Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Berg] #1071191
02/13/11 02:35 AM
02/13/11 02:35 AM
Kentucky
nancy1202 Offline
Glider Addict
nancy1202  Offline
Glider Addict

Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Berg
The fact that they occurred after you changed diets could be just coincidence. Perhaps weight gains and losses can be attributed to some of the gliders really liking this diet and others not liking it.
Actually I disagree. Bowls are cleaned so obviously they like it. Metabolism and body type/how the food is processed probably has more to do with the weights and losses. Coincidence that mostly breeders are having issues? Possibly... but not worth the risk to my gliders for me to minimize or ignore.

That's again assuming the diet is the issue and/or the only issue. At best, there is circumstantial evidence that's it is. The only way I would be convinced there there might be a general problem is if results were reproducible, i.e someone who had problems, switched to a diet other than the Blended and problems cleared, and then switched back to Blended to see if problems reappeared, with all other things the same.
Well, that is probably not going to happen. tounge I have no desire to convince you or anyone else of anything. It is simply my intention, as is the purpose of this thread, to share my concerns and experiences since switching to the Blended diet. I do not have the scientific background or knowledge to draw any conclusions. I am observing changes in my gliders, and trying to identify possible contributing factors. You too are welcome to share your experiences. If you are not having any issues, then by all means keep doing what you are doing! thumb

~Nancy~
http://www.derbycitygliders.com

:grey: Jackson/Izzie, Lukas/Leilah, Mizuki/Elektra, Oliver/Ava, Ramon/Paloma, Charming/Snow
Rest of the menagerie: dogs, cats, corn snake, bearded dragon
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071277
02/13/11 11:19 AM
02/13/11 11:19 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Now that I have had issues and switched back to HPW, I would not switch back to blended. My gliders are precious as are their lives, I personally would not want to experiment with this and risk hurting them by switching back to a diet that clearly had not worked for them. Honelsty, I am not sure anyone ever will. It has to be something, no one can pinpoint what...it works for some and not for others. It did not work for me and again, I have 5 cages, one cage is a breeding pair, the other four cages are non breeders. That is 11 non breeding gliders that have been effected by this alone in my home.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071312
02/13/11 12:46 PM
02/13/11 12:46 PM

N
NGS
Unregistered
NGS
Unregistered
N

We have been on the Blended diet for a while and have noticed fur staining, thining of tails and one of my gliders likes the diet so well he put on weight-to much. I thought maybe the staining was from dad marking so much but now am thinking maybe its all diet related. I am thinking about switching back to the HPW to see if anything changes.

I feed the Blended diet #1 with fresh fruit & veggies.

Edited to add: My gliders did seem to love this diet, so I wonder with some tweaking if things would get better? confused dunno

Last edited by NGS; 02/13/11 01:12 PM.
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: cinnamonstix] #1071315
02/13/11 01:12 PM
02/13/11 01:12 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Originally Posted By: cinnamonstix
Now that I have had issues and switched back to HPW, I would not switch back to blended. My gliders are precious as are their lives, I personally would not want to experiment with this and risk hurting them by switching back to a diet that clearly had not worked for them. Honelsty, I am not sure anyone ever will. It has to be something, no one can pinpoint what...it works for some and not for others. It did not work for me and again, I have 5 cages, one cage is a breeding pair, the other four cages are non breeders. That is 11 non breeding gliders that have been effected by this alone in my home.

I wouldn't expect most that were having a problem to switch back just to test it, especially if you are breeding. However, it's the process that needs to happen if this is to be factually resolved one way or the other.

Most everyone appears to be operating on the assumption that it is the diet. Again, maybe, maybe not. The danger in that assumption is that then one tends to stop looking for other things that may actually be the problem.

I think the power of suggestion is also operating here. One person posted their concerns (and concerns of others she had talked to) about the diet. That is valid. However, there are others that read this thread and think "Hmmm, I am seeing this symptom and feeding the Blended diet, so it must be the diet."

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071317
02/13/11 01:23 PM
02/13/11 01:23 PM

N
NGS
Unregistered
NGS
Unregistered
N

I get what you are saying with power of suggestion but when you have more than a couple breeders with more than one symptom and all the same SYMPTOMS than clearly those are not power of suggestion.

I have noticed more than one symptom wrong with my gliders and have been trying to figure out what the problem is, so when I see other people on here with the same issues as mine than I can make that conection, without the power of suggestion.

I also wonder out of all of us with these issues where are your gliders from?

I have herd that there is a couple lines of gliders out there that are allergic to yogert. So I wonder if that could be the problem in itself?????

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071326
02/13/11 01:44 PM
02/13/11 01:44 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Steve, I understand what you mean about the coincidences..

with so many variations, and all the variables involved with the blended diet options.. there is literally NO WAY to pinpoint an issue if it truly is a diet issue, this was one of the things we all discussed years ago with the BML, to keep it simple, to be restrictive, the back to bml back to basics is what was used and tested. if the diet showed that the iron levels were too high, then we were limited as to what it was we needed to change, the same with the animal, and plant proteins, vit A, K and especially the selinium.

taking 2 diet plans, combining them, adding the options of an unbelievable number of choices with the fruits and veggies.. having multiple variations, makes the blended diet, not much different than not having a diet plan at all. I am not bashing the blended diet. and I haven't said anything till now. but these are the issues that candy needs to address.

for the sake of argument here.. but Candy, if it is a diet issue that is not providing what the breeders need, where will you start, in order to find out what the problems are, and what needs to be changed..

peggy and I discussed years ago combining the bml with the hpw, I have also been asked by others what I would have done different.. well the hpw wasn't readily available then, but yes I would have used it as well as acacia gum, but in order to do that now, I would have to totally reformulate the BML to accommodate. Peggy and I agreed then, that they were going to be two different plans.

I for one appreciate the work involved in creating a diet, I also know what it is like to be on the diet firing line, and worst of all I know what it is like to have people accuse the diet if it is something else.

years ago, the bml came under fire because a bunch of gliders got sick, but they were displaying calcium def. HLP type symptoms, after much blood testing this was confirmed to be true.. however due to the ratios in the bml, we knew it had to be something else, so a vet did further testing , only to find out it was bacterial issues, that was leeching the calcium.. the various gliders were treated for the bacterial issues and the issues stopped. it opened the door for more medical information, and also cleared the BML as well. But I was in there with these owners trying to find out what was causing this. This was also YEARS of the BML being used and not just a few months.

this thread wasn't the first you had heard about this, someone else stated that they too had contacted you before, you offered suggestions or changes..

I also agree with Nancy that just because they like the taste, or eat all their food each night, doesn't mean it is good for them or adequately is supplying what they need.

With the BML, IF a glider was to clean their bowl each night, every night, and they were still being fed up to 4 times what is recommended, I would be concerned.

there is no consistency in the blended diet to say it isn't the diet, these are the same type of symptoms we see in rescue with gliders that are not on a staple diet. which very well may easily explain why these same issues have a history even before the blended diet.

there is truly too much modifying creating of diets, claiming they are feeding a specific diet, that it is near impossible to say it is the staple diets anymore.

Good luck and truly my best wishes, that you can figure this out.

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: nancy1202] #1071329
02/13/11 01:47 PM
02/13/11 01:47 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Originally Posted By: nancy1202
The fact that they occurred after you changed diets could be just coincidence. Perhaps weight gains and losses can be attributed to some of the gliders really liking this diet and others not liking it.
Actually I disagree. Bowls are cleaned so obviously they like it. Metabolism and body type/how the food is processed probably has more to do with the weights and losses. Coincidence that mostly breeders are having issues? Possibly... but not worth the risk to my gliders for me to minimize or ignore.

I'm curious about how you (and others) monitor food consumption. We have four gliders in one cage, and put in two kitchens with a dish of blended diet and and dish or fruit or veggies in each. They usually eat everything we put in for them, but we really don't know who is eating what or how much. The assumption is (and probably incorrect) that they are all getting the same eating what they want. Short of segregating them individually or videotaping, the only monitoring we an do is weighing them each week.

That's again assuming the diet is the issue and/or the only issue. At best, there is circumstantial evidence that's it is. The only way I would be convinced there there might be a general problem is if results were reproducible, i.e someone who had problems, switched to a diet other than the Blended and problems cleared, and then switched back to Blended to see if problems reappeared, with all other things the same.
Well, that is probably not going to happen. tounge I have no desire to convince you or anyone else of anything. It is simply my intention, as is the purpose of this thread, to share my concerns and experiences since switching to the Blended diet. I do not have the scientific background or knowledge to draw any conclusions. I am observing changes in my gliders, and trying to identify possible contributing factors. You too are welcome to share your experiences. If you are not having any issues, then by all means keep doing what you are doing! thumb [/quote]

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, we have been feeding this diet to our gliders for 18 and 12 months with no issues we are aware of. Of course we are all going to do what's best for our gliders, and I don't expect you or anyone else to prove anything to me. It's my intention in this thread to suggest everyone be careful jumping to conclusions. That would apply whether we were talking about diet or anything else.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071332
02/13/11 01:58 PM
02/13/11 01:58 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
So here is my problem.

Determining what if anything needs to be changed in the Blended diet.

Even if I make changes to the recipe, I have now lost the trust of the community - partially because this was brought up on 3 different glider forums, and had apparently been discussed among several folks before that, but no one brought up the problem or discussed it with me prior to posting on the forums.

So, once I have gathered more information, perhaps looking at other nutrients in all of the glider diets and making further comparisons between all of them, I may make a change or adjustment to the Blended diet.

However, I doubt if any of those who feel the diet has created health issues in their gliders would ever be willing to try a revised recipe. There in lies the problem. There would be no comparison under equal circumstances between the original Blended diet recipe and any modifications I may make in the future.

All glider diets depend on the test of time, since we have not recommended daily requirements for gliders to work with.

I will evaluate the Blended diet, but at the present time I am in the process of selling my home in order to move to a smaller one that better suits my needs now. ALL of my research documents, notes and printed information had already been packed in a box for the eventual move before this subject was started on the forums. I cannot begin to gather more data until I am able to pull these files out and that will not happen until after I move.

By all means change diets if you feel it is necessary. My gliders will be continuing on the Blended diet (I use #4, chicken only) and I will have blood tests done and possibly xrays when I have Hugo neutered in a month or so (he is staying with his mom & dad)

Please feel free to send me your individual observations and concerns by email - LuvMyGliderKids@aol.com so I can continue to collect information on the versions each of you is using and the fruits and vegetables fed over a week's time. This information will help me determine if there are other vitamin issues that need to be considered - I will look at the vitamin and mineral content of the fruits and vegetables with the version you are using.

The more data you share, not just symptoms, the more we can learn from this.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071333
02/13/11 01:59 PM
02/13/11 01:59 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

I have 18 soon to be 22 gliders, and each one has their own food bowl, yes gliders do pick and choose which one is theirs, each bowl is hidden from the others. I do have 6 six gliders in one cage and yes 6 food bowls. I also put in the recommended amount plus a LITTLE more to be sure they eat enough, my joeys eat more mix as does my breeders but not even 2 times the amount, let alone 4 times the amount. There should be enough food that there is still some left in the morning,I also feed my fruits veggies and BML all in one bowl (per glider) I am curious as to how much blended would have to be fed, in order to have some left in the morn..

as for 3 boards and you feeling attacked, well as I stated I too have been there.. but those 3 boards also give you 3 sets of voices, symptoms, ideas.. utilize them.. did I feel attacked , absolutely, it is near impossible not to, as this is your "baby" attack my baby, you attack me.. but putting this on the back burner is not the way to regain trust, some you may never regain.. but who really cares.. is this about peoples trust and support, or is it about the gliders, their health, their diet?

Quote:

The more data you share, not just symptoms, the more we can learn from this.

it is the symptoms you need to work with, data can be misdiagnosed, if the symptoms are not totally explored.

feel free to call me candy

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: CandyOtte] #1071347
02/13/11 02:44 PM
02/13/11 02:44 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: OtteMom

Even if I make changes to the recipe, I have now lost the trust of the community - partially because this was brought up on 3 different glider forums, and had apparently been discussed among several folks before that, but no one brought up the problem or discussed it with me prior to posting on the forums.

Candy, I don't use your diet, but I suggest it to a lot of people.

I just wanted to say that I don't think you have lost the trust of the community. Though I know the feeling, I don't want you to feel that way. You are extremely glider knowledgeable, especially in regards to diet.

IF this has something to do with your diet, take it as a slight bump in the road and a learning experience.

You didn't know any of this until recently. You can't change what you don't know. And, honestly, the way you've handled this, and the fact that you're looking at what may need changing shows a lot about your character. hug2

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071350
02/13/11 02:54 PM
02/13/11 02:54 PM
FL
V
vhenke11 Offline
Glider Explorer
vhenke11  Offline
Glider Explorer
V

FL
She has help me so I thank candy ^_^

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071435
02/13/11 05:53 PM
02/13/11 05:53 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Blended does taste good, my kitty would get his face in there trying to get to it any time it was within his grasps. Now we are back on HPW and Skyes (kitty) don't want anything to do with it. Pretty funny. It is a good diet, we liked it for the most part, it was just the issues we seen after a long time of using. I liked the variety of ingredients and the ease of feeding but in the end it just did not work out. It happens. I don't know how a diet would be 100% right the first try, sometimes need reworking. Just in the news a few days ago they were debating if dairy is as good a source of calcium as we think. US is like the only country using dairy as it's primary source and US also has the highest osteoporosis rate where as other countires use fruits and veggies and such to get their calcium. Also magnesium is needed to absorb calcium, are we feeding enough magnesium? We could be leaving out some key vitamin or mineral or simply not feeding enough of it, so hard to say. So like I said, things happen and we don't always get it RIGHT the first time. How many years has the US used dairy as it has, and just now they are discovering.

Rest assured Candy, I think you did an awesome job with the diet and whatever it is that is off, well I know you did not do it intentionally, none of would. I appreciate all the hard work you put in, even if it did not work out for us here and I respect as much as you tried to make it the best you could. I wish you all the luck in getting to the bottom of whatever it is that is creating issues for some of us and our suggies.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: cinnamonstix] #1071436
02/13/11 06:03 PM
02/13/11 06:03 PM
NC
C
carolinasuggies Offline
Glider Guardian
carolinasuggies  Offline
Glider Guardian
C

NC
Blended does taste good, my kitty would get his face in there trying to get to it any time it was within his grasps. Now we are back on HPW and Skyes (kitty) don't want anything to do with it. Pretty funny. It is a good diet, we liked it for the most part, it was just the issues we seen after a long time of using. I liked the variety of ingredients and the ease of feeding but in the end it just did not work out. It happens. I don't know how a diet would be 100% right the first try, sometimes need reworking. Just in the news a few days ago they were debating if dairy is as good a source of calcium as we think. US is like the only country using dairy as it's primary source and US also has the highest osteoporosis rate where as other countires use fruits and veggies and such to get their calcium. Also magnesium is needed to absorb calcium, are we feeding enough magnesium? We could be leaving out some key vitamin or mineral or simply not feeding enough of it, so hard to say. So like I said, things happen and we don't always get it RIGHT the first time. How many years has the US used dairy as it has, and just now they are discovering.

Rest assured Candy, I think you did an awesome job with the diet and whatever it is that is off, well I know you did not do it intentionally, none of would. I appreciate all the hard work you put in, even if it did not work out for us here and I respect as much as you tried to make it the best you could. I wish you all the luck in getting to the bottom of whatever it is that is creating issues for some of us and our suggies.

clap agree thumb

Mommy to my kid's & slave to my suggies

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071612
02/14/11 12:09 AM
02/14/11 12:09 AM

N
NGS
Unregistered
NGS
Unregistered
N

I would also like to add that I do think this diet is good and for any of us that have had any issues, I think it may just need some tweaking to solve everything.

I was only thinking about switching back to HPW long enough until some tweaking could be done. I appreciate all the hard work and effort Candy has put into this diet and hope that she will contuine to do so. I do believe as long as you move forward in solving these issues you will always have the trust of the community. smile

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: ] #1071630
02/14/11 01:09 AM
02/14/11 01:09 AM
Wisconsin
glidermom71 Offline
Glider Guardian
glidermom71  Offline
Glider Guardian

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Megs

Candy, I don't use your diet, but I suggest it to a lot of people.

I just wanted to say that I don't think you have lost the trust of the community. Though I know the feeling, I don't want you to feel that way. You are extremely glider knowledgeable, especially in regards to diet.

IF this has something to do with your diet, take it as a slight bump in the road and a learning experience.

You didn't know any of this until recently. You can't change what you don't know. And, honestly, the way you've handled this, and the fact that you're looking at what may need changing shows a lot about your character. hug2

I currently use the blended diet and have suggested the diet to others.
I also agree with what Megs said.
hug2 to Candy

Slave to:
2 suggies~Diamond & Jewels (oop 9/27/10)
1 Miniature Pinscher~Minmin

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071634
02/14/11 01:28 AM
02/14/11 01:28 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Candy -

I switched to Blended diet because I liked the reasoning and logic and nutritional science behind it. It "makes sense" to me. It still does. Just, apparently not to my gliders.

I have absolutely NOT lost faith in you. I still refer people to you and will continue to do so. I am absolutely willing to continue to work with you as you tweak this diet. I use your diet Calculator all the time!

I sincerely apologize for not discussing it with you. In my mind, it never really got to that point. I was just kicking ideas around with the people I speak with regularly. I hadn't even realized it was "bigger" than that until I saw this thread. Truthfully - because I had several double batches of the dry ingredients already mixed up in my freezer - I've been doing a very gradual switch, and haven't even completed it yet. I was "concerned" about my gliders' lack of activity, but not so much that I felt it was life-threatening, or warranted a emergency diet switch. I'm comfortable enough with Blended to continue to use up what I have while also mixing it with HPW.

I don't know what's being said on other forums to make you think people have lost confidence in you. But, from my perspective, that isn't the case.

I think were I in your position, I'd absolutely feel as you do now. However, I also wish you'd not take this all so much to heart, and work with those who will work with you to make any necessary tweaks. Hugs, Candy. This isn't at all a personal attack on you. Or your science. Or your logic.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1071653
02/14/11 03:53 AM
02/14/11 03:53 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Candy, I also want to add in here that I dont think the community would lose any faith or trust in you. At least they shouldnt anyway! So if you realize there is a way to improve on your diet and make changes, that would (or should) only make people trust you more, as you were willing to put feelings aside and make the changes for the "good of the glider"

But I do understand how you feel hug2 This is one reason why I never wanted to tell anyone how I fed my gliders. But I honestly had so many people ask, so I put it out there. I have changed "my" diet numerous times. And sometimes went back to a former recipe (like I am now smile )because of something I see in the gliders. Like Bourbon, I am getting back to "my" basics. Glider diets in the wild arent that complicated with alot of various types of things. Maybe we do make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Like I said to you previously, when you are ready, I would LOVE to "brainstorm" with you on these things.

As for whether ot not the diet is or is not good? People do need to understand that not every glider will thrive on a specific diet. One may do well on HPW and not BML and the reverse is true.

Any diet that uses cut up fruit rather than smoothies is also going to have some variables. Arwen doesnt like a particular type of papaya, if that is the type I am serving this week, all week long she will go without that, but the other gliders munch it up. So that week, she is losing out. What if a person doesnt notice this and it goes on. The person may not realize that one glider in the cage gets ALL the good fruit and the other eats all the corn. I guess this is one reason why people do use smoothies. I personally dont like to though.

Candy, you are wonderful for taking the time to create this diet. It is a good thing people have mentioned some effects of being on it. Now we can just make it better! But if people decide to use or not use it doesnt really affect you, you gain or lose nothing. I know you care about the gliders. As do I. But honestly, and people forget this I think, it REALLY is up to each owner to do their research and take responsibility for their own actions regarding sugar gliders. I love that people can come here for help. But when something goes wrong, I dont like the finger pointing. No one is twisting anyone's arm on here to feed this or do that.

So keep it up girly! Collect that data and when you are settled, give me a buzz!

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Bourbon] #1071666
02/14/11 05:32 AM
02/14/11 05:32 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Bourbon
With the BML, IF a glider was to clean their bowl each night, every night, and they were still being fed up to 4 times what is recommended, I would be concerned.

Bourbon I am only feeding an extra portion of food to my gliders with joeys. Jadzia and Worf have twin joeys currently so I give them an extra portion of Blended diet, fruits and vegetables.

My gliders are having no problems with this diet, there are always some of the staple, fruits and vegetables left in the morning, but no where near the amount they were leaving before. They just didn't eat well on BML or HPW, which was my primary reason for trying the Blended diet.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1072978
02/17/11 01:37 AM
02/17/11 01:37 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Just updating that coats are starting to smooth out and look less crackly. Fur is softer, still stained obviously, but improvements have started. Nemo has gained 5g back since we started back on HPW. A couple of gliders tails are starting to fluff out a bit, we still have a ways to go until we are back to normal. Icarus still weighs 185, hopefully he and a couple of my girls that got fat in the pouch will trim down a little bit with the change back. More updates to come.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1076388
02/23/11 08:34 PM
02/23/11 08:34 PM
NC
C
carolinasuggies Offline
Glider Guardian
carolinasuggies  Offline
Glider Guardian
C

NC
I have still seen no negative effects from the blended with my glider's!

Mommy to my kid's & slave to my suggies

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: CandyOtte] #1080023
03/02/11 09:59 PM
03/02/11 09:59 PM
Kentucky
nancy1202 Offline
Glider Addict
nancy1202  Offline
Glider Addict

Kentucky
Candy, I know you said you weren't able to devote any attention to this because of your pending move last month. Many of us still feed Blended and will be watching and waiting for any new developments. I do have the same concerns that you brought up in the "new HPW powder" thread:
In the future, if health issues are observed in someone's gliders and they are asked "what diet do you feed?" and they reply "HPW" We will need to play 20 questions on which HPW variety they are really feeding. HPW Original Recipe, HPW Original with added green juice, HPW Original with applesauce in place of part of the honey, HPW Original recipe with various amounts of green juice substituting for x amount of honey or water, HPW PLUS - with or without green juice, HPW COMPLETE - with or without green juice, Then there are all those personal "Modified HPW" recipes posted on individual breeder's web pages.
There are several versions of the Blended diet and an unlimited combination of fruits/veggies/treats, etc. This will be a daunting task.

I have switched 5 cages, all of my breeding gliders and those on the small side (under 100 grams), to a different diet. The other 4 cages are still on Blended.

Please keep us posted!

~Nancy~
http://www.derbycitygliders.com

:grey: Jackson/Izzie, Lukas/Leilah, Mizuki/Elektra, Oliver/Ava, Ramon/Paloma, Charming/Snow
Rest of the menagerie: dogs, cats, corn snake, bearded dragon
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: cinnamonstix] #1080030
03/02/11 10:28 PM
03/02/11 10:28 PM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
Just updating that coats are starting to smooth out and look less crackly. Fur is softer, still stained obviously, but improvements have started. Nemo has gained 5g back since we started back on HPW. A couple of gliders tails are starting to fluff out a bit, we still have a ways to go until we are back to normal. Icarus still weighs 185, hopefully he and a couple of my girls that got fat in the pouch will trim down a little bit with the change back. More updates to come.

My gliders used to be fed the BML and their previous owner switched them to the HPW. She said she noticed a big difference in the way they looked and acted. Their coats were fuller, softer, and had less "cracks" and they seemed more happy and energetic. I kept them on the same diet since she knew the differences and I figured it would be best to stick with what she'd experienced.

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: kjgoulet] #1080045
03/02/11 10:46 PM
03/02/11 10:46 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Originally Posted By: kjgoulet

My gliders used to be fed the BML and their previous owner switched them to the HPW. She said she noticed a big difference in the way they looked and acted. Their coats were fuller, softer, and had less "cracks" and they seemed more happy and energetic. I kept them on the same diet since she knew the differences and I figured it would be best to stick with what she'd experienced.

This is a thread about the concerns some individuals had about feeding Candy's Blended diet. Not about BML or what they look like after switching to a different diet from BML. thumb

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 03/02/11 10:46 PM.

Allie
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #1080047
03/02/11 11:00 PM
03/02/11 11:00 PM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

This is a thread about the concerns some individuals had about feeding Candy's Blended diet. Not about BML or what they look like after switching to a different diet from BML. thumb

I was making a comment about what was said and that my gliders had the same outcomes.. When the topic says Blended diet Concerns, it could mean any blended diet. Maybe OP should've put it Candy's in there too.

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: kjgoulet] #1080050
03/02/11 11:13 PM
03/02/11 11:13 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine

I was making a comment about what was said and that my gliders had the same outcomes.. When the topic says Blended Diet Concerns, it could mean any blended diet. Maybe OP should've put it Candy's in there too.

Many diets are made in a blender. Nevertheless, they are not considered "blended diets." The only blended diet *is* Candy's blended diet.

Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1083414
03/11/11 04:35 PM
03/11/11 04:35 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Update!

since switching back to HPW. Joey sizes have increased significantly!

Lillie was OOP 2/3 and weights 51 grams. Her full brother Lucky (from litter just before her) was 54 grams at 9 weeks OOP.

Cosmo and Libra had twins OOP 2 days ago, both weighing 14 grams. Their full sisters (from litter before) came OOP at 9 grams a piece.

Coats are looking cleaner and more plush. And the gliders thats tails were thinning are growing back!

Allie
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #1083448
03/11/11 06:10 PM
03/11/11 06:10 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Update!

since switching back to HPW. Joey sizes have increased significantly!

Lillie was OOP 2/3 and weights 51 grams. Her full brother Lucky (from litter just before her) was 54 grams at 9 weeks OOP.

Cosmo and Libra had twins OOP 2 days ago, both weighing 14 grams. Their full sisters (from litter before) came OOP at 9 grams a piece.

Coats are looking cleaner and more plush. And the gliders thats tails were thinning are growing back!

Curious how long before you noticed any difference in the fur and tails?

Last edited by JillMarie; 03/11/11 06:11 PM.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1083458
03/11/11 06:37 PM
03/11/11 06:37 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
about a month. 4-5 weeks.

Allie
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1083484
03/11/11 09:22 PM
03/11/11 09:22 PM
Raymond, NH, USA
JeremysDad Offline
Glider Explorer
JeremysDad  Offline
Glider Explorer

Raymond, NH, USA
I have had J and L on the diet for 5 months? not exactly sure when I started. They clean their plate almost every night. I miss fruits, vegs and blended all together. I use version 1.

I guess you could say I have modified the diet, because I use 1000 instead of 900 as the recipe calls for (I did mention this to Candy). I had bought the capsules Without Vit D for another diet and I wanted to finish the two bottles I had just bought.

Sometimes I mix some yogurt in as a treat. Mine get yogurt.blueberry drops, gerber puff, papaya and dried fig treats, some yogies ... apples or fruit in pouches if I think they need it or a treat for being good.

They are only 9 months old and weight 90 grams and tails look the same as usual.

The new girls have been on it for a week.

Jeremy, Lexie and Zoey
Mimi & Pepper, Skeeter, Beaker & Alladin, Nell & Ling
Group Leader - Mill Breeder Project
Re: Blended Diet Concerns - Part One [Re: Adri] #1108774
05/04/11 10:37 AM
05/04/11 10:37 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I want to update that Nemo's weight went from 115 on blended (which is very small for him) up to 135. His fur is looking more and more better. I would still say not 100% IMO but it looks significantly better. I need to weigh everyone else, but my breeding male Rafiki has also gone from 110 to 155. One factor is he also just hit a year old and still could have been growing/filling out some. All I know is he looks GOOD!

Will weigh and compare and post more updates as I have them. Within in the day or so.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,692 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024