Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... #2308
05/16/01 10:37 PM
05/16/01 10:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

My glider has been eating Briskys for an entire year with no problems or worries. She was incredible. She slept in my hands and purred in my ear everyday. She was such a friendly glider. She would jump from person to person, lick everyone's ears and run down their shirts. It was too cute. She never left my body when we walked around the house. I loved her to death!! That is why I fed her the Briskys. Because I was so concerned with her health that I looked for the best diet possible for her. I didn't want to feed her the wrong amount of anything and I didn't want to feed her an unproven diet. So I talked to a lot of people and did lots of research. But from what I was being told by breeders and glider owners was that Briskys was the best way to go since it had so much research and was something that you would never need to worry about. I never had any problems with Briskys. She always had fresh food and water in the cage. I refilled or cleaned out chewed up food every day! I had never found bugs in the Briskys like I had heard. The extra food was stored in the freezer until I needed to use it. She was healthy at both checkups she had. I thought I was so lucky. Since you hear so many scary stories.<BR>Sunday afternoon when I went to our bedroom to change out her water I saw her laying on the bottom of her cage, lifeless...Keep in mind we had her out the day before with no signs of any sickness...I pet her gently to see if there was anything left in her. She didn't move and was cold to the touch. I lifted her head in one last attempt to get some sort of response. Her eyes remained closed and I knew she was gone. When I went to place her head back down so I could lay down because I was ready to pass out. Just then she held up her head on her own and twitched. I couldn't believe it. I thought I was seeing things. After the 3rd time I realized she was still alive. We moved fast, got a heating pad and put it on hi so it would heat up fast. Wrapped the pad in a shirt turned down the pad and put her inside it. While I was putting her in she grabbed my fingers with her claws and opened her eyes, only a little. We called the emergency vet for exotics asap. They said give her some syrup. So we grabbed a syringe and pried open her jaw gave her a drop on her tongue. She started to move her jaw and actually swallowed it on her own. As soon as we got her a boost of energy from the syrup and warmed her up a little, about 3-5 minutes, she was placed on my stomach to keep her warm and ran red lights and went 90 miles per hour to the emergency vet. 30 minutes away-even driving like a maniac.<BR>As soon as we got her in she was given fluids and more things to bring up her blood sugar. After about 45 minutes in the waiting room we were allowed back. She was stable, still critical, but stable. We were so relieved. The vet told us what happened was she was so low in calcium it caused her blood sugar to go down and her to slowly diminish.<BR>She had to stay overnight. So we went to say good-bye in case she didn't make it. When we went in she was actually moving around with her eyes open and trying to move around in the cage. I was so impressed. She was fighting so hard and she was so sick, I couldn't believe the will she had. :'(<BR>The next morning the doctor called. She had made it through the night. But by afternoon she was gone. We went that afternoon and buried her in our backyard, by our pond. Tomorrow we are out to look for an apple tree, she loved to play with the branches. We are going to plant it where she is buried.<BR>The cause of death was calcium deficiency. All she ever ate was Briskys. I always followed all the rules with it. Never give her more than 10% treats. The only treats she got was Glideraid once a week. I didn't want to mess up the balance so I check to make sure what she was eating was okay and her balances wouldn't be disturbed by the Glideraid. When I went in to the vet she asked what I was feeding her and I told her Briskys. Expecting her to say that she didn't understand it because Briskys was such a good food. Instead she had an I knew it look on her face and explained to me why Briskys was bad. I told her about the breeders that recommended it and she said that they are breeders not vets. And then told me that she had gliders of her own and would not feed Briskys. First of all, we don't know for sure, 100% what the glider eats in the wild. So what we do is offer it what can to make it the most like the wild in captivity. But without the right research no commercial food should be made for a wild animal. Think about it for a second...If you own gliders you looked for all types of diets, everyone does. Did you see any zoos feeding Briskys to their gliders. What about what the vets recommend? Was Briskys on the list? Nope. The only way to have a calcium deficiency was not enough calcium. But if Briskys supplies the right amount of calcium than does that make sense? If Briskys knows exactly how much calcium a glider needs than when it is fed we don't have to worry about our glider's having not enough calcium? Right? That's what I thought too. Now I regret everyday refilling her food dish with this. I cry every time I think about it. I only wrote this post because I couldn't live with myself if I knew all of this and let other gliders die without at least trying to get people not to feed it. Please be careful. You will miss them when they are gone.<BR>Love Tammy<BR>

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2309
05/16/01 10:54 PM
05/16/01 10:54 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear about your loss of your little one. My heart goes out to you. Thank you for posting your story.

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2310
05/16/01 11:14 PM
05/16/01 11:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy I am so sorry to hear about your loss..<BR>I am crying now thinking about it..I have a friend who also lost a glider to briskey's.<BR>Please take care and my thoughts are with you.<P>------------------<BR>Niki,<BR>Proud and doting mom to Zurri and Zoe

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2311
05/17/01 09:50 AM
05/17/01 09:50 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy: So sorry to hear of your loss. sounds as though your glider had lots of love during her time with you & that you did everything you could to help her at the end. In fact, your love for your glider is probably what made her keep fighting to survive after you found her Sunday at the bottom of her cage. <P>If your glider died due to a calcium deficiency while on the Brisky's diet, I applaud your courage in wanting to get people to think about whether the Brisky's diet is really the best diet for their gliders. I also know that the maximum amount of calcium in the Brisky's food is 1.7%. For those using Brisky's, I would urge you to ask Dick Brisky to provide you with the research data used to determine that this amount of calcium is adequate for a glider's dietary/health needs. If his diet has been researched as extensively as he claims, Dick Brisky should be willing to share that research data with glider owners using his diet. <P>Again Tammy, accept my condolences on the loss of your little girl & thank you for sharing your story with us. It may help save some other gliders' lives out there.<p>[This message has been edited by Glideroo (edited 05-17-2001).]

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2312
05/17/01 02:57 PM
05/17/01 02:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy, <BR> I am so sorry. You did everything you knew to do. You were careful. You avoided things you knew to be bad. You assumed the breeders knew what they were talking about, and that a product specifically formulated for gliders would be safe. <BR> You did everything you could down to the last minute. I am so very, very sorry. Gliders just get in our hearts and take up residence there. I know that was the case with your little one. God bless --<P>------------------<BR>Lucy

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: Anonymous] #2313
05/17/01 04:16 PM
05/17/01 04:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy,<BR>I am so sorry. Your story is so sad. It sounds like you were such a good mommy, only trying to do what is best for your baby. It is so hard to know what is best for them, especially when you have several people telling you to use Brisky's. I am so sorry for your loss.

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: Compton384] #2314
05/17/01 05:51 PM
05/17/01 05:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am very sorry for your loss and i just wanted to say what everyone else did because you did everything you could have done right up to the last remaining minutes. I also want to thank you for informing others of the Briskys problem. When i got my sugar gliders they were on Briskys but i soon switched them to BML and i am glad because i would miss them so much if i lost them. I am sorry again for you loss.<P>Jill<BR>Adam []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR>Eve []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2315
05/17/01 05:58 PM
05/17/01 05:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.<BR>Im getting a glider for the first time and I was going to feed it Briskys.Thank you so much for posting your message. I know its tough,but I think you saved the life of another Glider.<P>Thank you so much []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR>SuJaho

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: Anonymous] #2316
05/17/01 10:08 PM
05/17/01 10:08 PM
Willard, Mo. USA
kb2e Offline
Glider Slave
kb2e  Offline
Glider Slave

Willard, Mo. USA
I'm sorry you lost your friend. I've been there, and I know the pain is unbearable. Talk to us anytime you need to.

Kathy
God Bless America
RIP Sneakers\Abby\Pepe\Missy/Shelby/Buddy
Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2317
05/18/01 09:26 AM
05/18/01 09:26 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry to read of your loss.<BR>Marvin

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2318
05/18/01 10:03 AM
05/18/01 10:03 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My question is if Dick Brisky knows gliders are dying from his diet, why doesn't he do something? I know the money thing and all that, but does he seem concerned??

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2319
05/18/01 10:38 AM
05/18/01 10:38 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thank you so much everyone for all of your kind words. It helps me get through this. I didn't think this would be this hard. I knew I would have to lose her someday, but I didn't think it would be so soon. <BR>I am so glad that my post at least made one person change their minds about Briskys. Thank you for making the right decision.<BR>I posted this same exact story on Briskys website, hopefully someone will read it. I don't know what Dick thinks about all of these gliders dying. I guess he just brushes it off as someone throwing off the balance or something that isn't his fault. I know lots of people feed Briskys and have for years with great success, but I just feel like it is something that should be watched very carefully if you intent to feed it. <BR>I just keep remembering how we used to play underneath the covers of my bed while my fiance was asleep. I didn't want us to wake him up so I would sneak out of bed at night after he fell asleep and get Gizmo and pull the blanket over my head to make a tent. That way she couldn't climb onto him while he was asleep. She used to wrestle with my fingers. She loved to play. I think because every since I brought her home the first night that's always where I had her playing because I could see her the whole time and she would make me laugh. I would stay up until 5 am, not paying attention to the time because she was so cute I could watch her jump around for hours. She used to clean my face, she hated mascara, lol. She would grab my eyelashes whenever I wore it and tried to tear them off, lol. I guess I can still laugh about all of her silly games, but I miss them so much.<BR>I have lots of toys, pouches, food dishes, glideraid and a good size cage. I want to find a glider rescue in the Chicagoland area so I can give them these things to help save some of these guys. I'm going to post an ad in the classifieds. <BR>I wish I had the strength to get another glider, but I loved Gizmo too much and I know no matter how many I have they will never replace her. She will always be remembered...<BR>Thank you again everyone. I really appreciate all of your sympathy. You guys are terrific. I hope all of you have long healthy lives with your babies. I have read lots of previous posts and I know you guys take great care of you gliders. I am so glad that there are so many great people here who really care about their babies. I have seen some very sad glider stories, because people didn't care about them. I can't understand it. How could you not look into those big eyes and fall in love? I guess some people are just that way. <BR>Thanks a lot guys.<BR>Love Tammy

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2320
05/19/01 12:10 AM
05/19/01 12:10 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy, i just wanted to tell u something that B told me when we believed louie was going to die...through the loss of one, many are saved...by posting this, u already know for a fact u saved one life, but think of others who have read this, or will read it but not post anything...at least u know ur glider did not die in vain, and b/c of you, who knows how many gliders will be saved. I urge u to continue warning people about Briskys on other websites...i know its painful now, but maybe if u wait awhile u'll be able to do it. Again, i'm sorry for your loss, the pain ur going through must be unbearable...at least she was loved, and will see u at the Rainbow Bridge...

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2321
05/19/01 02:14 AM
05/19/01 02:14 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy,<P>I am so sorry for your loss. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/] <P>It always saddens me, to read about a lost Glider. So little, yet they have such an impact on our lives.<P>Thank you for sharing with us. As Rebelchik said, you know you've saved at least one Gliders life. <P>Deb<BR>and my Possums

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2322
05/20/01 03:13 PM
05/20/01 03:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy,<BR>I am sooo sorry to hear about your lose []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]. I have my glider on Brisky's and I am definetely stopping feeding it to him. <BR>Sorry again,<BR>Laura and Rocky []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2323
05/20/01 09:20 PM
05/20/01 09:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tammy,<BR>Thank you so much for posting this. My heart goes out to you for your loss. I will never use Briskys again after reading your story. I hope that if enough people write to Mr. Brisky and inform him of how gliders are dying from his diet, that maybe he will eventually make some efforts to reform it. Again, thank you for sharing. I am so sorry your little glider is gone. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2324
05/25/01 05:51 AM
05/25/01 05:51 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am sooo sorry...this is hard for me because I lost my Arrow in November 2000 and still grieve for him. That's why I have taken up rescues myself from people who have obtained them from the original owners. I hope you will find another glider or gliders who need a good mommy like you. Take care and you will be in my prayers.<P>Tessa~~~~~~~~~~~ []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/]

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2325
05/25/01 08:54 AM
05/25/01 08:54 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm so sorry for your tragic loss!<BR>I think the members of this board should unite against Brisky's. They are falsely advertising their product as a complete diet when obviously it is lacking calcium. I think with enough people we get them to change some things.Too many gliders have died as a result of Briskey's.

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2326
06/12/01 10:37 PM
06/12/01 10:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am really sorry about your loss []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]. We shoulg let every one know about this cause alot of people use briskys.<P>------------------<BR>Gliders Rule!

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2327
07/08/01 01:47 AM
07/08/01 01:47 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So sorry about your fuzzy. Thanks for the info, I wasnt even aware the brand i was using was briskys, they must know there is a problem with it or they wouldnt print the name so small. You should contact the company and let them know what happened<BR>Brisky's Pet Products<BR>P.O. Box 186<BR>Franklinville, NY 14737<BR>ph 1-800-462-2464

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: Anonymous] #2328
07/15/01 09:26 AM
07/15/01 09:26 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rebelchikk:<BR><B>Tammy, i just wanted to tell u something that B told me when we believed louie was going to die...through the loss of one, many are saved...by posting this, u already know for a fact u saved one life, but think of others who have read this, or will read it but not post anything...at least u know ur glider did not die in vain, and b/c of you, who knows how many gliders will be saved. I urge u to continue warning people about Briskys on other websites...i know its painful now, but maybe if u wait awhile u'll be able to do it. Again, i'm sorry for your loss, the pain ur going through must be unbearable...at least she was loved, and will see u at the Rainbow Bridge...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have suspended feeding my 3 gliders the accu-feed until I have a responce from Briskys. I sent an e-mail to them asking to address my concerns. In their defence, I do have a glider that has only been eating Briskys for 3 years now. All three of my gliders are very healthy and have beautiful coats. But I am worried enough to stop for now.<P>Craig<BR>Rafiki, Abu and Sydney give a bark out to the other gliders out there...<p>[This message has been edited by Narcoden (edited 07-15-2001).]

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2329
07/16/01 09:41 PM
07/16/01 09:41 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am the wife of GliderGuy and I was just reading about Brisky's being the cause of the loss of your sweet little glider and am just floored!! When I got our 1st lil guy he came with some Brisky's and we did (only in the very begining and only because we did not know and trusted the breeder)feed it to him along with fruits and veggies. I cannot tell you how greatful I am that my husband took such and interest in gliders and decided to look to the Internet for answers. It is a shame that there are still people out there that,(like we were) at first, have absolutely no idea what to do with these sweet babies and that love them so very much. I know that we wanted to do everything right like all new glider owners and thought that was what we were doing. It seems that Briskys gets a lot of business from new glider owners and I must admit, it would be a lot easier to just dump dry food into a bowl (like a cat or dog), so maybe we were a little lazy too in the begining. Maybe it was just that we were so conditioned to the "typical" or "normal" pets that it just seemed ok. Our guys have not eaten any of the Briskys for a very long time and have been thriving on BML with insects, fruits and veggies. Briskys gets the business of all the new owners who all have good intentions and mean to do well for their glider and it is sad that they kind of prey on them. The victims are the babies and it is not right. I am so very sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine it. I think that the web site that is being put together should really target issues such as this one and to give as much knowledgable information as is available. I have never come across such a group as this, all glider lovers, genuinely concerned for these innocent little creatures. So much more conviction than any dog or cat lover it seems (and I am both). Even as an animal lover in general, this is something different and definitely something very special about these guys. Again, sorry for your loss and for babbling. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/blush.gif[/] <BR>wife of GliderGuys<BR>Giz []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/] and Gadget []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/] ("the guys")<P>[This message has been edited by GliderGuys (edited 07-16-2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by GliderGuys (edited 07-16-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by GliderGuys (edited 07-16-2001).]

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2330
07/23/01 01:37 AM
07/23/01 01:37 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have never even heard of Briskys, what is it a kindof cat food for gliders? do they not sell them in canada, which sounds like a good thing after that story eh? anyway's if they did sell them here or just started one day, I _would_ have probably put them on it thinking "oh finaly glider food" but now that I know I will defently keep to their complex diet they have now. taking the short way out seems to be a way to take them out. which sucks. but thank you for your post about how important diet is.

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2331
07/27/01 01:09 PM
07/27/01 01:09 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well, I have some news. While I did not get a responce from Briskys.. I did talk with our vet about this. Just a little background on our vet, there are only about six vets in the Chicago area that know what a glider is and can see them. Midwest Exotics has 3 of them. Dr. Ness is an expert with these animals as the good Doctor breeds them and has them as personal pets (I believe he wrote a book or an artical on them). He said the glider doctors in his office have determined that Briskys is a very good diet for gliders. He said it's not totally complete and should be suplemented with leafy veggies, insects and nector.<P>He also said that the proof should be in the fact that our animals have only eaten Briskys. Our female has been on the stuff for 3 years and just had her first joey. The Doctor said that having such a healthy joey as a first time mom shows she had excellent nutrition and was free of stress.<P>Have questions about my vet? Look them up or pay them a visit.<P><A HREF="http://www.gcfa.com/midwest.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gcfa.com/midwest.html</A><P>I'm sorry for the loss of these gliders but I fear it wasn't the Briskys that caused them to pass away... We should look for other possible causes.<P>

Re: My glider died 2 days ago because of Briskys... [Re: ] #2332
08/01/01 01:18 PM
08/01/01 01:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Please see the topic "A Response from Brisky" in the Real Stories section before you make a judgement about the Brisky Sugar Glider diet.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024