Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Potty Training? #1033196
11/20/10 09:48 PM
11/20/10 09:48 PM

Q
QTCourtney
Unregistered
QTCourtney
Unregistered
Q

I have read that gliders are easily potty trained. What I mean by this is that when I take them out of their pouch I should be able to let them "go" on a napkin or something and then they will continue on their way mess free. When I try to do this 1. They wont sit still for me to hold the tissue under them and 2. They don't go right when they get up, in fact it seems like they go two or three times while I'm playing with them so how do I know when to get the tissue? Is this potty training a myth, or does it only work with some gliders? If you guys have any tips please share them because frankly I am tired of getting pooped on. haha

Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1033197
11/20/10 09:57 PM
11/20/10 09:57 PM
atkins arkansas
eterrell84 Offline
Glider Addict
eterrell84  Offline
Glider Addict

atkins arkansas
sorry bud, its a myth! now, i let mine wake up, ply for about 30 minutes, THEN take them out. theyve usually gone about twice by now, so any mess is minimal

~ERIN~ momma to:ceasar(boxer),Chili(pug),Badcat(black cat) and Juliette(ragamuffin)~Apple:grey:and Archer:grey:and George Micheal:grey:Maybe:grey:and Jasper :wfb:,husband Jordan and daughter Azlyn!heart
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1033199
11/20/10 10:04 PM
11/20/10 10:04 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
It doesn't bother me to get pottied on. In fact, I consider it an honor to be peed on because I believe they're marking me.

If I'm going out or expecting company, I will change shirts. You could have a special shirt just for when they wake up and potty, then change shirts.

Honestly, it seems like they can hold a pound of poo and a gallon of pee. Some potty a lot. Roo never seems to empty. Others don't potty on me at all.

I do agree with the letting them play in their cage for a few minutes before you take them out, to hopefully give them a chance to get rid of most of the poo and pee.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1033228
11/20/10 11:37 PM
11/20/10 11:37 PM
New Hampshire
JeremyandLexie Offline
Glider Lover
JeremyandLexie  Offline
Glider Lover

New Hampshire
I hold them over the cage or over a big piece of paper towel. The girl is very good she knows she gets shirt time if she does her business. The boy would rather stay in the pouch, he's a but lazy LOL

If they are some what bonded to you let them climb hand to hand and make a tunnel with your hands, also stimulating with a baby wipe works.

Last edited by JeremyandLexie; 11/20/10 11:38 PM.
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1033239
11/21/10 12:26 AM
11/21/10 12:26 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Yep, the potty training thing is a myth. Can you get them to go potty when they first come out of their pouch? Yes. I do. When mine come out of my bra or the pouch, they will dive headfirst into the palm of my hand to go in a tissue. But...that's it...they don't make that same dive every time they need to go to the bathroom....they go when and where they please and will always do that, no matter what anyone tells you! Gliders cannot be potty trained. thumb

Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1033245
11/21/10 12:57 AM
11/21/10 12:57 AM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
I've noticed mine at least always go in the same corner of the cage, in a sense training themselves where to go, but outside of the cage, no rules exist. They go while running and jumping and it lands where ever it wants!

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1033455
11/21/10 03:34 PM
11/21/10 03:34 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Definitely a myth. I do the same as Erin. I let mine play for a little while in the cage, then get them out. It seems to work out nicely... wink

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1033852
11/22/10 05:35 PM
11/22/10 05:35 PM
Palmyra, VA
ChrissysGliderz Offline
Glider Guardian
ChrissysGliderz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Palmyra, VA
If I know that I am going to take my suggies out for play time. I usually let the play in cage for a couple minutes before I take them out smile Mine use the bathroom as soon as I take them out lol

Christina

www.SlumberSuggies.com
Email: slumbersuggies@aol.com
Cell:(434)806-9791

:rbridge: Lacy
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ChrissysGliderz] #1034642
11/24/10 03:27 PM
11/24/10 03:27 PM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline
Glider Guardian
myliljadagirl  Offline
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
I am in the process of "potty training" Jada and Sydney (I do not feel this is 100%...but it is working)...

Jada is doing much better then Sydney is but that is only because I have had Jada longer!

This is what I have done...
I pull her out of her pouch and as soon as I do I put her down in the same place every time in her cage. I then tell her "go potty...go potty Jada" and 9 times out of 10...she will. I will then tell her "good girl...good girl...thank you!"

She now will jump back into her cage to go potty...then back onto me once she is done! Now it does not work all them time, and since getting Sydney she is going on me and is "claiming" me alot. But the fact is I do this and say this to her about 5-10x a day! The tissue I have not tried, but I have a feeling they would flip out over the scary white thing I am trying to place under there bum! lol

I am not sure if this will help and it is working some but I do not look at it as "potty training" rather I look at as she is being polite and loves me enough to do what I ASK her to do!

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-
Peppermint :leu: & Porsche
Jada, & Orchid :grey:
Benz, :rtmo: Gomer
Preston & Lina :wfb:
:rbridge: Sydney, & Ozzie!
www.Facebook.com/naturalglider
www.Naturalglider.weebly.com

Re: Potty Training? [Re: myliljadagirl] #1034655
11/24/10 04:11 PM
11/24/10 04:11 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Originally Posted By: myliljadagirl
I am in the process of "potty training" Jada and Sydney (I do not feel this is 100%...but it is working)...

Jada is doing much better then Sydney is but that is only because I have had Jada longer!

This is what I have done...
I pull her out of her pouch and as soon as I do I put her down in the same place every time in her cage. I then tell her "go potty...go potty Jada" and 9 times out of 10...she will. I will then tell her "good girl...good girl...thank you!"

She now will jump back into her cage to go potty...then back onto me once she is done! Now it does not work all them time, and since getting Sydney she is going on me and is "claiming" me alot. But the fact is I do this and say this to her about 5-10x a day! The tissue I have not tried, but I have a feeling they would flip out over the scary white thing I am trying to place under there bum! lol

I am not sure if this will help and it is working some but I do not look at it as "potty training" rather I look at as she is being polite and loves me enough to do what I ASK her to do!

Wow, really? I hope they continue to potty train for you... wink

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1034687
11/24/10 05:37 PM
11/24/10 05:37 PM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
I know when mine need to go, such as right after waking up and so forth so I put them on a special cloth.

BUT my one and only boy, when he is in my shirt, if he has to poo, he will walk backwards up my front until his bum is sticking out the collar of my shirt and poo outside of my shirt. Its like he KNOWS he has to poo and he doesnt want to do it in my bra, so he purposely sticks his butt out to potty. Its like HELLO MOMMY look at my butt with poo coming out then GOODBYE and down he goes back into my shirt. I dunno if this is a good thign or not dunno My husband thinks its hilarious.

-Amber Nicole
Mama to 2 Mastiffs... Sonja & Angel
and
A Slave To Many... :grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo:
A loving wife to Chris

***Sprinkled With Sugar Paradise***
http://swsp.weebly.com
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1034690
11/24/10 05:50 PM
11/24/10 05:50 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
I may be playing devils advocate here. But WHY do we all automatically assume that gliders cannot be potty trained? I do it too, and I tell everyone that they are not potty-trainable.

But, gliders ARE smart. They can learn their names and some can learn things like "come" and "yoggie" (lol) So why is it that they can't be potty trained to go when you tell them "potty"?

Generally, gliders do not potty in their sleeping pouch. This leads me to believe that they really do know when they have to go. Most of our gliders (in our home) poo and pee in one certain area in their cages as well. So they know in their cage where is appropriate and where is not appropriate to go. Couldn't this be applied outside the cage too?

I'm not talking about the scent marking pee. Which is think is inevitable, especially with intact males. But that initial whoooosh of pee when they get up or that pound of poo they feel they need to expel upon waking as well. Couldn't this be redirected so they can learn where to go?

It would probably take a lot of work, but I'd be interested to learn if they can in fact be trained outside the cage.

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 11/24/10 05:51 PM.

Allie
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1034695
11/24/10 06:30 PM
11/24/10 06:30 PM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
You know, my ex actually taught his parrot to poop on command, so maybe it can be done. I just wouldnt have the time nor patience to be at it 24/7.

-Amber Nicole
Mama to 2 Mastiffs... Sonja & Angel
and
A Slave To Many... :grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo:
A loving wife to Chris

***Sprinkled With Sugar Paradise***
http://swsp.weebly.com
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1034709
11/24/10 07:51 PM
11/24/10 07:51 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I personally think it CAN be done. But I truthfully dont care to try. It is such a small amount it doesnt bother me. My girls do always use the same corner of the cage. And when I have them on my they always use the same area on me as well. so I just get a tissue and hold it there, they go, no worries

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1034721
11/24/10 08:31 PM
11/24/10 08:31 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
You CAN condition them to go potty right when they get up. They will go again at a later time (like during play time) and give you no warning. It is a kind of potty training, because you are getting their bodies used to acting a certain way, however - it is not potty training like a cat or dog (go one place, not somewhere else).

My gliders (for the most part, one of them is a little stubborn, lol) 1. Do not go potty in their pouches, 2. Will go potty as soon as they wake up, 3. Will let me know they have to go potty when they are being carried in pouch or in my bra and will wait/hold it - not forever, but for a couple of minutes until I take them out to go (if I wait longer, I will get peed or pooped on). 4. Two of them (used to be three, but I don't take my oldest out and about much any more) will go potty either in a tissue or in the toilet while sitting on my hand, when we are out and about, 5. Go potty in the same place on the side of their cage when they first wake up on their own (the rest of the night is a free for all).

How/why they do this? Because I have always been extremely consistent and we know what to expect from each other.

Every time I wake them up (I do mean EVERY single time) I take them out and stimulate them to go potty (with a moist qtip or a slightly damp tissue). When you do this every time, their bodies get in the habit of waking up and going immediately. Each glider is different, I have one that poops first and then pees, I have another that pees, poops, pees and poops again (or she isn't finished). You have to learn what is normal for each glider. Once they are completely finished, you can put them in their carry pouch, bra, or give them a treat and let them go back to their cage pouch. I do mean every time you wake them up for ANY reason.

If you keep doing this religiously, they will eventually get up and go immediately on their own. One of mine has to be standing on the stainless steel sink to go (something about the cold on her feet, I think) but she does this because every time I took her out to go potty, I set her on the divider between the two sinks, so now that is what she is used to. Most of mine will go on the counter, the top of their cage on a paper towel, or in my hand (with a tissue or without), because they just know they get up and go. If I don't carry them for a few days, or if we start having messes in their cage pouches, or if I'm in a hurry, I just stimulate them to go potty again when I wake them up.

Now because I have done this every time, the other behaviors just happened. Pascal and Maia in particular (and Kira before she got too sick to go out) are so conditioned to not want to go in their pouch/my bra, that they would try to come out. Kira and Pascal have always come to the top of their carry pouch and pulled at the zipper. If I didn't notice right away, they will fuss (very short quiet crab) and I get to the bathroom, let them out and they go in my hand or Pascal will go over the toilet (he hangs his bottom off my hand). Maia is in my bra most of the time, so she starts wiggling and popping her head out and I know she has to go, so we get to a bathroom and she will potty in my hand.

I think they go the same place in the cage because they are so used to going as soon as they get out of the pouch.

I always get pottied on during playtime (but many times, they are marking me on purpose anyway, lol).

Consistency is the key. I used to tell all the people that got joeys from me about doing it this way and those that did (every time) had the same experiences I have had, those that would do it sporadically or not at all didn't. If you aren't going to commit, don't expect results. Also, the older the glider, the longer it takes because you are retraining their body to do something different than they have previously. thumb

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1034759
11/24/10 10:48 PM
11/24/10 10:48 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
My gliders are 100% potty trained ~ they pee and poo on me every time I take them out! They are very consistent! roflmao

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Potty Training? [Re: ] #1034766
11/24/10 11:04 PM
11/24/10 11:04 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Shelly---- roflmao We have the same training technique!

I want to caution people about holding their gliders over toilets, ESPECIALLY in public. Many public toilets are now self flushing. BE VERY CAREFUL not to have your gliders OUT if they are self flushing. If a glider falls into the toilet it can be flushed (it has happened).

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Potty Training? [Re: Dancing] #1034778
11/24/10 11:34 PM
11/24/10 11:34 PM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline
Glider Guardian
myliljadagirl  Offline
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
That is so funny!!!!

But not the part about the glider's being "flushed"!!!!! I can't even think about having my gliders any where close to a toilet much less one that so many people use every day!!! Every time I walk into the bathroom with one of my girl's in my bra...I ALWAYS hold the top of my shirt "just in case!"

As for the potty training...I feel that every glider is unique...there for maybe that is why people say they can not be "potty trained" I do the same thing with Jada every time I get her out, every time we are together, every time I work with her and I am saying to her "please go potty...then we will come out and play!" and she is use to me doing this, so she is willing to do it! There are other times she is not so interested in doing what I ask her, but I continue to try! I am not overly in love with the idea of being "pee'd" on but much of that is because I am a bit of a germ'a'phobe! lol this is not there fault...I just wanted to try to figure out if there was any kind of chance "potty training" would be an option! Well because when they first wake up (for my girls) that is when they "go" the most...so if they can try to not go on mum...I am a bit more happy! And I think it makes them happy to do it because they see me acting like a fruit-loop whenever they go when I ask them to, and I tell them how awesome they are! smile

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-
Peppermint :leu: & Porsche
Jada, & Orchid :grey:
Benz, :rtmo: Gomer
Preston & Lina :wfb:
:rbridge: Sydney, & Ozzie!
www.Facebook.com/naturalglider
www.Naturalglider.weebly.com

Re: Potty Training? [Re: Dancing] #1034784
11/24/10 11:39 PM
11/24/10 11:39 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Shelly---- roflmao We have the same training technique!

I want to caution people about holding their gliders over toilets, ESPECIALLY in public. Many public toilets are now self flushing. BE VERY CAREFUL not to have your gliders OUT if they are self flushing. If a glider falls into the toilet it can be flushed (it has happened).

That's a VERY good point - years ago when Pascal started doing this, there were a lot fewer self flushing toilets around the places we went. As he's gotten older, he hardly ever wakes up when he's out. thumb

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024