Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: jen102375] #1067755
02/06/11 10:17 PM
02/06/11 10:17 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Jen, did you communicate your concerns to Candy?

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: KarenE] #1067756
02/06/11 10:22 PM
02/06/11 10:22 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
Originally Posted By: KarenE
We have only ONE person in this thread so far with first hand information.

Kristy, have your gliders been vet checked? What were the results? Have you had any deaths? If so, was there a necropsy? Results?

Yes, my gliders are vet checked. When everything hit the fan , it went from slow symptoms to it just went downhill fast. Parasites have been ruled out and i am very diligent in fecaling, both smears and floats. No adult deaths, However I was in tears for about 4 days feeling at a loss when everything hit the fan so quick. Like I said it was gradual things then all of a sudden things changed rather quickly. I pushed sub-q fluids given by the vet and gatorade. They seemed to show improvement for a couple hrs then eliminate the fluids and we were back where we started. We looked at gliders added , which ones were added this 2010 and what else was changed in 2010. The two things changed in 2010 was diet and a couple more pairs. The deaths were of cannabalized joeys from low birth weights of 10 grams. The other joeys were pulled from ip and then cannablaized and i never got to see them other than feeling them while ip. No adults died, however right before the diet switch back to HPW, I thought it was going to happen. As soon as i switched back to HPW, the adults and joeys that were oop and survived, got so much better. Now everything is back to as it should be and has been since the switch.

Symptoms were initially cracked fur and minor weight loss at first to more weight loss, loss of energy, tails not being bushy and hairs on tails seeming like they were thinning but not in an overgrooming manner, joeys lost that were newly oop or ip by cannabalization, dehydration was last to set in with continued weight loss and continuance of the symptoms listed. Once i switched cold turkey back to HPW my last resort, everything seemed to start to improve within a week and a half. the fur of course and coats took about a month to get back to normal but dehydration, energy, even fluffier tails, and definitely weight improved more drastically than i had expected.

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067757
02/06/11 10:23 PM
02/06/11 10:23 PM
Kenosha,WI
J
jen102375 Offline
Glider Lover
jen102375  Offline
Glider Lover
J

Kenosha,WI
No, To be honest, I did not even think of that. I simply switched back to the diet that I started with.

Slave 2
Hubby Jon
3 daughters Ellivia(13)Hanna(10)Alayna(6)
6 Suggies: Harley/Abby, Pongo/Pracilla, Cash/Charity
4 wonderful Rescues

Jen
262 748-4128 24hr help
www.thegliderboutique.com

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEY'S (THANK YOU) smile

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: snowbabygliders] #1067759
02/06/11 10:28 PM
02/06/11 10:28 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: kristy55303
Symptoms were initially cracked fur and minor weight loss at first to more weight loss, loss of energy, tails not being bushy and hairs on tails seeming like they were thinning but not in an overgrooming manner,

I saw all these symptoms. Mine haven't progressed any further - no lost joeys or dehydration.

The tails thing is very noticeable. Even my joeys don't have fluffy tails.

I haven't been switched back even a week yet.

I PMed Candy a link to this thread. It was not my intention to keep it a secret from her, nor to talk behind her back. I just was sort of stunned to discover it was more than just me and my gliders, and it wasn't weather related or something like that. This is all very new to me, so I didn't really feel I had anything to contact Candy with. However, I think she should be aware of this discussion!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1067760
02/06/11 10:32 PM
02/06/11 10:32 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
She has been contacted. Remember this is Super Bowl Sunday.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067764
02/06/11 10:34 PM
02/06/11 10:34 PM
Kenosha,WI
J
jen102375 Offline
Glider Lover
jen102375  Offline
Glider Lover
J

Kenosha,WI
Alden, I noticed a change in fur in about 1-2 weeks. I still have 2 gliders that are not fully back but really close and it's been about a month maybe a little over.

Slave 2
Hubby Jon
3 daughters Ellivia(13)Hanna(10)Alayna(6)
6 Suggies: Harley/Abby, Pongo/Pracilla, Cash/Charity
4 wonderful Rescues

Jen
262 748-4128 24hr help
www.thegliderboutique.com

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEY'S (THANK YOU) smile

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: jen102375] #1067772
02/06/11 10:57 PM
02/06/11 10:57 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: jen102375
I had my gliders on the Blended diet and I followed it to the T for 8 months. I have recently switched back to HPW diet. When I first started the Blended my gliders looked great and loved it. But within 6 months I had 3 rejected joey's and my gliders fur was all cracked and I mean bad cracked, They also were not comming out to play at night. At the time I had 12 gliders they all had cracked fur and showed severe energy loss. Within 2 weeks of switching back to the HPW diet almost all of my gliders were back to normal. High energy levels, Their Fur is soft full and fluffy again.

Back to normal after eight (8) months is a huge improvement. I would certainly think this worth mentioning to Candy.

breeders are not the only people feeding this diet!!

If there is truly cause for concern because of the diet ingredients, you have an obligation to contact the author of any diet.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067774
02/06/11 11:00 PM
02/06/11 11:00 PM

H
haleighallen
Unregistered
haleighallen
Unregistered
H

I have been feeding the blended diet (original blend) since about mid-December, and as of late, I too have noticed a difference in my boys..

Now, when I first got my boys, they were on the Ensure diet. I felt that for them, the Ensure diet didn't work as they seemed a bit greasy and had a putrid smell to them(in my opinion). So I did a little research and decided on the blended diet. After switching, I did seem to notice some improvement. They had more energy, were awake during normal "glider hours" and really played. They even started feeling less greasy, and their smell improved immensely.

Now, after having fed the blended diet for a little over a month, I've noticed change in my boys yet again. They sleep a LOT now. It's rare that I ever catch them awake anymore. They have an odd smell to them now (different than before), particularly when they urinate. Their urine has a very strong smell. They also seem to be getting "greasy" again. And now that it has been brought to my attention, their fur does appear to be cracking. It is by no means severe, but it's not the smooth coat that gliders should have.

My boy's poo has been odd lately as well. It's been extremely hard an jet black, not like their "normal poo". Just putting this out there so see if maybe anyone else has noticed a difference in poo...

I can not attest to the "fluffiness" of their tails, as my boys have had scrawny tails since I've had them..

I do hope, if this IS in fact diet related, that we can quickly amend the problem.

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067777
02/06/11 11:02 PM
02/06/11 11:02 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Candy just PMed me. She is online and is aware of the thread. She is reading, then I'm sure she'll respond, if appropriate.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067778
02/06/11 11:03 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
I feel nauseous right now. One of my girls has just dropped joeys IP (I think).

I noticed my gliders' tail fur was looking a little thin, but I didn't think anything of it (thought maybe it was the weather?). Other than that, we have had no symptoms here, but we've only been on the blended diet for about three weeks.

This anecdotal evidence is enough for me. I am going to switch to HPW.

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067779
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Haleigh, I have to ask -- just for the sake of understanding fully if this problem is diet related or otherwise -- have you taken your gliders to the vet since you began noticing changes? Have they had fecals recently?

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: WintersSong] #1067781
02/06/11 11:07 PM
02/06/11 11:07 PM

H
haleighallen
Unregistered
haleighallen
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: WintersSong
Haleigh, I have to ask -- just for the sake of understanding fully if this problem is diet related or otherwise -- have you taken your gliders to the vet since you began noticing changes? Have they had fecals recently?

They were taken to the vet and had fecals done a few days before I got them (I got them Thanksgiving day, 2010) and the results were clear. Since then, no I haven't had them into a vet.. So they were last checked about 2 months ago.

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067782
02/06/11 11:10 PM
02/06/11 11:10 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
I would have them vet checked to make sure that the changes are, in fact, diet related.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: WintersSong] #1067784
02/06/11 11:18 PM
02/06/11 11:18 PM

H
haleighallen
Unregistered
haleighallen
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: WintersSong
I would have them vet checked to make sure that the changes are, in fact, diet related.

Will do!

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067787
02/06/11 11:23 PM
02/06/11 11:23 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
I just received a phone call to alert me to this thread.

I have not seen any problems with my gliders, but I only have 12 and only 1 breeding pair. They have had two joeys that are both growing well.

I am sorry if any of you feel the diet has been a problem. I have no idea what changes if any would be called for.

The Blended diet does not contain any ingredients that have not been used in other glider diets - except the use of a human grade calcium supplement instead of the RepCal used in BML. But even that is not entirely new as both Darcy's diet uses human grade calcium and Priscilla Price's vitamin combination also contains a human grade calcium product.

The major difference between the Blended diet and other diets is the amounts of various ingredients.

Now, my turn to ask questions. First, I would have appreciated an email or PM from any of you that have had concerns. I have asked all along that you give me feedback on how your gliders are doing on the Blended diet. This is the first negative feedback I have had since I posted the diet over a year ago.

Those of you who have concerns, what fruits and vegetables are you regularly using with the Blended diet?

Are you offering a wide variety of different fruits and vegetables?

Are you using any of the "relish" or "smoothie" recipes that rely heavily on Bok Choi and Papaya?

What types of treats do you offer, and how much.

There are SO MANY variables involved in the way we each feed our gliders, I find it very difficult to say that the Blended diet is the only thing the 4 or 5 households that are reporting problems have in common.

How many of you switched to the Blended diet because you were having difficulty getting your gliders to eat fruits and vegetables? What changes did you see in that behavior when you changed to the Blended diet.

Are those of you seeing a problem using the Calcium Carbonate or have you chosen to use Calcium Citrate?

I am not sure the diet needs any changes. If it is not the right diet for your gliders, by all means choose another diet.

Have you discussed the Blended diet with your vet and showed your vet the comparison chart for nutrients in the Blended diet, BML and HPW? What were your vet's comments? Did your vet see any part of the diet that should be of concern? Please share the comments from your vet with me.

Thank you to those of you that had the courtesy to contact me and let me know this thread was running full speed ahead with out me.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067788
02/06/11 11:29 PM
02/06/11 11:29 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
I think that vet checks would be a good idea as well. Then that way you will know if they have a bug or not. I sure hope this isn't from the diet and just a strange coincidence. A lot of people use the Blended diet. frown

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: KarenE] #1067790
02/06/11 11:34 PM
02/06/11 11:34 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
We have been feeding the Blended diet (variation 2) to our gliders for over a year and have had no problems. We provide a balanced selection of fruits and vegetables with the blended mix, and they usually get a little yogurt for a morning treat and meal worms as an afternoon snack. We weigh all four gliders every week and have kept a record of their weight since we got them.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: CandyOtte] #1067803
02/07/11 12:00 AM
02/07/11 12:00 AM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
Originally Posted By: OtteMom
I just received a phone call to alert me to this thread.

I have not seen any problems with my gliders, but I only have 12 and only 1 breeding pair. They have had two joeys that are both growing well.

I am sorry if any of you feel the diet has been a problem. I have no idea what changes if any would be called for.

The Blended diet does not contain any ingredients that have not been used in other glider diets - except the use of a human grade calcium supplement instead of the RepCal used in BML. But even that is not entirely new as both Darcy's diet uses human grade calcium and Priscilla Price's vitamin combination also contains a human grade calcium product.

The major difference between the Blended diet and other diets is the amounts of various ingredients.

Now, my turn to ask questions. First, I would have appreciated an email or PM from any of you that have had concerns. I have asked all along that you give me feedback on how your gliders are doing on the Blended diet. This is the first negative feedback I have had since I posted the diet over a year ago.I was drafting an email this morning, apologize it did not get out to you, it has not been sent yet as I wanted to cover every minute detail as possible in it when i was writing it. I know you have your whole heart in the diet and gliders Candy. I have never doubted that for a second, not even after what happened with my gliders. There is still at least one other breeder that has not come forward yet probably due to the game. I wonder if this is just related to breeding gliders?

Those of you who have concerns, what fruits and vegetables are you regularly using with the Blended diet?
We do offer a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Mostly fresh. No smoothies. I don't do the papaya and bok choy all the time as overloading with calcium would not be good either since the ca:ph ratio of the diet is pretty ideal the way it is written. We feed everything in variety that is on the safe fruits and veggies list. To go over everything would just be listing off the safe fruits and veggies list to be honest. we fed great variety and always have. we take into acct the ca:ph ratios when feeding them

Are you using any of the "relish" or "smoothie" recipes that rely heavily on Bok Choi and Papaya?

What types of treats do you offer, and how much. yoggies not often, papaya or mango or blueberry dried fruit as a treat but not all in the same week even, and mealies once in a while, only as treats and certainly not daily or near as that is what they are, just treats. treats are given in moderation per a diet. too much can be harmful and take away from the nutrients they would get from their food.

There are SO MANY variables involved in the way we each feed our gliders, I find it very difficult to say that the Blended diet is the only thing the 4 or 5 households that are reporting problems have in common.

How many of you switched to the Blended diet because you were having difficulty getting your gliders to eat fruits and vegetables?my gliders are not picky eaters, so my switch had nothing to do with getting them to eat fruits and veggies. they ate them fine on the HPW and the blended. They ate all their food most nights on both diets. Never an eating issue here. What changes did you see in that behavior when you changed to the Blended diet.

Are those of you seeing a problem using the Calcium Carbonate or have you chosen to use Calcium Citrate?calcium carbonate as it was written to begin with

I am not sure the diet needs any changes. If it is not the right diet for your gliders, by all means choose another diet.

Have you discussed the Blended diet with your vet and showed your vet the comparison chart for nutrients in the Blended diet, BML and HPW? yes we discussed it,however he felt as I did when i presented it that the ca:ph ratios were easier to calculate and thus he agreed would be a good choice. I did not bring anything to him except the written diet, not the comparisons, I explained what i knew from reading it to him and how at the time I felt it would be beneficial and easier of a diet for the gliders. I gave him your website. No, he did not see concerns when presented. What were your vet's comments? Did your vet see any part of the diet that should be of concern? Please share the comments from your vet with me.

Thank you to those of you that had the courtesy to contact me and let me know this thread was running full speed ahead with out me.

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067818
02/07/11 12:41 AM
02/07/11 12:41 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Quote:

How many of you switched to the Blended diet because you were having difficulty getting your gliders to eat fruits and vegetables?I switched to the blended diet after my gliders quit eating BML and HPW, they never cleaned up their fruits and vegetables.

What changes did you see in that behavior when you changed to the Blended diet.I have had three gliders gain weight, they are all cleaning up their vegetables and most of their fruit, I do over feed, lol.

Have you discussed the Blended diet with your vet and showed your vet the comparison chart for nutrients in the Blended diet, BML and HPW? What were your vet's comments? Did your vet see any part of the diet that should be of concern? Please share the comments from your vet with me.I sent my vet the diet when Candy first posted it on GC. After being on it for almost a year, my vet things their fur is outstanding and they all look great. I have seen no changes in activity levels.

I also want to add that I switched to this diet shortly after almost losing my little Jadzia, she was on HPW from the breeder and I was feeding HPW at that time. She is doing outstanding, she has gained weight and currently has her third set of twins (this was her fourth pregnancy, the first being a single).

I feed the original version of the blended diet. My gliders get peas, carrots, corn, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli every night and I rotate fruit nightly between a fruit smoothie with berries, melon, grapes and avocado. I use treats sparingly.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067833
02/07/11 01:48 AM
02/07/11 01:48 AM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
We too had some problems with the diet. We have seen thinning tails, poor coats (ranging from cracked and not as nice to just TERRIBLE-greasy and discolored) small joeys- one we almost lost at 6 weeks. she was 26 grams (I started hand feeding her HPW and she has been gaining weight steadily.) cannibalized joeys from a pair that has NEVER cannibalized before-nothing outwardly wrong with the joey except she was small but about the same size as her brother that lived, pairs stopped breeding. We switched back to a modified HPW about 3 weeks ago and we just had a joey come OOP 3 days ago. she's much bigger than they have been. We have 26 gliders. just about all have been affected. we fed the original version. Out gliders all gained weight on this diet however- no one got skinny. We did have a female recently start eating her own feces. All our gliders are clean and parasite free and otherwise very healthy.

Quote:
**We feed mixed veggies (corn, green beans, carrots, and peas), sweet potato, collard greens, cucumbers, cantalope, melon, watermelon, papaya, apple, mango, pomagranite, kiwi, grapes once in a while, I'm sure there are other things, we feed a wide variety but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

** Once in a while we would do a smoothie with papaya.

**We don't feed treats often, when we do it's mostly yoggies and mealworms. They get a couple of one or the other during nail clipping and maybe one day out of the week get some yoggies at night during play.

How many of you switched to the Blended diet because you were having difficulty getting your gliders to eat fruits and vegetables? What changes did you see in that behavior when you changed to the Blended diet.
**Our gliders have always eaten everything just fine. We switched because we like the idea of the Ca:P ratio. They are sometimes picky about their high in calcium fruit and veggies, we liked the idea of not worrying about that. We did not switch soley because they were not eating.
**We did not see any changes until recently and it has been changing slowly over the course of a few months. A few personality changes, nothing I was overly concerned about. Some less active. One female started eating her own feces recently.

Are those of you seeing a problem using the Calcium Carbonate or have you chosen to use Calcium Citrate?
**We use calcium carbonate. I'm not sure if it's related to this or not.

**It was not the right diet for us. But that doesn't mean it won't work just fine for other people. thumb

Have you discussed the Blended diet with your vet and showed your vet the comparison chart for nutrients in the Blended diet, BML and HPW? What were your vet's comments? Did your vet see any part of the diet that should be of concern? Please share the comments from your vet with me.
** Our vet loved the idea of the Blended Diet. He thought it seemed to be nutritionally balanced and very good for them as far as the amounts of protein and the Ca:P ratio. We only discussed the differences with HPW and he liked everything in the Blended better than the HPW as far as the calcium and such.

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 02/07/11 01:50 AM.

Allie
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067836
02/07/11 01:55 AM
02/07/11 01:55 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
This is news to me. I've been feeding the Blended diet for 9 months now with no incident of joey weight-loss, cannibalization, poor coat health or any other issue.

Now, I do not use the exact recipe that is on the website, but I've stayed pretty close to it. I do use RepCal.

My main fruit is papaya. My main veggie is spaghetti or butternut squash. I feed the main fruit and veggie (blended with a little yogurt so they are sure to eat it) every night in addition to cut up fruits and veggies.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: CandyOtte] #1067844
02/07/11 02:42 AM
02/07/11 02:42 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Originally Posted By: OtteMom

Now, my turn to ask questions. First, I would have appreciated an email or PM from any of you that have had concerns. I have asked all along that you give me feedback on how your gliders are doing on the Blended diet. This is the first negative feedback I have had since I posted the diet over a year ago.

We switched from HPW to the Blended diet beginning of August 2010, the reason being that our gliders did not eat as well as they used to. We researched all available diets and decided on the Blended. We used Blended diet #3 at the time. The gliders were in love with the diet and finished everything in their plates. Two weeks after we started to feed the Blended diet, we noticed their fur was "cracked" and "frizzed", it used to be soft and shiny. We immediately contacted Candy, and she responded quickly and was very helpful.

We initially thought it to be the transition from one diet to another, since the baby chicken food is a significant difference from the HPW to the Blended diet. We ruled out the possibility of using different brands or products, as we import the baby food, cereal, yogurt juice and calcium from the US.

We switched to another variation of the Blended to see if there would be a difference. Candy also asked me to keep her informed and told me that if this continues that she will post a question for Blended diet users to gather more observations, and if others have experienced the same, although no one has contacted her. At the time I had fecals and urinalysis done and all checked out to be healthy. My gliders also gained about 3 to 4 grams, which I loved. After a month, we noticed a slight change for the better in their fur, and I contacted Candy to update her. We then tried the humidifier for a couple of weeks and there was a much needed improvement. From my experience I can say that all of my gliders vet checks were feedback of good health, no dehydration, no rejected joeys from my one breeding pair, and no lethargy. In fact, my gliders, neutered males and breeding pair has become much more playful and energetic.

I further experimented with the different variations, and that's when I noticed weight loss, cracked fur on my breeding pair, and greasy fur on my one chunky monkey. For the past month, I have switched to the Blended diet #2, to see if I can get my chunky monkey's weight down, and yes, I did. Unfortunately, the others also lost weight on this variation. I had weight losses in one month's time which varied between 4 and 7 grams. I switched back to my original variation, and the weight is climbing again.

I experimented with the different variations on the Blended diet, and saw different results, which made perfect sense for me.

I have worked out a 12 week menu with the diet calculator:

week 1 (2.1:1)

Mon - 2x TBS blackberries
Tue - 2x Okra
Wed - 2x papaya
Thu - 1x TBS Bok choi, 1 TBS green beans
Fri - 2x TBS pear
Sat - 1x TBS corn, 1x Parsley
Sun - 2x Strawberries

week 2 (2.1:1)

Mon - 2x TBS seedless red&white grapes
Tue - 1x TBS white mushrooms (raw) and 1x TBS celery
Wed - 1x TBS watermelon, 1x TBS red tomato
Thu - 2x TBS Okra
Fri - 2x TBS Papaya
Sat - 2x TBS Carrots
Sun - 1x TBS Orange, 1x TBS Blueberries

week 3 (2.1:1)

Mon - 1x TBS Avocado, 1x TBS peas
Tue - 2x TBS papaya
Wed - 2x TBS Okra
Thu - 2x TBS Pomegranate
Fri - 2x TBS Spaghetti squash
Sat - 2x TBS Cantaloupe
Sun - 2x TBS Egg plant

week 4 (2.1:1)

Mon - 2x TBS Okra
Tue - 2x TBS Apple
Wed - 1x TBS Peas, 1x TBS Bok choi
Thu - 2x TBS Papaya
Fri - 1x TBS Mixed veg, 1x TBS lemon peel
Sat - 1x TBS orange, 1x TBS prickly pear
Sun - 2x TBS okra

week 5 (2.2:1)

Mon - 1x TBS watermelon, 1x TBS raspberry
Tue - 1x TBS parsley, 1x TBS Avocado
Wed - 2x TBS pear
Thu - 1x TBS beet greens, 1x TBS cucumber with skin
Fri - 1x TBS watermelon, 1x TBS raspberry
Sat - 2x TBS okra
Sun - 2x TBS cherry

week 6 (2.0:1)

Mon - 2x TBS asparagus
Tue - 2x TBS grapefruit pink/red
Wed - 2x TBS squash butternut
Thu - 2x TBS mango
Fri - 2x TBS broccoli (florets)
Sat - 2x TBS blueberries
Sun - 2x TBS okra

week 7 (1.9:1)

Mon - 2x TBS peppers (sweet, raw)
Tue - 2x TBS beets (raw)
Wed - 2x TBS kiwi fruit
Thu - 2x TBS potato (white, no skin) baked
Fri - 2x TBS papaya
Sat - 2x TBS okra
Sun - 2x TBS grape (red/green seedless)

week 8 (2.0:1)

Mon - 2x TBS sweet potato baked
Tue - 2x TBS figs raw
Wed - 2x TBS white mushrooms raw
Thu - 2x TBS cranberries raw
Fri - 1x TBS parsley, 1x TBS avocado
Sat - 2x TBS prickly pear
Sun - 1x TBS beet greens, 1x TBS okra

week 9 (2.0:1)

Mon - 2x TBS plum
Tue - 2x TBS egg plant
Wed - 1x TBS pineapple, 1x TBS watermelon
Thu - 2x TBS mixed veggies
Fri - 2x TBS papaya
Sat - 2x TBS okra
Sun - 2x TBS blue berries

week 10 (2.0:1)

Mon - 2x TBS cabbage red raw
Tue - 2x TBS apple with skin
Wed - 2x TBS sweet potato baked
Thu - 2x TBS cantaloupe
Fri - 1x TBS avocado, 1x TBS spinach (raw)
Sat - 2x TBS papaya
Sun - 1x TBS beet greens, 1x okra

week 11 (2.0:1)

Mon - 2x TBS guava
Tue - 2x TBS corn
Wed - 2x TBS pomegranate
Thu - 2x TBS okra
Fri - 2x TBS papaya
Sat - 2x TBS celery
Sun - 2x TBS prickly pear

week 12 (1.9:1)

Mon - 2x TBS Brussels sprouts raw
Tue - 2x TBS cherries
Wed - 2x TBS pepper sweet
Thu - 2x TBS papaya
Fri - 2x TBS peas green raw
Sat - 2x TBS raspberries
Sun - 1x TBS beet greens, 1x TBS parsley

I feed 2-4 meal worms right before bedtime, and during the day I will give each a snack like pomegranate, dried papaya or other favorite fruit.

I switched because of this reason, and since on the Blended my gliders eat all their staple, fruits and veggies.

Calcium Carbonate

I certainly think there are many things to take into consideration. My breeding pair have lost one joey, but I saw the accident happen, Kaida misjudged her glide while having a 5 week IP and landed on the corner of a chair. Also, I have decided to neuter my male because he became increasingly stressed and over obsessed with Kaida and the joeys. This is my personal opinion, based on what I have experienced.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067878
02/07/11 04:47 AM
02/07/11 04:47 AM
NC
C
carolinasuggies Offline
Glider Guardian
carolinasuggies  Offline
Glider Guardian
C

NC
I have been using the blended for a while now and my glider's have looked (coat and weight wise) and ate better since we started using the blended I have had no cannibalized or rejected joey's!

EDITED TO ADD: I feed the original blend I use the veggies reccomended by Candy as well as a fruit smoothie some weeks and fresh cut up fruit others I also give the nursing mothers a small amount of extra blended!

Last edited by carolinasuggies; 02/07/11 02:20 PM.

Mommy to my kid's & slave to my suggies

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067955
02/07/11 12:45 PM
02/07/11 12:45 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I started using the Blended diet app. 6 weeks ago in hopes of it helping Badge and Bonnie and also Victor, my senior glider who is almost 12 yrs. old. Badge had surgery again last May to have an anal gland removed. The surgery took its toll on him and his weight dropped drastically. His fur was not "recovering" and he has been having issues with peeing on himself in the pouch making him and Bonnie both a mess. Greasy looking fur and thinning on his tail was getting worse after trying many things.

I then purchased a humidifier app. a month ago. It apparently was not the problem as nothing changed.

I went over the Blended diet with a few people and called my vet. I decided to try it since nothing else was working and vet thought it might help because of the protein combination.

Badge did gain weight from 112 to 164 which is okay for his size. However, he was getting worse with his fur and tail looking cracked and greasy. He started getting constipated again. (not good after the anal surgery)

Since he has been on the Blended diet, he has lost 18 grams which is fine, he is at 146 grams now. His fur is softer, still cracked but getting better and his tail is filling out finally.

The constipation stopped, he is active again instead of laying in the pouch not playing at night, he has his energy back. He is also eating his fruits again. (big plus there as he always loved them but stopped eating them almost a year ago)

Badge has serious gum/teeth issues and has to use his side teeth to eat as he lost the top front teeth years ago and his bottom front teeth are protruding out past his nose now due to shifting in the jaw and gums. The Blended diet has enabled him to have more "fruit" since it uses the yogurt juice.

I am using the original without varying. I give my gliders mealworms when I have them and the tiny yogurt drops among many varieties of veggies and fruits. I give them 2 days off the diet and instead feed them boiled chicken or scrambled eggs along with veggies, fruits, yogurt or other things I don't give them each night.

Victor will be 12 yrs. old on June 15th. He has lost weight in the past year and his fur is thinning pretty bad. He's tiny now. He is doing much better on the Blended diet already. He does have a lot of energy for being a senior glider now.

I started ALL of gliders on the Blended diet a week after I started those three on it. They all lick their dishes clean and eat all of their foods again. The one joey I have is 9 weeks old and has no issues with appetite, energy or weight. ALL of my gliders have a lot of energy and no issues since starting the diet. Granted, I have not been using it long but so far things are looking better here.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1067998
02/07/11 02:02 PM
02/07/11 02:02 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Glide bye Lily - are you one of Adri's 5 breeders that she opened the thread about?

Thank you all for your comments, good and bad.

Glide Bye Lily you state you use the following vegetables:
Quote:
mixed veggies (corn, green beans, carrots, and peas), sweet potato, collard greens, cucumbers,

This is a somewhat short list of vegetables when variety is the goal. Mixed vegetables are usually packaged very heavy on the corn and peas, a few carrots and even fewer green beans. Are you using these frequently? Perhaps adding other vegetables - with any diet you choose to feed - would bring a wider spread of vitamins to the diet. Broccoli, sugar snap peas, spring mix greens, and green beans (with out the corn), butternut squash, yellow squash, zuccini are all others you might include on the menu for variety.

Since the problems are being reported specifically related to Breeding colonies, perhaps offering more Blended diet - 1 TBS instead of 2 tsp - might be tried even though the diet already has more protein and calcium that the HPW breeder recipe.

Another thought as come to mind. Gliders in the wild have breeding seasons and according to some they breed more when insects and protein sources are plentiful. I would have to consider the fact that feeding higher protein diets year round may be contributing to more frequent breeding in our captive glider population. Good for breeders that may be looking at profit from increased joey sales, but probably not very good health wise for the breeding gliders. Perhaps someone will study this more in the future and come up with guidelines for feeding gliders in a way that they would naturally extend the periods between joeys. That research is beyond by abilities.

There are so many variables from one glider home to another that all contribute to the health and fur condition of our gliders. I do not know if anyone could begin to name all of these variables.

Now, for those of you experiencing problems - This past year has had some unusual weather extremes. January and February 2010 were much colder (at least here in Florida) than in the past 10+ years. The summer brought new record high temperatures around the country. I think everyone has noticed this winter has brought some extreme cold and record breaking snow in many states.

Have any of you run the heat and/or air conditioning in your homes more that in past years? I know my electric bills say that I have here. This may be one of MANY differences in the environment our gliders live in. The air in my home is much drier when either the heat or AC have to run overtime to keep the temperature comfortable for humans and gliders.

I would love to hear first hand from the other 3 breeders who have expressed their concerns to Adri. (assuming that Kristy and Glide Bye Lily are two of the 5)

"Cracked" fur has been mentioned in so many situations that it does not raise a red flag for me. It has been attributed to dry air in Arizona, to not eating fruits and vegetables with the HPW diet, to dirty or small cage conditions, to pellet foods, and to general poor health to name a few issues to which this problem has been linked in board discussions.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1068002
02/07/11 02:10 PM
02/07/11 02:10 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Quote:
This is a somewhat short list of vegetables when variety is the goal. Mixed vegetables are usually packaged very heavy on the corn and peas, a few carrots and even fewer green beans. Are you using these frequently? Perhaps adding other vegetables - with any diet you choose to feed - would bring a wider spread of vitamins to the diet. Broccoli, sugar snap peas, spring mix greens, and green beans (with out the corn), butternut squash, yellow squash, zuccini are all others you might include on the menu for variety.
**We feed other veggies too. That was just what I could think of off the top of my head at 2 am. lol.

Now, for those of you experiencing problems - This past year has had some unusual weather extremes. January and February 2010 were much colder (at least here in Florida) than in the past 10+ years. The summer brought new record high temperatures around the country. I think everyone has noticed this winter has brought some extreme cold and record breaking snow in many states.

Have any of you run the heat and/or air conditioning in your homes more that in past years? I know my electric bills say that I have here. This may be one of MANY differences in the environment our gliders live in. The air in my home is much drier when either the heat or AC have to run overtime to keep the temperature comfortable for humans and gliders.
**We have heat, but we use a pellet stove. Our house stays cooler in the winter and we have no AC. It's nothing different compared to what we have been doing the last 3 years, and the problems we've experienced have popped up in the last 5 months or so.

I would love to hear first hand from the other 3 breeders who have expressed their concerns to Adri. (assuming that Kristy and Glide Bye Lily are two of the 5)
**Yes we are one of the 5. We contacted Adri because we needed help to save Aurora's life.

"Cracked" fur has been mentioned in so many situations that it does not raise a red flag for me. It has been attributed to dry air in Arizona, to not eating fruits and vegetables with the HPW diet, to dirty or small cage conditions, to pellet foods, and to general poor health to name a few issues to which this problem has been linked in board discussions.
**It is not just 'cracked' fur here. Very poor coats, discolored orange and yellow along with greasyness. Thinning tails, coats in general thinning- not in an overgrooming way.

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 02/07/11 03:54 PM.

Allie
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1068058
02/07/11 03:38 PM
02/07/11 03:38 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
We have fed all four of our gliders the blended mix since getting them a year ago. Two of our gliders we adopted last March, they are about to be 8 yrs. old and were on PP diet when we adopted them and switched them to the blended diet. We also give them about 11/2 T of fruit yogurt in the morning and each get 6 meal worms and share 2 T of Kiefer in the mid afternoon. I also noticed our gliders were getting very cracked fur about October, which just seemed to be getting worse. They have also been picky vegetable eater the last two months. They are favoring beans and fresh leafy vegetables and refusing to eat anything else. I blamed the cracked fur on two things. Their picky eating and the fact that the house has been dry since fall. I bought a vaporizer, warm heat, three weeks ago. I keep it next to the cage, run it all day and all night. This weekend, we noticed a dramatic change in their fur. It is much softer, fluffy tails and no cracks. We also "caught" them sitting on the side of the cage closest to the vaporizer, for minutes at a time, as though enjoying the mist. I also was interested in this thread because we had noticed a change in our glider. But, like Candy, I am wondering if they are having a difficult time with this winter, and lack of humidity in the air. Our houses are so well insulated now that they do not get an exchange of air from outside as the older homes tend to get. Just a few thoughts.. Non of our gliders are bred, so I can't comment on that.

:grey: Foehn :grey: CB

:grey: Rossby :grey: Sprite

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

The Glider Chronicles blog
gliderchronicles.blogspot.com
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1068095
02/07/11 05:08 PM
02/07/11 05:08 PM
Rhode Island
Legend Offline
Glider Lover
Legend  Offline
Glider Lover

Rhode Island
I recently started feeding Blended about a month or so ago.

I haven't seen any negative impacts on any of my girls. Three of them were rescued January 6th. When they came to me, while having very full and fluffy coats with only very slight cracking, they were brown with malnutrition.

I brought them over to Blended right away, and they've immediately started looking better, now all very fluffy and gray, as their usual color should be.

I switched over my other glider with these three, due to the fact that she wasn't eating as well as she used to, she now cleans her plate whenever I give her any sort of fruit and vegetable. (Anyone who has seen my pervious thread would know that Daisy was a very very very picky eater.)

Katie
:grey: Daisy
:grey: Pansy and Lily
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1068124
02/07/11 06:09 PM
02/07/11 06:09 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
I'd like to mention that I have always fed more than 2 tsp. My breeding trio gets roughly 4 tablespoons a night and they practically clear their plates!

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1068154
02/07/11 07:00 PM
02/07/11 07:00 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
ok, we have central air and humidity... so that is not the issue we were having. The room is on auto temp control and humidity is set 24 hrs a day to keep humidity the same throughout the year. Just clarifying is all for my glider room. wink

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024