Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Taller is better than Wider #854029
10/18/09 02:12 PM
10/18/09 02:12 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Ok, so over the years MANY of us have always said tall is better than wide as our little guys LOVE to hang out as high as they possibly can...however, when jumping, gliding, etc...our little ones do not go straight up or down. They go across...

Birds also love to be high in the trees, yet it is common knowledge that although many will recommend a taller cage to be better for birds, it is a fact that wider is better to allow more *flight* room.

Would this not be the same for our gliders? Would Wider not be just as if not more important than height? dunno

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #854036
10/18/09 02:24 PM
10/18/09 02:24 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Well, I am interested to hear what others say on this subject....

For many of my gliders, Taller is not an option because of special needs, so we have gone wider. These gliders all have "normal" cage mates and every one of them - the SN and the "normal" ones - are healthy, happy, social, and bonded to me and their cage mates. Interestingly, in these cages I don't have a single overweight glider, but I do in some of my taller cages. All are fed the same diets, have the same schedule, etc. Also, these gliders in the shorter but wider cages see the vet much more frequently than other gliders in my home, and they all check out healthy on all tests and such.

I believe that what is much more important than height or length is overall SPACE - no matter how it comes. So, when someone asks me how large a cage should be, I tell them how large it should be in cubic inches, and let them get there however they may.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #854039
10/18/09 02:27 PM
10/18/09 02:27 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I think wider is better atleast for my gliders.

I had all flight cages that were 18"x30"x55" and one 260gallon rept.

With the 260 rept, they never used the bottom third of it. The tall flight cage, same thing.

I made a modified 350 rept that measured 58" wide, 24" deep and 48" tall. (two 175 gallon repts sewn together) It sat up on a table so the bottom of it was about 3 feet off the ground. The gliders in there used every bit of the space and had a blast.

I have switched over to new cages that are 36" wide, 24" deep and 40" tall. By cubed inch, it is larger than the previous flight cages but they use every bit of it. With the tall flight cages, they only went to the bottom to get to their wheel.

I do believe they like being up higher but putting a wider cage up on a stand/table seems to be a better option for my gliders.

If I had the space to do it, my gliders would be in cages that were 6 foot long, atleast 2 feet deep and 48 inches tall.

OK, need to win the lottery so I can build a new glider room and custom cages.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Dancing] #854211
10/18/09 07:51 PM
10/18/09 07:51 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
Yeah I am thinking wider. I have been looking at pic's of cages one would normally think is fine but they are so full of toys I don't see how they could really move in them.

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: cyndiekb] #854280
10/18/09 09:48 PM
10/18/09 09:48 PM
Tennessee
teriek Offline
Glider Lover
teriek  Offline
Glider Lover

Tennessee
I tend to agree with you guys, more volume is the way to go & my kids in the 36" tall flight cages use the whole thing while the ones in the 54" flight cages really would be just as well off in the smaller height cage because they almost never hang out in the bottom unless I go down there with the mealies....
I accidentally ended up with a flight cage that's 5' wide, the same general depth as the others & about 2 1/2' tall, I put my group of 7 in it (meant to be temporary) it's sitting on top of a couple of my other cages so they're up really high....they LOVE it!!!

Teresa
Rockie,Princess,Scooter,Pumpkin
Chip,Embry,Gizmo,Piccachu
Bonnie,Clyde,JessieJames,Annie
Pez,Cotton,Carina,Taz,Bugz,Sugar,Spice
Ares,Athena,Hera,Hermes
Dingo,Raven,Rain,Ace
Dolly,Dusty,Derby
Dollop,Gemini,Gracie
Caimyn,Cassio,Casper
over the rainbow bridge Louie,Cocoa,Ross,Midnight,Dione,Dale
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: teriek] #854300
10/18/09 10:08 PM
10/18/09 10:08 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
My gliders use all their cage from top to bottom & side to side. They have plenty of room with them standing & I think they'd have plenty of room if I turned them on their side.

I don't think the height matters as much as the amount of space available.
Now for my reasoning...............
My tent is about 5'w x 5'd x 4' t, I worried that they wouldn't like it because it wasn't even as tall as their cage. They love it & for the most part they aren't interested in what is up high. They always have their gym and a few floor toys then they have vines & a trampoline up top, they spend their time playing in the bottom with the toys they prefer.
They like to jump sideways from a toy on the ground over to the mesh walls, in their cages it is pretty much the same they jump from a hammock over to the cage wall.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Trigger] #854528
10/19/09 11:33 AM
10/19/09 11:33 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I agree that space is the most important factor (over direction). I have 260 gallon repts upright and both sets of gliders use the entire cage, even after I set my wheel higher in the cage. I have an 8'x8'x7' play tent and find that they run around on the floor and climb/jump around all the way to the ceiling.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: sugarlope] #889590
01/05/10 11:38 AM
01/05/10 11:38 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
In addition to overall space - there needs to be OPEN spaces. I chose to use wire corner shelves in all of my cages that are about 9 inches on each side. They came with "ladders" that are 9 inches x 3 inches wide. I zip tied those in other corners as smaller shelves.

My cages are 54 or 55 inches high and the gliders all frequently launch themselves from one shelf to another - up, down and across the cage.

This gives them 4 landing spaces, one in each corner but each at different levels. The result is the center of the cage for the most part is wide open.

I see a lot of folks getting cages sold as "5 level cages" but the 3 shelves dividing the cage cover half the cage width and the full depth. This type configuration only gives gliders a straight jump space of about 18 inches - maximum if all 3 shelves are used. If the ladders that come with these cages are also used it will further DECREASE the jumping space. Gliders in cages using these configurations would be limited to climbing most of the time rather than jumping from one area of the cage to another.

Another random thought:
Judging from the paper in the bottom of the cages, one corner shelf has become the primary "pee here" spot. It makes me wonder if gliders in the wild have a location in their environment, away from the nest where they go to relieve themselves.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: CandyOtte] #889613
01/05/10 01:11 PM
01/05/10 01:11 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Originally Posted By: OtteMom

Another random thought:
Judging from the paper in the bottom of the cages, one corner shelf has become the primary "pee here" spot. It makes me wonder if gliders in the wild have a location in their environment, away from the nest where they go to relieve themselves.

I've noticed lately that there is a "potty area" in my gliders cage, too. Always right on one side, NEVER on the other.. though they seem to spend plenty of time playing on the other side. But..the side that they don't potty in has the food dish, so maybe that's why??

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: teriek] #1011546
09/30/10 09:10 PM
09/30/10 09:10 PM
New Hampshire
JeremyandLexie Offline
Glider Lover
JeremyandLexie  Offline
Glider Lover

New Hampshire
how did you find a 5 foot wide cage?

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1012684
10/03/10 11:18 PM
10/03/10 11:18 PM

E
ErichB
Unregistered
ErichB
Unregistered
E

She more then likely made one like I did out of PVC Shelving.

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1012690
10/03/10 11:41 PM
10/03/10 11:41 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
I would agree that overall space is key. If you're building a cage or looking for one though, I think that wider is better (providing your cage is already at least 36" high).

If you think about it, you would want to proportionately increase the size of all of your cage dimensions as your cage grew in size.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1013109
10/05/10 03:04 AM
10/05/10 03:04 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I also agree that overall space is best. from looking at pictures of cages on GC, most cages range from 3 feet to 5 feet. honestly there is not that much of a difference.
I have a glider room for play time, and they spend most of the time zipping around the floor. well...except for my daredevil Arwen who climbs on everything.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1179167
10/05/11 08:47 PM
10/05/11 08:47 PM

F
fran
Unregistered
fran
Unregistered
F

I ended up with a 5 1/2' wide cage. I bought a double wide flight cage with a divider. I had my eye on this little wfb listed in craigslist. apparently she got kicked out of her colony. so I being a newby was thinking if she wasn't able to go in eventually with the babies I am getting this week that she could be housed beside them after quarantine. Well thank heavens her owner was asking about the cage and and I told her it was divided. She said that would not work out well. Because if her little girl did not fit in with my babies and I housed them that way they would constantly be fighting through the divider. We both decided it wasn't worth the risk cause my cage is huge and I don't want to do another cage in that room.
A few days later some one posted on glider gossip about a "sad weekend" and sure enough one glider got through a divider and killed another. So my two babies will eventually have a 3'h x 22'w x 5 1/2' long mansion. The person told me if i got a solid divider even though they couldn't see each other they could smell each other and still try to get through. I would much rather my babies play then stress out over who lives next door.

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1181140
10/12/11 04:45 AM
10/12/11 04:45 AM
Iowa
E
eshaw Offline
Glider Lover
eshaw  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Iowa
I have to go with the wider is better crowd. My reasoning for this is because when a glider glides he/she glides at an angle, they don't normally just drop like a rock or glide at really steep angles. I agree that they do like to be up high, I believe that is only natural since they don't flap wings. They glide and therefore need to have the height to actually start the glide. Volume is also important so they have room to hop around in the cage without a lot of clutter impeding their movements. This is my take on it.

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1326982
02/13/13 05:52 PM
02/13/13 05:52 PM
Mi
O
Oplok Offline
Glider Lover
Oplok  Offline
Glider Lover
O

Mi
So I Have a 52" hieght, 36" wide and 18" depth cage. Can I turn it sideways and see how it works? I am going to figure out how to put it on a table and have a drop pan of some sort. Do you guys think this is ok?

Nancy

:bb: Joey (#1) :rbridge: you stole my heart

:wfb: = Joey (#2)
:rtmo: = Sarah
:leu: = Lexie - Cream Mosaic

New Mom, will be asking a 1001 questions :-P
Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1364221
02/22/14 11:00 PM
02/22/14 11:00 PM
Vero Beach, Florida
G
gliderstwo Offline
In Pouch
gliderstwo  Offline
In Pouch
G

Vero Beach, Florida
My husband just backed to back our 2 Brisbane cages together and it came out awesome. Huge cage and all 5 girls just love it.

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: gliderstwo] #1365785
03/18/14 02:49 PM
03/18/14 02:49 PM
BFE, Texas
6ftGlider Offline
Joey Member
6ftGlider  Offline
Joey Member

BFE, Texas
That's a great idea! I wish my 2 cages would line up like that.

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: cyndiekb] #1365787
03/18/14 03:31 PM
03/18/14 03:31 PM
VA
tsuggielove Offline
Out of Pouch
tsuggielove  Offline
Out of Pouch

VA
Originally Posted By: cyndiekb
Yeah I am thinking wider. I have been looking at pic's of cages one would normally think is fine but they are so full of toys I don't see how they could really move in them.

YES!! I see so many cages FULL of things that I wonder how they can run/glide/jump without something getting in their way.

My cages aren't full of toys but I change them every few weeks.

What's the point of having a big cage if they can't move freely?

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1377273
09/04/14 08:40 PM
09/04/14 08:40 PM
Iowa
K
konasmommy11 Offline
konasmommy11  Offline
K

Iowa
I'm a pretty new glider owner myself, so these are just observations of mine... I have 2 cages, one that is around 5 feet tall and fairly wide (not sure on exact sizes) and one that is a bit shorter and on a stand but wider. While watching my glider I noticed that he didn't use a lot of the space in his taller cage, he mainly just jumped side to side. And so I got the cage that was a bit wider and not as tall and he loves it, I see no problems with it either. He happily jumps side to side in the cage. I also agree with changing out toys instead of having so many they can't move or jump smile Just some observations from a new glider addict

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1377279
09/04/14 09:01 PM
09/04/14 09:01 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I have to agree with your observations. smile

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: GliderNursery] #1377283
09/04/14 09:15 PM
09/04/14 09:15 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
I agree as well. wink

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Taller is better than Wider [Re: Srlb] #1377820
09/12/14 08:53 PM
09/12/14 08:53 PM
in the void
M
mechnut450 Offline
Glider Guardian
mechnut450  Offline
Glider Guardian
M

in the void
I agree they love gliding space , I seen mine glide/plop to the bottom only to go potty some times or if they want my attention as it makes a lot of noise ( early morning type deal) But other wise they seem to crawl up and down the cage( I want to move some of items the wife thinks they nee to have in the cage ( open environment pouch) and a hanging toy. They don't really use either as they will bark ( for their sleeping pouch to be put in about 3 am ) if my wife takes it out earlier in the evening, and only use the OE pouch to come to the cage door when I am in the room I rather sleep in their wheel than in/on the open environment pouch)but you show them the bonding pouch and they will come to you for bed time lol if the other pouch is not there for them to sleep in.

Bowie,Misha :leu:
Peso, Bemo :rtmo:

Kahless :rtmo:

rehomed and missed Sasha, Sammi, Elda,
:rbridge: Momo, Sterling , Vino, Freya, Leeloo,
Muffin our first true fur master

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 411 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,585 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,165 UTAH
321,693 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024