Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Children and tent time? #1087601
03/20/11 02:35 PM
03/20/11 02:35 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline OP
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
My daughter is about to turn 5~ I have kept her pretty far away from any interaction with my gliders as I felt she was simply too little. There was an incident when she was smaller that basically caused me to forbid any interaction whatsoever.. for her safety and theirs.

But now~~ she has developed a huge interest in the gliders in the home. I think a lot of this has been building up since December~ as she was the one who discovered Thor.

And then, she was with me when I rescued Karma, and she was at the vet with us when Karma got checked up. So this would have been her first experience with a glider "loose" in the room.

And then she was with us when we drove to Denver to pick up Zinger..

So now she follows me around while I clean, sew, make foods.. and asks tons of questions about their care and everything and anything about them and their noises and behaviors....

I know maturity has a lot to do with *when* one may include their children in glider interaction.

What I wonder is, how old were your children when you say~ invited them in for a tent time or something of the sort?

I think I still have a few things that need to be taken care of before I include my daughter in something like tent time (one being ~bonding with Zinger for his security and mine, the other being that she *know* not to get scared or grab, but to just sit and watch~~)

But what are the general thoughts on this and how'd you get your kids ready for something like this?

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087606
03/20/11 02:58 PM
03/20/11 02:58 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Well, my daughter is 20 and I STILL tell her she can't have the gliders. Ummm, okay...so I do that because I'm selfish and don't want to give them up! roflmao

I have no small children here but I think that every situation is different. I have seen it go both ways. Is your daughter calm? Is she afraid at all about their noises or when they move terribly fast? If she's comfortable and can just sit still and allow them to jump on and off her in the tent, then as long as you're there, I don't see a problem with her being there with you. If she isn't good with sitting still or is constantly wanting to touch and hold them, then I think maybe you want to wait a bit longer before allowing her to join you.

Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087611
03/20/11 03:07 PM
03/20/11 03:07 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
When we do tent time our gliders are all over the place jumping, playing and generally having a blast. My concern with smaller kids (for me this means anyone under 9 or 10 at the earliest) is what could happen if the glider jumps directly on them? I mean, my gliders like to jump on our heads, glider to our faces at times, and pretty much anywhere else on our bodies. I would think a smaller child would be scared and possibly hurt by a glide to the top of the head or to the face. We all know that they can land smack dab on your cheek and they hang on with their nails. I would be worried that a child would jump or try to pull the glider off an would get hurt.

Small children move fast and aren't any more predictable than a glider is. I just feel like, in a play situation and not quietly holding the glider, kids and gliders are oil and water. They just don't mix.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087614
03/20/11 03:14 PM
03/20/11 03:14 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline OP
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
lol! Your poor daughter roflmao

Well~~ she laughs when Zinger crabs and I jump shakehead
So I don't think she is afraid of their noises lol~

I think she would have no problem just sitting and following directions if dad is there too.
She did exceptionally well at the vet and sat quietly and watched because she knew the vet visit could stress the glider.

I think the one telling thing would be to know how she would react when a glider jumped on her.

Years ago before I had kids I watched this little girl all the time who did very well with my gliders. And one of her friends got terrified when the glider jumped on her.

Unfortunately there would be no way to know her reaction to this one thing until it actually happened~~ Maybe if I let her *watch* a tent time from the outside of the tent she can see what it will be like?

I really want to use this as a learning experience for her, and I know she is matured more than I give her credit for sometimes (I still see my little baby!!).. so tough to know for sure..~

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087615
03/20/11 03:18 PM
03/20/11 03:18 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline OP
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
Tracy I agree a lot to that~~ Those are a lot of my worries about interaction~

I don't want her to get hurt and I don't want them to get hurt~~

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087620
03/20/11 03:50 PM
03/20/11 03:50 PM
Franklin, NC
singingintherain Offline
Joey Member
singingintherain  Offline
Joey Member

Franklin, NC
I brought my little girl in with me at tent time, she is six, and she did GREAT! and she LOVED it! smile Just explain before you go in that she has to sit still and not be afraid or scare the glider. Let her know that if she can't follow those rules, she will have to go outside of the tent and watch through the window. I am sure, as long as you are right there supervising, she will be just fine. smile

Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087625
03/20/11 04:01 PM
03/20/11 04:01 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Quote:
I brought my little girl in with me at tent time, she is six, and she did GREAT! and she LOVED it! smile Just explain before you go in that she has to sit still and not be afraid or scare the glider. Let her know that if she can't follow those rules, she will have to go outside of the tent and watch through the window. I am sure, as long as you are right there supervising, she will be just fine. smile

sounds like your little girl did great! From the sounds of things SGQ's little girl is a quite patient child too. I'm just stating warnings because some gliders are way more active and bouncy than others. If SGQ has a glider that likes to give face hugs or glide to a head or face the scratches could hurt a child's face A LOT! Not to mention the panic that a kid could feel with sharp claws in their face. I have seen teenage kids who are a little unnerved by a glider to the cheek. So, I'm not saying, 'don't do it.' I'm saying be careful and be prepared for what could happen. agree

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Children and tent time? [Re: tjlong] #1087634
03/20/11 04:30 PM
03/20/11 04:30 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
Originally Posted By: tjlong
Quote:

sounds like your little girl did great! From the sounds of things SGQ's little girl is a quite patient child too. I'm just stating warnings because some gliders are way more active and bouncy than others. If SGQ has a glider that likes to give face hugs or glide to a head or face the scratches could hurt a child's face A LOT! Not to mention the panic that a kid could feel with sharp claws in their face. I have seen teenage kids who are a little unnerved by a glider to the cheek. So, I'm not saying, 'don't do it.' I'm saying be careful and be prepared for what could happen. agree

I agree 100%! Everyone is different, but I really only let my husband come in during playtime. That's it. Even my 50-something mother and 20-something sister were scared of the gliders during playtime! They just move so quickly and have such sharp claws!

Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087647
03/20/11 04:57 PM
03/20/11 04:57 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I have two nieces that live in town. The oldest was holding and letting gliders climb on her when she was 2. The youngest just turned 6 and she is only allowed interaction with me hovering and often holding one or both of her hands still. It does have a lot to do with temperament (of the child and the glider).

They have both been in tent time with the gliders, but because gliders are so active in the tent, it is a strictly sit and watch, let them climb on you if they want, but don't reach out or touch them. And wash hands REALLY well before letting them get in the tent, kids always seem to smell like food (especially to the gliders). roflmao

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087669
03/20/11 05:23 PM
03/20/11 05:23 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I agree with Gretchen on this one, it really depends on the glider and the child.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087687
03/20/11 05:59 PM
03/20/11 05:59 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline OP
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
Ya know~ Twinkie is one I wouldn't worry about. He is a snuggler and fairly gentle ~ he's just a big sweetie pie.
Now Zinger~ is a bit on the wild side~~
I wouldn't put it past him to nibble a bit vigorously or jump on someone's face! (I've already got to feel his vigorous chewing and feel his claws lol!)
Maybe I should have considered this when Twinkie was still alone as a way to introduce my daughter to glider interaction?

Maybe after Karma is more settled and after her second fecal comes in clear we could try with her? She is another sweetheart~ though she does enjoy hair..
That one may take time.. well and will certainly take my husband's participation because I heavily suspect Karma has claimed him as hers lol!

Oh and Gretchen! Good point about the food! My daughter got nipped when she was really little for just that! They just smell so yummy poor things!

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087695
03/20/11 06:29 PM
03/20/11 06:29 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
I have a 4yr old daughter and she absolutely loves our gliders. Hailee will do anything to get tent time with our critters. The gliders fly on her and climb all over her. She has learned when she sees one ready to glide to her to cover her face with her hands because she doesn't like the face landings but she has never ever jumped or reacted in any way that would hurt a baby. I just made Hailee her own little bonding pouch and sewed a little glider for hert to have her own sugar glider and she packs it everywhere and does everything with it that I do with the real ones. She even cautions the other kids to be careful when touching the baby. Now I also have a 3 yr old foster son who is very very wild and he has come in the tent with us for about 15 minutes and he has to sit on my lap the entire time because I worry with how wild he is he might step on one. I also have a 16 yr old with a lot of special needs who loves tent time. I have seen him tghrive when he gets to interact with the gliders. He was soooo happy the other day when Tigger our not very tame baby decided Mark was the one he CHOSE to be his tree. He would glide all over but always came right back to Mark. He also kept climbing up to his face and lightly nipping his ears....anyone know what that means?
So tent time for kids i think is a for sure but make sure you know your kids and gliders so you know how to handle them all.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1087731
03/20/11 08:27 PM
03/20/11 08:27 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
The only thing I would be concerned about is the ways in which gliders use their teeth...scraping or vigorous grooming, nibbling to taste, and full out biting....gliders do all of these things on a whim and we as adults know what to expect, but imagine a glider starting to "groom" or scrape with their teeth on a 5-year-old....the child could, just based on instinct and reaction alone, swat or throw the glider off them, thereby really injuring the glider....small children and gliders....kinda tricky to me....

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1088069
03/21/11 12:49 PM
03/21/11 12:49 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline OP
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
Aww Connie that is so awesome smile
I really like the idea of giving her her own stuffed suggie to care for! That is adorable!
*And the nibbling of the ears, sounds like little love bites lol~

Jess~ I agree~ very tricky. I only really know Twinkie~ the other 2 I am just learning their behaviors.. and honestly~ they are still learning me. I think this may have to be something we wait on. I think Twinkie would be wonderful But he is paired with Zinger now and I can't separate them even to get a weight without them flipping out lol~
And from what I have seen.. Zinger is a rough everything ~ he's a chewer, nibbler, and hyper. I think he would startle my daughter and it could cause an issue.

I suppose maybe letting her watch from the outside would be a good introduction for her. And maybe licky treats while in the pouch. That's sorta how we all start out too~

It may give me more of a chance to explain behaviors or noises, and show her scratches that happen from nails~ And also see how she reacts to seeing them jump all over going crazy~

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1088077
03/21/11 01:01 PM
03/21/11 01:01 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I let the older kids do tent time with me but they have been taught what to expect. The younger kids (5 and under) get to hold gliders during the day when the gliders are at their sleepiest.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1088082
03/21/11 01:17 PM
03/21/11 01:17 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline OP
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
I think daytime is perfect! Actually~ I also think early evening a couple licks of BML too~ as that is usually how we start the evening when they have been in the pouch. They are still in cuddle mode at that time but also interested in the licky treats.

I think this will be a slow process (like could go on this way for over a year) but I really think it is time for her to start learning a little bit of the hands on stuff about them.

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1088293
03/21/11 06:25 PM
03/21/11 06:25 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
I truly believe children can learn kindness responsibility and how to care for others through our animals. I teach my little kids how to be gentle and kind with baby animals and what soft touches are and what kind of touch or behaviors are not acceptible with a baby animal. I don't want my kids thinking the gliders are do not touch animals because how will they ever learn to love them that way. I also think by have little kids help care for them it prevents some of the jealousy they may develop over mom always taking care of the gliders. I have fosterchildren and daycare children and my own 4 yr old and so far we have never had anyone hurt or any of the babies harmed in any way.
ps. I am very very careful with new kids not knowing how they will react until we have enough experience....even then only my own kids get to handle the gliders on their own.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1088419
03/21/11 10:44 PM
03/21/11 10:44 PM
Casper, Wyoming
sphynxie Offline
Glider Guardian
sphynxie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Casper, Wyoming
My son is almost 3 and after the kids are fully bonded I plan on taking him in to tent time. He has always loved animals and has been around all sorts and listens very well. I plan on having him wear a sweater at first and I have already told him about biting and scratching and a possible face hug hehe. He is really good with our cats and there is one he rough houses with but its not a bad thing, they love to rough house and play always have since that cat was a kitten. All depends on the kiddo and the glider, so far my gliders have been very nice and have allowed myself and my son to touch them. I have included him with everything with them. He put the food in their kitchen and puts treats in the little treat bowl and he put a bunch of monkeys in the cage. He also is the one who feeds my cats. We do it together and he fills the food bowl up while I do the water and gag the litter box. I think animals are an important part to growing up and I plan on including him in all aspects of care.

Melonie

:grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo: :plat: :cream:

Re: Children and tent time? [Re: SGQ] #1088425
03/21/11 10:58 PM
03/21/11 10:58 PM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
Everyone has made great points smile my daughter is 2 and she's gone in the room quite a few times with me and gone in the cage a couple times. She really enjoys them but doesn't try to bother them or anything. She points and says "Baby, Cas, Zoey, Eak" and hasn't learned Ezmerelda lol! The joys of a 2 year old!

Anyways once they start showing interest in jumping on her or just showing interest in her in general we usually leave and I'll go back in later once Abby has gone to bed. I worry more about them scaring or hurting her than her hurting them, she doesn't even like to bug my dogs unlike my friend's kids who climb all over her dogs.

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 324 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,684 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024