Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
International Pet Glider Travel Information #904548
02/09/10 06:12 AM
02/09/10 06:12 AM
Machias Maine
Kanga_n_RoosMom Offline OP
Joey Member
Kanga_n_RoosMom  Offline OP
Joey Member

Machias Maine
This is our sucess story of traveling from Maine (USA) To Israel:

Hello again everyone, as promised, I would like to share a unique story of traveling aborad with my two sugar gliders Kanga and Roo. Hopefully this story can be a help to other people that need to travel, and refuse to leave their babies behind. I have included prices for items and general cost incurred whenever I thought important, so people get a better idea of actual costs) This story is rather long, but I hope educational.

It all started with a failed attempt to bring my sugar gliders from Miami to Israel. I live in Israel part time, and needed to bring them with me, as I would be gone too long for hiring a pet sitter. As it turned out, I relied on internet contact and the information they gave me which turned out to be mostly false. The contact informed me, (and the lady who sold me my gliders confirmed) all I needed was a travel cage (which she sold me from her pet store $20) and to pay a fee at the airport (I was told $150 by the airline representative). Thus, I was ill equipped the first time (BOO!!!) as was denied at the airport. Luckily we had a VERY dear friend in Miami that was trusted to pick up the gliders at the airport after my boyfriend and I had left for our trip. I didn't get to see my gliders for 2 months while they stayed with my friend in Miami. I was sad every day, because I missed my booby babies! When I returned to Miami alone, I stayed 2 nights with my friend to ensure the gliders would remember me, and make transition less stressful. My friend had done a wonderful job with their care (as he is also a glider owner). My babies jumped right out of the flight cage to me as soon as they saw me, and you guessed it, right into my shirt!!!

The next travel was to Maine where I would visit my family for Christmas for almost a month, before I headed back to Israel. Traveling in state is very similar to international, so I won’t post many additional details on this. My gliders are my life, and as you all can relate I'm sure, no sacrifice is too small! In Maine I had no friends that owned gliders. My family however took to them immediately and tried to abduct my gliders LOL. Even though they probably could have stayed with my family this time, I knew I would be in Israel for a longer period of time, and I would miss them too much. There was no way I was leaving without my babies in a months time. I was so dedicated to this, that I would cancel my trip to Israel if they couldn't come. With this in mind I set out to go ABOVE AND BEYOND what was required to let them travel internationally. I planned my whole trip around the suggies. My boyfriend (co-owner) of the gliders called the appropriate authorities on the Israeli end, and got the required paperwork together over the next 3 weeks. Meanwhile I went to work straight away to secure the paperwork for the states "export". I did a lot of research on pet friendly airlines, and based which airline I would travel with on their pet friendliness, and care. I decided to go with Continental Airlines. They were great in the information they gave me, they even have a phone number dealing directly with pets (1-800-575-3335). The ticket price was not much different from other airlines, and only differed by a couple hundred dollars. You acquire your ticket, and then call to book the gliders separate. You need a confirmation number for you, and one for your pet too. My next step was to make sure my coming of age male suggie Roo was neutered, so he didn't mate with his momma, and I could prove that my male and female suggies would not be producing offspring, and would not be considered and "invasive species" this was my idea, and not required. My family vet in Maine had never done the surgery on a glider, but offered to try with the help of the exotics vet (his wife) this was a learning process for us all. It turned out wonderfully. I paid $75, and received a very official looking certificate that had a seal. The doctor was so good, Roo didn't even know anything had happened to him.

The Israeli government required a 10 day health certificate, and a USDA stamped approval ($45 plus $50 to fed ex it to state capitol for USDA stamp, and $35 for USDA stamp). I knew I needed another health certificate from the one I got in Florida (expired), so I set up a date to take them to my vet 10 days exactly before I planned to leave. I was making the arrangements with the airline in the meantime. I had copies of the paperwork from abroad fed exed to me, so I could attach it to their kennel for travel, This paperwork included the all important “Import Permit”. I then set about to make the cage they would travel on the plane in. I was told that if I had only one, I could take it carry on, but since I have two, they needed to be checked in a travel kennel, there was no way I could separate my babies for travel, and I was the only parent to make this trip  so cargo it was.. This was a complicated part, because there really is no approved travel kennel for “sugar gliders” according to the airline, so I would have to fashion my own. I called the airline number and spoke to one man who was very rude, and offered little help. He put me on endless hold so I hung up and called again, and got a great gentleman who was willing to go get the book, and look up different acceptable travel kennels for what we eventually classified as "small squirrel like mammals", and that’s as close as we could get to a proper description in the books. Many could be hand made out of sheet metal or plywood, but I eventually came up with a bit easier method. What was required basically, is this: An airline approved kennel for small pets. Non collapsible hard plastic. Vent holes on 4 sides. Wire mesh covering any openings that little hands could poke out of. Feeder dish accessible from the outside, etc. I improvised this by buying a small “classic grey kennel” at a pet store ($30). I then used a drill to drill holes in the fourth side and 4 more holes in the front area by the door (to close door with tie straps). I replaced the plastic wing nut type screws with metal bolts and nuts. (really do your research online if you can, because many of these little quirky things must be done, and some kennels that claim to be airline approved are NOT!) I then went on a search for some type of wire mesh suitable for covering the holes. I thought of window screening, but it was out of season. So I ended up at the home improvement store. I bought some very small wire mesh used for windows ($7 for way more than I needed). This turned out great. It was easy to cut and work with to cover the holes. I used tie straps to hold it to the door and sides of the cage, and then used a pet safe glue at wal mart ($5) to seal around the edges on the outside, so there would be no way the suggies could get hurt on exposed wire. I tie strapped two extra large zip lock bags to the handle of the kennel. One for the required documents and one for some travel food, just in case. I put their smelly blanket on the floor of the kennel, and hung their favorite pouch (also on this note of comfort, I did acclimate them to the kennel first using tent time 10 days, and then letting them play in it for ½ nights 3 days before). The only thing I really couldn’t figure out, was a feeder dish accessible from the outside, but I figured I had most bases covered, and hung a regular food dish on the mesh of the door inside. I wasn’t going to get denied because of one little hang up! At this point I had put so much research and effort into the travel cage, I was daring someone to challenge it at the airport! Which they did, LOL. Half way through paperwork at the airport, the agent says, “yeah, the mesh isn’t gonna work”. When I asked why, he said “we need to tie strap the door closed”. I was so happy I had thought ahead to drill those holes in the front! He just said “wow, excellent!” ha ha
So that being the hardest part, here is a list of documents I brought (I put LIVE ANIMALS and contact information on the front of the big zip lock): A brief description of Petaurus Breviceps with a picture, copy of my passport and itinerary, Israeli import permit and stamped approval. International health certificate USDA APPROVED! (That part turned out to be imperative, also there was a specific format that was required, different from what my vet normally used). Airline INTERNATIONAL quickpack, and waybill ($410 and obtained at airport). I also carried copies of all documentation and certificate of neuter with me. I arrived at the airport 3 hours early. The paperwork and kennel labeling took 2 hours. I was told no food or water was to be in the cage at check in, and that the gliders would “possibly” get fed on the way. This is because of several reasons, not least of which is; animals can get sick and throw up food during the flight. But I knew my gliders wouldn’t be up until mid flight, and they would be BORED in that box. I wasn’t going to leave it to chance, so right before I tie strapped the door shut, I snuck half an apple way at the back. Good thing! Because the gliders didn’t get fed or watered on the overnight flight (13 hours), and the apple was devoured upon arrival!
I watched the crate like a hawk, every time it was moved, on and off a plane, or wherever I could see it to make sure. I even checked once seated in the plane, to make sure it had made the connecting flight, and was on board. In the end, even though I was worried sick, everything went fine. My gliders arrived safe and I was so happy! There was no additional paperwork on the other end, and we just picked them up from the baggage check area. The agents did use the Israeli cell phone number I provided to call us and let us know where our pets were in the airport, so I’m glad I included this. I really believe with all the preparation, the travel was easy for them, and a positive experience. They had no visible signs of stress after flight.

I have a few pictures to upload with this message (of the cage, and how to make one) but I don’t have an external site to load from. I use my mobile phone for internet access. So if anyone has the ability to attach the pictures to this post, I can email them to you from my phone, and would be most grateful!

I hope this helps anyone who plans to travel with their gliders. Please ask if you have any questions (or pm me).

Love to snuggle my suggie babies!

Roo > :bb: Bella > :wfb:
Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: Kanga_n_RoosMom] #904568
02/09/10 08:38 AM
02/09/10 08:38 AM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
Wow, great post! Lots of great information there.

Nala, Ronald & Reuel (formerly Eladio & Petal) :plat:
Judah :rbridge: Anson :rbridge: Lele :rbridge: Laki :rbridge:
Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: Paani] #904679
02/09/10 02:56 PM
02/09/10 02:56 PM

G
gliderfun2
Unregistered
gliderfun2
Unregistered
G

Awesome post!!!!! very informative. If you would like to send the pics to me i can do that for you..

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: ] #904954
02/10/10 09:32 AM
02/10/10 09:32 AM
Machias Maine
Joey Member
Joey Member

Machias Maine
thanks guys! Ok gliderfun2, I am sending pics via my mobile to the email address listed on your profile page. thank you for offering to help me put the finishing touches on this. smile

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: Kanga_n_RoosMom] #905017
02/10/10 12:21 PM
02/10/10 12:21 PM

G
gliderfun2
Unregistered
gliderfun2
Unregistered
G

Will post as soon as my pictures get done down loading.. Happy to do it!

Last edited by gliderfun2; 02/10/10 12:21 PM.
Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: Kanga_n_RoosMom] #905026
02/10/10 12:42 PM
02/10/10 12:42 PM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Your information is worth keeping for anyone that may have to travel and refuses to leave their gliders behind - Thank you

Could you post pictures of your traveling cage - I'd really love to make one for my kiddos - reading the instructions is one thing but for a 67 yr old dummy seeing it is something I'd need

Thanks -

You are one really great mommy

Sue
owned by

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: ] #905063
02/10/10 01:51 PM
02/10/10 01:51 PM

G
gliderfun2
Unregistered
gliderfun2
Unregistered
G

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: ] #905066
02/10/10 01:55 PM
02/10/10 01:55 PM

G
gliderfun2
Unregistered
gliderfun2
Unregistered
G

you will have to click on the link for a couple of the pictures.

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: ] #905974
02/12/10 10:40 AM
02/12/10 10:40 AM
Machias Maine
Joey Member
Joey Member

Machias Maine
thanks gliderfun2, thats awesome and the pics look great!

@ Beezer- I think if you are considering making something creative for your kiddos, you are far from a dummy smile Creative people are smart! have fun making your unique travel kennel.

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: Kanga_n_RoosMom] #960107
06/17/10 09:43 AM
06/17/10 09:43 AM
Machias Maine
Joey Member
Joey Member

Machias Maine
Here is a great link to some specifications for Airline kennels. i had lost it when I made the original post, but just found it again. The airport is SO strict about the kennel, that you really need to make sure 100% before you go--you won't have acess to a drill or home depot at the airport kiosk, so plan ahead!

This link is from dryfur.com a site with pet travel info

http://www.dryfur.com/airline_carrier_kennel_reviews.htm

This isn't so significant for people who don't travel by plane with their gliders, but for those who have to, I hope it's a huge help.

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: Kanga_n_RoosMom] #960160
06/17/10 12:11 PM
06/17/10 12:11 PM
Eastern NC
melek007 Offline
Glider Addict
melek007  Offline
Glider Addict

Eastern NC
Thanks for posting that! It's good to know.

~ I miss my Alev, Nese & Levent ~
Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: melek007] #960178
06/17/10 12:49 PM
06/17/10 12:49 PM
Glen Ellyn, IL
ehanton Offline
Glider Explorer
ehanton  Offline
Glider Explorer

Glen Ellyn, IL
Thank you so much for posting that! Did your gliders have to go through quarantine?

:wfb: Mommy to Mikah and Mojo! :wfb:
Two Cats - Gizmo and T.C.
1 Dog - Hannah.

Rest in peace Maisy, I miss you dearly frown 9/17/07 - 7/29/10
Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: ehanton] #960269
06/17/10 03:18 PM
06/17/10 03:18 PM
Machias Maine
Joey Member
Joey Member

Machias Maine
My gliders didn't have to go through quarantine. I had the vet and USDA sign the health papers, so I don't think anyone in customs here questioned it. I tried to ask the USDA vet if he could make a note "do not quarantine", or "no quarantine necessary" but he said it was not in his authority to do so. If you are travelling to another country, you'll be at the mercy of the customs officials in that country. It's a good thing in my case because I don't think they would be very happy after a standard 7-10 day quarantine, LOL

Re: International Pet Glider Travel Information [Re: Kanga_n_RoosMom] #960978
06/19/10 02:54 AM
06/19/10 02:54 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
Great post with excellent advice!

:grey: Casper (Bozeman) & Liezl (Gizmogirl):grey:
www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

PackinFuzz.com Sugar Glider Online Store

RIP: Sugar (2009) :grey:
You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024