Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need RV Travel Tips #1421367
09/27/19 12:33 AM
09/27/19 12:33 AM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline OP
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Ada OK
We are planning an extended trip of at least a couple of weeks. Plan on having the gliders (4) and 4 small dogs. I am nervous about the gliders not getting stressed.
They will have their Critterlove and freeze dried food, their tent, and a 3' x 18" x 3' travel home for the 4. I also will have wheels, toys etc. However, I am nervous about the level of stress the trip will put on the gliders and we have a slide so nervous about letting them out at all.
Ideas and suggestions are welcome. The trip will be in October so should have cooler weather.
I should add this will be in a self contained RV with one slide so no hotels etc.

Last edited by Claralice; 09/27/19 12:35 AM.

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Need RV Travel Tips [Re: Claralice] #1421368
09/27/19 05:43 AM
09/27/19 05:43 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I had to do a little research on some old posts myself to remember things that I do automatically, or from a newby (to RVing with fuzzbutts) perspective.

We travel with work and can spend up to 9 months a year traveling with our 5th wheel and gliders.(we are currently in SC in the 5th wheel).

So here are some pointers. Not in any specific order.

New travel cage:
set it up now and let the gliders play mark it and get used to it's smells. Look at the cage and see how easy it will be to clean potty, poo and food mess. Due to the confines of an RV, it may need to be cleaned daily or every other day.

If they will be traveling in this cage while RV is in motion, be sure the cage is fastened and secure. Take out or tie down heavy articles inside cage while moving.

Acclimating gliders to travel:
take them on a half day trip in a bonding bag several times to get them used to different smells and sounds. Be sure to pack with them some apple slices in the bonding bag. Keep them out of direct sunlight.

- Are the 4 dogs currently part of your household? If so, that's a good thing. Half of that issue solved.

- Is the RV where you can allow the gliders to visit it and they can get used to how it smells while they are in the bonding bag?

Packing for the trip:

You will need to take their bedding and pouch that has their scent on it for their first few nights. Remember they are "scent oriented". You will also need some 4x4" fleece squares with your scent on them and change them out every few days so they know you are there among all the other scents of close quarters.

RV safety and slideout concerns:

If this is a class A motorhome, keep in mind the cockpit area is off limits. They can get under the dash and make their way out of the vehicle or chew on the wires. All cupboard doors and drawers need to stay shut at night in case there is a "breakout " of the travel cage. Normally, they will seek you out first, but along the way will be somewhat curious.

- are the dogs accustomed to the gliders? Do they react or get excited or upset when they see the gliders? What breed of dogs will be traveling? Will the dogs be crated or behind a secure door at night?

There are all kinds of outlets/ holes to the outside world in an RV to consider. Let alone cubby holes that lead into other compartments. Plumbing, shore power, furnace vents. Engine cover or fire wall to engine compartment, on board generator, stove to propane tank holes... Now don't get scared or paranoid on me, I'm trying to prepare you for the worst case scenarios. And also give you a perspective on the opportunities of what a glider sees and smells.

Slideout... That's kinda tough to judge from my perspective. A motor coach is sealed when closed, and fully extended. Gliders love to climb so run your hands around the slideout to make sure there are no big gaps. If you find any, stuff it with a towel, but don't make a bigger hole. My concerns are the furniture and them getting in or under them.

Supervised tent time for extra exercise is the best option. Especially for a colony of 4.

Ok, I've given you a lot of info and questions. I'm sure I left something out, but will add later. Don't be too scared to take them, just be aware of your surroundings.

Please ask more questions.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Need RV Travel Tips [Re: Claralice] #1421371
09/27/19 05:06 PM
09/27/19 05:06 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline OP
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Ada OK
I love the idea of short trips. I have taken them out fairly frequently in pouch.
The dogs are a Maltese, a Bichon, and two Shih Tzu's. All have been around the gliders and that is easy.
However, I am concerned about the closed in size. It is cozy and sleeps 4. The dogs are all accustomed to sleeping with us.
The cage is wire and about 3 feet high. I plan to lock it on the top bunk over the cab. It is solid and heavy duty with good latch.
I worry about the motion and thought only fleece and a wheel-no toys to bump? Then use the tent for toys, etc. The dogs are accustomed to the gliders with the exception of our 5 month old shih Tzu. Cici is still learning to not bark at them or try to bother /play with them. The others do fine.
Scent wise should be no big deal as I have tons of cage sets and the RV is here. I was worried they would somehow get in the slide either when opening or closing but they will not be allowed to roam the RV-I dont feel its safe for them. The top bunk temp stays pretty steady warm-not hot so I think that is the best place.
THANK YOU for the great information!

Re: Need RV Travel Tips [Re: Claralice] #1421376
09/29/19 09:00 AM
09/29/19 09:00 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
So I find while traveling on very long trips, mine do better when their sleeping pouch is on the forward moving side (front of vehicle) of the cage. So when there are sudden stops, they are already supported by the cage itself. Take offs of the vehicle aren't as sudden. (Unless you're gonna dragrace. I would recommend all humans and animals except for the driver to exit the vehicle for this. and then I want a video of said race. Lol!) The pouch will swing only a bit on take off at the most.

So to imitate this movement in a car, hang the bonding pouch over the front seat headrest with pouch hanging towards the backseat. In a car, with a bonding pouch is the only real place gliders should ride safely. Depending on the recline angle of the front seat.

As far as temperature on the topside, keep in mind warm air rises. I would lower their sleeping pouch close to the bottom of their cage and put some seedless grapes cut in half in the pouch with them also if this is where they will ride. Keep in mind during stops before your destinations like fuel stops, human potty breaks, lunch etc, the camper will heat up quickly. And also keep in mind about where the vapors of gasoline goes while refueling.

Again, just things to think about along with worst case scenarios. Better to be aware and safe, than sorry.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 09/29/19 09:04 AM. Reason: Proof reading

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Need RV Travel Tips [Re: Claralice] #1421393
09/30/19 07:33 PM
09/30/19 07:33 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline OP
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Ada OK
Ours is a self contained RV. Dont know the class but Ford cab and I am sure they could get under the dash and out!
I want to make sure I understand. You are saying that they should be in bonding pouches while traveling or have the cage set up with the fleece sleeping pouch at the back of the cage for breaking, etc?

Re: Need RV Travel Tips [Re: Claralice] #1421395
09/30/19 10:45 PM
09/30/19 10:45 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Not necessarily. Yours is a class C motorhome with a Ford cab and chassis. They should be fine in the cage as long as it's latched down and secure.

The reference to the bonding pouch was how the pouch moves with motion.

We have a fifth wheel and the gliders are in small travel cages seat belted in the back seat of the truck.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 421 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,161 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,690 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024