Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
something horrible happened #210399
01/31/07 11:04 AM
01/31/07 11:04 AM
NY
kati Offline OP
Glider Guardian
kati  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

NY
I know i haven't posted here in a long time, but i'm hoping telling my story might ease my mind slightly.

Something horrible happened to one of my favorite gliders. Cujo was orphaned when he was young and handraised by Judie (i'm so sorry judie....) not only was he one of my sweetest gliders, he was a beautiful white faced blonde.

What makes it 10X worse is cujo did not die of natural causes, he died a violent horrible death, I just hope his heart stopped beating early on... When i found him something had dragged his body 70% out of the cage. The bars on my cages are about 1/2", and it appeared his body had been dragged between three of them. His ribs were exposed (some on the inside of the cage, some on the outside) and something had eaten his insides. Most of his fur had been ripped out. At first i did not know which of the three gliders in that cage it was, and i honestly hoped it was any one but cujo (i know that is probably wrong, but i couldn't help it) But his beautiful face was still intact, and i could see it was cujo. The worst part was i had to cut his body in half with scissors to get him out.

What could have done something so horrible? I have never lost a glider untill about a month ago, when a petite glider just dissapeared from his cage. I dont know how he got out, because all the doors on his cage were closed and his mate was still inside. I looked for him and left food out for two weeks untill i assumed he had gotten out of my house. The only thing i can think of is he didnt leave my house and was hungry enough to rip cujo from his cage. I don't even know if a glider is strong enough to do something like that. It looked almost supernatural. Whatever it was it had to have been able to reach between the 1/2" bars. I also think if it was something larger it would have eaten all of him, not just his insides. There is a squirrel that lives in my attic but i dont think a squirrel would do that. I don't have any cats and my little maltese has never even wanted to go into my sugar glider room. Two days ago i cleaned out my entire sugar glider room, and saw nothing abnormal. Cujo watched me the whole time i cleaned, and i took him out for a little while but then he peed on me so i put him back :/ i wish i kept him out longer.

I have not been able to think about anything else. I couldn't go to sleep last night even though my body was exhausted my mind was racing. In the fall i had a stroke of pretty bad luck, and lost my pomeranian to paralysis (even though she was only 6), my dama wallaby died of a bacterial infection, and my bennett's wallaby escaped the new fencing i put up and got hit by a car. Since then i've had repetitive dreams of them still being alive. Last night i had a dream i found cujo badly injured but took him to a vet and he lived. It's only the first night i've been without him and i know there will be many more dreams to come. It makes waking up painful. The only downfall to keeping pets is that they are destined to die before you, and it rips out your heart when they do.

Whatever did that to cujo is still out there, and i fear for the lives of my other gliders. Tonight i'm setting out three have a heart traps in three different sizes. I just hope i can catch whatever did this before it claims another life.

Last edited by kati; 01/31/07 11:09 AM.
Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210401
01/31/07 11:09 AM
01/31/07 11:09 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Oh no Kati, how horrible!! I am SO sorry!!

Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210405
01/31/07 11:13 AM
01/31/07 11:13 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Oh, Kati! I'm so so sorry.

Yes, a squirrel could, and more importantly, would do this sort of thing. They are rodents -- rats with fluffy tails. It is absolutely something a rat would do. (I just had an instance of rat canabalism - 2 adults. I'll spare you the details ...) I also had a pet grey squirrel, so I know for certain, in many ways, their instincts are just like rats.

I can't imagine that a glider petite enough to get thru your cage bars would be strong enough to rip Cujo out like that. But I can't imagine, either, why Cujo would just take it - he must have been curious about what was on the other side, and that was his downfall.

Please set out the traps. I have chills thinking about your other gliders. Oh, poor poor Cujo!

I'm so sorry.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: something horrible happened [Re: BeckiT] #210407
01/31/07 11:14 AM
01/31/07 11:14 AM
Parsons, Kansas
dranger1108 Offline
Glider Addict
dranger1108  Offline
Glider Addict

Parsons, Kansas
How terrible, I'm so sorry that happened to your beloved glider, hope that you find the creature that killed your glider...
((hugs))

:grey: Michelle's Sugar Glider Babies & Toys :wfb:
USDA licensed breeder
http://www.freewebs.com/michellesugarbabytoys/index.htm
Neat glider themed products!
:glider: http://www.zazzle.com/dranger1108/products :glider:
Re: something horrible happened [Re: dranger1108] #210409
01/31/07 11:18 AM
01/31/07 11:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry that you had to see him like that. I hope you do find out what caused this and are able to protect your other gliders now that you know there is a threat. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be done to prevent something like this happening until she catches the culprit?

Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #210415
01/31/07 11:29 AM
01/31/07 11:29 AM
NY
kati Offline OP
Glider Guardian
kati  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

NY
Thank you for the kind words....

and thank you val, for that information on squirrels. I had pretty much ruled them out (i don't know much about squirrels) and i thought i was doing the little squirrel a favor by letting him live in my attic =*( I had heard of a genet doing the same thing to a ferret (they are about the same size, and very similar) so thats why i thought it could be another glider. The next squirrel who wants to come inside my house is going to have to get past me first.

I can not let this happen again. I'm privledged enough to own some very rare gliders and if something got to them after i knew there was a threat i could never forgive myself. I put out an "offering plate" with food on it so if they feel hungry hopefully they wolnt go after my gliders. Tonight i will put out traps in my glider room, and poison in my attic.

Last edited by FURBYnGIZMO; 01/31/07 11:55 AM.
Re: something horrible happened [Re: BeckiT] #210417
01/31/07 11:34 AM
01/31/07 11:34 AM
Chicago, IL
FURBYnGIZMO Offline
Glider Addict
FURBYnGIZMO  Offline
Glider Addict

Chicago, IL

OMG cry

I hope you find what ever caused such a horrible death to you little Cujo worried

In all this I don't think this was your missing glider hungry enough to cause this and that perhaps what did this to Cujo, your missing baby was prey to it as well...sorry if this is something you did not want to think about but it just seems that would be the case.

I would suggest getting your gliders to a place near where you sleep and move them from harm and the possibility of having this happen again. Cover your cage on all exposed sides with fleece or a blanket that wont be another hazard for the little ones on the inside (tie the ends at the bottom by wrapping a sort of belt to the bottom to keep what ever this is from crawling up the covered sides) and keep what ever this is out and leave on opening near the closest part of the cage closest to you so your little ones know you are near...this has probably affected them to see this as well worried but this would help you to see inside as well.

dance Jenny

Furby -- Kalila -- Deuce -- Gizmo

Furby :grey: Kalila :wfb: Deuce :leu:

Gizmo :rbridge:

Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210418
01/31/07 11:37 AM
01/31/07 11:37 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

squirrels liveing in your attic can and will cause alot of destrution as they chew everything. i am so sorry that your baby was murdered. sending love and hugs your way.

Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #210419
01/31/07 11:39 AM
01/31/07 11:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I feel so bad for you! Maybe you can try putting some very small hole wire (very in expensive at Ace Hardward & they sell it in smaller amounts than larger home repair stores), around the cage until the thing is caught. Or allow your maltese to stand guard while you sleep.
My heart goes out to you. But as with our children, we do all we can to protect them, but seems sometimes it just isn't enough. We will all remember you in prayer.

Last edited by BeckiT; 01/31/07 12:07 PM.
Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #210440
01/31/07 12:06 PM
01/31/07 12:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry this happened.

My only thought is to wrap the cages in hardware cloth. If it is a rat, window screening will not stop it.

Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #210479
01/31/07 01:03 PM
01/31/07 01:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh I am just in shock. I cant imagine you having to see him like that. I am so sorry.

I worry about traps and poison in case your other glider is out there and alive... could you do humane traps?

Good luck and I am so so sorry!!!

Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #210510
01/31/07 02:05 PM
01/31/07 02:05 PM
NY
kati Offline OP
Glider Guardian
kati  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

NY
Thank you for all of your advice. I will be sleeping in my sugar glider room (luckily there is a couch in there) with my maltese untill i'm sure there are no more unwanted visitors. Unfortunatly I think the other sugar glider that got out met the same fate. It seems to have a taste for WFB's =*( I feel so horrible.

Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210517
01/31/07 02:16 PM
01/31/07 02:16 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
OMG, how horrible! I do agree, that a the squirrel is most likely the culprit. It would have been attracted to the cage for the food and most like Cujo jumped onto the bars to see what it was. Poor baby. I will light a candle for him. Godspeed angel Cujo and I hope you catch whatever did this soon. And I second putting the wire around their cage.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #210527
01/31/07 02:23 PM
01/31/07 02:23 PM
Albany, NY
RSXTC Offline
Glider Slave
RSXTC  Offline
Glider Slave

Albany, NY
Oh...my...gosh. cry That description is enough to give me nightmares! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted By: momofthree
I worry about traps and poison in case your other glider is out there and alive... could you do humane traps?
She said she was using "have a heart" traps, which I assume are live/humane traps.

Re: something horrible happened [Re: RSXTC] #210543
01/31/07 02:54 PM
01/31/07 02:54 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
hug2 hug2 hug2

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: something horrible happened [Re: Cora] #210571
01/31/07 03:59 PM
01/31/07 03:59 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Most likely, a rat did this. I was just telling a friend and she had a similar experience and she said it sounds exactly like a rat. Have you noticed any droppings anywhere? They would definitely be attracted by the food, as well. Again, am so sorry. Please keep us posted.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: something horrible happened [Re: Cora] #210583
01/31/07 04:23 PM
01/31/07 04:23 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
I am so very sorry you are having to go through such a tragedy.

I must say though my first thought was not a squirrel but with the cold temps all across the nation, first thing that comes to mind would be street rats.

I have seen some of the damage they can do to other animals especially if they are hungry. Most people see the droppings and assume they have mice in the house, when indeed a lot of times it is also rats that invade.
Not to very long ago there was a huge fight outside, you could definitely tell it was a cat fighting with something, when we went outside there were a couple of rats killing the cat. The neighbor came out with a big ole stick. Point is they are very capable of doing such a thing.

I am so very very sorry this happened. It must be the hardest thing in the world to witness and go through. My prayers are with you.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Loveďż˝ Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210594
01/31/07 04:32 PM
01/31/07 04:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is the worst thing ever. Oh I never would have been able to handle that by myself. hug2 that poor sweet baby.

Something you may want to consider, I don't know how many gliders you have, or if they all get along okay, but I keep both of mine in a tent. They were escaping when I first got them, so I put them in there and they pretty much love it. That's how they've been ever since. They just have the cage inside the tent.

I think that maybe if you could keep them inside a tent, you could have alot of advantages:
1. you wouldn't have to sleep on the couch
a. you wouldn't scare away whatever did this by sleeping on the couch, then maybe you could trap it.
2. they would just think it was cool to have more tent time.
3. nothing could get to them if you tie the tent zippers shut.

just a suggestion, but I hope you find the source!

Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210647
01/31/07 05:52 PM
01/31/07 05:52 PM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Ohhhhh how sad. cry

Re: something horrible happened [Re: Judie] #210655
01/31/07 06:01 PM
01/31/07 06:01 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
A rat could chew through a tent, no problem. I think the suggestion of covering the cage in the wire until this thing is caught is the most foolproof idea, so they will be safe. It is amazing what rats can do when they are hungry.

Mary
Re: something horrible happened [Re: pappy1264] #210669
01/31/07 06:31 PM
01/31/07 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OMG! I am so sorry to hear this! I really hope you are able to catch whatever did this to poor Cujo. My heart goes out to you!

Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #210690
01/31/07 06:58 PM
01/31/07 06:58 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
I am so sorry...

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210734
01/31/07 07:57 PM
01/31/07 07:57 PM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
How horrendous. I feel for you. I would think if you had a squirrel bounding around in the glider room, you would hear him. My mom had a squirrel in the house and oh boy could you hear him. please try the hav-a-heart traps first. Poison is not a good thing to use when you have other animals in the house. Domestic or wild.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: something horrible happened [Re: Gossamer] #210749
01/31/07 08:18 PM
01/31/07 08:18 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
That is awful! I feel so bad for you!

I have to agree that this sounds like a rat to me. They are incredibly strong and can get into most places. They are also smart enough to entice a glider to the bars. I have had pet rats for years and they are smart, persistant, strong and can get into anything. Covering the cage with wire is probably your best bet - just remember, rats can crawl thru holes the size of a quarter - make sure it is a tight mesh!

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: something horrible happened [Re: Gossamer] #210753
01/31/07 08:25 PM
01/31/07 08:25 PM
South Florida
kristenfl Offline
Glider Guardian
kristenfl  Offline
Glider Guardian

South Florida
I think this is the worst thing I have heard... I feel for you and poor Cujo! I truly hope you catch what ever it is that did this. Please keep us updated and let us know how things go. We are all thinking of you and praying for you.

Kristen
Re: something horrible happened [Re: kristenfl] #210790
01/31/07 09:00 PM
01/31/07 09:00 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
i know you may not want this suggestion but, is there any way your other gliders could stay with at a freinds house for a few days? that way you could hope to catch whatever it is that is terrorizing you and your gliders and you wouldn't have to worry abt them being hurt like Cujo was.
:hug: sent your way!!

Holly & Jeff heart
Misos Phoenix Keegan Knuckles // Asa Etienne Kyrian // Cheyenne Peyton Godiva

RIP my sweet gangel babies, mommy loves you!
Re: something horrible happened [Re: kati] #210852
01/31/07 10:34 PM
01/31/07 10:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I couldn't believe what I was reading. You poor thing! hug2 To have to come in and see that...and to have to get him out of the cage that way. That sweet baby... I can't fathom what he must have gone through. cry I hope you find whatever it is that did this. Please keep us updated!

Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #211008
02/01/07 04:51 AM
02/01/07 04:51 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Oh, Kati! What a horrible tragedy this is! Poor, sweet little Cujo. heart

I am so sorry you had to see him like that, and now have to deal with the mystery of his death. I pray you find resolution and peace in your heart quickly. You've lost more than your share of loved ones. hug2

If there are droppings around the cage or in the house, can you take those somewhere to be analyzed—identified as to what type of animal made them? Are there humane exterminators (is that an oxymoron?) who can help identify possible places dangerous critters like rats could enter your home, and help you seal them?

I am just so, so sorry... frown

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: something horrible happened [Re: KattyM] #211011
02/01/07 05:18 AM
02/01/07 05:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would use 1/2" hardware cloth around the cages. The tricky part is that metal hardware cloth is made of galvanized wire, which is not safe for suggies to come in contact with, so , I would not put it right next to the cage wall, but out a little bit.

And remember to put a top and a bottom on it. They make these little clips and s special tool to clip them with that make the seams really easy to make.

I was hoping to read that you had caught the culprit.

Please keep us posted.

Re: something horrible happened [Re: ] #211117
02/01/07 01:01 PM
02/01/07 01:01 PM
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Slickable3 Offline
Glider Slave
Slickable3  Offline
Glider Slave

Cortlandt Manor, NY
I'm so so so sorry....
Any updates on what could have done this?

~Christine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024