Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Why all the breeding ??? #349342
07/29/07 02:57 AM
07/29/07 02:57 AM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Hi all, so I have noticed that a lot of glider parents out there are breeding and I was wondering why ?! There are so many gliders out there that need homes already, I really don't understand why there are some many people still breeding, especially newbies to the glider world. Maybe I'm missing something... dunno

By the way this is post is not at intended to offend anyone, I'm am just curious ! wink

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349353
07/29/07 03:45 AM
07/29/07 03:45 AM

H
HelloSugar
Unregistered
HelloSugar
Unregistered
H

Most likely because a lot of people want to experience the joy of watching a baby grow up. In my opinion, it's a completely natural thing. It's the overbreeding that's the problem. A person with a pair of gliders that occasionally has babies is one thing. A person who has countless pairs constantly breeding is quite another.

In relation, what's the different between what many have called "mills" and any of the big time breeders from right here on this board? They all breed large numbers of gliders, so why are the lesser known large scale breeders called mills while some other large scale breeders receive so much praise?

Just curious what the difference is.

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349355
07/29/07 04:11 AM
07/29/07 04:11 AM

H
hockeyplayer187
Unregistered
hockeyplayer187
Unregistered
H

Well think of it this way, you have a friend that has a puppy mill and you have a friend that is a good responsible large breeder, which do you pick? Not to mention that theres not any breeders that I know of on this board that are as big as the glider mill in Texas (can think of name) Now Lisa at Suncoast has quite a few gliders but anyone you talk to that has one of her gliders that thier taken care of, now get a glider from a mill, there gliders are as well taken care of and most people will agree. Well here there has been many many many reports of mills selling glider joeys underage, and a breeder on this board isnt going to do that, or else they wouldnt be on this board. Everyone on here that is a "big time breeder" has more than likely been here a while and are very educated.

Now for the newbies being breeders I agree that I think they want to enjoy having thier own joey, which yes there are gliders in rescue homes but the newbies dont want a rescue they want to enjoy helping to raise a joey. This happens with every animal and it probably will never stop.

Now thats just my opinon, and your probably going to get a lot of different opinons in this post, but its an excellent question.

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349380
07/29/07 07:04 AM
07/29/07 07:04 AM
Columbia SC
BKaylor74 Offline
Glider Explorer
BKaylor74  Offline
Glider Explorer

Columbia SC
I think there's a huge difference between a large breeder and a glider mill.

At least the breeders on this board, from what I've seen and read, all seem to care a lot for their gliders. I don't know many of you, but it seems for the most part, people here take care to ensure that every glider born in their establishment is cared for and pampered before being separated from their parents and sold.

When I think of the term mill, regardless of what animal is attached to it, I imagine a warehouse of cages crammed with animals (gliders, in this case) whose sole purpose is to breed and make more gliders. Little, if any, human contact beyond the daily or weekly feeding, watering, etc. No socialization or hand-taming, no space to run and exercise or enjoy life the way they should. Their only purpose in life is to breed so their owner can profit. When I think of the term 'mill,' the picture of a very large, world-recognized ferret breeder comes to mind.

If you think about it, why are their breeders of any animal, when there are so many others of that animal out there already who are homeless, abused, starving, etc? Whether it's a dog, cat, bird, rabbit, iguana, or sugar glider? The same question can be applied to them all. When a lot of people find a particular animal most endearing, you're eventually going to have someone interested in breeding that animal. And the more popular the animal becomes, the more breeders are going to spring up.

It's sad that there's so many unwanted gliders out there. It's sad that there's so many unwanted animals in general out there. But one thing about breeding gliders is that the more people who own them, the more common they'll be, which in a way may take away from their uniqueness as a pet, but it will help in the long run when various pro-glider groups are trying to get laws and regulations passed to allow them to be kept as pets in a particular area. It makes sense, doesn't it?

~Bryan
----------------
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: BKaylor74] #349388
07/29/07 09:16 AM
07/29/07 09:16 AM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
Melissa, check out this thread I started awhile back. Pretty much the same question you asked and it got a lot of responses. Not too many of the newbies I was hoping for, though. I'd still like to know why they want so badly to jump right into breeding.

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=7&Number=323254&Searchpage=1&Main=31689&Words=Why+do+YOU+breed%3F+glidergrl1513&topic=0&Search=true#Post323254

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: glidergrl1513] #349390
07/29/07 09:24 AM
07/29/07 09:24 AM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
Not just gliders, but all animals face this 'breeding' crisis. People feel it is unnatural, or unfair to their animals to fix them. All of my animals are neutered - check the link for information on dogs/cats.

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: Mel2mdl] #349409
07/29/07 10:10 AM
07/29/07 10:10 AM

K
Kitty
Unregistered
Kitty
Unregistered
K

I agree definantly. It seems that the people on this board are definantly more "skilled" and capable of breeding large scale. They know what they're doing and they're not just a mill.

My puppy Duke, who is getting neutered Wendsday, came from a store here called Kickingbird Pets. They get all thier animals from breeders like the one you find on the board. Yeah, he's got a pettigree, but he was well taken care of and well loved when we got him, and every time we return there the workers all know him and remember him. Its touching really.

Heck, when i get Gliders, i dont want to breed immidiately...but i've always thought when i get a bit older i might want to raise a few joeys. But again, its the novelty of raising them and having the joy of seeing the process.

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349492
07/29/07 02:06 PM
07/29/07 02:06 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Well, it concerns me because I think some people see breeding gliders as easy and not a lot of work and a way to pull in a few extra bucks.

I understand both sides of the argument on why you should or should not breed animals, so I don't want to step into that one, but I ask if you are going to breed, breed responsibly and ethically.

A sugar glider is clearly an animal that needs a LOT of care to be happy in captivity, so to me it seems that it would be hard to give this kind of care and attention unless you were a smaller scale operation. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done large scale, but you would pretty much have to dedicate your life to doing it, you wouldn't be able to work full time or do much else.

When I was looking for a third glider I talked to many breeders. A couple of the breeders I talked to asked me if I wanted to breed, and said, "Oh, it's really not a big deal. It's not extra work. And it brings me a few extra bucks to help pay for the other gliders' stuff."

That kind of attitude really frightens me...almost like the joeys were just little cute objects or stuffed animals to be sold for a buck. That really seems like breeding for the wrong reasons for me...and if you are raising joeys well, I can't see how it would NOT be extra work or money.

I don't think we're going to convert anyone to NOT breeding by reminding them how many homeless animals there are out there; rather, this will probably alienate people. Maybe we COULD stress if you are responsibly breeding, how much work having joeys, caring for joeys, and placing joeys in good homes can be, and that it really doesn't bring in much of a profit. Hopefully this will make people who are just in it for a few bucks decide not to breed.

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349500
07/29/07 02:22 PM
07/29/07 02:22 PM

G
GizmosGal
Unregistered
GizmosGal
Unregistered
G

My concern is not only WHY people breed but WHAT they are breeding. I am horrified when I read posts about people with gliders that were purchased from pet stores, rescued or rehomes with no known lineage, that are allowing those gliders to breed. How can you allow gliders that are possibly siblings or already inbred to breed? Why would you breed a glider that you do not know the family history of? If you are not sure that these gliders come from healthy lines, you could be allowing joeys to be brought into the world that will have health problems and short lives.

After you allow your gliders to breed, just so you can "experience joeys", what are you going to do with those joeys? Some people plan to keep the babies, which is why they breed them in the first place. If that isn't your intentions, are you prepared to keep them if a wonderful home cannot be found? I have been horrified lately to read posts in the classified section where people threaten to turn joeys loose or give them to a mill breeder because they cannot sell them. Yet these same people will allow their gliders to breed again. That is so inhumane and unresponsible.

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349503
07/29/07 02:36 PM
07/29/07 02:36 PM

M
Meggelle
Unregistered
Meggelle
Unregistered
M

I think alot of the problem is the market out there of breeding pairs. I went to buy Zoey and Zander thinking that Zander was neutered. When I went to pick him up he wasn't. I still bought them though, at a lowered price, with the intention to neuter him as soon as possible. I bought him in April and went to our vet in may to see about getting him neutered. I couldn't get them in for a wellness exam for a few weeks. When I did it was still July before I could neuter him. I looked for a differnt vet, but none seemed as glider smart as the first was. So I had to wait. To be honest, I was under the impression that a gliders reproduction cycle was similiar to dogs in the way that they could only breed about twice a year. And because when i bought Zoey her last joey was 12 weeks oop I didn't think they would breed again so soon. But of course they did. I wasn't planning on getting another glider besides those two, but I wouldn't give their babies Zig and Zag up for the world. I really think that breeders should have a limit on the number of unneutered males they have. If they are allowed three breeding females then they shouldn't be allowed to have 5 unneutered males. Also I think you should have to have a license or permit or SOMETHING to sell a glider, no matter if you breed or not. If this was a requirement I'm sure the number of breeders would go down.

About the glider mills verses large breeders, I think its the quality of the animal that puts the breeder in the catagory. For example, I was looking at the Flying Fur Ranch's website (the mill in texas) out of pure curiosity. Did you know they won't sell a glider to you unless you buy five or more? A large breeder would never make that requirement. Also they say "*Breeding pairs are not pet quality animals!" To me that raises a red flag right there. Why in the world would you want, or need, to tell anyone that? It kind of stumped me too. So does that mean that they're breeding pairs are not at all tame? What kind of life is that?!

if anyone was wondering, here is the website to Flying Fur Ranch

http://www.flyingfurranch.com/index.html

Just read they first paragraphs and you'll know that something isn't right there.

Last edited by Meggelle; 07/29/07 02:42 PM. Reason: grr clicked enter to soon
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349504
07/29/07 02:38 PM
07/29/07 02:38 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I agree with some points on this matter. I do believe all animals are being over bred these days for profit, greed, and lack of responsibility. I have a breeding pair wich will be ritred here soon, and plan to breed my wfb with my jynxie if and when they decide they want to and both are at mature breeding ages. I would love to have a few wfb and hand tame them myself if given the chance.

I know there are mills out there, and my defintion of a mill is a grossly large breeder out for nothing but profit. There is one in Texas that many know and disaprove of, I will not bash but if interested pm me. This individual does not spend quality time with joeys like a smaller scale breeder does. Mills have poor living conditions and are purely profit. Very sad!

I before my joeys have been OOP have already begun looking for their prospective home(s) and have high standards for them. I do not do not do this for money, if I did they would be sold for a heck of alot more then what they are to pay for all my time I put in them and every thing else required to make their captive lifes as happy as can be.

I think many people do breed for a joeys to experince that for them selves but it should be discouraged, and nutering is the best option to help control population of any breed of animal.I am always very leary to who my babies go home with because i worry about them being responsible in nuetering their pets as well, and that's why I am carefull in who I choose.

If you notice many breeders offer a lower price or a rebate if you nueter your male within a time period or offer low fee's to have it done before the glider is placed. That's the diffrence between many responsible breeders and one's that are not so responsible.

Sorry to ramble but their is my .02 cents smile

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349509
07/29/07 02:57 PM
07/29/07 02:57 PM

G
Ginharrison
Unregistered
Ginharrison
Unregistered
G

I really think that a majority if not all of people on this forum are responsible glider/pet owners or they would not stick around very long. People that are not responsible would not care or take the time to look or take part in these kind of knowledgable discussions.
So with that said I am new to the glider world (about 6 months now)but have had experience with dog, cats, fish, hamsters, gerbles, bearded dragons and now my suggies. I would love to have some babies and hopefully someday I will. If I do I will not make any money from them because I have a couple grandkids that are getting old enough 14 and 16 to be responsible enough to take care of them and they also enjoy them a lot. They always want to come over and visit mine. There parents are also animal lovers just like myself there mother. I am very proud of all of my kids and there pets. All of them are very responsible pet owners!!!

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: BKaylor74] #349510
07/29/07 02:58 PM
07/29/07 02:58 PM

H
HelloSugar
Unregistered
HelloSugar
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: BKaylor74
I think there's a huge difference between a large breeder and a glider mill.

At least the breeders on this board, from what I've seen and read, all seem to care a lot for their gliders. I don't know many of you, but it seems for the most part, people here take care to ensure that every glider born in their establishment is cared for and pampered before being separated from their parents and sold.

When I think of the term mill, regardless of what animal is attached to it, I imagine a warehouse of cages crammed with animals (gliders, in this case) whose sole purpose is to breed and make more gliders. Little, if any, human contact beyond the daily or weekly feeding, watering, etc. No socialization or hand-taming, no space to run and exercise or enjoy life the way they should.

I went to a pet expo last year and actually had the chance to meet one of the so called mill breeders out of Texas (I won't name names). I was very interested in speaking with him and seeing his gliders because of the things I've heard here about him. I really wanted to "see for myself".

He was actually extremely knowledgable about gliders and seemed to really care for them and have a great passion for them. His glider were all extremely personable and seemed to be happy and healthy and very well cared for. Somebody, whether him personally or someone at his home, had clearly nurtured these gliders.

And what really impressed me was that he wasn't pushing to make any sales at all. He was simply educating people about gliders and answering questions. He never mentioned prices or anything about making a sale until I actually asked him about it. Even then, he simply stated his prices and never tried to pressure a sale.

In addition, his prices were a little on the higher end, which is a good thing. It encourages people to give a second thought to what they're spending a large chunk of money on, and to do some research before they make a decision. That way if it seems to be a little more responsibility than they were ready for, they won't spend their money on something that they aren't sure will work out. And if they are still determined to buy a glider, then they will be more prepared by having done some research for embarking on glider ownership.

Sooooo, all in all, I have to say that by speaking with the man, observing him with the public in general, and having the chance to observe and handle his gliders, I didn't see anything out of place.

I'm neither speaking out for or against this particular breeder. I'm just stating my personal encounter with him.

So, if the issue with "mills" is because of how the gliders are housed/treated/brought up, I certainly didn't see any sign of mistreatment here. Ofcourse, I have never been to his facility, but all in all, his gliders seemed to be wonderfully cared for.

Aside from that, I thought that one of the big issues with mills was the sheer amount of glider they breed. In that respect, I'm missing the difference between the "mills" and the respected large scale breeders.

I'm not making an opinion in any case. I just find it to be interesting for personal reasons (because I've studied psychology and sociology). I'd just like to hear other people's thoughts.

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: GliderLove] #349512
07/29/07 03:06 PM
07/29/07 03:06 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Even people who are responsible about getting their dogs and cats neutered seem to think nothing of breeding their hamsters or gerbils. For many people, sadly, this is the pet area where sugar gliders fall. People breed them without even thinking about it or considering the consequences. Worse are the true mill breeders - people who breed them because of greed.

There are true mill breeders - who work VERY hard to promote the impulse buying of sugar gliders. These mill breeders can keep all of our rescue homes completely full - with more coming!

There has been two on-going threads on Animal Craze about these issues.

What makes a breeder a "responsible" breeder?

I think the first step is what Judie said - if you don't know the background of your gliders - DO NOT BREED THEM! If you cannot line up caring, life-time homes for your joeys, DO NOT BREED THEM!

For a long time, I've been posting in a more passive, supportive manner when new-comers arrive on GC and declare that they have a pair and are breeding, or that their pair has joeys IP. I've recently begun taking a more direct approach. I am questioning the origins of the gliders, and the purpose for wanting to breed. If these are pet store gliders, or rescues, or rehomes, or mill bred gliders - in my opinion, it is UNETHICAL to breed them for ANY reason.

These impulse breeders from people who originally were impulse buyers are part of the reason gliders are in rescue homes, and they are little better than mill breeders, in my opinion.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #349519
07/29/07 03:19 PM
07/29/07 03:19 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Well said Valkyriemome! thumb

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: GliderLove] #349534
07/29/07 04:15 PM
07/29/07 04:15 PM

D
doitall48
Unregistered
doitall48
Unregistered
D

as for me and my wife are grand kids wants a glider ans we cant aford one for each at 150 would be about 1200 the thing i want you all to know is that the gliders will not be liveing are house untell the kid knows what it is to take care of them the right way

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349550
07/29/07 04:37 PM
07/29/07 04:37 PM
Walker (56484), Minnesota, USA...
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

Well, if you were just starting out and you had the option, (don't lie to look cool) if you saw a sweet little joey sitting on a table next to an old ornery abused glider that didn't trust anyone, which one would you pick?

Those of you who have had gliders for a while and know what responsibility is about would probably pick the older glider. But for someone new who wants their first glider, they may not be capable of handling a rehomed abused glider. They'd be much better suited to the little joey.

I'm not saying we should all buy joeys, I'm saying that those of you who have the facilities, the experience, and the time for older gliders should definitely take them in (if you are able). The rest of us aren't experienced enough to handle it and we need to get more used to being around easier-going gliders before we can handle a glider that needs special attention.

I really hope I'm making sense..

And it's selfish to say that newbies shouldn't be allowed to have their own gliders. If there were only twenty glider owners in the world, GC would be a very tiny place.

You know what I mean. =P

I wish I could explain it better..

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Luna, Cibil, Newbie (gerbils)
Koda (rescued dog)
Minket & Angel (rescued cats)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Heron (semi-rescued treefrog)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: Shuttershade] #349606
07/29/07 06:03 PM
07/29/07 06:03 PM

G
GizmosGal
Unregistered
GizmosGal
Unregistered
G

Originally Posted By: Shuttershade
And it's selfish to say that newbies shouldn't be allowed to have their own gliders. If there were only twenty glider owners in the world, GC would be a very tiny place.

No one is saying that newbies should not own gliders. The concern is with all the newbies who are jumping into breeding having no clue what they are getting into. Most have not even owned gliders for any amount of time. Some START with a breeding pair and then are posting "Now what?" I don't think that a person should start researching breeding at a point when there are already joeys ip or just oop.

Responsible breeders own gliders for at least a year before they consider breeding. And before that choice is made, they do a ton of research. Do all of these people that are starting to allow their gliders to breed have any idea of the heartbreak in a canabalized joey or the exetremely difficult work involved in hand raising a joey? These things should all be carefully considered before the decision to breed is made. Most people just think it would be cool to have joeys for whatever reason and really have no idea of what is involved.

As Val clarified, pet store gliders, rescues and rehomes should NEVER be bred under ANY cincumstances! I have to say that 75% of the posts I have read lately about breeding are gliders that fall under one of those catagories.

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349647
07/29/07 06:58 PM
07/29/07 06:58 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

Holy moly. o_____o

I never once said that someone said newbies shouldn't be allowed..

I just said it was selfish to say so. o_o

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: Shuttershade] #349665
07/29/07 07:19 PM
07/29/07 07:19 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I don't think it is selfish to say new owners shouldn't breed, Shutter.

It is more selfish of new owners to WANT to breed. It isn't in the best interests of the glider. Not their personal gliders, and not gliders as a species.

In fact, the only reason anyone would breed on impulse is because of selfishness or pride. If they think they are so great that they know everything, and all the bad things happen to other people, but not them, and THEY can handle breeding - that's just vanity. Or ignorance.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #349668
07/29/07 07:23 PM
07/29/07 07:23 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

I meant that new people shouldn't own gliders.. No, new people definitely shouldn't breed them.. But they can own them, can't they? That's how you learn..

Yikes. I'm never posting in one of these ever again. o__o

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: Shuttershade] #349669
07/29/07 07:24 PM
07/29/07 07:24 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

..I didn't even say anything about breeding at all, looking over my posts. o__o

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: Shuttershade] #349671
07/29/07 07:25 PM
07/29/07 07:25 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Why not? You should post - no one is jumping on you or yelling at you. We are all expressing opinions!

If new people never owned gliders then within 15 years there would be no gliders in captivity! Of course new people should own gliders. It is the breeding we were talking about.

So - basically we are in agreement!

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #349675
07/29/07 07:29 PM
07/29/07 07:29 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

I'm confused.
But let's go with that.
XD

If there was no impulse breeding, there would likely be less impulse buying.

Maybe we can all make some sort of law that says that you must take some big long complicated class before you can breed sugar gliders.. Or pass some test about them, and if you don't pass, then you have to take the big long complicated class.
Or you get beheaded. (Not really. I'm trying to be funny.) XD

I think it'd do the world good, but the world doesn't want to listen. I bet lab rats are a higher priority than sugar gliders. 3/4's of the people I meet don't even know what sugar gliders are..

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: Shuttershade] #349684
07/29/07 07:44 PM
07/29/07 07:44 PM

L
LunaHoshino
Unregistered
LunaHoshino
Unregistered
L

The rest of us aren't experienced enough to handle it and we need to get more used to being around easier-going gliders before we can handle a glider that needs special attention.

Not all older gliders are abused or "difficult," though... plenty of them are sweet, loving pets who simply need to be rehomed due to their owner's circumstances changing. Both of my current gliders and Kadabra's late mate are older gliders-- Abra and Kadabra were 5 when I adopted them, and Aphrodite was 3. All of them were wonderful animals with no behavioral issues whatsoever. In fact, I'm actually glad I got older gliders because they were already tame and accustomed to people when I got them. It took me less than two weeks to bond with Abra and Kadabra, and at Kadabra's last wellness check the vet told me that Kadabra was the sweetest suggie he'd ever dealt with.

So older gliders can be just as easy-going as joeys. smile

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: Shuttershade] #349698
07/29/07 08:01 PM
07/29/07 08:01 PM

H
HelloSugar
Unregistered
HelloSugar
Unregistered
H

Maybe we can all make some sort of law that says that you must take some big long complicated class before you can breed sugar gliders.. Or pass some test about them

LOL! I feel that way about humans breeding as well!

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349700
07/29/07 08:02 PM
07/29/07 08:02 PM

T
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
T

roflmao

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #349717
07/29/07 08:28 PM
07/29/07 08:28 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome

It is more selfish of new owners to WANT to breed. It isn't in the best interests of the glider. Not their personal gliders, and not gliders as a species.

In fact, the only reason anyone would breed on impulse is because of selfishness or pride. If they think they are so great that they know everything, and all the bad things happen to other people, but not them, and THEY can handle breeding - that's just vanity. Or ignorance.

Well said ! clap thumb clap

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349741
07/29/07 09:07 PM
07/29/07 09:07 PM

G
Ginharrison
Unregistered
Ginharrison
Unregistered
G

Question for everyone that are posting about this subject.

1.When, where and why did you get your first glider?

2. Then how, why and when did you decide that you new enough about Sugar Gliders to go ahead and breed them?

Thanks just curious!

Re: Why all the breeding ??? [Re: ] #349745
07/29/07 09:10 PM
07/29/07 09:10 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

I do not yet have my first sugar gliders because I am trying desperately to be responsible and learn about them first.

I will never breed sugar gliders because I am too little to handle the responsibility and I have no reason to ever want to. When I get pets, I am satisfied with them and thankful I have them (usually. LOL!). I do not wish to put their lives/lifespans at risk just to make a couple extra bucks.

Now, accidental babies are different. Never again will I ask my brother to sex my rabbits for me. =(

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024