Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Native plants/sugar glider food? #1424042
10/04/22 05:22 PM
10/04/22 05:22 PM
Florida
Animalfan Offline OP
Animalfan  Offline OP

Florida
Hi! I have sugar gliders now… (only specified that if anyone scoured my profile to look at previous posts… anyways-) and I was thinking about getting some native plants for them for enrichment…

I found a eucalyptus golobus plant for sale on Etsy
I also found a “ Banksia spinulosa ‘Schnapper Point’” plant on there… I think that’s good?
I’m not 100% sure what kind of acacia is best- I think Acacia mearnsii is good? But idk where to find a plant of it for sale…?

I’m not sure what kind of bugs exactly they eat in the wild- or if there’s a place to get some that are captive bred without having to worry about pesticides or parasites..? 😛

I’m not completely sure what kind of fruits exactly they eat in the wild?

Manna, honeydew, and lerp are probably pretty difficult to provide in captivity…

What kind of fungi do they snack on in the wild-?

I’m not asking these questions to replace their staple diet. I feed them OHPW with CLO salads… I’m asking because I think it’d be beneficial for them to have access to some native plants 😅

Any ideas on if it’d be better to grow the plants indoors to lessen the amount of bugs on them? Or outside for better growing conditions-? Or ‘sugar glider native habitat plants growing conditions’ advice in general? 😅

Or if anyone knows more than me on the subject just any advice on this in general-?

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated…

Thanks!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Native plants/sugar glider food? [Re: Animalfan] #1424043
10/04/22 08:35 PM
10/04/22 08:35 PM
Florida
Animalfan Offline OP
Animalfan  Offline OP

Florida

Re: Native plants/sugar glider food? [Re: Animalfan] #1424044
10/04/22 08:48 PM
10/04/22 08:48 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Animalfan
Hi! I have sugar gliders now… (only specified that if anyone scoured my profile to look at previous posts… anyways-) and I was thinking about getting some native plants for them for enrichment…

I found a eucalyptus golobus plant for sale on Etsy You need to be careful with Eucalyptus, some are ornamental and not safe for gliders. There is a place in California that grows safe eucalyptus for gliders. You should be able to find an post about it in GliderCENTRAL.
I also found a “ Banksia spinulosa ‘Schnapper Point’” plant on there… I think that’s good?
I’m not 100% sure what kind of acacia is best- I think Acacia mearnsii is good? But idk where to find a plant of it for sale…? Most people put corkbark in their cages for enrichment. Keep in mine that any wood put in the cage will start to smell from the gliders peeing on it.

I’m not sure what kind of bugs exactly they eat in the wild- or if there’s a place to get some that are captive bred without having to worry about pesticides or parasites..? 😛 Remember these are captive bred gliders the only bugs recommended to feed come from a grower like Rainbow mealworms. The only safe hornworms are from the pet store. No outdoor bugs are safe and could harbor parasites.

I’m not completely sure what kind of fruits exactly they eat in the wild?

Manna, honeydew, and lerp are probably pretty difficult to provide in captivity…

What kind of fungi do they snack on in the wild-?

I’m not asking these questions to replace their staple diet. I feed them OHPW with CLO salads… I’m asking because I think it’d be beneficial for them to have access to some native plants 😅 I would stick with their staple diet. You can add the white button mushrooms from the grocery store. Any other mushrooms are not safe.

Any ideas on if it’d be better to grow the plants indoors to lessen the amount of bugs on them? Or outside for better growing conditions-? Or ‘sugar glider native habitat plants growing conditions’ advice in general? 😅

Or if anyone knows more than me on the subject just any advice on this in general-?

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated…
I would get them foraging toys and hide mealworms for them to forage. I would get a popup tent for you to play with them, use cat feather toys with no catnip. They will chase it and hunt it just like a cat.

I don't give bugs and only use grapes, scrambled eggs as treats. My gliders use their wheels and little hidaways to play. They don't need plants to be happy.

Thanks!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Native plants/sugar glider food? [Re: Feather] #1424045
10/04/22 09:33 PM
10/04/22 09:33 PM
Florida
Animalfan Offline OP
Animalfan  Offline OP

Florida
Thank you for the reply!

“ You need to be careful with Eucalyptus, some are ornamental and not safe for gliders. There is a place in California that grows safe eucalyptus for gliders. You should be able to find an post about it in GliderCENTRAL.[/color] “

I know… that’s why I’m sticking to eucalyptus golobus (blue gum)- I know that some people get that variety for their gliders from places like http://eucproducts.com/ and that it’s safe- so I’m sticking with golobus/blue gum unless if I get confirmation that another variety is also safe- thanks for the warning though! (And I will look for that…)

“ Most people put corkbark in their cages for enrichment. Keep in mine that any wood put in the cage will start to smell from the gliders peeing on it. [/color] ”

I know- definitely plan on getting some cork bark. I just think that giving our captive gliders (safe) plants they’d encounter in the wild would be fun and enriching for them… and so I’d like to buy the plants in case I can grow some for them- I prefer an already growing plant over seeds because I have better luck with those- I just need to make sure that whichever plants that I get them are safe…

“ Remember these are captive bred gliders the only bugs recommended to feed come from a grower like Rainbow mealworms. The only safe hornworms are from the pet store. No outdoor bugs are safe and could harbor parasites. [/color] “

I have mealworms for them (as treats) already… and that’s why I mentioned captive bred without the worry of pesticides or parasites… because I know of the dangers that come with wild caught and want to avoid them. I was just curious if anyone knew of anyone that breeds the bugs they eat in the wild in captivity for more enrichment..? And what those bugs were

“ I would stick with their staple diet. You can add the white button mushrooms from the grocery store. Any other mushrooms are not safe. [/color] “

I agree, I definitely plan on sticking with the staple diet first and foremost unless if an extreme situation occurs… this would just be like more cage enrichment and “treats”

I would get them foraging toys and hide mealworms for them to forage. I would get a popup tent for you to play with them, use cat feather toys with no catnip. They will chase it and hunt it just like a cat. “

Thanks for the advice-! I still would like more information on wild plants and diet and stuff if anyone has it… (again, not to replace the staple- as enrichment and as a treat…)

“ I don't give bugs and only use grapes, scrambled eggs as treats. My gliders use their wheels and little hidaways to play. They don't need plants to be happy.

I rarely give treats- but I still give them ofc- I don’t doubt that a sugar glider can be happy without, it’s just something I’d like to provide mine…

Re: Native plants/sugar glider food? [Re: Animalfan] #1424046
10/07/22 05:35 PM
10/07/22 05:35 PM
Florida
Animalfan Offline OP
Animalfan  Offline OP

Florida
Does anyone know any information on the subject..?

Re: Native plants/sugar glider food? [Re: Animalfan] #1424047
10/07/22 05:37 PM
10/07/22 05:37 PM
Florida
Animalfan Offline OP
Animalfan  Offline OP

Florida
Sorry… I got an Etsy gift card for my birthday and I’m trying to figure out how to spend it… and I thought getting them some native plants would be cool…

Re: Native plants/sugar glider food? [Re: Animalfan] #1424050
10/15/22 12:48 AM
10/15/22 12:48 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I have never considered plants for my gliders, gliders in the US have been raised here for over 30 years. They wouldn't really know what a native plant was.

Check out Shelly Sterk's website at Glidernursery.com for a list of safe plants and flowers.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024