Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" #1011407
09/30/10 03:02 PM
09/30/10 03:02 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Here is a little back story. My first glider joey ever, Pixie almost died after she was attacked by a cage mate. We spent almost 2 months of dressing changes and medications and hope and finally got her better. That was probably a year and a half ago.

Since she has been separated from that glider (who has been found to be aggressive with more than just her and will never be put with another glider again) and has been placed with a sweet WFB male Skids. They had a set of twin girls which she rejected. It seemed she didn't know how to be a mom yet and I was honestly worried about PTSD from her attack.

She has had a second set of girls. Both WFB, Chi and Kismet (Kizzy for short). For 2 weeks she did great and then I found her being resistant to feeding them and seeming overwhelmed. So I started supplementing them. Well I guess her mom instincts kicked in on at least one. Chi is thriving and doing great. However, Kizzy is a different story.

Chi is weighing in at high 30 - early 40 grams while Kizzy is fighting to stay at 19gms. They are now 6 weeks and 2 days out of pouch. I saw the other day that Kizzy was having trouble with one of her paws and yesterday noted she had a bump on her chest.

I have been hand feeding her and giving her SubQ fluids from the start. But, I was worried and wanted to make sure she wasn't suffering with her foot and chest so took her to the vet (who specialize in exotics and sugar gliders) yesterday heartbroken that after 6 weeks of fighting for her I might have to let her go so she didn't hurt.

However, while we were at the vet she was her usual amazing self (which made it so hard). She was alert and bright eyed, climbing all over the vet and climbing up my shirt, like she always does to give me kisses.

I asked the vet what they thought and they said that she didn't appear to be in any pain and that she might be a "Dwarf" and have a metabolic bone disease with pathological fractures. I told the vet, although it would kill me to put her to sleep I wanted to make sure she wasn't suffering and I was also worried that she would have to deal with frequent fractures caused by things as simple as her walking and jumping. The vet said she thinks that she can outgrow the metabolic bone disease and we started her on NEO-CALGLUCON.

Since our visit it is like Kizzy knew why we were there. She cleans herself, is a little chow hound. Urinates and has BM's and still climbs up to give me kisses (which I love).

My main question is Has anyone ever heard of a "Dwarf Sugar Glider"? What should I expect? I know her prognosis is uncertain but I am willing to fight as long as she is. Any experienced advice would be great!

*Also a side note....because Pixie has had issues with her babies before, we are going to give her another chance to have babies (Chi is perfect) and if she doesn't do well, I will have Skids fixed. I don't want to bring sick or rejected babies into the world. I am just hoping that she has gotten her mothering skills down and am giving her credit because there is obviously something wrong with Kizzy.

Last edited by irie888; 09/30/10 04:12 PM. Reason: wrong info

Erin (Mom to)

:grey: Pixie, Bell, Otto, :leu: Helo, & :wfb: Skids, Kizmet :rtmo: Uqi

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

:rbridge: Aspen at 20 years old was still too soon to leave me, Keto, Zucgar & Echo
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011425
09/30/10 03:29 PM
09/30/10 03:29 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I have heard of dwarf sugar gliders, but I don't remember them having the troubles that Kizzy seems to be having. I'm sorry I don't know anything to be of help. I hope Kizzy is on the mend. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011428
09/30/10 03:32 PM
09/30/10 03:32 PM

J
JamieInWA
Unregistered
JamieInWA
Unregistered
J

Hmm, I have never heard of a dwarf sugar glider. I hope someone else comes along with some more info for you. hug2

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011438
09/30/10 03:41 PM
09/30/10 03:41 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
It's really weird. It is hard because she looks like she is maybe 2.5-3 weeks OOP but is over 6 weeks.

I have been using Suz's rejected glider guide (thanks Suz you're an angel) and last night I made her the 6 week OOP formula and added some chicken and brown rice baby food. I have also been adding Nutrical and blending it until REALLY smooth so that she gets extra calories.

Mom, Dad and Chi still except her so she spends most of her time with them. But even with the added calories and IVF I have not been able to get this glider over 24 grams.

I am a nurse so I have kept records on her weight before feeding, how much she eats, IVF, urination and BM's and then just notes in general on how she is.

I have a humidified incubator if/when needed and I keep the IVF warm. The vet says there is NOTHING that they could do that I am not already doing for her. So, medically, I am not worried, there is nothing else that can be done.

However, I have increased the cereal in her formula, added a high caloric supplement and been giving her round the clock IVF. She flucuates from 18gms to 21 grams but I cannot seem to get her to stay over 19-20 gms for very long.

I am just wondering if she is going to be 20grams for the rest of her life? I'm glad to hear others have heard of "Dwarfs" but how big did they get? It is a little nerve racking to think I am going to deal with a glider the size of a 3 Week OOP forever.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

:rbridge: Aspen at 20 years old was still too soon to leave me, Keto, Zucgar & Echo
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011442
09/30/10 03:47 PM
09/30/10 03:47 PM
atkins arkansas
eterrell84 Offline
Glider Addict
eterrell84  Offline
Glider Addict

atkins arkansas
i have a little female who is about 1/2 the size of everybody else, including her twin brother! shes tiny! shes no dwarf, but very very small. maybe kizzy is just naturally petite like my girl!

~ERIN~ momma to:ceasar(boxer),Chili(pug),Badcat(black cat) and Juliette(ragamuffin)~Apple:grey:and Archer:grey:and George Micheal:grey:Maybe:grey:and Jasper :wfb:,husband Jordan and daughter Azlyn!heart
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011452
09/30/10 03:55 PM
09/30/10 03:55 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Have you tried adding canola oil to her diet? I've found it to be beneficial when trying to add weight. It also helps give them extra energy.

I'm glad you didn't make the decision to have her euthanized. I'm sure there will be more experienced glider slaves along who will be able to help this situation.

Did the vet say what was wrong with her hand and chest?

You're doing a great job!!! Please keep us updated!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011453
09/30/10 03:56 PM
09/30/10 03:56 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I totally understand what you are saying Erin, my little Uqi is that way. She is 9 weeks and looks like she is probably 6-7 weeks. Please don't think that I am discounting that at all.

But this is different. She is 2 and 1/2 times smaller than her twin who is only 6 weeks old too. I had to repeat myself multiple times at the vet that they were twins.

She is 19gms. That is less than 3 times the weight of my wedding rings (and they aren't huge, but big enough Honey) if that gives you perspective.

She is not just a "small" glider, there is something that is different about her. She is also able to eat the increasingly thicker foods like a normal glider would which makes me think that her organs are maturing, she just isn't getting bigger. I have firm stools and good urination so she is digesting. I am hoping to start her on more adult solid glider foods in the next few weeks.

When we started she was tiny and as I fed her she got bigger and stronger and then just hit a wall with her weight. Now she seems to have plateaued and just won't gain. It is really strange.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011455
09/30/10 04:00 PM
09/30/10 04:00 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Oh and I forgot to mention, her appetite has increased for the most part as time has gone on. Like today she has eaten 6mls (many times 4.0ml at a time) of her formula and gotten 2 1.0cc SubQ injections of IVF since 8:30am.

That is ALOT of food and fluid for a glider her size. (I have checked with the vets and she is handling it well and we have had NO BLOATING ISSUES).

But still, I'll weigh her and she might have gained a gram by the end of the day.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011459
09/30/10 04:05 PM
09/30/10 04:05 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I will have to try the canola oil.....thanks Connie! The vet said she is WAY TOO LITTLE for any blood test OR EVEN AN X-RAY! She is too small for an x-ray. They said they wouldn't be able to see anything.

As far as her foot and chest, that goes back to them thinking that she has metabolic bone disease which is pretty much the equivilant of "Brittle Bone Disease" in humans. There hasn't been any trauma and she stays in her pouch because she is too tiny to get out although last night she wanted to come out and explore and her sister kept pushing her head back down in the pouch like she was saying "you're too small, get back in there!" Mom and Dad quickly came over and put her back in the pouch.

The doctors think she gets pathological fractures which means her bones fracture VERY easily from non-traumatic issues. Although I am able to hold her without an incidents or anything. They don't seem to be bothering her and she is too tiny to splint. So we are hoping the medication will give her extra Calcium and then she'll grow out of it.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011463
09/30/10 04:14 PM
09/30/10 04:14 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I know that dwarfism in humans is frequently associated with other health issues. I do not know what causes dwarfism, but it seems to be likely that a glider could have dwarfism?

Dwarfism itself is not a disease in humans - but can be caused by one of hundreds of medical conditions, and frequently can create hundreds MORE.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011472
09/30/10 04:29 PM
09/30/10 04:29 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Thanks Alden! Being a nurse, I am aware of all of the issues that can come with human "dwarfism" but didn't know if it frequent in gliders. I know their are "dwarf hamsters".

I was just worried about those other issues too which is why I took her to the vet yesterday. I think that is probably why mom tried to reject her. Of course I didn't let that happened so now we are here. I guess we will just deal with issues as they arise. I just was hoping to get an idea if other people had dealt with this and what issues had come with it.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011482
09/30/10 04:41 PM
09/30/10 04:41 PM
Homestead, FL
Adri Offline
Glider Guardian
Adri  Offline
Glider Guardian

Homestead, FL
Erin:

Several months ago I took back several gliders I had sold as joeys and their mates from a VERY bad abuse/neglect situation. These gliders were being starved and were severely malnourished. This obviously interfered with the mothers ability to produce milk for her joeys. She had twins shortly after her arrival here and though everything was done to supplement her diet, the twins were not thriving. At eight weeks the girls were only 22g. Because of this the girls remained here with me for several months. I am happy to report that they are now in a wonderful pet only home and have caught up immensely though they will probably not exceed 75g adult weight. I know your situation is different as your gliders are not abused/neglected/starved but some females just as in other species don't have an adequate milk supply to properly raise multiple young. I truly hope your baby does well as my girls did.

Adri

Mother of 2
Adrian, Sofie
Slave to many glidin' gliders

www.sugarsensation.com

Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved.
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011618
10/01/10 12:29 AM
10/01/10 12:29 AM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Adri, gosh I hope that you are right and I am SO glad to hear that your girls are doing so well!

When I saw that mom was pregnant I gave her a diet rich with protein, calcium, vitamins (along with her other normal diet) and when the babies came out of pouch I supplemented her with Nutrical to increase her caloric intake to hopefully help with milk production.

The twin girls were both supplemented and given IVF the same exact way and I would let them take turns with mom nursing them and take the other (for equal amounts of time) so she wouldn't feel so overwhelmed with 2 at once, which seemed to help.

On 9/10 I stopped supplementing Chi who is now 45 grams (I weighed her today). I have continued to give Kizzy supplement and IVF.

Today alone since 8:30am she has eaten 11.5ml of her formula and had 3.5ml of SubQ IV fluid. She weighed in at 19 grams before feeding this am and tonight a whopping 21gms which she will most likely lose at least 1 if not 2 grams overnight.

She is bright eyed, curious, wants to explore. Her appetite is great. She is having firm BM's that are appropriate in time with when she has been fed and also spontaneous without stimulation at times. NO LOOSE STOOLS. She is urinating. I have increased her food according to Suz's formula and also added baby food to it yesterday which she likes and seems to be digesting VERY well.

I just can't think of any other reason that she is not gaining. She does not appear weak or unhealthy. She crabs at my husband when he tries to put her in his pocket because she wants to be held instead. She has a mind of her own and a little attitude as she nibbled on his finger tonight when it wasn't where she wanted it to be.

I know her growth is stunted, I just don't know if it is going to be permanent. She has been holding at 19-21 grams since 9/19. She will go a little higher or lower but seems to love the number 19.

So 11 days with no significant weight gain but an increase in food intake and concentration. Also an increase in appetite, activity, BM's and alertness. But NO weight gain.

I have googled and can find nothing on gliders with "dwarfism". I am fine with her at this weight as long as she is healthy and happy.

I am worried about the pathological fractures as I don't want my baby to hurt ever. But, I guess we will take things as they come and treat her however she needs to be treated.

The other issues she seems to have is that her eyes are a little different then normal gliders. They are not set into her head as deeply as other gliders. They don't bulge like bug eyed but they aren't quite right. Also her fur isn't as thick and soft as her sister. My boys and I joke that she has "mange". My friend says she is so ugly she is adorable and I have to agree.

The vet isn't giving her a great prognosis but also they and I can't bring ourselves to put her to sleep when she is as alert, curious and sweet as she is. So we are going to take it day by day.

I SO appreciate everyone's guesses and suggestions and hope that EVERYONE of you is right and she just needs to catch up, however, based on what the vet assessed that I am doing with her and she still is not gaining, they and I feel that we are dealing with a rare type of glider issue.

Let's hope I am wrong, but if not we will take it day by day and I will look to Kizzy to tell me what to do. That being said, I am still happy to take any advice or would be thrilled to hear that more people have even heard of "dwarf gliders". It is a little scary going into this by myself. GC seems to always find someone who has dealt with an issue that I have had. I am hoping someone will for this too.

Thank you all again for the advice and support. Please don't think I am dis-regarding it. I am praying that it is all true and works. I am just anticipating and researching what I might be facing if it isn't.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011621
10/01/10 01:32 AM
10/01/10 01:32 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
i would not put her too sleep you need to give her alot of time. i have a glider that was almost dead and now well. she was dehydrated down to 60 grams. since another one was keeping her from her food and water dish. i never thought she would pull through she was so severely dehydrated, i had to force feed her for a month and she only got subqued twice the rest of the time i had to feed her bml in a syringe and pedialtye every couple of hrs around the clock. i set my clock every 2 hrs for 3 wks till she ate on her own, the fluids she got were in a 1cc syringe which was half pedialty and half bml it took 40 minutes to feed 1 syringe this was the toughest thing i ever did. but she is still with me although she has some neurological damage from being almost dead. but she loves her wheel and eats on her own and is like a handicapped person but fine otherwise. i now got her up to 94 grams, i do use a little high calcium ensure in her food which packed the weight on her and lots of mealies just for her.

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011645
10/01/10 05:53 AM
10/01/10 05:53 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Erin, I think at this stage you are being a wonderful mommy, keep it up. thumb And I think your approach of taking it day by day is the way to go. hug2 You know her best. I do not have any knowledge about dwarf gliders, but I wish you the best with this little one. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011660
10/01/10 07:53 AM
10/01/10 07:53 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I heard of one breeder who thought they had dwarf gliders, who remained tiny for a very long time but eventually, grew to normal proportions.

I would suggest contacting more experienced glider vets. (Your vet will have to be the one to make the calls) I would think if any vet knows about this and can help, it would be one of these. Just take the list to your vet and ask that he call these vets for help.

vet Consult Numbers
(Everyone should print out or write these numbers down, just in case)

Dr.Tim Tristan
OSO Creek Animal Hospital
361-994-1145

Dr. Bradley Walsh
Village vet Animal Clinic/All Creatures Veterinary Hospital
928-258-0040

Dr. Andrew Grzanowski
Canton Center Animal Hospital
734-459-1400

Dr. Kate Zimmerman
TriCounty Animal Hospital
(has 24hr emergency contact info on her office answering machine)
423-391-0303

Dr. Teresa Bradley
Belton Animal Clinic
816-331-3120

Dr. Kristen West
Mandel Veterinary Hospital
216-321-6040

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011667
10/01/10 08:39 AM
10/01/10 08:39 AM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Thanks Connie! I will def take that list to my vet. Right now I feel like we are doing as much as we can medically for her. But I would like to know more about her possible diagnosis, prognosis and if there are any treatments (especially for her bone disease) so I will see if I can get them to call. Thanks!

Karen, don't worry....I am not going to put her to sleep until she tells me that she is done or is in too much pain.

Our trip to the vet and considering putting her to sleep was based on the fact that she seemed to be developing other issues. I was okay with her having foot issues, but when I woke up in the morning and found the lump on her chest, as a nurse my first thought was.....she can't gain weight, she has a lump, it may be cancer. I didn't want to keep subjecting her to things like every 6 hour SubQ fluids when she was fighting a losing battle anyways. The bone disease I can be patient with as long as she can.

We will just make adjustments to make her as safe as possible in her own cage....like make it smaller, take the grate out of the bottom and pad it in case she falls, clip her nails on her bad foot so they don't get caught on things, and give her ramps to walk on so that she doesn't have to climb as much).

I went to feed her this morning and she had lost a gram so we are back to 20gms this morning again. At least she seemed to maintain herself overnight. I have been trying to let her go by herself overnight unless she has significantly low weight to see if she maintains overnight. So far she seems to do ok. I feed her last thing before bed and first thing when I get up in the morning. I am hoping when she gets her own cage, she will be able to get to her food at night by herself. However, the family cleans her when she gets done eating from me and licks it off of my hands. So I know they would eat it before she gets a chance to.

I'll take some pics of her and her sister so that I can post them and you can see the difference.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011676
10/01/10 08:56 AM
10/01/10 08:56 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: irie888

We will just make adjustments to make her as safe as possible in her own cage....like make it smaller, take the grate out of the bottom and pad it in case she falls, clip her nails on her bad foot so they don't get caught on things, and give her ramps to walk on so that she doesn't have to climb as much).
You can also put hammocks in her cage so that if she does fall, she won't fall too far and will land on something soft.

I went to feed her this morning and she had lost a gram so we are back to 20gms this morning again. At least she seemed to maintain herself overnight. I have been trying to let her go by herself overnight unless she has significantly low weight to see if she maintains overnight.
Since you've been fighting her weight, why not go ahead and feed her at night as well? She may need round-the-clock feedings in order to gain weight. Is she warm enough at night? With her weight, she isn't able to maintain her body temperature on her own. I'm sorry if that was already addressed and I missed it.

P.S. I think it's incredible that you have a 17 yr old glider! Amazing! It shows that you're definitely doing things right! You're a great suggie slave!

Last edited by suggiemom_1980; 10/01/10 08:59 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011685
10/01/10 09:09 AM
10/01/10 09:09 AM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I agree Connie. Her larger cage had hammocks and one caught her. I just redid all of my cages and since her parents are the only 2 adults in the cage they are in a little bit smaller cage than the rest so I think that is also helpful.

As far as her body temp goes. She is doing fine. She spends most of her time with the other gliders and they keep her warm. When she isn't with them, she is with me usually in my bra. I also have a humidified incubator ready if need it on at all times. Her food and IVF are warmed so they don't mess with her body temp.

I agree and do get up in the night as needed. She still doesn't seem to gain when I do but I will continue to try. The other thing is she gets stubborn and eats when she wants. Like this am she only ate 1ml of food even though I didn't feed her throughout the night. However, I will try again in an hour and she may eat 4ml. I can't tell if mom is still doing something. I had seen her nursing a few days ago (before the foot and the chest issue). I guess I am hoping if she is a little hungry mom may continue to feed her overnight.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment....we are very proud of our old girl who still gets on her wheel and is usually one of the first to the dish at night.

Last edited by irie888; 10/01/10 09:19 AM. Reason: Ps added

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011699
10/01/10 10:03 AM
10/01/10 10:03 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA

I agree and do get up in the night as needed. She still doesn't seem to gain when I do but I will continue to try. The other thing is she gets stubborn and eats when she wants. Like this am she only ate 1ml of food even though I didn't feed her throughout the night. However, I will try again in an hour and she may eat 4ml. I can't tell if mom is still doing something. I had seen her nursing a few days ago (before the foot and the chest issue). I guess I am hoping if she is a little hungry mom may continue to feed her overnight.
Miss Boo-Boo was the same way. She nursed all the time but it was comfort nursing only. Every time I checked her belly, there was no milk in it. Thankfully, mom seemed to enjoy the comfort nursing, which kept their bond together. Miss Boo-Boo was also a picky eater and would vary in the amounts she ate. I found if she ate a lot one feeding, she ate less the next. How often are you feeding? I increased the time between feedings (ten minute increments per day) until she ate pretty much the same amounts per feeding. Keep in mind tho, her situation was that mom had no milk and she was of normal size.
P.S. Thanks for the compliment....we are very proud of our old girl who still gets on her wheel and is usually one of the first to the dish at night.
That's just awesome! Have you had her since she was a joey? I can't imagine having a glider that long. I'm coming up on four years and that seems like a long time!

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011707
10/01/10 10:21 AM
10/01/10 10:21 AM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Connie, I have been taking my cues on feeding from her. I have been trying to feed her more often, especially when I don't have work or can take her with me (Unfortunately loving gliders doesn't pay my bills). But she tends to eat a lot at one sitting and then take less more often throughout the day. She is 6 weeks but I will try to give her food as often as every 2-3 hours when possible. Sometime it hits and sometimes it doesn't. I am just happy her parents still except her whether they are feeding her or not.

As for Aspen the 17 year old, I have had her for 10 years. I got her from a doctor that I was working with who had gotten her from a breeder (they were so hard to find back then) so he was very aware of her history. At the time I got her she was 8 years old. So that makes her at least 17 if not 18 years old. It is a long time and we feel very blessed!

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011710
10/01/10 10:24 AM
10/01/10 10:24 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Connie, I have been taking my cues on feeding from her. I have been trying to feed her more often, especially when I don't have work or can take her with me (Unfortunately loving gliders doesn't pay my bills). But she tends to eat a lot at one sitting and then take less more often throughout the day. She is 6 weeks but I will try to give her food as often as every 2-3 hours when possible. Sometime it hits and sometimes it doesn't. I am just happy her parents still except her whether they are feeding her or not.
You are doing an awesome job with her! I know it has to be heart breaking as well as worrisome, but you're doing great! hug2
As for Aspen the 17 year old, I have had her for 10 years. I got her from a doctor that I was working with who had gotten her from a breeder (they were so hard to find back then) so he was very aware of her history. At the time I got her she was 8 years old. So that makes her at least 17 if not 18 years old. It is a long time and we feel very blessed!
She's a lucky glider! We'd love some pics of her! (yeah, that was a blatant hint)

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011713
10/01/10 10:32 AM
10/01/10 10:32 AM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I'll see what I can do (keep your eye on my gallery too)....thanks for the advice Connie!

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011793
10/01/10 02:18 PM
10/01/10 02:18 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I'll see what I can do (keep your eye on my gallery too)....thanks for the advice Connie!

We're all glad to help!

Where is your gallery?

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011799
10/01/10 02:34 PM
10/01/10 02:34 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

I wonder if the metabolic bone disease is interfering with her growth in general - if her frame can't support more weight (yet) maybe that is why she hasn't gained it yet. Just an idea - I have no experience in this area. It must be nerve wracking! You are taking EXCELLENT care of her, every glider should be so lucky!

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011817
10/01/10 03:07 PM
10/01/10 03:07 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
My gallery is in the Glider Central member gallery under Irie888.

You might be right Jessica. I am not too familiar with the metabolic bone disease either. All I know is all of her didn't develope the way it should.....all you have to do is look at her to see that. So this may be a health issue that comes along with her small stature. Luckily no one has told her she is small.

She just got finished eating 4.5ml of formula, 1ml of SUBQ and peed and pooped all over me. And still wanted a kiss. She is amazing.

P.S. Thank you for the compliment!

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011914
10/01/10 09:15 PM
10/01/10 09:15 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Here is a picture of Kizzy being syringe fed around 3 weeks OOP. I will upload more recent pics asap.

Attached Files
KizzyBottle Feed.jpg (77 downloads)

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011946
10/01/10 10:51 PM
10/01/10 10:51 PM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
she is so cute she will make it she looks like a little doll. my girl had no fight in her she was dead and came back to life. so can your girl just never give up on her no matter what. my destiny was curled in a ball hardly breathing back in june. not even moving in the slightest. it took a month of hard work she is now first up running in her wheel like crazy.

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011957
10/01/10 11:00 PM
10/01/10 11:00 PM
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
irie888 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
irie888  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Indian Rocks Beach, FL
SO glad to hear about your little girl Karen! Her mom was our miracle (which you can find in old posts). She was attacked and we almost lost her.

The name Destiny is fitting just like my Kizzy is short for Kismet which means Karma. Hopefully I have as much good karma as you do.

Erin (Mom to)

1 Crazy Dogs
Weim - Irie

Re: My vet thinks that I have a "Dwarf Sugar Glider" [Re: irie888] #1011960
10/01/10 11:02 PM
10/01/10 11:02 PM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
Just a thought/question...
Is it still actually necessary to do SUBQ so often?
My experience comes from wildlife, so it was always an emergency... but I would be concerned about giving subq so often...for som long. Isn't she able to take in all the calories and fluids that she needs without needing to poke her?

Also... nobody has asked what diet you feed (that I saw). That would be an important factor, especially since you say that you increased mom's protien... how did you do that and for which diet? If you add more protien than the diet calls for... you can cause problems from too MUCH...??

Just asking questions that can hopefully help you! hug2

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (KarenE), 341 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,571 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,159 UTAH
321,680 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024