Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I think I need a priest #359462
08/11/07 02:35 PM
08/11/07 02:35 PM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

to excorsize my new angel. I got my anniversary present on Tuesday. She was as sweet as could be let me pet her rub her head.........well she had a 9 hour drive to get to my house so after a little cuddling I put her in her new cage, a few hours later we got her out and put her in the tent.She was great!! played with me then played with my son ate mealies from our hands. Wednesday I didn't want to over do it so we just let her get adjusted. Thursday I put her in a bonding pouch with a window and thats when her head started spinning.....I finally had to turn it around because she bites me through the screen. When shes in her cage and I walk past she doesn't crab she lunges into the side of the cage trying to EAT me she hisses, crabs and lunges like crazy. Her cage has 2 levels last night I opened the top to look down at her and offer her a mealie and she flew out of the pouch slammed right into the metal between the top and bbottom of the cage. I swear shes possessed. I carr y her in a pouch around my neck all day and as long as the screen is on the outside so she can't bite me shes ok but if I look down my shirt and she sees me she trys ripping through the sceen to get to me wwwaaaaa I will love her no matter what but dang I have never seen a glider with isues like this one LOL any ideas???? please help!!!

ohh yea hers a pic of the Angel before she went insane

Attached Files
missy4.JPG (213 downloads)
Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359481
08/11/07 03:29 PM
08/11/07 03:29 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
OMG! She is certainly beautiful!

I have no advice, sorry. I'm working with my own wild children, and have the scars on my hands to prove it!

I'll be watching this thread! I need ideas, too!

Maybe the pouch protective pouch?

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ValkyrieMome] #359483
08/11/07 03:34 PM
08/11/07 03:34 PM
Texas
morksmom Offline
Glider Slave
morksmom  Offline
Glider Slave

Texas
Wow what a beauty..good luck on the exorcism.:)

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359517
08/11/07 04:34 PM
08/11/07 04:34 PM

S
SugarKisses
Unregistered
SugarKisses
Unregistered
S

She is very pretty. tounge

Are you wearing a new perfume or did you use a new body soap, lotion or laundry detergent?? Maybe there is a new scent that she doesnt like. dunno

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359552
08/11/07 05:39 PM
08/11/07 05:39 PM

S
SnuggleBug
Unregistered
SnuggleBug
Unregistered
S

OHHHHHHHH SHE IS SO PRETTY! I want a white beauty! frown

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359562
08/11/07 05:52 PM
08/11/07 05:52 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
I am going to sneak into your house and steal that crabby patty! roflmao I have a thing for gliders with attitude. I love working with them. Dilios has decided that I am BIG and TERRIFYING. He won't tolerate my presence except during tent-time. I'll fix that over time. grin

Treat her like you would any other glider you want to bond with. Set-up a schedule. Gliders seem to adjust well to and respond well to schedules. To keep from stressing her too badly, you can use an every other day bonding routine to give her a day of rest in-between for a little bit, but that's up to you. I try to stick to a strict tough love routine, but I do give them a day off here and there to make sure I'm not scaring them. That isn't the goal. I just want them to trust me.

Talk to her...alot. I mean, gab at her all day while she goes nuts in her pouch or while she's sleeping. Just chitter chatter away. Act as though she isn't crabbing and treat her normally (just watch your fingers!). When she fusses, use the 'psssst' technique to correct her behavior as best as you can for now. She'll learn.

Bribe that little demon! grin Licky treats might not be the best idea in this case. Try something solid first like yogies or mealies to keep your hands safe.

Try to hold her through the pouch. Gradually work up to rubbing her or stroking her through the pouch. Just be more persistent that she is (I know you are!!! roflmao ) and you can win this battle even if she wins a few wars!

Best of luck, Cindy! Congratulations again. I'm so happy for you!

Last edited by StitchsMom; 08/11/07 05:54 PM. Reason: forgot stuff

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: I think I need a priest [Re: StitchsMom] #359570
08/11/07 06:10 PM
08/11/07 06:10 PM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

thank you everyone for the words of wisdom and thank you Jen for a pep talk lol just dont go to far I really might need some help with this one!! remember its all your fault I have glideritis anyway hahaha I just ordered a sissy pouch wooohooo and then bought 2 more from someone from GC so I have tons of pouches and now lots of sissys shes either gonna love me or just get so sick of me that she will learn to tolirate me either way I gonna fight this battle with all I have!! I have found her a cagemate ut now I am worried that maybe I jumped the gun a little and that maybe I should hold off and work more with her I would hate to have her getting better then in 30 days let her have a cagemate and bond with him and hate me all over again. I think I will have lots of questions with this baby girl, and...I am seriously thinking Missy might not do and she might have to be called Reagan I keep watching I think her head does spin!!!

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359608
08/11/07 07:33 PM
08/11/07 07:33 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
I would hold off on a cagemate right away. Gliders learn from each other and you wouldn't want her attitude rubbing off on him. I think it would be best to work with her for awhile and then worry about introducing a cagemate. She should have a good long life ahead of her, so there is so rush to pair her up.

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: StitchsMom] #359645
08/11/07 08:34 PM
08/11/07 08:34 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Cage mate Damien?

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ValkyrieMome] #359744
08/11/07 11:11 PM
08/11/07 11:11 PM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

hahahaha that might be a good name for a mate forher but.Im thinking a cagemate isn't a good chioce for her for quite a while hahaha she is sitting in her cage glaring at me as I type this AAHHhhhh this is true love hehehehe

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359799
08/11/07 11:36 PM
08/11/07 11:36 PM

37creekview
Unregistered
37creekview
Unregistered

you guys are too funny

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359852
08/12/07 12:01 AM
08/12/07 12:01 AM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

LOL Im serious I wish someone lived close to me so I could have a witness to Reagan Im getting ready to get her out and put her in the tent I'll probably be dead in an hour OOhhh yea!!! I won the raffle for the suggie gym and Im gonna take that in there with me ssshhhh don't let her know though she will think of ways to jump on it and attack me but ya know I am changing her name to Reagan and if she ever gets a cagemate it will be Damien just hope I don't find an albino hahaha that would be too freaky a red eyed Damian for Reagan LOLOL

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359872
08/12/07 12:14 AM
08/12/07 12:14 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
maybe she's just mad you haven't added her to your signature wink roflmao

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: BeckiT] #359883
08/12/07 12:21 AM
08/12/07 12:21 AM

37creekview
Unregistered
37creekview
Unregistered

LOL grin

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359950
08/12/07 01:38 AM
08/12/07 01:38 AM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

well you never know you may be right.. so I added her to my signature... peeked in at her......yup shes still possessed...now I'm thinkin maybe she is pouch protective??? I took her out and we did a little bit of time in the tent and she was scared, skiddish but not the psychotic possessed thing that tries to eat me from inside her cage she took a mealie from me (well she had to turn her back to me to eat it) she crawled on my foot sat at my side and just looked up at me then when it was time to go back in her cage i layed her pouch down she crawled right in but when I picked up her pouch to put it back in her cage she went NUTSSSSSSSS I had to close the bag and she attacked the bag biting it.

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ValkyrieMome] #359953
08/12/07 01:43 AM
08/12/07 01:43 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome
Maybe the pouch protective pouch?

Sorry - is this me saying "I told you so"?

No - not really. But I think you could be right. It sounds like her issues aren't with YOU, they are with you touching her pouch!

The protective pouch is really a God-send in working with PP gliders.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ValkyrieMome] #359962
08/12/07 02:04 AM
08/12/07 02:04 AM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

looking up at your past reply~~~~~sigh~~~~~~ why don't I just listen to people trying to help me LOL ok so maybe thats what wrong with her now what? I mean ok I will buy whatever it takes or she needs but then what Alden do you have experience with PP gliders? can you help me .......can ya tell Im desperate what causes this? can it be corrected? will she outgrow it? please please please help me smile smile smile

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359970
08/12/07 02:16 AM
08/12/07 02:16 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Oh Cindy - YES!

I have experience, but no where NEAR the experience others have.

My most pouch protective glider out grew it.

Since you are still working at bonding, I would NOT recommend the pouch protective pouch at this time. She is allowed to have ONE place to call her own. Where her world is safe, and she is still calling the shots. Think of it as the terrible twos - when toddlers say "NO" even when they go ahead and comply. It is a small way of maintaining control and independence.

Once you and she are well into your bonding, chances are she will release her need to control her pouch.

If not - the Pouch Protective Pouch works WONDERS. It allows the glider who needs to be in control to feel in control - because they don't hide down in it. No one can sneak up on them. They can survey their cage and not feel trapped and defenseless.

I'll find the link ... I always forget it. But my very pouch protective glider now sleeps in a regular pouch and lets me reach in and scratch his head any time I want.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ValkyrieMome] #359975
08/12/07 02:18 AM
08/12/07 02:18 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=355696&Searchpage=1&Main=34696&Words=%26quot%3Bpouch+protective+pouch%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post355696

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ValkyrieMome] #359990
08/12/07 02:33 AM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

woohoo between you and Jen I might get this mastered without an exorcism and holy water I was planning on taking her to see Father in the morning and having her blessed just to be on the safe side but it seems maybe she might just be ok LOL I know Im being dramatic about all of this with her but if ya can't have humor with it I might just die having spent a kazillion dollars on this little puff ball who hates me.ok another question I thought about today when I got her they sent me a pouch that smelled like her mommy and the day she got posessed was the day I took that out and replaced it with mine, should I put hers back in? was it to much at once if she is pouch protective did that make it better or worse?

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359992

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

ohh thanx for the thread too!!

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #359997
08/12/07 02:39 AM
08/12/07 02:39 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
If you haven't washed Mama's pouch yet - try putting it back in. It might help her feel more secure, then she wouldn't need to be so defensive.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ValkyrieMome] #360006
08/12/07 03:07 AM
08/12/07 03:07 AM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

think I'll do that right now

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #360027
08/12/07 05:04 AM
08/12/07 05:04 AM

37creekview
Unregistered
37creekview
Unregistered

Cindy- we have a little girl who is like that (getting much better now) and she crabs with such little enthusiasm it just makes us laugh.....I went the opposite route of the pouch and used Alden's advice above - after noticing she was pouch protective, I gave her a pouch to make her feel even more secure....she LOVES it and it has made her come out on her own a lot more (still vocal in pouch) but no more "attacks on the fleece" from the inside....here is is prior to placement and all splayed out....over the first couple nights she will pull everyone of those squares into the pouch...it seems like her nesting behavior is satisfied by this and makes her a little less protective....

Attached Files
snuggle cup(2).bmp (41 downloads)
snuggle cup.bmp (31 downloads)
Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #360247
08/12/07 03:06 PM
08/12/07 03:06 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
You know, I'd rather she be pouch protective than all out MEAN. Pouch protectiveness is just them feeling like their secure spot is being invaded. Once she learns that you mean no harm, she should start to quiet down. I've heard wonders about the PP pouch, but haven't used it myself. Alden can give you some great words of wisdom! thumb

Shoot, maybe I will take a trip out there. I could visit Holly and your little demon! I'd love to see her and maybe a little hands on experience would be good for me! wink

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: StitchsMom] #360262
08/12/07 03:40 PM
08/12/07 03:40 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Cindy, I hear your words & feelings. I've been there. Here's what I did:

My monster's name is Amos. The FIRST thing I did was leave him in his original pouch as LONG as I could. I added little 3" x 3" squares of fleece with MY scent on them to his pouch. I also carried him around a LOT in his bonding pouch.

One trick I learned from Bourbon the first day I got Amos was to apply a SMALL amount of pressure on him when he started "acting up". This told him in glider-ese terms that I AM THE DOMINENT and that his behavior like that WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE. (The dominent gliders sleep on TOP of the colony, and the underlings learn to deal with the pressure of those above them.)(He was a TERRIBLE crabber, so I applied the pressure until he stopped.) After a few days of this, he'd get the hint after a VERY SHORT time to stop his crabbing.

About 6 weeks ago, I started "bra training" with him. Now I'm NO FOOL when it comes to putting a Tasmanian Devil into my bra unprotected, so I made a pouch about 5" long & 4" high to tuck him into BEFORE putting him into my sports bra. It took a few days of "toothpaste rolling" him out of his cage pouch into the bra pouch (it still does some days), then I'd snuggle the pouch into my sports bra. The LONGEST I've gotten him to stay there is about 6 hours (which is DOGGONE GOOD). But promptly at 9:45pm, he starts squirming & crabbing because he wants OUT. I oblige him & put him into his cage for dinner, potty & drink.

What part of Illinois do you live in? Perhaps we could coordinate a visit sometime & I'll show you what you have to look forward to. You need to give your little girl some TIME to get used to her new world & you, but it'll happen.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: I think I need a priest [Re: minkasmom] #360264
08/12/07 03:49 PM
08/12/07 03:49 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
If you washed the pouch, call the people you got her from and ask them if they can mail you some scent blankies in a plastic baggie that smell like momma...little small sqaures...maybe a weeks worth or so...just add a new square every day...maybe closer to the end start skipping a day and see if she is getting better. Also, you can use scent blankies that smell like you, so even in pouch she will have your scent too.

Good luck with the demonette!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: I think I need a priest [Re: cinnamonstix] #360527
08/12/07 11:03 PM
08/12/07 11:03 PM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

Jen your welcome to come anytime!!! Im always home !! and some encouragement will be much welcomed!! Minkasmom I live in Benld Illinois LOL you are welcome too but I dont think Im no where near dropping her even in a bag in my bra she bites me through the bonding pouch lord knows I dont want to feed her anymore of me than needed. I did keep her mommas pouch and didn't wash it its back in her cage and really didn't make a difference. Carried the little princess around all day. She dont crab all day long but she's still showin her love.....on the other hand the new twins are PURE ANGELS!!!

Re: I think I need a priest [Re: ] #360897
08/13/07 12:59 PM
08/13/07 12:59 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I just MapQuested where you are in proportion to me...doggone it, you're a GOODLY distance away aren't you? The only way I could stop in is on the way back from Colorado Springs...and I fear that I'll have the afterburners kicked in to get back to Indiana: my granddaughter MAY be arriving even before Labor Day! Might you be up to meeting me in Terre Haute, IN? (just asking...that'd be about a 3-hour drive one way, but if we have a pleasant autumn Saturday in Sept, that COULD work out)

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: I think I need a priest [Re: minkasmom] #360917
08/13/07 01:54 PM
08/13/07 01:54 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Oh my...

I see some definate misconceptions about pouch protective gliders in this thread. Pouch protective is not that they are PROTECTING their pouch, but trying to protect themselves.

Quote:
She is allowed to have ONE place to call her own. Where her world is safe, and she is still calling the shots.

This is one of the problems. I used to think that they should be allowed to behave in their pouch any which way they choose but see... Here it is...

Gliders crab and bite OUT OF FEAR. It isn't that they are trying to control things, it is for what ever reason, they are afraid. In a regular pouch, they can not see out of it to determine if what they are hearing is a threat to them or not so they assume it is and go beserk. With a (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets, it is open for them to be able to see out of.

With my Chevy and Addison, I didn't think I would ever get those two together because she was such a WITCH! But one day, I just turned her pouch inside out, gently dumping her into Chevy's cage. Guess what... as soon as she was out of the pouch, she was so happy to have a friend. I put the pouch in the cage with them and as soon as she went back in that pouch, she was a demon again. Chevy isn't much better.

So with this pair, they don't get a regular pouch. They have a pouch protective pouch and a toy barn (filled with fleece blankets). The barn has windows they can look out of and I have ZERO problems with them now. bonding pouches MUST have windows too, facing where they can see out. (away from my body) They are just scared that something unseen is going to eat them.

I urge you to read Buffy's Thread . This thread is more of a journal of three gliders who have drastically changed how we are working with the "tough cases". Don't be afraid to contact Shelle, or USMom or BCChins. Their gliders have made such amazing changes all because these three were able to set aside other "proven" techniques and work with their gliders in a new way.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024