Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does the nipping eventually stop? #1019526
10/19/10 01:36 PM
10/19/10 01:36 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline OP
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Maine
Because it really hurts. frown

I've had my girls a little over a week. They are about 10 weeks OOP. They came to me very well socialized and they don't seem afraid of me at all. If my hand is in the cage, they jump on it. If I stick my hand in their pouch, they gently groom me. Pasha does sometimes crab a bit, but she has gotten so much less crabby. She sounds almost half-hearted about it now, like she isn't even sure she wants to. Michi has never crabbed once in her life.

I have no troubles transferring them to their bonding pouch. And in tent time, they climb all over me, and have even run back to me when one of my dogs entered the room and startled them.

The nipping is the worst in the tent and when I stick my arm/hand in their cage. Their usual routine is to nip, then nip the same spot again, then brace their little feet and really dig their bottom teeth into me. It has never broken the skin but it really hurts, especially if they are around my fingernails, which is the spot they favor. They have me considering going back to acrylic nails!

I have always taken the bite. I've never corrected them beyond the PSSST noise (which doesn't seem to work) and/or gently rearranging my fingers around if they are really making me sore. But they are pretty hard to distract.

I have given up all lotions and I always wash my hands with plain water before handling them. So I don't think I smell tasty to them, unless they are craving human flesh! roflmao

I've been groomed by both of them and this isn't grooming (I don't think). Is it because I sometimes give them licky treats? Is it a baby thing? I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks!

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1019549
10/19/10 02:02 PM
10/19/10 02:02 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
sounds like you have a case of the "teenages" lol.

ALL our gliders have gone through a nipping stage. Usually between 3 and 6 months. ALL of ours have grown out of it as well. smile Just be patient and keep making those pssst noises at them when the decided to chomp on you! grin

Allie
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1019608
10/19/10 03:35 PM
10/19/10 03:35 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Don't worry, it will eventually get better. Like she said above, just continue the psst sounds whenever they do it... smile

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1019641
10/19/10 04:20 PM
10/19/10 04:20 PM

P
PennyBear
Unregistered
PennyBear
Unregistered
P

My two both do the nipping thing. Especially my female. They are both 3 months old so hopefully like stated above they will grow out of it.
The nipping is slight to hard but hasn't broken skin.
I have had bites that bled but that was when she was really scared and I had to grab a hold of her, which she hates.

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1019661
10/19/10 05:07 PM
10/19/10 05:07 PM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
One of my girls is doing this. No crabbing, just nibbling. The psst noise does help. Sometimes she will not do any biting at all, and then after playiing for an hour, she will decide its time to nibble. They arent being mean, just learning their boundaries and hoarsing around.

Dont take it personal, it will stop. My girl is fascinated with the beds of my finger nails too, she loves her some cuticle.

-Amber Nicole
Mama to 2 Mastiffs... Sonja & Angel
and
A Slave To Many... :grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo:
A loving wife to Chris

***Sprinkled With Sugar Paradise***
http://swsp.weebly.com
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020035
10/20/10 02:38 PM
10/20/10 02:38 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline OP
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Maine
They've started breaking the skin, as of last night. My toes and fingers are all swollen up, red and sore. I don't know what to do. frown The PSSST noise doesn't work at all with them, they don't even look up when I do it.

I can wear socks and slippers in tent time to protect my feet, but I don't know what to do about my hands. frown

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020055
10/20/10 03:44 PM
10/20/10 03:44 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
It WILL stop. In the meantime try redirecting their biting with something else. A toy or a yoggie instead of your skin.

Like was said above, they're testing their boundaries and seeing what they can get away with. They're a lot like human teenagers in a sense. smile

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 10/20/10 03:46 PM.

Allie
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020056
10/20/10 03:45 PM
10/20/10 03:45 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Do you feed them treats at all when you're handling them? If so, you could have some of the smell and stuff on your fingers.

I remember one time when I feed my gliders oranges and had the smell on my fingers, my glider Pip went into savage mode and tried to rip my fingers off! This only happened once (thank God) and I've since learned my lesson, lol.

I really hope they stop for you. Glider bites really, really hurt.

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020085
10/20/10 04:40 PM
10/20/10 04:40 PM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
Here's what I do when mine bite...

Do the rose petal thing where you say, "he loves me, he loves me not"

Every time you get bitten, switch between those sayings. byt he time they stop, you are usually on "He loves me" smile

-Amber Nicole
and
A loving wife to Chris

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: Mastiff_Mama] #1020173
10/20/10 08:57 PM
10/20/10 08:57 PM
Delaware
lkettner Offline
Joey Member
lkettner  Offline
Joey Member

Delaware
My girls will be a year next month. I have had them only a little over a month. I too felt that Luna would never stop biting me. She has improved so very much. Just be patient and use the techniques suggested above. Just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Luna is mouthy in general. I also thought she was biting my back and then later found out she was grooming me. She uses her bottom teeth. Hurts all the same. Once I found out it was grooming, I felt more loved and didnt feel she was doing it out of anger.

I will agree about food smell on your hands. I have learned the hard way to not try to pick them up after I have had something yummy to eat or been into their food or treats.

Be patient. It will stop or at least in my case improve tremendously!!

~Lucinda

I heart:grey: Stella and Luna
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: lkettner] #1020388
10/21/10 11:26 AM
10/21/10 11:26 AM

P
PennyBear
Unregistered
PennyBear
Unregistered
P

My girl will nip at my toes during tent time. I have to watch her when she goes up to my feet cause I know what she is thinking! I think she thinks its funny tounge

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020437
10/21/10 02:47 PM
10/21/10 02:47 PM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
I had never been groomed until I got my second pair. I thought they were trying to attack me without crabbing. Then I learned it was grooming, so I did feel more loved.

There is a major different between them using their bottom teeth and top AND bottom. I think that is what happened when our little man bit my husbands nose, I think he used just his bottoms, because my husband said it felt like he scraped his nose.

gotta love our little suga bugs

-Amber Nicole
and
A loving wife to Chris

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020476
10/21/10 05:06 PM
10/21/10 05:06 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline OP
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Maine
Thanks everyone.

It's definitely not just the bottom teeth, and it's not grooming. They've groomed me some and while it can get a little rough, it's quite tolerable.

I wish I could say that it's hurting my feelings more than my person, but the truth is that it was actually hard to work today with my sore fingers. I am going to have to figure something out until the end of lobstering season; I need to be able to use my hands 100%!

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: ] #1020496
10/21/10 06:11 PM
10/21/10 06:11 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Originally Posted By: PennyBear
My girl will nip at my toes during tent time. I have to watch her when she goes up to my feet cause I know what she is thinking! I think she thinks its funny tounge

I thought i was the only one with gliders that nip toes!! i lay on my tummy in the tent sometimes and have my knees bent so my feet are up, its cute cause they use them as like a landing pad, until they nibble a toe!!! its so hard not to kick, i dont want to launch my gliders when they arent ready!

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Violet, Lavender & Indigo
Amaretto & Bailey
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :plat: :leu:
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020609
10/21/10 10:09 PM
10/21/10 10:09 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
I agree with everyone else...it WILL get better. My Bug is young and will sometimes do the "full on" with me. If she's not getting enough attention, for instance...she'll run to my wrist, look at me, grab hold tightly with all fours and take a chomp! Yep...it's to say "Yo, woman! Hellooooooo!!!!" LOL I'm sorry you're having a tough time with it. It'll improve...I know we keep saying that, but keep your chin up!

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020611
10/21/10 10:12 PM
10/21/10 10:12 PM
Indiana
Heathr6913 Offline
Glider Guardian
Heathr6913  Offline
Glider Guardian

Indiana
Bella's favorite thing to do during tent time is run up my body and bite me right in the sensitive part of the underneath of my arm in between my shoulder and elbow. Then she takes off running. She thinks its funny! I always have to wear long sleeves with her in the tent lol

**Heather**
Gliders- Izzy, Bella, and Snitch :grey:
Gem and Rodeo :wfb:
Cameo :rtmo:
Winter :leu:

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020651
10/21/10 11:58 PM
10/21/10 11:58 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Just hang in there, it will get better with time.

When my sister and I got our very first gliders, hers was an angel from day one and mine was a demon! I was SO beyond upset and would almost cry cause she hated me so much. I never thought she would love me and I never thought she would stop crabbing/biting at me. Then one day, out of nowhere, she just stopped everything. Man was I relieved, lol. And now, she's one of the sweetest gliders I have.

I know that your gliders don't hate you, but it's pretty much the same case. They just need more time to get used to you so that they can trust you. Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be, but all I can say is hang in there and tough it out... hug2

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

RIP David
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020789
10/22/10 10:05 AM
10/22/10 10:05 AM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline OP
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Maine
Thanks Megan smile I totally get what you are saying about two gliders being night and day. Michi & Pasha are twin sisters but couldn't be more different! Michi hasn't crabbed a day in her life but Pasha is all lungs, lol!

Last night's tent time was inexplicably much nicer. I have no clue why but they only chomped once, and it wasn't even on me (they went for my husband).

I've been trying hard to not act like anything is wrong. I don't show any fear of them at all, even when they snuffling up around my ears, and I think that is helping.

It's hard because I felt such overwhelming love for them from the first moment I laid eyes on them, whereas I know they are animals and they have to get to know me. It's not even been two weeks yet. It just feels like much longer because I adore them so much!

Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1020965
10/23/10 01:04 AM
10/23/10 01:04 AM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Glad to know they didn't bite you, sorry for your hubby though, lol.

I SO know where you're coming from. The first time I laid eyes on them, I was in love. And in my mind, they were perfect little creatures that could do NO wrong. Well, Miss Sadie proved me wrong, lol. Now, I do expect them to love me from day one, but I do look forward to the bonding.

Hope you continue to progress in the bonding with less biting... wink

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

RIP David
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1021053
10/23/10 10:45 AM
SE Michigan
VanessaNichole Offline
Glider Guardian
VanessaNichole  Offline
Glider Guardian

SE Michigan
Will it stop with a 2 year old that nips though? It has seemed to get worse after I got the baby.. as well as the crabs. He didn't do it much before I got Lilo..

Vanessa, Monroe MI

Lilo • 66% Leu het (10.16.10 - present)
Miles • WF 100% Cremino het (1.13.14 - present)
Stitch • RIP <3 (8.19.10 - 11.19.13)
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1021054
SE Michigan
VanessaNichole Offline
Glider Guardian
VanessaNichole  Offline
Glider Guardian

SE Michigan
He will do it when I'm entering the pouch..

Vanessa, Monroe MI

Lilo • 66% Leu het (10.16.10 - present)
Miles • WF 100% Cremino het (1.13.14 - present)
Stitch • RIP <3 (8.19.10 - 11.19.13)
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1021127
10/23/10 02:57 PM
10/23/10 02:57 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
He's probably still adjusting to his new buddy. He should start to calm down and go back to normal in a couple weeks after he gets used to him.

I've never personally had that happen, though. Usually when you put another glider in with a single one, they're sweeter and want to approach you more. But every glider is different, so he may just not want to be as friendly as possible right now, lol. Maybe just carry them around in a bonding pouch as much as you can and offer them some dried fruits when you open the pouch. Sooner or later, he will begin to trust you enough to not bite... thumb

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

RIP David
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: IslandGliders] #1021148
10/23/10 05:00 PM
10/23/10 05:00 PM
Iowa
N
nicolew07 Offline
Glider Explorer
nicolew07  Offline
Glider Explorer
N

Iowa
I am going through the same thing! I have had my girls for almost 2 months now and Pixie doesn't usually bite unless she wants something but Trixie bites me all the time, she could just be sitting on me and my hand be close to her and she will just grab it and bite it lol over and over again, nothing seems to help her either but I am trying to be patient

Nicole

Pixie :wfb: & Trixie :wfb:
Re: Does the nipping eventually stop? [Re: nicolew07] #1021367
10/24/10 12:25 PM
10/24/10 12:25 PM

P
PennyBear
Unregistered
PennyBear
Unregistered
P

This is the same with my girl. She doesn't really seem to have a reason for her biting. She isn't mad or scared because she comes right up to my finger and nips it,almost curiously, not too hard at first but she will do it progressively harder. Testing or tasting who knows, but it will be nice when she stops doing that. It seems to be more so when she is out running and playing then when I have her in her pouch. She almost never bites at me in the pouch only when she is out running around and playing. That is why I kind of think it is a boundaries kind of testing to see what she can get away with. lol so much like my son who is 7 and a constant tester. crazy

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024