Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) #676642
11/18/08 08:16 PM
11/18/08 08:16 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Bourbon has taken my under her patagium and is teaching me how to handle my most pouch protective glider. I've had Shadow a month and he was coming around a bit....

Then yesterday my pouch protective pouch arrived at my door and Bourbon taught me how to use it. Today I am seeing a different glider. I posted this elswhere, but wanted to start a post where I could update my progress and add all the new tips I learn smile

Lesson 1: Using the Pouch Protector Pouch and how to calm your glider

The pouch needs to be near the door so you can reach right in and be in their pouch. It should be open at the top about 5 or 6 inches wide. It should look like a V when you look in the cage.

Everything they can hide in or under needs to come out of the cage. I even had to remove the wheel (for now) because they were hiding behind it.

The purpose of the open pouch is so that the glider can see all around the room and be able to identify all the sounds. Being able to see what is going on makes everything alot less scary.

She compared it to a child who has never been outside and now something is knocking at the door, pretty scary cause who knows what is out there! If the glider is in the open then sights and sounds are connected and he feels more comfortable with his surroundings.

I had been going "slow" with Shadow, literally moving slowley with my hand so I did not startle him. I found out today that this is the worng way, I should do the oppisite! Pet him before he has time to be afraid or crab!

It makes so much sense! I need to move fast and "just do it"! She explained that as he sees me coming it gives him all the time in the world to decide to bite me lol.

Another important thing we talked about was how to calm him down. When petting him I can never pull away when he crabs, just place my hand on him until he stops, fingers by his bottom. She also gave me a neat trick to try once he is okay with the bonding pouch, bringing him in close to me and hold firmly (but not tight) humming "Silent Night".

So my "assignment" is to go pet him many times a day in the pouch, be consistant. No chasing around the cage, if he leaves the pouch I will wait till he goes back and try again later. Lots of petting under and over. We are taking a break from the bonding bag and focusing on getting over the fear. Each day he makes it thru with no crabbing the pouch goes a little closer together, the goal being someday a normal pouch. I am excited to see how Shadow reacts to my new methods! Thanks again Bourbon!

Shadow has already made AMAZING progress! He has only crabbed at me twice today! I am so happy and I cannot believe how fast the Pouch protector pouch really works!

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #676644
11/18/08 08:21 PM
11/18/08 08:21 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Phase 2 is licky treats. I have always given dried fruit treats and worms, thinking licky treats would make the glider bite more. Today I learned that the licky treats are better because you don't want the glider to associate teeth with you. Again, it makes so much sense, I never thought about it like that though!

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #676689
11/18/08 09:48 PM
11/18/08 09:48 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

erin could you tell what shadow was like AT THE TIME I started working with you so others can keep track of your progress

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: Bourbon] #676704
11/18/08 10:22 PM
11/18/08 10:22 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

This is great!!! I am already learning and I haven't even gotten the special pouch yet!!!

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: Bourbon] #676728
11/18/08 11:17 PM
11/18/08 11:17 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Originally Posted By: Bourbon
erin could you tell what shadow was like AT THE TIME I started working with you so others can keep track of your progress

Sure thing thumb Shadow was very crabby in his pouch still, he would crab when I touched it and tried to put my hands inside of it. I would pet him and sooth him and he would stop after a bit, but would start up again frequently as I carried him around. He would be quiet some of the time I carried him, but only if he wasn't being bothered.

He was also starting to jump on me in the tent and come to me for treats and to check me out. He even had even climbed over my hand a couple times. I was able to pet him without him running away a couple times (the first time I posted a video of it). So he was at the point of starting to be curious about me and trusting me a little bit. He was still very flighty though and would usually run off from me when I wanted to pet him or trying to have him on me.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #676760
11/19/08 12:35 AM
11/19/08 12:35 AM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
I have literally spent HOURS reading today about the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets - starting w/Buffy and I am overwhelmed with the response from the people AND the gliders!

Erin, did the subject ever come up about a cage cover? We keep a blanket over ours (with the front left open) but I'm assuming if the idea is to let them see around everything, that when I start this I should not keep the cage covered any longer.

I too avoid licky treats. I'm afraid because of the natural instincts that when the treat is gone the teeth will come to puncture my finger to get more treat! Guess I'll just have to be fast to get out just at the moment the treat gets lapped up.

I have had GREAT success with humming. Can't say I use any song in particular, just humming a tune. But it is always sort of low and slow like Silent Night would be!!!!!! The crabbing stops sooner when I hum I notice.

I haven't started using the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets yet. My husband would kill me if I spent another dime on these gliders, especially now before Christmas. He absolutely adores them, but for 3 years we've delt with back-to-back surgeries and lay-offs, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc, just can't seem to get caught up. Right now I'm just taking advantage of all the free knowledge I can soak in!!!!!!!!!

Erin, you must be so excited about your progress already with Shadow and I know you'll be forming a following! I know I will be keeping up with you guys. It warms my heart to see such dedication to improving the quality of life we share with these little marPOOPials. heart

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: DirtyPaws] #676771
11/19/08 12:48 AM
11/19/08 12:48 AM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

please call me, my number is in your PM

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: DirtyPaws] #676773
11/19/08 12:49 AM
11/19/08 12:49 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Quote:
I too avoid licky treats. I'm afraid because of the natural instincts that when the treat is gone the teeth will come to puncture my finger to get more treat! Guess I'll just have to be fast to get out just at the moment the treat gets lapped up.

When Shelle first started with Buffy, she would put the yogurt (Buffy's favorite licky treat) on the handle end of a wooden spoon. The wooden spoon won't hurt the glider's teeth and saves you from getting your fingers bleeding. At first, Buffy would bite the spoon but she quickly learned that it didn't feel very good yet she still got a tasty treat. After just a couple of days, a popsicle stick was used. Only after Buffy didn't "strike first" but gently took the yogurt off the stick did Shelle try it with her finger.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: DirtyPaws] #676775
11/19/08 12:51 AM
11/19/08 12:51 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
That did not come up actually, I will have to ask. I do have a cage cover, but with where my cage is they wouldn't see anything more really without it cause its in the corner and next to a bookshelf.

I think having the entire front of the cage open would be better though so they could see more.

Yeah I think a fast reload of licky treats will keep your fingers safe smile

The PP pouch is just $5, and soooo worth it. I understand where you are coming from tho, hope you can get yours soon! Bourbon told me if I hadn't had the pouch she would have had me create a make shift one...maybe there is something you could whip up in the meantime...I bet you could cut a piece of fleece to mimic it or something...

I am super excited jump

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #676784
11/19/08 01:02 AM
11/19/08 01:02 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Here is the former crabby pants in our new favorite pouch smile My camera cord was chewed by the pup or I would make a video :/

This is how the pouch is hung:

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #676794
11/19/08 01:27 AM
11/19/08 01:27 AM

N
natalia305
Unregistered
natalia305
Unregistered
N

How does a pouch protective pouch work?

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: ] #676805
11/19/08 01:44 AM
11/19/08 01:44 AM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
Yeah, I have a little no-sew idea. But I also didn't realize the PP pouch was only $5. I swear I read somewhere $15. But again I was reading so much my contacts were STUCK together. Kinda like they are now..............

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll try bare finger lickies first and if I get bit I'll use Buffy's spoon!

Natalia, I'm going to let someone more experienced guide you to all the right information!!!!!

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: DirtyPaws] #676808
11/19/08 01:55 AM
11/19/08 01:55 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
With shipping it is about 12 or 13 I think maybe...

Natalia, the pouch gives the glider the ability to see the sounds that are frightening to him in the pouch. It is very open and they can see all around the room. They then are not frightened by the noises in the room or someone approaching the pouch when they can identify them.

The idea is that I will come into the pouch frequently and pet him and he will be fine. I will stay with him(with my hand over him/touching him) through any crabbing until he learns that it is okay for me to come in the pouch and touch him. When he feels safe and secure in his pouch, he will no longer crab.

Each day I pet Shadow and he doesn't crab I will move the pouch closer to being "closed", working towards a normal pouch.

Right now I am focusing on the fear Shadow has and building trust. I will be working my way step by step to getting him out of the cage. The way Bourbon is teaching me nd walking me through it will be a natural progression. HTH

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #676811
11/19/08 02:00 AM
11/19/08 02:00 AM

N
natalia305
Unregistered
natalia305
Unregistered
N

Can you maybe tell me how to make one?

Milo tends to be a little pouch protective.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: ] #676851
11/19/08 08:33 AM
11/19/08 08:33 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Actually Natalia, the maker of the protective pouch (Karen at http://www.thepamperedglider.com/ ) and a LOT of other people discouraged me from trying to make one myself. The thing that makes the pouch unique is what it is made out of, and apparently the material is almost impossible to find and VERY expensive! Check out the thread concerning making your own here...

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...ches#Post676701

After a LOT of explaining and a LOT of debating on my part, I have decided to order the original Pouch Protective Pouch. The small cost just seems worth it after having read everyone's success stories!

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: ] #676871
11/19/08 09:33 AM
11/19/08 09:33 AM

N
natalia305
Unregistered
natalia305
Unregistered
N

I understand what you are saying, but when you live in South Africa, the small cost suddenly turns really HUGE. (shipping, exchange rate, etc)
I had to save up for a Wodent wheel for three months frown

So was kind of hoping I could make one myself.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: ] #677041
11/19/08 03:11 PM
11/19/08 03:11 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Todays assignment is to take them out in the bonding pouch for about an hour or longer.

I am to use the humming/holding close technique to calm them and I will also be "making" them crab a bit (by moving pouch/touching them on outside of pouch) so we can practice the calming technique.

After a we establish the routine of crabbing and calming down, the idea is that they should become conditioned to where they will not crab when jostled or disturbed.

I also am going to start to try to slide one hand underneath them when petting and spend longer amounts of time petting them.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #677045
11/19/08 03:22 PM
11/19/08 03:22 PM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
You go girl!!!!!! hug2

So is Shadow not a biter?

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: DirtyPaws] #677109
11/19/08 05:39 PM
11/19/08 05:39 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

LOL yes shadow does nip a bit..

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: Bourbon] #677127
11/19/08 06:19 PM
11/19/08 06:19 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Yup I was bit about twenty times between the three of them yesterday when giving licky treats. My finger was smarting a little but no blood at least wink They are taking a little while to understand the licky treat. At first they swatted my finger, tried to bite it and then as a last resort decided to lick.

I have them in the bonding pouch now, Shadow is crabbing his head off but the humming seems to be working. The first time it took longer, but now 30 minutes later he usually quiets after only a few seconds. I only have to hum "silent" and by the end of the word he is usually quiet. As soon as he is jostled he starts again, so I have been humming for the last 30 minutes but it works!

Okay time to get my hand back into the pouch smile

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: SugareeErin] #677136
11/19/08 06:42 PM
11/19/08 06:42 PM
Buckeye, AZ
Athena26 Offline
Glider Lover
Athena26  Offline
Glider Lover

Buckeye, AZ
I have 3 gliders but only one that will bit right away if touhed. They are all run from me and i have tried working with them but i dont seem to make any progress would the pp pouch help with all 3? my little girl wanda is the worst I cant even get her into a bonding pouch. any advise would be appreciated.

Amanda
sons Tristan and Tyler
2 dogs: Kya,Sky, and Alf
3 cats: Mimi, Nermal, Boo
2 guina pigs chewy and squeek
2 gliders Abby and Ziva
stained glass web page at http://www.freewebs.com/troublecat and https://www.etsy.com/shop/Troublecatglass?ref=seller-platform-mcnav
Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more :) [Re: Bourbon] #677157
11/19/08 07:18 PM
11/19/08 07:18 PM

H
hollysmom
Unregistered
hollysmom
Unregistered
H

Please forgive my punctuation I'm on my blackberry. I got Marley a year ago last October and from the day I brought her home I thought she hated me.I tried intros with 2 seperate cagemates at different times. She fought with her cage mates broke her tail had to have it amputated. I seriously decided she was a lost cause. I neverrrr held her in my hands not even once. Then a few weeks ago in a converstaion with Bourbon I brought her up. She said I will have you holding her in a week. Ya ya ya Bourbons nuts. She said give me a week and she will be in your hand I thought I would try her tricks for the heck of it.She said she don't hate you she's afraid so I had to set a goal. It was to make her not afraid anymore. Not to have a cuddler just to have a calm glider Yes Bourbon I have the pouch. Tried it before it don't work. Hahahaha. No one ever told me HOW to use it until that night on the phone. Day 1 she evil eyed me but not as much. Day two took licky treats but was calmer. Day 3 I got the flu so kept my distance but tried to let her know I was still around.Day 6 hey there's the snack lady. There is alottttt more to this story and a lot of things Bourbon had me do that I would love to share but long story short about 9/10 days later SHE IS SITTING on my arm. I'm not saying she is gaga over me but she's a different glider. She is no longer scared. She don't crab lunge she will come out on my arm. I truely thought she was going to be a caged glider and I did all I could do. I have 3 of these pouches and have put the other 2 in breeding cages. So the joeys will learn to see me right off the bat and not be hidden by mom and dad down in a dark hole.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: ] #677197
11/19/08 08:44 PM
11/19/08 08:44 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Originally Posted By: natalia305
How does a pouch protective pouch work?

this is the story I tell regarding these pouches, I know I am late but.. oh well. the key factor is to put yourself into the mind frame of your glider.

Quote:
Imagine a young child growing up in a room with no windows, every time he comes out of the room, something chases him or tries to catch him , (Imagine someone grabbing you everytime you leave your room) He hears sounds and movements outside of his room, outside of his immediate environment, he is scared, he doesn't know what exactly those sounds are or means. To him, it only means someone wants to get him. So he does the only thing he knows, he protects himself and his immediate area.. (his room) . He knows what is there, he feels safe there, he will not let anyone or anything invade that room.

Now apply this same concept to your glider in it's pouch. Keep in mind, I am only going to speak of the pouch protective gliders at this point. While in the pouch, pouch protective gliders are already afraid, once they hear the initial sounds. (The room door opening), his heart starts to beat, when his cage door is then opened he is much more afraid, at this point he may or may not crab, but his adrenaline is already starting to pump. When that huge hand enters his pouch or the pouch is moved , he has has plenty of time by now to work himself up to ultimate fear, at this point he is terrified. The only defense he has is his crabbing and his teeth. Keep in mind all gliders may react differently, some may crab, till they realize it is you, (something that is familiar), some may continue to crab, some may crab and lunge, some may crab and lunge and bite, some may only lunge and bite. If you think of it this way and place yourself in that same mind frame as your glider, you will soon see and feel and truly understand his reactions.

This is step one of any trust building process, understanding, sympathizing and empathizing, placing yourself in the mind frame of your glider.

Now if we take that same child, and put his room on the front porch, where he can see and identify those sounds, where he sees people walk by, where he sees people coming in and out of his area, but not making advancements on him. Those sounds, those movements now becomes part of his environment, they become the norm for him. Yes he will be afraid a little at first, but then he will see there is no reason to be afraid. soon when he hears a sound he will only look up to see what it is, He will be able to see down the road, in each yard. so he will soon learn what the normal sounds are and the normal traffic in each yard is.

This is what the pouch protective pouch does for your glider, it opens their environment up to not only it's pouch (child's room) but to it's cage (child's yard), to it's room (child's neighborhood) it will learn to identify the normal sounds, and movements for as far as it can see.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: Bourbon] #677850
11/21/08 12:58 AM
11/21/08 12:58 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

WOW! Great analogy! All Donna has to hear is me opening the cage door to put food in the cage and she goes off. I can take the pouch out and hold it and talk to her, but she never calms down till I literally cup her through the pouch. Maybe this is comforting to her, I don't know. But if I take my hand away, or move, or BREATH, there she goes again! The way you describe it, she can't see what's going on, so everything is to be feared. I REALLY hope that the pouch works for us.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: ] #678421
11/21/08 09:58 PM
11/21/08 09:58 PM

R
raven77
Unregistered
raven77
Unregistered
R

The pouch protective pouch is the best thing since sliced bread!!!!!

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: ] #678534
11/22/08 02:15 AM
11/22/08 02:15 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Bourbon was kind enough to take me under her wing and offer her assistance with my Donna. She has asked that I post our progress and story on this thread do it can maybe be saved for future reference...

I'll give you a bit of background on my girls...

Background: I got Bella and Donna on September 20th of this year (3 months ago). They were rescues of unknown origin. The only thing we knew about them is that they had been together for maybe 3 years, and they were fed wild caught crickets, apples (they STILL won't eat apple pieces) and dry pellets. Bella weighs 74 grams and Donna weighs 142 grams. We assumed they were sisters, but Donna may actually be Bella's Mommy. Who knows? Age really doesn't matter if you can't interact with them.

Personalities: Bella was my sweet bra baby. Never crabbed, never bit (unless Donna was in distress), always came to me when I had food. Now Donna would crab, lunge and CRUNCH! No matter what I did, she would yell at me and not stop unless I had a tight grip on that pouch! And if I so much as BREATHED, she was crabbig again! Also: DOnna can be caught taking fruit from Bella in the cage. But in the bonding pouch Bella will steal mealies from Donna... weird!

diet and cage: I immediately put them both on BML, bought new toys, learned to sew pouches, made cage sets, offered every treat in the free world... Apparently this was NOT the best thing to do! I was spoiling these babies unduly.

Tonight Bourbon asked me to take EVERYTHING out of their cage that they could hide IN or BEHIND! Including their sleeping pouch and the cage liner! We decided that the best thing to work with would be their fleece bridge. Doubled in half, top edges 6 inches apart in a "V" shape, and hung directly in front of the top cage door it really resembled the well designed "Pouch Protector Pouch", which I have now ordered! When I went into the cage to take everything out, Bourbon could clearly hear Donna crabbing her head off! Once they left the sleeping pouch, and I REMOVED it, we didn't hear so much as a peep out of Donna for the next HOUR!!!!! (EDIT: And I STILL haven't any crabbing 2 hours later!!!)

Before Bourbon...

After Bourbon (LOL)...

My assignment for TONIGHT: Offer only licky treats. ONLY 3 licks... take it away.. bring it back... 3 licks... bring it back... and only something that required NO TEETH! ONLY from the end of a wooden spoon, and ONLY if she is inside the "pouch" (bridge)'

IT WORKED! Donna now comes to ME for treats!!!! I am FLOORED!!!!!

My assignment for the next 24 hours... nothing but my voice enters the cage!!!!!!!!!!

If they are in the "pouch" in the morning, one course of action will happen. If they are OUTSIDE of the pouch in the morning, another action will be taken. I will not know what these actions will be till I call in and report at the appointed time tomorrow.

All I know right now is I have seen Donna's belly for the first time EVER!!! She never climbed on the front bars of the cage! So I never even saw her pouch slit before tonight. For all I know I could have had a Daniel instead of a Donna! But not so! Already I see a new glider... NO CRABBING!!!

I am amazed! Stay tuned tomorrow for more of our story!

(EDIT #2: How goes thing with Shadow Erin?)

Last edited by BelladonnasMom; 11/22/08 02:32 AM.
Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: ] #678862
11/22/08 09:31 PM
11/22/08 09:31 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Well, Bella and Donna were sleeping in their "pouch" today, so I called Bourbon and got today's assignment. Homework today was to reach in and pet them, while they are in the pouch, every 30-45 minutes. I can also offer licky treats with the spoon handle, again while they are in the pouch. I was going to try to offer the yogurt with my finger today, but then Donna bit the spoon a lil bit. So maybe we'll try that tomorrow.

PROGRESS! She only crabbed at me once today! And for a very tiny amount of time. I was petting her, and when she crabbed, I just gently put my hand on top of her back and she stopped instantly! I then gave her a few gentle pets then left her alone.

They seem a little dejected to me. And it seems kind of sad to see the cage so bare. But Bourbon would tell me to get over myself, that what we are doing is for the good of the glider. So Mommy will live, and Bella and Donna will be better off after all of this. I'll keep you all posted.

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: ] #678868
11/22/08 09:49 PM
11/22/08 09:49 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Isn't it great! I know it is hard to see them with no toys, but it is sooo worth it to help them not be afraid. Mine even have no wheel cause Sugar was sleeping in it. I love that I can pet Shadow with no crabs! He has been resistant to me getting my hand under him and crabbed a couple times today, also nipped me last night when I had my hand under him, but each time I do it he is less resistant.

I am about to go in there and attempt my next assignment: get Shadow to crawl up my arm and walk with him on me to the tent! Once inside Bourbon will be teaching me some interactive things to do to get Shadow used to my hands.

Shadow used to just leap off me immediatly if he was on me, but I feel that we have made great strides and I can do this now. He sits in my hand for about 30 seconds now before he runs off at this point.

Congrats on your progress with Donna Robin! Can you believe how fast Bourbon's methods work?! She sure does have the magic touch! I am so glad she is teaching us!

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: SugareeErin] #678930
11/22/08 11:43 PM
11/22/08 11:43 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
OMG you guys will not believe this! Shadow did awesome!

I was having him crawl on my hand by placing it infront of and underneath him (this is so he does not feel he is being chased). Once he climbed on I would move my hand and let him jump off in another area. He loved the game and caught on super fast. Within minutes he was happily climbing on my hand and leaping off. I made a video to demonstrate that I will add later.

Now for the best part....Shadow crawled onto my hand, up my arm and perched on my shoulder. He sat there and started PURRING! I could not believe it. I have never heard any of my gliders purr!

We went from crabbing to purring, talk about a huge change! I am so proud of my Shadow! dance

Re: Bonding with Pouch Protective glider and more [Re: SugareeErin] #678946
11/23/08 12:11 AM
11/23/08 12:11 AM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
dance

Ash
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024