Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Over Grooming …. Help … #268258
04/22/07 08:03 PM
04/22/07 08:03 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL

Over Grooming …. Help …

Surge is over grooming .. he back end … the hips area ……. His fur is very thin …. I’m not sure what else to do??? He is with his sister Sage .. they have always bee together … they have had time with Mango … but I can not allow Mango and Sage to stay together .. Mango insists on reopening an Mating wound he gave her … and they also get along with Peanut and Punkin … so all 5 can hang out together .. but Mango and Sage can NOT be together … so I wonder if Surge just is lonely … so to speak … he ahs had time with the Boys … but lives with his sister …. I have tried everything I can think of .. but he is still over grooming … any suggestions … ???

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Over Grooming …. Help … [Re: Xglider] #268290
04/22/07 08:29 PM
04/22/07 08:29 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Okay, John, I've read your note about 5 times and I'm having trouble determining who's boys and who's girls.

Let me take a shot at it here:

Boys Girls Unknown Gender???

Surge Sage Peanut
Mango Punkin

And this five-some is split into, what, 2 cages or 3?

My knee-jerk reaction would be that you're playing Musical Cages a bit too much...and Surge has had enough.

I presume that they all get along during playtime, but when it comes to shutting down for the night...that's where the problems start. I also presume that Surge isn't showing any MEDICAL signs of problems...just the fur loss?

If you could put a little more detail into my 2 questions, maybe I can help better.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Over Grooming …. Help … [Re: minkasmom] #268294
04/22/07 08:32 PM
04/22/07 08:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He could be lonely or depression from many reason
Has he ever had a cage mate or maybe something bad happen or something like that?
You should call your vet ASAP

Re: Over Grooming …. Help … [Re: Xglider] #268319
04/22/07 09:03 PM
04/22/07 09:03 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Originally Posted By: Xglider

Over Grooming &#133;. Help &#133;

Surge is over grooming .. he back end &#133; the hips area &#133;&#133;. His fur is very thin &#133;. I&#146;m not sure what else to do??? He is with his sister Sage .. they have always bee together &#133; they have had time with Mango &#133; but I can not allow Mango and Sage to stay together .. Mango insists on reopening an Mating wound he gave her &#133; and they also get along with Peanut and Punkin &#133; so all 5 can hang out together .. but Mango and Sage can NOT be together &#133; so I wonder if Surge just is lonely &#133; so to speak &#133; he ahs had time with the Boys &#133; but lives with his sister &#133;. I have tried everything I can think of .. but he is still over grooming &#133; any suggestions &#133; ???

Surge(M) and Sage(F) are sharing a cage. They are bro/sis and he is neutered. Mango(M) used to be in with them, but gave Sage (F) a mating wound. They are separated, but Surge and Sage have playtime with Mango. And Peanut and Punkin also. After playtime they are separated into 3 cages: Sage and Surge, Mango, and Punkin and Peanut.

At least that's what I'm getting.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Over Grooming …. Help … [Re: princessmegi] #268332
04/22/07 09:24 PM
04/22/07 09:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

O ok thank you Megi
I dont get why he is over grooming really
Maybe it is because you took Mango out of the cage?

Re: Over Grooming …. Help … [Re: princessmegi] #268333
04/22/07 09:26 PM
04/22/07 09:26 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
It's an unusual place for overgrooming. Two questions. 1-is their pouch very roomy? and 2-when was his last vet check?

Okay....3...what diet, and does he eat it consistently?

Last edited by Xfilefan; 04/22/07 09:26 PM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Over Grooming …. Help … [Re: Xfilefan] #268631
04/23/07 11:09 AM
04/23/07 11:09 AM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Sorry that my post was not clear …

Cage 1 = Surge (M) neutered w/ sister Sage (F)
Cage 2 = Mango (M) Peanut (M) & Punkin (M) all neutered …

I originally introduced Mango to Sage and Surge, that was fine for a while until Mango inflicted the first mating wound on Sage, after she healed, and Mango was Neutered, months for everyone one to heal and his hormones to drop I tried it again … second mating wound … not as serious … so Mango now lives with Peanut & Punkin … all 5 play well together and when I do cage cleaning I put the two pouches into a small travel cage and all 5 wind up in one pouch… but I still can not Leave Mango with Sage as even yesterday the two hours they were together I can see the Sage’s neck has a few hairs pulled ….

The main problem I am concerned about is the thinning hair on Surge, his back end, not his tail but his hips…

Jen, they have large pouches 12x12 or 8x8 so lots of room … have not had a vet check in about a year so I may be adding that soon… diet is BML no problem there he is eating fine…

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Over Grooming …. Help … [Re: Xglider] #268661
04/23/07 11:57 AM
04/23/07 11:57 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
John,
I've had experience with two of my gliders overgrooming the same area that you are describing - the hips, down near where the base of the tail is. Two different causes for my gliders were entailed, so I'll describe them both separately as best as I can, plus the solutions I came up with for each of them...

1) Allira
She is housed with Gizmo (neutered male). Their cage was in our bedroom, about 5 feet away from Pika & Cricky's cage. In addition, our cats are confined to our bedroom at night. At first, we thought maybe the cats were bothering her. We moved her cage out to the living room (where the cats can't go at night when the gliders are awake). She continued to overgroom. We then moved her cage into the front guest room (no other glider cages whatsoever NOR cats). The overgrooming stopped. So we determined that the overgrooming was due to the proximity of other glider cages. We moved her cage back into the living room but placed it completely across the room from the other two cages there. There's now about 16 feet between her cage and the next cage. No more overgrooming. However, when we tried to introduce Mareki (her mother) to them by placing her cage next to theirs, Allira started to overgroom that area again. We have determined that Allira will only tolerate being in proximity with Gizmo, any other gliders near her cage stress her out and the overgrooming begins.

2) Mareki
Mareki used to be housed with DaisyMae (her mother) but had to be separated from her because she continually reopened a previous mating wound that DaisyMae had sustained when housed with Coobah (intact male). Many attempts at putting Mareki & DaisyMae together resulted in Mareki reopening the wound, even after 3-4 months between attempts with plenty of time for complete healing of the wound to occur. Mareki became a permanently "single" glider. Mareki's cage was placed in our bedroom right next to my bed. She began to overgroom that same area. We attempted to introduce her to Gizmo & Allira (as already noted, Allira was stressed by this although Gizmo was thrilled). Mareki's overgrooming did stop during the introduction process. However, when Mareki's cage was brought back into our bedroom, it started again. At first, we thought it was due to being lonely. However, we discovered that the cat was constantly sitting right next to Mareki's cage during the night, watching her. When I made a special cage cover that blocked the cat from being able to watch her, the overgrooming of the hip area stopped. So, in Mareki's case, the overgrooming of the hip area was caused by stress from the cat.

I know that you have tried multiple things to figure out why Surge is becoming stressed. It is possible that he is stressed due to being given playtime with his non-cage mates. It may also be due to proximity of his cage to the other cage. Try moving his cage as far away from the other cage as possible. Also try giving him & Sage a completely separate playtime from the other gliders. It may be that he is just a single-glider guy dunno

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024