Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gliders R Us opinion.... #476756
02/13/08 07:31 PM
02/13/08 07:31 PM

L
luddie
Unregistered
luddie
Unregistered
L

I need your opinion on a breeder I located in Tn called giders r us I have been trying to locate one or two female gliders one for a friend and one for me has anyone bought from this company before ? This is the closest breeder I have found to me (in Arkansas eastern)

Thanks
Luddie

Last edited by KarenE; 02/14/08 01:14 AM. Reason: Title Change
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477068
02/14/08 01:27 AM
02/14/08 01:27 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

I think it's pretty common knowledge that they are a mill breeder. Recently, there were several large posts regarding her practice of selling large numbers of joeys to flea market vendors who were then self neutering, etc.

There are many rescue homes in that area that have available gliders who need forever homes, a lot of them originally came from Gliders R Us and others like them. I currently have 15 rescues and four that I postively know of started out life at the flea markets there.

You can go to a site called all4gliders....they list available rescues by state, etc. I don't have a link since I just got a new laptop and I'm still loading my old stuff, but you can maybe pm Dancing and she can give you some info.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477394
02/14/08 04:56 PM
02/14/08 04:56 PM

B
bingos_mom
Unregistered
bingos_mom
Unregistered
B

I'm sorry, but that post wasn't totally correct, suggie. I personally know this woman and have gotten both of my babies from her. She can be considered a mill breeder, because she has a large number of animals. (Besides, at what point do you go from being a "breeder" to being a "mill breeder"? Couldn't some of the breeders on here be considered "mill breeders" because they have a large number of breeding gliders?) At any rate, she takes very good care of her gliders. She PAYS people to come in every day and play with her gliders, they get lots of hands on attention, and they also feed and clean the glider cages, as she is a school teacher and doesn't have time to do it all by herself. Also, she doesn't sell her babies to flea market vendors. She has these people set up and sell FOR her; and every weekend she drives to her different markets to deliver babies and supplies. They are paid a small amount for every glider they sell, but are also advised not to sell one if they don't think it will be a good home. As for the self neutering, that was in Ohio or Indiana I think, and once she was notified of it, she took steps to try to resolve that issue. I know for a fact this woman presses the point of having a vet do EVERYTHING for a neuter, as well as well exams. She has even closed one of her markets because of complaints of them not taking care of the animals. I have been on GC for a little over 6 months now, and people can sometimes be brutal just because they don't agree with someone, which has almost turned me off GC a couple of times.

But I know first hand this woman takes great care of her babies and tries her best to educate people when they buy them. It's just like any other store owner with employees, you can't always control what your employees are doing.

Again, I got my babies from her and there are several others who got theirs from her and the market that we deal with is wonderful. You can't judge one person by someone else's faults.

Also, you can't blame the breeder because the gliders wound up in rescues. It's very sad they are there, but at some point, the people who actually bought the gliders need to take some of the responsibility for them being there. I for one, was someone who bought my first one, and not knowing anything about them, I was in way over my head because she was wild and had not been handled. Gliders R us took her in and in return I got Bingo. I have recently seen my original glider, and she's totally different glider since Kathy has had her and worked with her. She is in her forever home with Kathy as one of her personal pets.

We can educate people as much as we want we they buy these animals, but some people are not meant to be glider owners, no matter how much they are educated. It takes special people to be able to own, love and care for these animals. I'm proud to say I am one of those special kinds of people!

Last edited by bingos_mom; 02/14/08 05:07 PM. Reason: spell check (duh!)
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477418
02/14/08 05:14 PM
02/14/08 05:14 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

I got Katalina from her a month ago. She's as nice as they come, and her gliders are healthy. Kat is a sweet bra baby, and she's healthy and loving. You can tell she was loved.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477427
02/14/08 05:20 PM
02/14/08 05:20 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
It is still a mill her partner told me Kathy had 600 gliders. that is a MILL!

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: cyndiekb] #477437
02/14/08 05:27 PM
02/14/08 05:27 PM

B
bingos_mom
Unregistered
bingos_mom
Unregistered
B

So what if she's a mill? She takes care of each and every one of them. It shouldn't matter if she has 6 or 600. Numbers don't matter, but no one seems to want to listen to the overwhelming good points of Gliders R Us, everyone wants to dwell on one bad thing (the self neutering, which was very disturbing to me and I asked her about it up front before I ever bought my baby from her), and the numbers (600).

She is still a person who cares about these animals and does all she can to make sure they are well cared for when they go home. Right now, I could call her any time of day or night, or the girl in Somerset who I actually bought the glider from , and they will know who I am, which glider I got, and they are more than willing to help me with ANY questions, no matter how mundane. Kathy is very knowledgeable, as much as any one else on here. No one is ever going to agree 100% on ANYONE else's practices.

I could go on a tangent about rescues, if I wanted to be that kind of person. Yes they are AWESOME people and I'm so glad there are people out there who take in these unwanted pets, however, when it's going to cost you $200 or $300 to "adopt" a rescue, I would rather buy a joey and not inherit *possibly* someone else's problem.

"mill" is not necessarily a bad thing, it's all in how you run it and how the gliders are treated.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477470
02/14/08 05:54 PM
02/14/08 05:54 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: bingos_mom

I could go on a tangent about rescues, if I wanted to be that kind of person. Yes they are AWESOME people and I'm so glad there are people out there who take in these unwanted pets, however, when it's going to cost you $200 or $300 to "adopt" a rescue, I would rather buy a joey and not inherit *possibly* someone else's problem.

"mill" is not necessarily a bad thing, it's all in how you run it and how the gliders are treated.

This is So disturbing to me ! There are gliders in rescues because of breeding mills that have 600 gliders ! There is NO way to tell if a person would be a good glider owner after talking to them for 15 minutes at a trade show or swap meet, therefor I'm sure a number of gliders that come from her MILL are now in the rescues being 'Someone else's problem' shakehead

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477487
02/14/08 06:17 PM
02/14/08 06:17 PM
Columbia, SC
saturngirl Offline
Glider Slave
saturngirl  Offline
Glider Slave

Columbia, SC
Glider mills are as bad in my opinion like dog mills & any other animal mills. These animals live in horrific conditions and are breed constantly.

People who rescue suggies are WONDERFUL people for doing so. Rescue gliders are normally great babies that just need a 2nd chance. From what I understand rescues are free but you have to fill out an application for approval to have one.

Wow bingos mom...you don't want to inherit someone else's problem and mills aren't a bad thing.

Mill animals deserve to have a nice home and have a chance at a wonderful life.

Last edited by saturngirl; 02/14/08 06:24 PM.

*~*Tara*~*
5~suggies "mini" Cooper & Sophie
Paisley, Maci & Smurf
2 ~cats Kia and Gabby~
1 ~silly puppy Darci~

Rest in Peace Chili Pepper dog...you will always have a special place in my heart

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477494
02/14/08 06:33 PM
02/14/08 06:33 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
Even if they are as healthy as you say, are they really getting the enjoyment they could out of life?

I'd be willing to bet that they are not played with anywhere near as much as a small breeder's gliders are (if at all..), they're cages are probably the minimum (if that..), they probably have very few toys (if any..), and I could go on and on.

I do not see how anyone can justify a mill being a good thing. It's obvious that this lady is doing it for the money, she doesn't have the time for her gliders so she has other people to do it for her. Where would be the enjoyment in that? How is selling at a flea market or trade show EVER a good thing? I think Melissa sums it up very well:

Originally Posted By: Melissa2721
This is So disturbing to me ! There are gliders in rescues because of breeding mills that have 600 gliders ! There is NO way to tell if a person would be a good glider owner after talking to them for 15 minutes at a trade show or swap meet, therefor I'm sure a number of gliders that come from her MILL are now in the rescues being 'Someone else's problem' shakehead

Yes, the new owners do need to own up to their mistakes and impulsiveness, but they would not have been subjected to it if a MILL had not been there pushing a sale. People selling gliders in public places do so because it's a money maker, easy way to make a quick sale. That is why they end up in rescues; the mill breeders start the problem by allowing their joeys to go to someone who has no idea what to do with them.

IMO, I do not think that anyone with that amount of gliders, just pumping them out by the hundreds like that, could truly care about gliders. First of all, they don't care where they come from. They don't care where they go to. They don't care about the hundreds of rescued gliders (from other mills or the original one itself) waiting for a home, with their joeys taking the places of gliders who NEED it. (And, as a side note to bingos_mom, I've never heard of a true rescue home charging that much money for a rescued glider. Many good ones that I know of will give them away) They don't care that a new owner couldn't possibly learn all they need to know about glider care in the time they spend at their booth, and that they probably won't even think to do more research.

There's so much more I could say, but, bottom line - if you know better, DON'T ever buy from a mill. Why support such awful breeding practices? If you do, you are part of the problem, causing innocent gliders to live miserable lives if they aren't dying from deplorable conditions.

ETA: I apologize luddie..I kind of went off on a tangent there. I just wanted to point out how mill gliders are treated. To answer your original question, I STRONGLY urge you not to buy from them.

Last edited by glidergrl1513; 02/14/08 06:46 PM.
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: saturngirl] #477496
02/14/08 06:36 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
Ok i know there is alot of conterversy over gliders r us. I think it really depends on which flea market u go to. I live in bg ky and the gliders r us here are good people. The gliders are all healthy and they take good care of them. I know them and they are nice people. I have not been to where they get the gliders from but i was told any time i want to go just let them know and they would be glad to take me and give me a tour. They said while she used to have large numbers she has cut down alot and she cares for her gliders alot. Now while the people i know here take good care and are good people that does not mean there are not others who are selling her gliders at other markets that are bad. The only thing i dont like is she breeds in such large numbers and i strongly urge u not to buy from her if u want to breed. U can not track the linage and it is just not responsable.

Now for just having as pets i have hardly seen any gliders there(bg ky)(im up there every sun)that are not friendly and well bonded. There will be a few there that have been scared and nippy but i always grab them up and work with them while im there as well as i have seen them comforting the few scared ones.

Everyone will have there diff opinions on this but i think from what iv seen they are very wel cared for and socolized. I will come this spring take them up on the offer and go visit the breeders site.

Please dont take this the wrong way i do not condone mill breeding but there are gliders out there in horrid conditions by people with only a few breeding pairs. Again i do not condon mill breeding and i dont recomend getting gliders from there if u want to breed.

The one by me always goes to great langths to make sure pairs that are sold are not related.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: saturngirl] #477497

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

I don't think that's what bingos mom is trying to say at all. Don't misconstrue; there's no point in arguing over beliefs as it gets us nowhere. She never said mills weren't bad- it all depends on how the animals are treated that makes it a mill. In my opinion, "mill" implies bad treatment AND numbers, but that's just me. Otherwise, it's "mistreatment", or it's a "breeding practice". Kathy is a breeder, but I don't believe that gliders like my sweet and healthy Kat come from mills. Gliders that are sweet with health problems, or gliders that are healthy with temperament problems are the norm. It would be a funny thing indeed if it were a mill, seeing as I saw 4 healthy gliders that day.

Kathy was recommended to me by a local owner, she helped me greatly, and at her location, there were only 4 healthy babies. I had to sign a contract, and take her to the vet to ensure that she was healthy before Kathy would give her to me.

Honestly, I believe that you would prefer a joey, also, if it were the same price. C'mon now, a healthy joey for $200, or an unhealthy, skittish, older and less socialized adult for the same price? I can understand wanting to save sugar gliders, it's as noble a cause as any... but I don't think one should have to sacrifice their happiness (with the glider)to do it. If you aren't happy with the glider you get, how happy is that glider going to be?

My dogs are both rescues, and they are the best dogs in the world, IMO. But I also loved the lab that I got from a breeder. It's a matter of personal preference, not cruelty, that determines who should get what animal. A rescue may be right for you, but not right for another.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: saturngirl] #477498
02/14/08 06:38 PM
02/14/08 06:38 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
The original poster is new to the glider world and only asked for an opinion on whether or not to purchase from this particular breeder. Look at her post count, please.

She has not been around long enough to understand all the other information being thrown out.

If you wish to continue discussions of mills or anything other than her original question, please start another thread.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: KarenE] #477511
02/14/08 06:57 PM
02/14/08 06:57 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Apologies- I just got back online to answer that question, because I realized that I hadn't.

I say it's up to you, even though I got mine from her, and she's a sweetheart, I believe that you should only do what you're comfortable with. If you are uncomfortable with a large breeder, no. If you are, then she's great, but you could probably get them cheaper if you searched hoobly.com or something similar.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477521
02/14/08 07:12 PM
02/14/08 07:12 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

OP, just think of it this way.. If you are looking for a healthy glider (from what others have said, gliders r us takes care of their glider) you COULD buy one from there... But this is where your own personal ethics come in..

I do not believe in ANYONE who breed ANY ANIMAL, espcially ones that are already over populated in rescues, should have that amount of animals.. It reminds me of a show i watched on animal planet called CAT PEOPLE.. it was about people who breed and show cats.. now that is all find and great, but one person had 40+ cats!! Now, he had that many cats because he was hoping that out of the 40, he would have 6 or 7 show quality cats.. TO ME, THIS IS WRONG.. all of his cats were VERY VERY clean, very well fed,but they lived in cages (i dont think cats should be caged) AND he was just ADDING to the overpopulation..

So the decision lies within yourself. Ask yourself what is important to you. I'm not saying that as a new glider owner you have to go and rescue (rescues arent for everyone) BUT there ARE other breeders out there that do it responibly and keep their numbers to a minimum so that they, themselves are never over populated..

I hope this helps.. No one can really answer this question for you.. but if you look at the facts, you should beable to answer it.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477544
02/14/08 07:35 PM
02/14/08 07:35 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
North_Nocturne Offline
Glider Lover
North_Nocturne  Offline
Glider Lover

Cincinnati, Ohio
Gliders R Us is a mill. They distribute their sugar gliders to flea markets in many different states. They have booths at two of the flea markets in my area. There was an investigation and it was confirmed that someone who worked for the owner of Gliders R Us was taking male joeys out into the parking lot of the flea market and was neutering them right there with a knife, without anesthesia or a sterile environment. She did this for $50 per glider. They were shut down for a period of time because of these violations by flea market management and were forced to pay a fine.

Elizabeth
gliders. Nocturne & Lark
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: North_Nocturne] #477640
02/14/08 09:47 PM
02/14/08 09:47 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Interesting, North Nocturne, I didn't know that. But the girl I got from her is much sweeter than the boy I got from Priscilla Price.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #477675
02/14/08 10:22 PM
02/14/08 10:22 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Ya, I wouldn't trust them since it's a mill. There's just no way a mill can give adequate attention to all of the suggies and adequate care for them either. Are you absolutely sure there are no other breeders in Arkansas? >.< If worse comes to worse, there's always shipping or rail roading. dunno

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: Kiiru] #477688
02/14/08 10:35 PM
02/14/08 10:35 PM

B
bingos_mom
Unregistered
bingos_mom
Unregistered
B

That is true Nocturne, but that was unknown to Kathy, and she does not and did not condone that practice at ALL. The woman who was doing this has been dealt with and she is gone. I stick by my original stand, Kathy is a "mill" as everyone says, but she takes very good care of her babies. And, she's not like some other "mill breeders" who have been discussed on these boards. At least she does give good advice and all the correct info on these animals to people buying them. And again, you can't blame a mill for animals in rescue. There is no database that says, yes, these were all from a mill breeder. I'm sure there's a good mix of gliders from mill breeders, small time breeders, and accidental breeders. It's impossible to be 100% sure everytime you place an animal that they are going to stay there.

And if anyone misconstrued my comments about rescues, I DID NOT mean to put them down, I think it's wonderful. I was simply making a point that anyone can choose to take offense to anyone else, no matter what.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #478494
02/15/08 07:26 PM
02/15/08 07:26 PM

L
Litlredneckmama
Unregistered
Litlredneckmama
Unregistered
L

The lady that was doing the neutering is not gone, she is still there. I can't believe that she is still working with Kathy. What kind of a breeder is she? Why would you let someone work with your sugar gliders when you know what she does to them. I know that now she does not neuter at the flea market now, instead she drives down the road and does it at her hotel that she stays at or up the road to a restaurant and does it. This is absolutely uncalled for. There are vets that can do this for you. I have seen the cages the suggies are in and they are absolutley nasty. She never does a scrub down on them. And she is all lies. She will sell you sugar gliders that she says she has rescued and they have been together since day one. I have seen her do this, when in all actually the gliders were just paired up that day. She buys them for $75.00 then turns around and sell them for $200.00 each. What is that about? I have been there and seen her do this. I have also seen people give her their sugar gliders for absolutely no money and she turns around and sells them for $200.00 each. Now, why would you do that? They were free to her why does she keep selling them at full price. She is just an out right liar and deciever. She is the worlds worst person and she needs to be put out of business. I'm not talking about Kathy, it's the lady with black hair that works for her that is very bad!!

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: KarenE] #478504
02/15/08 07:35 PM
02/15/08 07:35 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Originally Posted By: KarenE
The original poster is new to the glider world and only asked for an opinion on whether or not to purchase from this particular breeder. Look at her post count, please.

She has not been around long enough to understand all the other information being thrown out.

If you wish to continue discussions of mills or anything other than her original question, please start another thread.

If this notice continues to be ignored we will have to lock this thread.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: LSardou] #487747
02/26/08 08:07 AM
02/26/08 08:07 AM
Tennessee
F
fliptout Offline
Glider Lover
fliptout  Offline
Glider Lover
F

Tennessee
Luddie, I personally know Kathy and i have been to her house many times. She does have 100 gliders not 600. she takes very good care of her gliders they get fresh fruit and veggies.I would recommend her at SugarGlidersrus.
they are handled and loved.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: fliptout] #487752
02/26/08 08:45 AM
02/26/08 08:45 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Wow, 100 gliders? Yikes!!! How can one handle that many on a daily basis???

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #487777
02/26/08 09:54 AM
02/26/08 09:54 AM

P
phayzed
Unregistered
phayzed
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: bingos_mom
That is true Nocturne, but that was unknown to Kathy, and she does not and did not condone that practice at ALL. The woman who was doing this has been dealt with and she is gone.

No she's not. I was just there two weekends ago.

Edit to add: I personally would NOT buy from Gliders R Us. She is indeed a mill. I, like North_Nocturne, live by two of her markets that sell gliders here in Ohio. Not only did the neutering thing happen, but they knew nothing of any kind of diet, told ME PERSONALLY that gliders did not need vet checks, they sell edible huts and wired metal wheels...etc. IMO, they're just after $$$$$$$$$$$.

Last edited by phayzed; 02/26/08 09:56 AM. Reason: Added!
Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #487791
02/26/08 10:17 AM
02/26/08 10:17 AM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

Luddie there are many wonderful breeders here on GC. You just need to talk to a few and they can help you with whatever you are looking for. Every glider is different and with getting a glider from a small breeder they would be able to place you with a glider that you would be able to bond with. Don't get me wrong the joey might and probably will crab at you only because he is scared. Just like a new puppy that cries at night when you first bring him home. Just give your new glider time, attention and love and he will love you more than you will know.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #487843
02/26/08 11:56 AM
02/26/08 11:56 AM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Are we even talking about the same person? phayzed, the Kathy I'm thinking of *required* me to take Kat in for a vet check to make sure that there was nothing wrong with her. She also made me sign a contract. And the wheels, foods, cages, etc. that she sold were adequately priced and proper for gliders. I don't necessarily *recommend* her now that I know she's a large scale breeder, but she did not do anything that might tip off a mill breeder.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #487875
02/26/08 12:30 PM
02/26/08 12:30 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

I think since you care enough to ask, I care enough to give my honest opinion which is to not buy from them and instead perhaps try to find a different small scale hobby breeder (a lot of them DO ship!). It is hard to state why without bashing mills and going into detail about why, though (esp w/o violating rules!). (Speaking of which, Mods, I apologize if this is not an appropriate response. I tried to give as much reasoning as I could without bashing or going off topic!) I would say take all the info given in this thread and just think on it - no quick descisions, now! For me it would come down to this: Yes, she may take care of her gliders, but where do the gliders all end up in comparison to small scale breeders that can take the time to carefully screen each buyer and carefully place each glider?? The biggest difference to me, IMO, is that small personal "hobby" breeders don't do it for the money, as they don't end up really making ANYTHING (the good ones spend more than they make by far!), whereas a larger scale breeder does in fact do it for the business purposes of making money. Due to the fact that this type of breeder depends on a lot of sales so they can make a profit (which is what you're in it for if you breed that large scale, IMO), it's safe to assume a LOT of the buyers are not well educated and/or make impulse buys, which is NOT ideal when buying any pet, let alone a fairly high-maintenance exotic pet! Many people on this board have experience with the MANY ABUSED and NEGLECTED animals/gliders that come from large scale breeding facilies (whether they're clean and well run or not!) due to the fact that they are sold such large scale they cannot carefully place each glider or educate each owner, so they usually don't stay in their first home for very long - or their second, or third... fourth..etc. Plus, if you're breeding that large scale, are there really enough GOOD FOREVER homes available for this type of pet? Or is this type of breeder just contributing to an ever growing problem? So for me it would come down to whether or not to support that kind of operation - one that seemingly at some point leads to an overwhelming number of rescue gliders needing GOOD EDUCATED FOREVER homes. Are there enough homes for all these "turnouts" as well as all the new gliders coming from the breeder? No. And there's the problem! The owners of R-us MAY in fact care a great deal for their gliders, and they may in fact be well cared for, but it's my opinion that they are not ideal. Also, the great thing about a personal hobby breeder is they usually know EVERYTHING about the joey come adoption time - not only that they know the parents inside and out, too! They can tell you the temperment and habbits of the glider - and that really does mean a lot! I mean if you think about it - would you rather get a puppy from a glass tank at a pet store? Or from a home where you go in and see the parents, see the environment, are free to ask any and all questions, hear stories, watch it in it's natural environment first, etc. ? HTH - good luck either way!

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #487886
02/26/08 12:52 PM
02/26/08 12:52 PM

N
NickieDo
Unregistered
NickieDo
Unregistered
N

I have not had personal dealings with her, other than the person that maintains her website asked to use some of my pictures on her site.

My gliders did not come from her though.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #488045
02/26/08 04:02 PM
02/26/08 04:02 PM

P
phayzed
Unregistered
phayzed
Unregistered
P

Mio.

The wheels they sell ARE NOT proper for gliders. They sell the wired wheels that have little holes in them, the entire wheel is nothing but holes. They sell those because "The pee and poop just fall right through! It's so nice!" ..nice until a toe gets taken off. Or a tail. Whatev.

The food they sell and recommend are PELLETS. How is that okay? They do sell yogies and dried fruit, but they recommend dry pellets for diet. With an occasional boiled egg or broiled chicken.

Oh gosh. I can't get into this again. I refuse to be banned AGAIN over this issue.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #488284
02/26/08 08:52 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

The food she recommended was her own diet, a blend of lots of fruits, veggies, etc. Yeah, she sold pellets, but as a staple. And the wheel she had there was actually NOT the wired kind. It was the good kind that is safe for gliders.

Re: Gliders R Us opinion.... [Re: ] #488286

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Sorry, I got OT again. Apologies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024