Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
question about smoking.. #1043197
12/19/10 12:28 AM
12/19/10 12:28 AM

B
babygemmy
Unregistered
babygemmy
Unregistered
B

well, I'm just going to come out and say it. Don't judge me, because I wouldn't judge you. My boyfriend and I smoke marijuana. We are getting a glider this week for christmas, and are sure about everything except one thing. We know the marijuana plant itself is toxic, but we don't have any of those around. I also want to say, I'm not asking about getting my glider high, I'm not trying to abuse my baby, so don't think that please. We just want to know if smoking in the same room with the glider is going to harm it. Even if we had like a blanket over the cage? Keep in mind we aren't going to be blowing the smoke in the direction of the glider. so please, help!

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043199
12/19/10 12:31 AM
12/19/10 12:31 AM

B
babygemmy
Unregistered
babygemmy
Unregistered
B

and, tobacco? we smoke cigarettes too. But again, it would just be in the same room. or when it's in the pouch.

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043210
12/19/10 12:39 AM
12/19/10 12:39 AM
Ohio, USA
aaronandamanda Offline
Glider Explorer
aaronandamanda  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio, USA
First of all, no judgement here :)- and though I have not had experience with this particular issue, I would say to just remember this: Any person sitting in the same room with you is going to breathe in the second hand smoke, no matter what kind smoke it is - so that is going to affect that person's lungs in ways that may cause harm in the future. Gliders are very small, and as I've said, I do not have experience with this, but in my opinion, it is not good for them to be around it. If it affects a person sitting in the same room, think of how the gliders tiny little lungs will handle the power of the second hand smoke.
Just my thoughts smile Best of luck to you!

~*Amanda*~
Proud parent of Tinkerbell :grey: and Nemo :grey: who bring Aaron and I much joy, laughter, and happiness!
They both came to me at times when I needed them most (and I didn't even know it) .. now I get to spend the rest of their lives repaying them .. heart
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043214
12/19/10 12:44 AM
12/19/10 12:44 AM

B
babygemmy
Unregistered
babygemmy
Unregistered
B

awww! thank you so much smile i'll be sure to post pictures when i get her!

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043218
12/19/10 12:46 AM
12/19/10 12:46 AM
NC
C
carolinasuggies Offline
Glider Guardian
carolinasuggies  Offline
Glider Guardian
C

NC
Well Welcome to GC! I dont smoke MJ so I am not sure but I do smoke cigarettes and we do not smoke them in our house we go outside I dont want any type of smoke around my gliders they are so small I am sure their little lungs couldnt take much! Good luck!

Mommy to my kid's & slave to my suggies

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043222
12/19/10 12:55 AM
12/19/10 12:55 AM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline
Glider Guardian
myliljadagirl  Offline
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
I would have to say that I agree. I smoke...Cig's, and I really have a hard time with the smell of it myself so if just the smell bothers me. I smoke out side!...I hate to think what it would do to my gliders!

I would say better safe then sorry, and either have them/her in another room or go outside!

I will say although I do not like smoking weed...I also will say I don't really care if ya do it! As long as it is not around me!...Thank you for being so honest (that is my opinion) but no matter who you are and what you do...all of us should be able to ask a question w/o someone else jumping down there neck!

Thank you for asking before just doing and then take the risk something bad would happen to your little one!

I will also add... you really should concider getting two! They do much better in group's!

Welcome and you came to an awesome place!!!

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-
Peppermint :leu: & Porsche
Jada, & Orchid :grey:
Benz, :rtmo: Gomer
Preston & Lina :wfb:
:rbridge: Sydney, & Ozzie!
www.Facebook.com/naturalglider
www.Naturalglider.weebly.com

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043226
12/19/10 01:06 AM
12/19/10 01:06 AM

B
babygemmy
Unregistered
babygemmy
Unregistered
B

awww thank you so much ! smile we're going to have her with us all the time, i can even take her on my shift with me! My work is pet friendly! we would love to have two, but for now one is all we can handle, but are open to starting a bigger family once we're familiar with how they work.

and once we found out the MJ plant was toxic to the little fellows we FREAKED out and googled like crazy but i knew the only answer would be honest opinions from other owners. thanks everyone so much, we definitely won't be smoking around our glider!

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043233
12/19/10 01:24 AM
12/19/10 01:24 AM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline
Glider Guardian
myliljadagirl  Offline
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
I would really advise getting two at the same time! For new glider owners it really can be hard to introduce two gliders that really have different persanalities, and want nothing to do with eachother! I have two and I still have not been able to get it correct! Everyone that know's me, know's I have tried...but it really can be hard! You have to bring the other glider home, keep it in another room, at lease till it has had a vet visit, then you still have to wait 30 day's till you can even start to swap pouches, and toy's...in all it really can take a few month's! So far I am at 2 month's and I think I am going to be taking my girls to one of the Mod's house and begging her to put my girls together and make them love one and other! Apparently I am just way overpertective of Jada my first, soooo, I am scared Sydney will harm her...but they NEED to be with there own kind! I have my girls out 6 hours a day with me...then they each get and hour of play time in the glider room!But no matter what I do...I can not replace another glider! I really would say from someone who has been there done that! Get two at the same time, and if you cant afford that, then wait till you can, it really is better for them, and you!

So from there...where are you getting your gliders from? What diet are you feeding? Do you have a vet lined up? There are ALOT of thing's to look into before getting gliders, It really help's!

Good luck and hope to see some pic's of the babies!!!

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-
Peppermint :leu: & Porsche
Jada, & Orchid :grey:
Benz, :rtmo: Gomer
Preston & Lina :wfb:
:rbridge: Sydney, & Ozzie!
www.Facebook.com/naturalglider
www.Naturalglider.weebly.com

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043243
12/19/10 01:37 AM
12/19/10 01:37 AM
Long Island, NY
gliderdad79 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
gliderdad79  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Long Island, NY
Normally stuff like this may be pulled due to rule 4 and illegal substances, but I don't think it should in this instance. Yes it is an illegal substance, but advice is being asked about the effects of exposure of pot(medical reason to glider).

I am not bias or judging anyone who smokes at all, as long as this doesn't turn into a pot smoking thread I feel for the medical reasons for gliders we can justify leaving the post.

In this case I think its ok to remain, but I wouldn't allow a hey who does this thread.

Admin will need to talk about this though, and it may still may be edited pending what we decide.

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL, we are happy you found us and that you are doing your research wave

Eddie

In the Tropics somewhere between the port of indecision and southeast of disorder!

"Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people."

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching!
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043249
12/19/10 01:49 AM

B
babygemmy
Unregistered
babygemmy
Unregistered
B

oh trust me! if i feel she is the slightest bit unhappy we will find a friend for her. and thanks! can i just substitute the rep cal and herpative for the glider booster? and i know i should give a scoop every 3 days or so but how often should i feed her fruits and vegetables and how much should i feed her?! that's the only thing i'm unsure of besides the smoke but we took care of that.. so smile

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043250

B
babygemmy
Unregistered
babygemmy
Unregistered
B

and thanks smile

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043251
12/19/10 01:53 AM
12/19/10 01:53 AM
NC
C
carolinasuggies Offline
Glider Guardian
carolinasuggies  Offline
Glider Guardian
C

NC
I sent you a PM

Mommy to my kid's & slave to my suggies

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043254
12/19/10 02:08 AM
12/19/10 02:08 AM
Indiana
TempyKDog Offline
Glider Lover
TempyKDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Indiana
I dont know about its effects on suggies, but I have a rescued dog who was severely abused. He was.. sick to say the least. She was kind of messed up when we got her, like extremely aggressive and defensive. He owned her for twelve years, and I can only assume did this for the majority of her life. After a year though, she is the greatest dog we have ever owned and amazingly smart. I dont think its had any lasting effects on her, as she is going on 15 now and as healthy as can be. Still runs like a pup and dances for her food bowl. I would say prob try to avoid smoking it in the same room? And be sure to scrub off your hands, mouth and anything that came into contact with it before handling them just to be safe. smile

Last edited by SariYappa; 12/20/10 11:58 AM. Reason: SariYappa
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043261
12/19/10 02:47 AM
12/19/10 02:47 AM
New Hampshire
JeremyandLexie Offline
Glider Lover
JeremyandLexie  Offline
Glider Lover

New Hampshire
I read an article somewhere or maybe it was on the radio... the cigarette smoke gets in animals hair and then they lick it ewww. I think it was radio commercial, yuck

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043263
12/19/10 02:52 AM
12/19/10 02:52 AM
CT
crisis668 Offline
Glider Explorer
crisis668  Offline
Glider Explorer

CT
This topic is kind of not family friendly orientated as this website seems to thrive on, and I certainly do not want my 12 year old daughter reading
about people shotgunniing a dog or the affects of marijuana concerning a sugar glider,
I would think this would be a better discussion privately one to one on a
pm or private message.
Of course their will be some kind of effect on any living thing you smoke near
or around.
In CT, you cannot even smoke outside in public gatherings.
Amusement Parks, Recreational Parks, Mall Parking Lots, and the list goes on.
And, that is cigarettes. It is only common sense that any living thing will be affected near or around your second hand smoke.

:grey: Meeko :cream: Pudge
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: JeremyandLexie] #1043265
12/19/10 03:00 AM
12/19/10 03:00 AM
CT
crisis668 Offline
Glider Explorer
crisis668  Offline
Glider Explorer

CT
Originally Posted By: JeremyandLexie
I read an article somewhere or maybe it was on the radio... the cigarette smoke gets in animals hair and then they lick it ewww. I think it was radio commercial, yuck

If your walls turn yellow, along with your curtains and everything else in your house, it will certainly get into your hair, along with your pets fur if you smoke around or near them. And if they clean themselves, they are certainly
going to ingest that nicotine as well.
I have ppl come into my salon with grey and silver hair that is stained yellow from smoking.

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043267
12/19/10 03:07 AM
12/19/10 03:07 AM

T
tinylittlegypsy
Unregistered
tinylittlegypsy
Unregistered
T

I used to smoke cigs (yay have quit now and I'm going strong!). Honestly, if they stain your fingernails and make your taste buds dull they most certainly will affect your gliders & their health!

With MJ well..I am guessing b/c cigarettes are harmful, pot will be as well since they both contain tar.

Best best, smoke outside and wash thoroughly when you go to play with your baby! Congrats on getting a glider (well once you do get her/him) Be sure to post some pictures of your baby when you finally bring him/her home!

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043269
12/19/10 03:50 AM
12/19/10 03:50 AM

B
babygemmy
Unregistered
babygemmy
Unregistered
B

just so everyone knows, i've decided not to smoke around my glider. thanks everyone for your help.

tiny gypsy- pictures will be posted. for sure!

crisis668- I apologize about this not being "family friendly" but i needed advice, and this seemed to be the best way to do it. Honestly, when I was 12 years old i wasn't allowed online, especially fourms. regardless if it's sugar gliders or not.. and honestly, I'm sure she hears much worse than animal abuse at school.. I was making sure that my choices weren't going to put my baby in serious danger, and seeing as i'm a new member, i didn't know who to private message.

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043283
12/19/10 09:32 AM
12/19/10 09:32 AM
CT
crisis668 Offline
Glider Explorer
crisis668  Offline
Glider Explorer

CT
Quote:

crisis668- I apologize about this not being "family friendly" but i needed advice, and this seemed to be the best way to do it. Honestly, when I was 12 years old i wasn't allowed online, especially fourms. regardless if it's sugar gliders or not.. and honestly, I'm sure she hears much worse than animal abuse at school.. I was making sure that my choices weren't going to put my baby in serious danger, and seeing as i'm a new member, i didn't know who to private message.

I am dumbfounded to believe you did not know the answer already.
The United States, with your tax dollar, and mine, have spent millions and millions of
dollars trying to educate people on the affects of cigarettes, where one would think that you would not have to go on a forum and ask this question.
I guess I am just a bit upset that you would be so uneducated on the topic.
Glad that people were able to help you out.

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043286
12/19/10 09:43 AM
12/19/10 09:43 AM

S
Spltshot
Unregistered
Spltshot
Unregistered
S

Crisis668- babygemmy was talking about the effects of smoking pot around the gliders, not cigarettes.

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043288
12/19/10 09:48 AM
12/19/10 09:48 AM
Ozark, MO
Hperk Offline
Glider Explorer
Hperk  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ozark, MO
No need for anger or strife - a question is a question, and all deserve answers. If we denied to answer the questions we hear from our children 1,000 times a day what would that make us?
We are here to help educate one another no matter how big or small the topic may seem.
I do smoke cigs, but not in the room with the babies.
If you've ever been in a room where a beam of sunlight is shining through and seen the smoke through it, you can understand. In a closed room there is just no ventilation, and your baby will suffer for it.
If you can find another place to put her/him or another place to smoke, please do.
No harm in asking questions - keep 'em coming - we are supposed to be here to help!

Heather - "it really is a zoo!"
http://m.wix.com/hforstjerden/perkinslilsugargliders
:grey: :wfb: :plat: :cream:
3 dogs: Darby, Toad, Lou
3 cats: Hades, Shitten, Finley
1 Ring Tailed Lemur: Jameson
2 little skin boys: Dallas, Keagan

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043296
12/19/10 10:15 AM
12/19/10 10:15 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I too am glad you came on and asked. While there is no smoking of ANY kind going on in my house (I have very bad reactions to any kind of smoke or strong smell), what about all those people who have the same, or ANY question, but have been afraid to answer for one reason or another. You having the courage to stand up and ask regardless of any repercussions to make a good decision is to be commended.

As for being worried about what kids see and hear, as a parent I fully identify with that, however, ever hang out on the playgrounds? Kids in 4th and 5th grade are already talking about drinking, sex, and such from watching TV, playing video games, surfing the "net". When your child sees something you see as "bad" take the opportunity to teach them properly about it. This way they are "one up"

The original question was animal health related and I feel it was valid as some think the effects from MJ may be different.

There certainly is not a need for anyone to be upset about this one at all. We are all here for the same thing, to learn as much about gliders as we can.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043300
12/19/10 10:41 AM
12/19/10 10:41 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I'm glad you decided to not smoke around your glider when you get her. As a non-smoker, and an anti-drug person (I'll just leave it at that smile ), I would suggest to go one step further and not smoke it in your house at all. Being in a different room doesn't guarantee that the glider will not be affected.

Also as mentioned, some gliders do not do well by themselves at all. If you are adamant about only getting one please make sure you know where you can get a second one if needed. Your girl could get extremely stressed, and this can have negative effects very quickly on a glider. Also, other than the initial cost, there really isn't any more work/time with two versus one. Honestly!

Please research the diets a bit more, sounds like you are on the right track but need a bit more info. If you click on the word diet, it will take you to the database of the various diets. You can research them more and decide which is best for you and your glider. When you decide on a diet, please feed it according to the instructions as any alterations will modify the nutritional balance it was designed to have.

Good luck, and Welcome to GC! wave

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043310
12/19/10 11:07 AM
12/19/10 11:07 AM

A
AnBglidermommy
Unregistered
AnBglidermommy
Unregistered
A

I know that any type of smoke effects me horribly and my lungs are much bigger than a gliders. My best friend used to smoke in the car with me right next to her or in the back seat and I wouldnt be able to breath even with the windows down. So I would suggest don't smoke at all around them and refrain from smoking ciggs while driving if you have your glider in the car. Also if you smoke in your bedroom the smoke will stick to your clothes, your glider will be in contact with your clothes. So think about everywhere you smoke and how it might affect your glider. Like everyone else said its prob. best to do it outside.

Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043316
12/19/10 11:17 AM
12/19/10 11:17 AM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
Thank you for asking this. I am conflicted that yes, this board does not advocate making posts in reference to illegal substances, but some areas (not just California) have decriminalized marijuana for medicinal use--If I were medically prescribed marijuana for a condition and I owned gliders, I would certainly be relieved to find a topic discussing the effects of such smoke on my animals. I have looked into the effects of marijuana on animals before and it is VERY difficult to find scientific cited resources and papers discussing the physical and psychological side effects of such drug interaction with pets. All I find are anecdotal evidence ranging from "my pets are high all the time and they like it!" to "my __<animal>__ died!"

Best to be safe, which you said you are doing, and not smoke around your glider[s] or when they are in a pouch on you. Also going to suggest that you do not ever smoke in the same ROOM as your glider's cage and accessories are kept, preferably not even in your house/apartment, as the smell can and WILL stick to the fabric and cage and everything else. I grew up in a home where everyone but me smoked--nobody smoked in my bedroom--and when I moved out I took my curtains. I had to throw them away because when I opened the box I packed them in they reeked so bad that not even dry cleaning could get the smell out.

Sabarika
Photography
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: Sabarika] #1043359
12/19/10 01:17 PM
12/19/10 01:17 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
I am a cigarette smoker but because I have a housefull of kids and animals I haul my smoking self right out the door to do it.
I also have cleaned friend's and family's homes with nicotine on the walls so thick you really could take your fingernail and draw pictures in it like frost on a car window.

Now on to the MJ, I have tried it and it has a terrible effect on me, heart raced like it was gonna explode out of my chest and the most terrible migraine in all history. Then I passed smooth out, there were others with me as well partaking and they were fine, so it wasn't the substance but how I reacted to it.

Obviously there are those of us who have VERY BAD physical health reactions to it(possibly allergic reaction) and it could be possible for other living things to have severe reactions to it as well.

I was what you would have to call a one hitter quitter, absolutely not a feeling I ever wanted again. LOL

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043361
12/19/10 01:21 PM
12/19/10 01:21 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Sabarika, the effects it has on me could be one reason why you came up with stories of it's effects on animals going from one end of the health spectrum to the complete opposite.
It may have very bad effects & possibly have killed animals who have bad reactions such as I had to it. ???

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043386
12/19/10 02:48 PM
12/19/10 02:48 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
This has been a learning experience, probably for more people than we'll ever know (the readers, not the posters)...

babygemmy has had her question answered, and has made the decision to not smoke around her new baby. Kudos! hug2

I am going to split this discussion when it pertains to diet. We can continue the diet discussion separately, under 'diet & nutrition'. thumb

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: ] #1043571
12/19/10 09:22 PM
12/19/10 09:22 PM
Indiana
TempyKDog Offline
Glider Lover
TempyKDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Indiana
I wasn't trying to be inappropriate. I was just giving an example of a personal experience with a pet, and shes a very happy, healthy, and loving dog now.

Gabrielle

:grey: :rtmo:
Re: question about smoking.. [Re: crisis668] #1043579
12/19/10 09:46 PM
12/19/10 09:46 PM

A
amanda_allen
Unregistered
amanda_allen
Unregistered
A

I agree with crisis668. this all needs to be in private messages!!! just my opinion. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024