Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Domestic or Exotic? #1048804
12/31/10 02:04 PM
12/31/10 02:04 PM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline OP
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NC, USA
Long story short, our apt complex was bought out right before we signed our lease. The people that owned it before, that we'd been talking to for months, said the gliders would be fine. When we signed our lease [this was the first time we met the new workers] no one said anything about no exotics when we went over the pet thing, so we didn't worry about it. Now, however, my ex-roommate went telling someone in the office I have gliders, and now I'm supposed to remove them. [Don't worry, I won't be rehoming them. Worst comes to worst, I'll be rehoming myself smile ] Now, my boyfriend found these definitions from the federal law online:

Quote:
Animal means any live or dead dog, cat, nonhuman primate, guinea pig, hamster, rabbit, or any other warmblooded animal, which is being used, or is intended for use for research, teaching, testing, experimentation, or exhibition purposes, or as a pet. This term excludes birds, rats of the genus Rattus, and mice of the genus Mus, bred for use in research; horses not used for research purposes; and other farm animals, such as, but not limited to, livestock or poultry used or intended for use as food or fiber, or livestock or poultry used or intended for use for improving animal nutrition, breeding, management, or production efficiency, or for improving the quality of food or fiber. With respect to a dog, the term means all dogs, including those used for hunting, security, or breeding purposes.

Exotic animal means any animal not identified in the definition of animal provided in this part that is native to a foreign country or of foreign origin or character, is not native to the United States, or was introduced from abroad. This term specifically includes animals such as, but not limited to, lions, tigers, leopards, elephants, camels, antelope, anteaters, kangaroos, and water buffalo, and species of foreign domestic cattle, such as Ankole, Gayal, and Yak.

Pet animal means any animal that has commonly been kept as a pet in family households in the United States, such as dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, and hamsters. This term excludes exotic animals and wild animals.

Wild animal means any animal which is now or historically has been found in the wild, or in the wild state, within the boundaries of the United States, its territories, or possessions. This term includes, but is not limited to, animals such as: Deer, skunk, opossum, raccoon, mink, armadillo, coyote, squirrel, fox, wolf.

- http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/1-definitions-19609721

If anyone knows of anything in North Carolina, as well, as far as laws go, that would be very helpful. I just want to know if I can properly argue that they are, in fact, domesticated. dunno

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1048816
12/31/10 02:34 PM
12/31/10 02:34 PM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

they are still considered exoctic animals but you could try to argue with your apartment complex. as in how they are kept. show them the gliders! and show how tame they are. origonally my apartment said no to gliders but i came back and showed them what a glider was showed them pics of the cage and told them how tame they are they were ok with it. most apartments are only worried about damages done to the apartment so i think you have a chance.

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1048861
12/31/10 04:41 PM
12/31/10 04:41 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
By the info you provided, since a Sugar Glider is not included in the definition of "animal:, they are by definition an exotic.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1048872
12/31/10 05:21 PM
12/31/10 05:21 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

I guess your ex-roommate needs a lesson on how not to run your mouth! Actually what I would do is bring your gliders in a pouch up to the office. In Cincinnati, there are complexes that specify "no exotics" even if they are a supposedly pet-friendly place. Usually it is for fear of damages or something that happened in the past - like if someone let their snake get loose and it scared someone, or ferrets got into the duct system. My biggest worry when my boyfriend and I were on the apartment search was finding a glider-friendly place. But I took them to every walk-through and visit, and when the lease agent asked "Do you have pets?" I would say "Only these" and open the pouch. Most of them said, "Oh they don't require a deposit" or "They're caged, right? No problem."

So that's where I would start. Otherwise, yes, they've got you in a legal bind of either removing your gliders from the apartment, or breaking your lease contract unfortunately.

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1048885
12/31/10 05:50 PM
12/31/10 05:50 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
These two links may help. Even though a Sugar Glider is an Exotic they have been bred over many generations to have qualities that make them valuable to humans. This can place them in the same class as the dog and cat (domestic). Both the dog and cat were wild at one time.

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/D/DomesticAnimal.aspx

The term domestic animal is often defined in a statute, such as legislation dealing with cruelty to animals or residential tenancy.

"Domestic animal means an animal of a species of vertebrates that has been domesticated by humans so as to live and breed in a tame condition and depend on humankind for survival."

http://biologycorner.com/worksheets/exotic_pets.html

Exotic Pets
Have you ever thought it would be neat to have a pet like a tiger or monkey? These animals are often referred to as "exotic pets" and are growing in popularity all around the world. But before you consider obtaining one of these animals as a pet, there are some important things to consider? Before reading further, answer the following questions:

Where do you think exotic pets come from?

Do you think it is possible to tame a wild animal? What steps would you need to take to ensure that your exotic pet was friendly?

What kind of exotic pets do you think would be best for the average person to own?
What Are Exotic Pets?

There are no exact definitions for exotic pets, but usually the term refers to any animal that has not been domesticated. Domesticated animals are ones that have been bred over many generations to have qualities that make them valuable to humans. Domesticated animals can be animals kept as pets, like dogs and cats or animals that are used for other purposes, such as cows, pigs, and goats. These animals have lived with humans for many centuries. Dogs were originally bred from wolves where only the ones with the best temperament were allowed to produce offspring. Eventually, humans began breeding them for other characteristics, such as size (Chihuahua) and appearance (Dalmatian). Dogs have become so domesticated that it would be difficult for many of them to survive in the wild.

Exotic pets are often wild animals that are either captured from their native habitats or bred from captured wild animals. Most of these animals retain their "wild natures". Common exotic pets include: birds, turtles, lizards, snakes, rodents, and even tarantulas. Some people even acquire larger exotics, such as tigers, wolves, and monkeys.

Good luck,

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1048938
12/31/10 07:51 PM
12/31/10 07:51 PM
Springfield/Eugene, OR
kitsune Offline
Glider Slave
kitsune  Offline
Glider Slave

Springfield/Eugene, OR
I've had complexes tell me before that they didn't like the idea of sugar gliders, until they saw them. They always seem to think they are cat-sized free roaming animals. Maybe your managers would reconsider when they see how tiny and insignificant they are. The only reason to make a rule like that is to prevent damage to the units, and sugar gliders don't really do damage. The other possibility is to request service animal forms from them and take them to a psychologist. It's really easy to get sugar gliders declared as companion animals here, my complex's rule is no cages more than 75 gallons but they allow mine because they're registered with the manager as companion animals.

Beth

mlove Glide free :rbridge: :bb: Dimitri and Tegan :wfb: :rbridge: and right-side up! mlove
Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050499
01/04/11 10:45 AM
01/04/11 10:45 AM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline OP
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NC, USA
thank everyone for all your help.
now i have a bigger question... is there any way to leave my apt?
my roommate just got evicted after being with us for less that a month, which means we have to cover his rent too. we are tired of this apt [we've had issues with many other things], but we dont want to get evicted for breaking our lease as that stays on your record. any ideas?
this can be moved, if need. sorry its changed so much.

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050508
01/04/11 11:08 AM
01/04/11 11:08 AM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

how long do you have left on your lease?

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050712
01/04/11 06:22 PM
01/04/11 06:22 PM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline OP
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NC, USA
well.
my roommate apparently, did NOT get evicted. because of that, we get to move out, into a pet friendly duplex where the gliders will have their own room!
[long story short, roommate turned out to be paranoid schizofrenic and possibly with multiple personalities, threatened my boyfriend, we called the cops twice, he called them like ten times, and he got arrested for improper use of emergency numbers.
overall, everything worked out quite well!

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050715
01/04/11 06:31 PM
01/04/11 06:31 PM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

wow sounds like you and i have alot in common lol my roomate i think is bipolar. the main thing we talked about when she first moved in is that i dont not clean up behind people we are all adults and can clean up our own messes. well she and her bf rarely clean so me bf stopped cleanning up their messes she'll come home frm work and start slamming dishes and throwing things etc. needless to say we are in the process of removing them from the apartment.

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050716
01/04/11 06:34 PM
01/04/11 06:34 PM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline OP
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NC, USA
ugh. lots of yelling and cursing and way too many cops. that has been my life. im currently sitting on the couch, relaxing, as i slept three hours last night on my best friends futon.
i cant wait to move tomorrow. yay!

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050720
01/04/11 06:42 PM
01/04/11 06:42 PM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

lots of yelling and cursing but no cops for me yet but my roomate is currently doing everything she can to set me off so im watching tv and on here to stay calm.

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050726
01/04/11 07:01 PM
01/04/11 07:01 PM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline OP
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NC, USA
i just keep telling myself, as of tomorrow, we will have a legit glider room.
SO STOKED

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050730
01/04/11 07:07 PM
01/04/11 07:07 PM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

congrats! i dont get my gliders till feb i cant wait!

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050731
01/04/11 07:17 PM
01/04/11 07:17 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
LOL, I only had to put up a 12 ft fence after several battles with the lady next door, her daughters and one of the daughters boyfriends.

Police, fire department, you name it we had it. We finally put up a video system. That camera caught the boy kicking something of ours down. Of course he denied it but, the shoes he had on told a different story. He didn't know we had the video and he wore the same shoes to court that were recorded that night. He was fined $500.

That was the final straw that let them know it was going to run up their bank account to keep tearing up our property.

So, If you are having problems start a paper trail with the police. After a while they will see whats going on and start doing something about it. sounds like good neighbors don't they.

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050736
01/04/11 07:33 PM
01/04/11 07:33 PM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline OP
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NC, USA
lol its ok, i have two now but we're getting five more in feb! so excited smile

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: Johannasgliders] #1050746
01/04/11 07:49 PM
01/04/11 07:49 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: Johannasgliders
LOL, I only had to put up a 12 ft fence after several battles with the lady next door, her daughters and one of the daughters boyfriends.

Police, fire department, you name it we had it. We finally put up a video system. That camera caught the boy kicking something of ours down. Of course he denied it but, the shoes he had on told a different story. He didn't know we had the video and he wore the same shoes to court that were recorded that night. He was fined $500.

That was the final straw that let them know it was going to run up their bank account to keep tearing up our property.

So, If you are having problems start a paper trail with the police. After a while they will see whats going on and start doing something about it. Sounds like good neighbors don't they.

I've always agreed with the saying - good fences make good neighbors!

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050754
01/04/11 08:04 PM
01/04/11 08:04 PM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

Originally Posted By: xoerikae
lol its ok, i have two now but we're getting five more in feb! so excited smile

oh my goodness thats awsome!

Re: Domestic or Exotic? [Re: xoerikae] #1050943
01/05/11 06:07 AM
01/05/11 06:07 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
At this stage, I would like to remind everyone to keep their posts on topic, i.e. on the subject of whether a sugar glider is in fact a domestic animal or an exotic animal. See rule 3 below:

3. Please keep the posts closely related to the topic. If the topic sparks another thought for discussion, please open a new thread. Post messages in the most appropriate forum. Please refrain from posting the same message in more than one forum. Only one of those messages will remain posted. Do not be offended if moderators move your thread to a forum that fits your topic. In a large forum like ours, this kind of housekeeping is necessary. It is not personal. Please do not use excessive CAPS or bold lettering. It makes your message very hard to read and implies you are shouting.

:grey: Casper (Bozeman) & Liezl (Gizmogirl):grey:
www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

PackinFuzz.com Sugar Glider Online Store

RIP: Sugar (2009) :grey:
You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024