cage. The fourth pair (guess who?) was still peering from one of the cereal bowls around the cage.

I kind-of miss that I won't play with them tonight, even if play is them just using me as a spring board to reach the window ledge, door handle, or toilet lid. How quickly we become enslaved. Oh, well, I need to get some sleep.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397569
01/13/16 04:16 PM
01/13/16 04:16 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Well, it was a bit rougher tonight in our bathroom session.

It started out a little slow (they just wanted to stay piled together), but after I pulled out a feather teaser they became lively. All four were doing a lot of exploring & being less shy of me. Played with the teaser on & off, sometimes leading them around with it, sometimes playing tug'o'war. Eventually they seemed to get bored by it, so I put it up. Through out this, they were letting me pet them without fleeing, though it more that a single finger came at them they would jump away. Still, progress (or so I thought).

Shortly after I put the teaser away the nipping started... & biting! Most surprising to me was Gwynevere was doing most of it! I hadn't even really seen her chewing on things, much less chewing on me! The only one who didn't taste me or my clothing at some point tonight was Arthur. The other three (especially Gwyn) wanted to taste & chomp everything. Even 'tsssk' wasn't being very effecting like what stopped Merlin before.

Tried the teaser again at one point, but they only seemed half-hearted about it compared to before. I didn't give up & continued our playtime until they seemed like they were done with the bathroom like other nights. I didn't want them thinking munching=escape from strange moving tree-thing.

Even now, watching them in their cage, a couple furballs seem to be chewing on a lot of things that I hadn't seen (or maybe just noticed?) before. They're also pulling at the newspaper in the bottom, something else I hadn't seen before. They actually ate all their food last night & there was some cereal left when I tidied up their cage, so I don't think they should be hungrier than previous nights.

I'm not too frustrated, just a little disappointed. Guess I feel like I jinxed myself. I can't say I'm too surprised, I though things were going a little too well. Did the feather teaser just really rile them up?

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397616
01/14/16 04:18 PM
01/14/16 04:18 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Well, I guess we're not having bathroom time tonight. Merlin & Gwyn came out of the pouch a little before 2000, the normal time I put in their food & take them out for play time. I was able to give each of them a treat by hand before they took it to an opposite corner from me to eat. Shortly after, Morgana made her appearance.

With that, I'm entertaining myself watching them play. Everyone but Arthur has found their way out to play & explore. They seem much more interested in chewing on everything around their cage then they have been in previous nights... which I guess it a continuation of yesterday. Is this a normal phase or are some just chewers?

Oh, right before I hit submit, Arthur decides to grace me with his presence... over an hour after the others. Lazy bum, LOL, does he think he's royalty or something? grin

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397622
01/14/16 04:40 PM
01/14/16 04:40 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Love their names!

Do you have any reset toys? Stuff like easter eggs, a breath savers empty puck, tictac box, toothbrush cover, anything you can put a treat in? I made a treat cup out of rubber bracelt thread, milk caps and straws cut up. They love to forage. I also have a small play tire (dog chew toy) I hung on some braided fleece. Mine go for those before they do anything else.(except potty of course)

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397624
01/14/16 04:56 PM
01/14/16 04:56 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Here is a pic I just took of my milkcap rest toy. It was my first one and it uses beads instead of straws as spacers.

Attached Files

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Ladymagyver] #1397627
01/14/16 05:16 PM
01/14/16 05:16 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Dawn,

Thank you smile I like your ideas! I would like to get/make more & your milk cap toy in the picture seems easy enough... going to need to start saving those grin

The only reset toys I have so far are about half a dozen monkeys from a Barrel of Monkeys & a ball pit that has about 100 fuzz balls. I also thread several pieces of cloth through the cage bars & the chain links around their cage. We actually have a bit of a competition going where Merlin & Gwyn see how fast they can get all of that to the cage floor & I see how much harder I can make it for them to accomplish, hehe.

About every other night I've hidden treats around the cage for them to try & find. I'm just about done with an icebreaker mint container that I plan to hide some treats in.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397718
01/16/16 04:03 PM
01/16/16 04:03 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Just a general update & questions:

Their routine seems to have settled to Merlin & Gwyn making an appearance a little before 2100, Morgana coming out a little late (30-60 minutes), & finally Arthur moseying out closer to 2300. They seem to play fairly well into the night, though when I've woken up in the middle of the morning (0300-0400) its generally pretty quite. They must get up sometime again because I frequently see all four when I head to work around 0700. That's also about the time Gywn likes to bark on the mornings she chooses to serenade her cage mates. Usually weekends shakehead

Gwyn & Arthur will take treats from my hand in their cage or during playtime. Sometimes Merlin will during playtime, but not in the cage. Morgana is still nervous whenever my hands come near her, in the cage or out of it. I've tried using SunCoast's bonding potion, but I think that might be what was leading them to bite more. Gwyn still wants to chew on everything she can get her mouth around. She really is my little handful tounge It's also hilarious to watch them steal treats from eat other & how creative they get about it.

Their sleeping pouch is getting quite full. When I dumped them out for playtime, I found 2 large fleece squares, four little strips, the wicker from a treat-hide ball they tore apart, two pom-poms from their ball pit (pretty sure that was Morgana's contribution), & four annoyed looking fuzzbutts. :roflmao2:

They still seem to prefer their cereal over most the nightly fresh food I provide. Sugar peas, apples, blueberries, & mealworms seem to be the most popular offerings. They'll pick at & chew the other items, but not like those four foods. Even if I put yogurt on them. I hope that they'll become less picky. Anyone have suggestions to encourage them to eat a greater variety of fresh food or should I just keep offering & they'll adapt?

All of them are a lot more willing to crawl & jump on me during play time in the bathroom. They also seem more curious about me grin Arthur will let me pet him almost as much as I want, just as long as he's not on me. The rest will let me briefly pet them, but quickly move away. Progress! Still none will sit on me long, though they don't seem to mind curling up against me. I tried doing this in the afternoon when they'd be sleepier, but other than being less hyper, it seemed to go much like the late evening bathroom playtime. I'm guessing more pouch time to help or are they right on track?

Speaking of pouch time & play time, should I do some one-on-one time with each as well as in a group? When I've been wearing the pouches, they each go into their own, but I've always brought all four in to the bathroom. I'm wondering if sometimes focusing on just one might help them bond with me?

Last edited by Hutch; 01/16/16 04:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397723
01/16/16 10:18 PM
01/16/16 10:18 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Hutch
Just a general update & questions:

Their routine seems to have settled to Merlin & Gwyn making an appearance a little before 2100, Morgana coming out a little late (30-60 minutes), & finally Arthur moseying out closer to 2300. They seem to play fairly well into the night, though when I've woken up in the middle of the morning (0300-0400) its generally pretty quite. They must get up sometime again because I frequently see all four when I head to work around 0700. That's also about the time Gywn likes to bark on the mornings she chooses to serenade her cage mates. Usually weekends shakehead

My gliders all get up at different times too.

Gwyn & Arthur will take treats from my hand in their cage or during playtime. Sometimes Merlin will during playtime, but not in the cage. Morgana is still nervous whenever my hands come near her, in the cage or out of it. I've tried using SunCoast's bonding potion, but I think that might be what was leading them to bite more. Gwyn still wants to chew on everything she can get her mouth around. She really is my little handful tounge It's also hilarious to watch them steal treats from eat other & how creative they get about it.

Scrap the bonding potion and wear little squares of fleece in your clothes during the day and put them in their sleeping pouch. It gives them your scent.

Their sleeping pouch is getting quite full. When I dumped them out for playtime, I found 2 large fleece squares, four little strips, the wicker from a treat-hide ball they tore apart, two pom-poms from their ball pit (pretty sure that was Morgana's contribution), & four annoyed looking fuzzbutts. :roflmao2:

Hey! They worked very hard to fill up their sleeping pouch. :rofl2: I dump my pouches back into their toy boxes every morning and they spend all night carrying it all back to the pouch.

They still seem to prefer their cereal over most the nightly fresh food I provide. Sugar peas, apples, blueberries, & mealworms seem to be the most popular offerings. They'll pick at & chew the other items, but not like those four foods. Even if I put yogurt on them. I hope that they'll become less picky. Anyone have suggestions to encourage them to eat a greater variety of fresh food or should I just keep offering & they'll adapt?

Keep offering the veggies and fruit. They will eventually start eating it.

All of them are a lot more willing to crawl & jump on me during play time in the bathroom. They also seem more curious about me grin Arthur will let me pet him almost as much as I want, just as long as he's not on me. The rest will let me briefly pet them, but quickly move away. Progress! Still none will sit on me long, though they don't seem to mind curling up against me. I tried doing this in the afternoon when they'd be sleepier, but other than being less hyper, it seemed to go much like the late evening bathroom playtime. I'm guessing more pouch time to help or are they right on track?

Speaking of pouch time & play time, should I do some one-on-one time with each as well as in a group? When I've been wearing the pouches, they each go into their own, but I've always brought all four in to the bathroom. I'm wondering if sometimes focusing on just one might help them bond with me?

I think you will find that they may play harder with their buddies in there with them, but there is no reason you can't do one on one time with them.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397762
01/17/16 06:29 PM
01/17/16 06:29 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Dawn, I took an idea from your suggestions & wove a bunch of straws through their cage bars... they love it. The furballs will actually come over to watch me weave it, then immediately work together to try & undo it smile It's become a fun new game.

Kimberley, thank you for all your answers, they help me! I've worn some old t-shirts for a couple nights each then cut strips out of them, they seem to like to nest with them. I need to acquire more fleece squares frown The bonding potion was just to try to help with the hand-fear, but it just seems to make them hungry. I'm going to follow your advice & give up on it; I forget it most of the time as it is, probably confuses them.

On other notes, it turns out Gwyn isn't my only barker. I'd just gone upstairs to head for bed when I heard barking... I never hear it this early so, I went back downstairs to see what was up & Morgana was barking in sets of three. I tried talking to her a little bit (sometimes quiets Gwyn down), but she still kept at it. So I offered her a treat.

As normal, she didn't take it. Gwyn came over & snagged it after a moment. I tried to offer another since Morgana was still yapping, but Arthur came over, sniffed it, carefully used his paws to pull it from my fingers... then bit me before I could remove my fingers!! He startled me enough that I jerked away, scaring him in to dropping his treat. Merlin jumped on it, so I guess it didn't go to waste.

Arthur's solution to loosing the treat? He went to Gwyn & unceremoniously pulled hers from her paws. Boy, did I give him the right name tounge Poor Gwyn, she actually looked dejected! I offered her another that she took without hesitation then moved away from him. During this time Morgana stopped barking, so I just let her be.

Arthur is normally so quiet & passive, even with the other gliders. I was floored when I watched him just yank the treat from Gwyn. More than that, he's only once nibbled me & never an outright bite like that; no warning. I guess he's just in a mood tonight or something... or I hope that is all it is frown

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397779
01/18/16 04:43 AM
01/18/16 04:43 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Man, noisiest night yet, they were actually managing to wake me! I frequently wake during the night on my own & occasionally hear them bark as I'm trying to go back to sleep; rare to wake to their barking. I didn't go down to check on them every time, but besides the time I mentioned last post, it was Gwyn when I did look.

I don't give them a treat every time I check on them, I'd say maybe half the time... it makes me feel like it was worth getting out of bed. I'm wondering if maybe that is too often & she thinks she's 'calling' for a treat? Or maybe she just likes that I talk at her for a few minutes. I'll have to give it a couple more nights to see if something was just going on that I couldn't tell. After all, Arthur wasn't acting his normal self either.

Then again, this is only the eleventh night I've had them... maybe this will be what's normal? Only time will reveal... & more sleep...

Merlin is freely taking treats through the bars from me now grin

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397797
01/18/16 05:35 PM
01/18/16 05:35 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Gwynevere decided to be a little turd. She was on the rim of the sink near me & kept looking down trying to line up with my hand & arm that was resting on the floor under the sink. I figured she was setting up for a jump. Arthur took my attention for a moment when he crawled up on me, then I felt something warm & wet on my hand. I look back, Gwyn has turned around & is peeing on my hand! I knew she was going to be my handful! shakehead She tried to make up for it later by grooming my hair for me.

Near the end of the night, Morgana let me pet her for the first time as she curled up against Arthur... Morgana, who had been running at the mere thought of my hands!! :yes:

A little after that, I tried to cuddle Arthur in a piece of fleece against my chest. I gently cupped him in both hands until he stopped squirming, then removed my top hand so he could decide if he wanted to stay. He waited a couple moments, stuck his head out for a few pets, them crawled to my shoulder. He stayed there while before crawling down my back to his usual perch behind me.

I tried the same process with Morgana since she was acting tired while Gwyn/Merlin were still going strong. Like Arthur, when I removed my top hand, she stuck her head out & I gave her a couple pets. Unlike Arthur, she pulled her head back in & went to sleep curled up in my hand with the fleece!! cloud9

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397913
01/20/16 05:25 PM
01/20/16 05:25 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Well, tonight was a bit of a learning experience.

Lesson 1: Even with the wide door, my cage it pretty hard to wipe down... two main doors would've been much better. Maybe then I wouldn't have found out...

Lesson 2: My gliders hate the sound of paper crumpling. I accidentally bumped their pouch waking them when I went to slide their freshly lined try back in. The paper then snagged & they exploded from their pouch at the sound. If I stopped moving it or trying to unsnag it, they stopped & stared. Once I resumed, they started leaping around the cage faster than I could track... Including one right out the door past my face, leading to...

Lesson 3: Gwyn trusts me enough to stay on me when scared... however, not enough she'll come to me or let me pick her up when scared. I had to slowly follow her around until she got someplace where I could control her exit. Towels would not work, she scurried to fast. I eventually figure out that when I got my hands surrounding her, she'd jump to me & stay there, which is when I discovered...

Lesson 4: Once a scared glider finds someplace she feels safe, she does NOT want to leave come hell or high waters... even for the comfort of her cage & colony. It took me a little over an hour to convince Gwyn to go back in to her cage. I'd try every ten minutes or so, then go back to doing chores. Unfortunately, if I made enough noise long enough, she's jump off again (Lesson 3 had to repeated every 15 minutes... I can be a slow learner). I may have been getting a little impatient about the third time, at which point Gwyn decided to teach me the final lesson of my night...

Lesson 5: Don't attempt to encourage a glider someplace she is not interested in going. After the third time she'd abandoned me, I basically put her face to the opening of her cage then tried to use my hand to gently push her off. She went over my hand, climbed up my neck, then bit me hard on the ear.

Class dismissed, time for wine.

Last edited by Hutch; 01/21/16 03:37 AM. Reason: Added picture

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397923
01/21/16 12:06 AM
01/21/16 12:06 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Oh, yea, crumbling paper or scrunching a plastic bag and they move as fast as atoms.

I don't use anything in my drop pans, just wash them out down the garbage disposal.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397952
01/21/16 05:52 PM
01/21/16 05:52 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
So yeah, messed up a bit tonight. I got home late, near their normal wake-up time, but still wanted a little playtime with my babies. So, I took them in to the bathroom to play. Energetic they definitely were, which I expected. I kept encouraging them to jump on me, sometimes they were very willing while other times you'd think I was the devil. Gwyn & Arthur were being very bitey, but I didn't take it to personal because they were chewing on EVERYTHING! *sigh*

Then I thought it was time to get them back to their cage. They did NOT want to go back to their pouch. Even Morgana who became very timid at the end. As fast as I could guide one in, a previous one who jump out. Morgana & Merlin just ran from the pouch, I had to try to catch them frown After about ten minutes, I managed to corral them & take them back to their cage. I was already feeling bad since I doubt they enjoyed the end of the session any more than I did frown

As I was hanging it up, Merlin jumped out, ran up my arm, and out the cage door. He stayed on the cage, but wouldn't let me come near him as the others were starting to explore their cage. I grabbed a fleece blanket, but as soon as it came near him, he was off. I eventually had to pin him (took a few tries, I was terrified to hurting him). When I had him in my hands, I held him against my chest until he calmed a little, them opened the door & let him jump inside. He just sat there with his ears lowered, wouldn't even take a treat cry I thought I felt bad before, but that made me feel horrible.

So yeah, I know I messed up. I think tomorrow I'll let them stay in their cage & just give them a couple treats when they wake & talk to them... take a step back. At least Gwyn seemed her normal self, she actually barked at me when I forgot to give them the usual bedtime treat as I turned off the lights.

Last edited by Hutch; 01/21/16 05:53 PM.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1397954
01/21/16 08:52 PM
01/21/16 08:52 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Hutch hi! Just tagging in. Thanks for the narrative and all the great photos! Following you and your kids. :-)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398511
02/01/16 07:44 AM
02/01/16 07:44 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Alright, been about a week since I updated... for reasons. Between how the last play session went & I got a really bad cold, I thought it would be a good idea to just step back for a while. I've been hanging out near their cage, talking & occasionally singing (don't tell anyone), & spoiling them with treats through the bars. This weekend I reached in to give them the treats on several times. I've also managed to get them to eat some of the foods they weren't as fond of before; a little honey & partially cooking to soften went a long way.

I believe this has been a good thing. All four are generally willing to come to the front & get a treat from me. Also, they don't seem to mind me reaching into their cage. They didn't really flee before, but they would just freeze. Now they either ignore me, actively watch, or come over to see what I'm messing with. I think that's a good point to resume playtime in the bathroom. I do want to also start spending one-on-one time with each, particularly to try & help them learn their names.

In related news, I think I'm going to buy the fleece cage liners that I've seen some of you post about. They enjoy tearing up the news papers too much & really do not like me changing them often. Also considering that I may want to get a different cage or modifying mine. I like the size that I have, but only one large door in the middle of the front makes it hard to reset their toys each night.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398526
02/01/16 06:40 PM
02/01/16 06:40 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
So, I left work late tonight, so I didn't thing I was going to get any playtime. Normally most of the are out of their cage by the time I got home. Turned out Merlin was the only one out of the pouch, but Gwyn was playing peek-a-boo as I put in tonight's food & straightened up their cage. Still, I planned on it being a wash until Gwyn jumped on my arm & scurried up then around to my back.

The next half hour was spent playing 'glider off the back.'

I think the little bugger even decided to take nap on me when I wasn't trying to convince her to get off...

Eventually, I was able to cup her in my hands & hold her to my chest until she settled down... then she was perfectly content to remain in my hand & not leave! cloud9

In the end, I bribed her with a pineapple treat & when she finished it she jumped back into her cage. I will call this a good night.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398574
02/02/16 08:27 PM
02/02/16 08:27 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
clap

Kimberley

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398587
02/03/16 04:45 AM
02/03/16 04:45 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Sometimes its the little things. I am not a morning person (understatement), but these critters have actually found a way to make me smile before my coffee.

Each morning before I load up my backpack for the day, I swing by their cage to see how they're doing since all four are usually still playing. I also take the chance to remove their kitchen from the night's meal. Starting sometime last week, all four will jump to the front of the cage as soon as I enter the room to get a treat from me. Gwyn & Arthur actually chirp as they take it from me smile

This morning I was running a bit behind my normal schedule so I went straight to my backpack. I heard one of them (Gwyn probably) from the other room start barking. I felt like she was saying "Hey! Don't forget us!" hehehe. Made me laugh (& got them their treats).

Last edited by Hutch; 02/03/16 04:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398607
02/03/16 05:48 PM
02/03/16 05:48 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
They are doing a very good job of training you.

Kimberley

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398725
02/07/16 07:38 AM
02/07/16 07:38 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Okay, slight panic attack over for the moment: Here I am sitting with my feet on a container I keep some game pieces in, when I hear what sounds like a scuffling inside. I'm thinking 'I haven't moved this thing in a week, how could the pieces be selling still?

So, I open it up & what do I see? Arthur, my royal pain-in-the-rear-end, hiding under some larger miniatures trying not to be noticed!! Luckily the container made him easy to corral; he was not wanting to be picked up. Once I had him, I found their large fleece blanket, wrapped him in it, then cuddled him to my chest to calm down.

Then it hits me: if he got out... I open the cage, check their normal pouch, & feel them in there. To be safe, I take it to our play bathroom & look inside to see Gywn & Morgana peering back out at me... Only Gwyn & Morgana! I give them each of couple pets to let them know everything is okay, then reach around them to see if Merlin is hiding under the ladies. Nope, not that lucky. I show Arthur the girls & he crawls right in for all three to be returned to their cage.

Before my heart stops completely, I check their other pouches & toys... where I find Merlin sleeping alone. *PHEW!*

Now all I need is to figure out how his royal heinie-ness got out of the cage. The doors were still closed & latched, all corners & attachment joints still connected, the tray in place... I'm stumped. I know all four were still in there when I got up around 0200 for some water & gave them treats.

Children, I swear!

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398731
02/07/16 10:26 PM
02/07/16 10:26 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Glad you found him.

I would start keeping your toilet seat down and don't let any water stand in the sinks or tub. They have even been known to crawl into a gallon jug so keep things closed tight.

Kimberley

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398761
02/09/16 07:48 AM
02/09/16 07:48 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Arthur you little...

Last night I was awoke around 0200 to what sounded like plastic being chewed. I sit up, turn on the light, & see a white glider butt fleeing my bedroom (BTW, their cage is downstairs from my room). So, I try to quietly walk out after him & play keep away, or escape if I caught him, for about another ten or fifteen minutes.

After I get him back inside I again look for ANYWHERE he could have gotten out. My only guess is maybe he pushed on the door to create space near the flimsy side, so I twist a bunch as straws around the bars to stop-up that gap.

A couple hours later, I hear a chorus of frantic barking. Not just the usual one voice at a time I'm use to, several are going to town. I go to look & there is Arthur AGAIN just sitting in the middle of the dining room *facepalm* He was a little easier to catch this time & a firmer grip kept him from escaping until I got him to the cage... where I see all the straws are still intact, wrapping from the door to the cage & back. Took a little while to unwrap them & he him back inside where is head straight for a pouch. At this point, & early hour, I have no clue what else to try, so I pray his adventures have tired him out & go back to sleep.

Until around 0500, that is, when the critters start barking crazy again. Fearing what that meant, downstairs I go & almost step on Arthur as he is trotting out of the living room. I scoop him up before I can go very far (this time he's crabbing like a mad man), place him in a bonding pouch, the take him back upstairs with me. He was NOT happy about that & spent the next hour crabbing, clawing, & chewing on the pouch before I finally get tired of him keeping me up & return him to the cage. Grrrr...

When I head to work only a couple hours later, I just have to look. I was only able to see two in their sleeping pouch (my heart might serve me 30-days notice at this rate), so out the pouch comes & I feel inside. Four warm bodies *phew*

At which point Morgana decides "Oh, this must be playtime!!" Out the pouch, up my arm, & down my shirt. 10 minutes of chasing her around my clothing & getting completely clawed up (so, yeah, time to trim some nails) I cram her back into the pouch, clip that back inside the cage as she's STILL trying to get around my hand & up my arm, them slam the cage door closed before she reaches it.

After I treat all the deep scratches she left me from not wanting to get off me (rubbing alcohol is almost as effective as coffee first this in the morning... almost), I rush out forgetting my lunch & gym clothes to arrive 15 minutes late for work.

I really need a new cage.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398763
02/09/16 08:06 AM
02/09/16 08:06 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Just spitballing here...but..

Check and see if he is able to push the catch tray at all. Some cages end up with a gap if they can move the catch tray...
Might be time for a webcam :-)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: TwoDog] #1398764
02/09/16 08:57 AM
02/09/16 08:57 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
Just spitballing here...but..

Check and see if he is able to push the catch tray at all. Some cages end up with a gap if they can move the catch tray...
Might be time for a webcam :-)

I appreciate the suggestion ComradeFluffy. I wondered about that as well the first time he escaped. There is a lot of overlap where the grab portion of the tray meets the side of the cage, so I thought it seemed unlikely. It's also been completely closed when I've looked. Having said those things, I don't have any better idea since it apparently wasn't the door, maybe I'll ziptie that seem tonight.

I was debating on replacing my cage anyways because of the single door. I think this just made the decision & sped up the when for me. In spite of that, you're probably on to something, time for a nightcam. I think you can also set them to record motion in case I need to look back (like how a certain glider keeps getting out).

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398786
02/09/16 06:21 PM
02/09/16 06:21 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
So my temporary solution was to buy a new, smaller cage, a good thing since Arthur was out when I got home tant

It's construction is slightly better than my last one, but still a little flimsy. I zip-tied the crap out of the two side doors & I tied straws around the main door once I had them inside. I also removed the lower catch pans since the inner floor lifts easily & taped blocks in place over the openings.

Already they're running all over the cage exploring it & playing with the little I set up. I'm actually taking mental notes of things THEY like about this one since (knock on wood) I will have enough time to look around for something optimal as a full size replacement.

Only real downside of tonight is that Morgana did not, in any way shape or form, want to come out of the old cage... I had to catch her. She'll never get over being hand shy at this rate cry I doubt Arthur is much better after all his escapes.

At least Gwyn seems to be warming up to me, she actively tries to get to my shoulder to sit... even if she is still a little to fond of the taste of my fingers.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398789
02/09/16 07:23 PM
02/09/16 07:23 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
These furballs seem intent on preventing sleep for me. So far, they've taken turns each barking their heads off until i turn on a light, tipped over the wheel twice (once trapping Merlin inside), & three times have brought a piece of fleece over to their bananas & crickets to cover it up.

I've wrapped the cage in red lights to see if it quite them down. Then I used the c-clips to anchor the wheel in three directions. Lastly, I took all the fleece they keep nodding down & put it on the roof with only a small corning poking through.

I think I figured out (at least partly) how Arthur was getting out. While all this was going on, he was moving around the cage, grabbing the bars in his teeth, then using the leverage of his how body to pull... the little s***. I would wish him luck, but really I'm rooting for his failure.

Now, a beer & sleepy pill for the paranoid owner... sleep, my precious, theys wants you for themselv-es, they do, but can not have the precious, the precious is for me.... zzz... zzz... sleep

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024