Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sugar Glider Seizures? #866762
11/14/09 09:08 PM
11/14/09 09:08 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
Okay, obviously a sugar glider that has a seizure needs to be taken to the vet.

HOWEVER. What does the vet do for a glider that has seizures triggered by something?
I'm looking for seizures triggered by excitement, in particular.

Do you get medication for it? X-rays? Bloodwork? Gradually working up to a certain point so that the glider doesn't get TOO excited to have a seizure again?

Re: Sugar Glider Seizures? [Re: konotashi] #866774
11/14/09 09:24 PM
11/14/09 09:24 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
My little Gizmo has seizures if she gets to excited. It was determined that her blood sugar drops and she has a seizure because of low blood sugar. We give her glucose or honey and she snaps right out of it.

A veterinarian would need to determine if this is that gliders problem. For Gizmo we make sure that she has a little breakfast if she is going to be making appearances and is asked to glide. She is my outreach glider.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Sugar Glider Seizures? [Re: Feather] #866795
11/14/09 10:24 PM
11/14/09 10:24 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I'm trying to get her to take her to the vet, but for some reason, I don't think she's going to be seen by one....

Does rubbing honey bring them out of any seizure, or just hypoglycemic ones?

Re: Sugar Glider Seizures? [Re: konotashi] #866842
11/14/09 11:33 PM
11/14/09 11:33 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
Thats a shame, a glider with seizures really needs to see a vet. There a many causes.

I had a female suggie that was having seizures and it was caused by low calcium and something to do with her nursing joeys. The vet prescibed a Calcium supplement and she did fine after that but we neutered her mate after that happened. Her Calcium levels went back to normal after the joeys weaned and she has not needed Calcium supplements since. (The vet did bloodwork to determine cause)

I hope the glider gets seen and is ok.

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: Sugar Glider Seizures? [Re: Janie] #866849
11/14/09 11:46 PM
11/14/09 11:46 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
The honey or glucose will only help a glider having seizures from low blood sugar. This glider really needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Sugar Glider Seizures? [Re: Feather] #866854
11/15/09 12:02 AM
11/15/09 12:02 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I asked her if she made an appointment for her to be seen. She said she was too busy to schedule one. frown

I think I scheduled Atreyu's vet appointment when I was at Wal-Mart, and it took me about two minutes. Hm.

Re: Sugar Glider Seizures? [Re: konotashi] #867028
11/15/09 01:18 PM
11/15/09 01:18 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Here is the information I posted on seizures quite a while ago:

There are several reasons a glider might have a seizure:
1) Dehydration
2) Illness/Disease
3) Neurological seizures
4) Hypoglycemia

Therefore, it is IMPERATIVE that any glider who experiences a seizure be seen by a vet.
A vet exam for a seizing glider should include tests for dehydration, infection and parasites as well as an overall physical exam and a review of diet and routine. In some cases, x-rays may be taken. It is NECESSARY that infection, illness, disease and dehydration be eliminated as causes of the seizure before a glider is labeled with epilepsy or seizure disorder.

Some gliders will seize if they become hypoglycemic. In these cases, it is important that the glider be offered healthy treats/food several times a day and prior to any out of cage time. A routine of food intake should be established and followed STRICTLY to ensure blood sugar levels do not drop. IF the glider does seize, you can offer a bit of kayro syrup or honey after the seizure passes to get blood sugar levels back up quickly. Do not offer anything until the glider is alert enough to swallow safely. A vet should be consulted and your diet and routine very closely analyzed to help prevent further seizures.

For Dehydration seizures - a vet should adminster sub-q fluids and possibly teach you to administer them for several days following. Make sure the vet tests for any underlying cause of the dehydration, as dehydration is often a SYMPTOM of a much larger problem. If the seizure was caused by dehydration, it should not recur once the dehydration is remedied. Be sure to monitor for dehydration closely.

For seizures caused by illness or disease - Again, have the vet treat the illness/disease. The seizures should not recur once the illness/disease is treated.

Neurological seizures - come in a variety of types and severity. Your vet will adivse you on courses of action for seizures.

I have 3 gliders that experience seizures now. One presents with hypoglycemic seizures. Two have neurological seizures which are most often triggered by fatigue, excitement or fear. With my glider who experiences the most seizures, we were able to identify the cause of the seizures to stress/anxiety. Therefore, I do not treat with any medication. Rather, I strive to eliminate all stress/anxiety from the glider's routine and environment (as much as I can). The difficulty with medication for seizures is that med levels must constantly be monitored through blood draws, which are risky in gliders and can facilitate a seizure themselves.

My Mocha has had seizures for 3 years. Though I have been successful in decreasing the frequency of them, they do seem to be increasing in intensity when they do occur. Recently Mocha suffered an injury requiring him to be separated from his cage mate to heal. This has resulted in so much stress and anxiety that his seizures have been very frequent and very severe. He once had 13 in one day. frown

What does a seizure look like?
Sometimes it will look like the "freeze" as I call it. The glider becomes completely still and may stare off. The difference in this and the freezing they do when scared is that during a seizure, they will not react to you. You can touch them or move them or pick them up and their body posture will not change and they will not react to you. Also, they loose grip and may fall.

Other times, it will look like twitching and jerking, maybe foaming at the mouth, maybe loosing grip or maybe a very tight grip that CAN'T be loosened. Mocha's seizures started as noted above and now when he seizes, he gets a very tight grip that can't be loosened, his body tenses all over, he twitches and jerks and he foams at the mouth.

Seizures are very serious and should only be treated by a vet. Any glider that has seizures should be monitored regularly by a vet. I keep a seizure log for Mocha. I suggest this for all gliders that seize. The SUGAR group now has an ongoing seizure log/survey as part of our seizure research.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024