Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? #1030742
11/15/10 04:05 AM
11/15/10 04:05 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I like this fact or fiction topic area.

interesting reading!

Here I would like to hear about everyone's thoughts on leashes. Better yet, some experiences on leashes, if any.

I am playing devil's advocate here, so please be nice, and teach everyone through reasonable thinking and gentle debate. smile

ok, here goes...
Are they really dangerous? what if a baby was taught from a young age to wear one? What is worse a "possible" injury, or a glider lost in the streets because it jumped off you? Have you ever seen or heard of a real injury from a leash? what type of leash was used? was the glider properly conditioned to wearing it?

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1030772
11/15/10 06:19 AM
11/15/10 06:19 AM
Upstate NY (Adirondack region)
ShazMom Offline
Glider Explorer
ShazMom  Offline
Glider Explorer

Upstate NY (Adirondack region)
Hello!
Good one!
I am not experienced with the leash thing, but I was told by my glier vet ABSOLUTELY NOT to use a leash. She stated that the figure of 8 leash that is out there for gliders can cause irrepairable damage to their pataguim. If they pull away fast and spred their membrane she told me it could easily tear and injure and maim them.

But, that is not an experience I want to even try!
POUCH it is!

Good topic, JillMarie!

Colleen (ShazMom)
Buddy :grey:
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1030775
11/15/10 07:55 AM
11/15/10 07:55 AM
Cincy
Thumper Offline
Glider Explorer
Thumper  Offline
Glider Explorer

Cincy
I was given leashes with my first 2 gliders. I did use them twice before learning they shouldn't be used. They were the type that goes around their neck. There were no injuries but I also didn't hold on to the leash either since they never even offered to jump off of me. I still have them around here somewhere waiting to find something useful to do with them. I don't know if they really are dangerous or not but I will play it safe and never use them for their intended purpose.

Bobbi

:wfb: :leu: :grey: :rtmo: Jade, Kea, JimBob, Topaz, Sunny, Bruce, Selena, Harlan, Airyelle, George, Gracie and Pugsley.
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1030804
11/15/10 09:32 AM
11/15/10 09:32 AM
richmond,indiana
D
dizzyblue Offline
Glider Lover
dizzyblue  Offline
Glider Lover
D

richmond,indiana
I've never used a suggie leash.I've used (unsuccessfully!!!) a ferret leash. But to me ferrets are much less fragile than a glider.
I don't think a glider could very much hurt itself in a leash by escaping it and getting it twisted around its body. But just the awkward pressure of it detours me.And the weight of it would be an issue also. Wow I really don't know the right answer.

Please some experienced people come along!!And help us out!!!

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1030823
11/15/10 10:09 AM
11/15/10 10:09 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
I would think that it can be really dangerous to use a leash on a glider.

1. If you are to use a leash, and your glider jumps, I don't see how he could escape unharmed.

2. If you use a harness type leash, the patagium will be affected.

3. Potential strangulation hazard.

4. I've seen these leashes and the leash is made of unsafe material and a nail can get stuck.

5. Gliders are free roamers, and being restricted like that just does not make any sense at all. It would be harmful to your bonding as well I would say.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1030976
11/15/10 05:07 PM
11/15/10 05:07 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Ok, I'll be totally honest here. I want to start off with saying - I do not advocate the use of leashes.

I DO know of people that have had glider injuries occur while leashes were on and I have seen pictures of some of them. I can't say how often those gliders had used leashes or what their personalities were.

When I got gliders over 9 years ago, I used a harness style leash with 2 of my gliders. I trained them into it (I didn't just put on a leash one day and go). With Kira in particular, I used a leash fairly often, and she would actually sit still to let me put it on and adjust it.

Neither ever got hurt wearing a leash (no loss of fur, rope burn, tears, never got tangled, etc.) and it allowed them extra freedoms that I would not have let them experience without a leash. Kira was very active and would run all around and frequently launch her self at (sometimes unexpecting) people that were nearby.

I primarily stopped using leashes because Kira got sick, so I stopped letting people see her in those kinds of situations. But I have never trained any of my other gliders to a leash and I have not used them at all since Kira was about 2 1/2 years old (and I no longer have any of the leashes).

I know that leashes are not always harmful, but not everyone is me. I also know, from my experience in this community, that many times leashes are very harmful, and when they are, it is very serious, traumatic and painful, if not deadly for the glider.

My perspectives on many aspects of glider ownership and handling have changed A LOT since they were first introduced into my life, but that is a conversation for another day. wink

Last edited by sugarlope; 11/15/10 05:16 PM. Reason: added note about jumping

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: Gizmogirl] #1030983
11/15/10 05:17 PM
11/15/10 05:17 PM
Palmyra, VA
ChrissysGliderz Offline
Glider Guardian
ChrissysGliderz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Palmyra, VA
Originally Posted By: Gizmogirl
I would think that it can be really dangerous to use a leash on a glider.

1. If you are to use a leash, and your glider jumps, I don't see how he could escape unharmed.

2. If you use a harness type leash, the patagium will be affected.

3. Potential strangulation hazard.

4. I've seen these leashes and the leash is made of unsafe material and a nail can get stuck.

5. Gliders are free roamers, and being restricted like that just does not make any sense at all. It would be harmful to your bonding as well I would say.

I have to say that when I got my very first glider I used a leash and she hated it. After about 2 attempts I realized that this could truely be dangerous to their patagium and very uncomfortable. I tossed it in the trash. The best way that I get my gliders to stay with me is through bonding. My leu male is so stuck to me like glue if I put him on my moms should and say "come to mommy romeo lol" her glides straight to me and if he falls he runs to me like a puppy it is so cute.

Christina

www.SlumberSuggies.com
Email: slumbersuggies@aol.com
Cell:(434)806-9791

:rbridge: Lacy
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1035005
11/25/10 03:56 PM
11/25/10 03:56 PM

C
cherylclemons
Unregistered
cherylclemons
Unregistered
C

I putt a leash on my baby one time and will never do it again she got vwry angry and tried gettin it off and she got it stuck in her teeth so I will not ever use one again.

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1035086
11/25/10 10:40 PM
11/25/10 10:40 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

I don't know if gliders could be trained to them or not, and I was not in the glider community when they were commonly used.

I know that for myself, I am afraid to put them on my gliders. I do not want to pay exorbitant vet bills for torn patagiums, and I do not want a noose around their neck that will snap it if they hit the end of the line like a dog on a chain. It's not worth it. I have bonded my gliders to me, and I don't take them anywhere that I don't trust them. If they wake up while I am out and they want out of the pouch, we go home or find a safe space. I just do not know of any leash or harness that is safe to use for a glider so I will not do it. If someone new to gliders or thinking of getting gliders asks me, I will not make the decision for them, but I will tell them my choices and why.

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1035102
11/25/10 11:41 PM
11/25/10 11:41 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I wouldn't use a leash on a glider - ever. They just aren't the type of animal that a leash should be used on. If it's the type of leash that just goes around their neck, it could potentially cause damage if they jump off of you ~ they can only jump as far as the end of the leash. That could potentially cause a neck injury, or worst case death by a broken neck.

If it's the harness type, that would be safer as far as the neck is concerned. But now you have increased the risk of patagium injuries.

When I take my gliders out, they are in a zippered bonding pouch. If they get a bit to rambunctious in there, I have travel cages with me that they have a bit more freedom in. Both methods are safe with minimal to no risk of injury! (I say minimal because some gliders can/do chew out of pouches, although mine don't.)

So, IMO, YES ~ leashes are dangerous!

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1035130
11/26/10 02:25 AM
11/26/10 02:25 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I love the thought in on sense, but even before I did my massive research I figured (my common sense told me anyway) that it was a bad idea for the reasons above (strangulation, unsafe fabric, patagium damage, etc).

Then I did my research on leashes themselves and was glad that I followed my gut instinct and that I had actually learned SOMETHING in what very little research I had done at that point in time. smile

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1035152
11/26/10 04:00 AM
11/26/10 04:00 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
thanks for all the comments so far. smile

and I want to reiterate that I am not specifically approving or disproving the safety of leashes.

just that there may be many perspectives to any subject and I thought many opinions showing both sides was a good topic for this particular forum (fact or fiction)

^website link wink

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1035168
11/26/10 11:16 AM
11/26/10 11:16 AM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
I just recently saw an ad somewhere for a glider leash. I do not know where I noticed it, but it made me cringe. It was the kind that fit like a ferret leash around their bellys and shoulders.

My first thought was of a glider wearing one and then jumping. If the owner did not let go, I could only imagine their bones breaking if the force was right. YIKES!

After that thought, I clicked off the ad and had to stop thinking about it.

-Amber Nicole
Mama to 2 Mastiffs... Sonja & Angel
and
A Slave To Many... :grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo:
A loving wife to Chris

***Sprinkled With Sugar Paradise***
http://swsp.weebly.com
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1035390
11/27/10 02:27 AM
11/27/10 02:27 AM

M
MikeandSyd
Unregistered
MikeandSyd
Unregistered
M

So in the short time I have been researching gliders I have heard both sides on the good and bad of leashes. In my opinion in an animal as small as a glider a leash is not safe at all. They are very limber lil critters but their necks are not strong enough to handle being on a leash.

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1037177
12/06/10 05:53 PM
12/06/10 05:53 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I emailed a friend of mine, who contacted a respected glider vet. This is the response I got: (copied and pasted from the email)

"Like to know what Dr.Tristan had to say about leashes...
Leashes,
I have never seen a problem with leashes, but I am sure if a glider tries had enough they COULD do some damage. That said it is highly unlikely.
As for breaking their necks---never heard of one doing it and again, I think it would be an oddity. Their necks are so short, they would be hard to break them...medically speaking.
The patagium - depends on how the leash is made, but I think that would be more of a problem from constricting the patagium....hard to put a harness on them without putting strain on the patagium
There you go
Tim
So if you would like to use this from a *veterinarians prospective* feel free."

just wanted to share this.

^website link wink

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1037237
12/06/10 09:10 PM
12/06/10 09:10 PM
United States
Temulin Offline
Glider Lover
Temulin  Offline
Glider Lover

United States
I know I read somewhere about leashes when I first got Fev and my immediate concern was "won't it hurt their 'wings?'" Seems like these guys instinctively fly and I'd think the leash being in the way of their wing flap could cause damage, not to mention a nasty fall if they tried to jump and couldn't glider. I've seen Fev do some real daredevil glides that just make me cringe and hope he knows what he's doing - I would not wanna see that happen with a leash.

"If we sliced today's tomatoes yesterday, they'd be yesterday's tomatoes."

:grey: Lord Feverstone
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: Temulin] #1037317
12/07/10 01:43 AM
12/07/10 01:43 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
I have been around in the Glider Community for a very very long time and have owned gliders for over fourteen years.

As to leashes...

Figure Eight... never used one on a glider. Do not like the idea of the leash going around the body.

Tether... this one I have used on many of my own gliders. It loops around the gliders neck with a slide lock.

When I have used a tether... it was only when the glider was tame enough to let me hold him/her first.

At first... when using a tether... the glider may try to leap off of your body only finding himself at the end of the rope so to speak of which the owner must quickly retrieve him/her and put the glider back on their body. After a couple of times of doing so... the glider figures out that jumping off is not the best plan of action.

Using a leash must be used by a responsible person at all times. Never is a tethered glider to be left unattended or with a child.

By the way... a tethered glider will climb up the restraint no matter how thin it is. However, I prefer one a friend made me many years ago which is made from a light weight braided cord like material with the slide locks.

Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1037321
12/07/10 01:50 AM
12/07/10 01:50 AM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
Personally, I don't like the idea of using leashes. And I feel with a truely bonded glider, you wouldn't need one. I can have most of my gliders out pretty much anywhere and they never try to escape. They seem to know their room is the "safe" place to jump off, but will stay on my shoulder or in my pocket anywhere else.

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: Are Sugar Glider Leashes Dangerous? [Re: JillMarie] #1037515
12/07/10 04:00 PM
12/07/10 04:00 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Quote:
At first... when using a tether... the glider may try to leap off of your body only finding himself at the end of the rope so to speak of which the owner must quickly retrieve him/her and put the glider back on their body. After a couple of times of doing so... the glider figures out that jumping off is not the best plan of action.

I wouldn't like to try to go somewhere and be jerked to a sudden stop either. Smart babies, good thing they learn quick. smile

Quote:
I have never seen a problem with leashes, but I am sure if a glider tries had enough they COULD do some damage. That said it is highly unlikely.

There are several things that are "highly unlikely", yet we've seen happen to sugar gliders.

IMO, it's just not worth the "unlikely" risk of accident/injury. Take the time to bond with your gliders, and I think you'll find that a leash is not necessary. bonding pouches or the t-shirts/sweatshirts with built in pouches are a much nicer way to go with your gliders. And - they are much more comfortable that way!

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024