Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue #1087642
03/20/11 04:54 PM
03/20/11 04:54 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline OP
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Missouri
Wanting to be a rescuer or to help with rescues. Is more than just having the heart and wanting to .There is so much more to it .
Its being fully prepared for any situation that may arise when you take in gliders.From having all the correct supplies for correct diets,
From emergency medical supplies ,rejected joey or handraising joey kits. Its being able to finacially be able to handle any medical emergency that may be there
upon arrival. Alot of people have the heart but are not fully prepared which is not always the best situation for the gliders . We as a community need to take a step back and help those who do truely love their gliders but do not have the experience or knowledge to care properly for them. We should always try and do what we can to help and educate and help give them the knowledge they need to properly care for their gliders. We all were newbies once and we all had the same questions .And some of us were more prepared than others. But none of us were fully prepared. And weather its buying a glider or taking in a rescue you always need to be fully prepared. We always tell those getting into gliders what they should have prepared when purchasing a glider. But we never once take a step back when it comes to rescues and say what you should always have if you are going to become a rescuer or help out when the call for help comes in. But its not different than getting a new joey .Its actually a more fragile situations because alot of rescues that are taken in are emergencies.
When deciding to become a rescuer you should always have on hand
All the supplies for one of the approved glider diets
All the rejected joey or handraising supplies
A full emergency medical kit
A full list of emergency and exotic vets in your area.
A list of exotic vets who will consult
A hospital cage and a incubator for joeys if this is an issue
Extra empty cages incase you have to go pick up any
Exta toys and pouches to provide them when they arrive
Exta wheel to provide them upon arrival .
If you have gliders of your own you should have a emergency vet fund for rescues if deciding to become one.
Off the top of my head if I forgot anything maybe there are others who can add to this .But when volunteering and saying you are willing to help you need to be sure you are fully ready.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087725
03/20/11 08:18 PM
03/20/11 08:18 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
Well said! clap

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087760
03/20/11 09:24 PM
03/20/11 09:24 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

I think with RR, you need the contact number for your pick-up and your drop at minimum. I know Tammy sets that up, and then everyone has the conductor number (her). I think that's the best bet. That way, if there is a break down, it only takes one phone call to let your drop know about it, and then one more call to let everyone else afterward know.

To be involved in rescue, you also need:
phone numbers for people who know how to deal with SM, joey rejection, various injuries, penis & pouch issues, early onset of HLP, vets on your travel if RRing. Especially if you are new to rescue, you're going to see things you have never seen before! Rely on people who have been there to help walk you through it.

Before you rescue make sure SPACE to quaratine new gliders. Make sure you have the TIME to devote to rescues, especially if you have your own pets. You don't need your job, family life, etc. suffering or rescue gliders not beign socialized - they can not move to new homes if they are crabby and scared biters!

It takes a lot of effort and commitment to be a rescue home.

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087769
03/20/11 09:34 PM
03/20/11 09:34 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
As a rescue home you also have to be prepared to keep a glider for the rest of its life, if it is to badly abused to go to a new home.

You have to be prepared for the emotional toll it takes when you get one in that is so bad that the vet cannot save it and it passes in your hands.

You also have to realize that you cannot save every one.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: Feather] #1087772
03/20/11 09:46 PM
03/20/11 09:46 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

First off, let me say that I AGREE with you 100% Tammy! And it's well said. However, I would like to make one comment. Sometime there are those of us who would like to help even though we aren't fully prepared. There are people out there (like me, lol) who are absolutely enraptured with our suggies and would love to 'take on' the world and try to make it a better place for these little guys.

I know I'm not prepared or able to take on a full-scale rescue operation, however, I could help. I might be able to donate a cage, do a leg of a rr, donate pouches or other supplies or even some cash. In other words, I would hope that someone would not be discounted just because they lack preparation or experience. Even us newbies can help a little in a lot of good ways!

These are just my thoughts and I do not intend to contradict - as I said, I fully agree with the original post. And it's a good reminder for everyone! wink

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087781
03/20/11 10:06 PM
03/20/11 10:06 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I'd like to point out, a rescue railroad is different from an emergency rescue.

A rescue railroad, is getting a healthy glider from point A to point E, through points B, C & D.

An emergency rescue, is getting an ill/injured glider from point A to an emergency vet, the fastest route possible, which means not going through points B, C, D & E.

Not only do you have to prepare to keep a glider forever, as Feather pointed out, but sometimes, it's possible for the education of, and reunification with, the original owner/s. In my rescue home, that has never been able to be a possibility, but it would be wonderful if it could be. I think there are several situations, when education is what's needed, rather than just taking possession.

Good, good post, Tammy and very much needed. I've got an article submitted to Eddie for approval, about being a rescue home, but I like the direction you've taken this thread.
thumb

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: ] #1087789
03/20/11 10:20 PM
03/20/11 10:20 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Kali
First off, let me say that I AGREE with you 100% Tammy! And it's well said. However, I would like to make one comment. Sometime there are those of us who would like to help even though we aren't fully prepared. There are people out there (like me, lol) who are absolutely enraptured with our suggies and would love to 'take on' the world and try to make it a better place for these little guys.

I know I'm not prepared or able to take on a full-scale rescue operation, however, I could help. I might be able to donate a cage, do a leg of a rr, donate pouches or other supplies or even some cash. In other words, I would hope that someone would not be discounted just because they lack preparation or experience. Even us newbies can help a little in a lot of good ways!

These are just my thoughts and I do not intend to contradict - as I said, I fully agree with the original post. And it's a good reminder for everyone! wink

Kali, people like you are just as important and valuable as rescue homes! I know several homes who would be thrilled with what you have to offer! You're absolutely right. Donating a pouch or toy to a rescue home, is priceless to the rescuer! It is very costly to be a rescue home so any and all help, is appreciated by most!

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: ] #1087795
03/20/11 10:31 PM
03/20/11 10:31 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline OP
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Missouri

Kali I agree with you anything that can help our babies is a plus .No matter if its helping someone get a glider to someone who can give it more than their owners can .Or simply by giving of supplies that many rescuers are in need of. Weather it be a cage,pouch or some toys .All of it is great when you are taking in gliders in need.Thats not what this post is about its about someone who's thinking of getting into rescueing and weather or not they are finacially able ,physically able or have the avaliable space.All of this comes with being a rescuer. There are some great people who take in dozens of gliders a year. Get them healthy and find them wonderful homes. And it is taxing on them but they do it for the love of these precious babies.
As in emergency situations you have to already be fully prepared for anything .Cause the gliders are usually in danger of dying or losing a limb or just getting worse like a glider whos in the first stages of HLP. You can't depend on someone whos willing to help to have those supplies .You have to have them fully avaliable and be able pick up a glider in a minutes notice and arrive at a vet weather its 8 am in the morning or 12 pm that night. Thats what being a rescuer is .

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087798
03/20/11 10:36 PM
03/20/11 10:36 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

EVERY person who does rescue can use help and support. I am actively involved in German Shepherd rescue and I don't know a single person who does this who doesn't sometimes need crates, dog beds, food, bowls, or other supplies donated from time to time. This does not mean they aren't ready or prepared to do the job. But rescue isn't about ONE person doing the job - it's about a community pulling together to do the right thing for an animal that needs help.

There is so much to rescue! I know the intention of this thread is to help some people realize how much is involved and there are certainly things a rescuer does need to be prepared for. And perhaps I am misunderstanding what you're meaning here. Yes, one does need to consider the well-being of the animal first. I took the start of this thread to be a general informative post so I do apologize if I'm reading too much into this! As I said before, I'm not trying to be contradictory and I do agree with everything in your original post, Tammy. thumb

Last edited by DCMuffin; 03/21/11 12:38 AM. Reason: Edited text
Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087799
03/20/11 10:39 PM
03/20/11 10:39 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: tammyangel

Kali I agree with you anything that can help our babies is a plus .No matter if its helping someone get a glider to someone who can give it more than their owners can .Or simply by giving of supplies that many rescuers are in need of. Weather it be a cage,pouch or some toys .All of it is great when you are taking in gliders in need.Thats not what this post is about its about someone who's thinking of getting into rescueing and weather or not they are finacially able ,physically able or have the avaliable space.All of this comes with being a rescuer. There are some great people who take in dozens of gliders a year. Get them healthy and find them wonderful homes. And it is taxing on them but they do it for the love of these precious babies.
As in emergency situations you have to already be fully prepared for anything .Cause the gliders are usually in danger of dying or losing a limb or just getting worse like a glider whos in the first stages of HLP. You can't depend on someone whos willing to help to have those supplies .You have to have them fully avaliable and be able pick up a glider in a minutes notice and arrive at a vet weather its 8 am in the morning or 12 pm that night. Thats what being a rescuer is .

Ahhh, yes. I understand a bit better. Thanks for that! LoL - I think we 'cross-posted' heehee... wink

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087805
03/20/11 10:57 PM
03/20/11 10:57 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
As a rescuer for many years, I was prepared (cages, pouches toys, food, vets) for what may come. However, those supplies do run out if they are not replaced. Many rescuers send to the new homes the pouches and toys that belong to those gliders. That leaves a void that has to be filled somehow. ANY help from the community to keep "stocked and prepared" is so appreciated.

I can no longer take in gliders due to my health but I find there are still ways I can help. I can sew. Others may be able to donate fleece. Between us, we can supply pouches. (just an example)

One of the most important things I feel each rescuer MUST know is their limit. It is so hard to say no but sometimes you may have to. Whether that be because you don't have the experience (say in a SM case) or you have some upcoming commitments that will need your time and attention or you are just plain FULL and don't have room.

Networking with other rescuers is a huge benefit. You might not be in the position to help "that" glider but you might be able to contact someone that does.

Also, know when it is a "rescue" situation and not just a "rehome" situation. Sometimes in rehomes, where they are at is ok UNTIL a new home can be found so that the glider isn't moved from home to home to home before reaching the final destination. Sometimes you can set things in motion where the "rehome" goes from it's current home directly to the new home. That is better for the glider and the "rescuer".

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: Dancing] #1087808
03/20/11 11:05 PM
03/20/11 11:05 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
As a rescuer for many years, I was prepared (cages, pouches toys, food, vets) for what may come. However, those supplies do run out if they are not replaced. Many rescuers send to the new homes the pouches and toys that belong to those gliders. That leaves a void that has to be filled somehow. ANY help from the community to keep "stocked and prepared" is so appreciated.

I can no longer take in gliders due to my health but I find there are still ways I can help. I can sew. Others may be able to donate fleece. Between us, we can supply pouches. (just an example)

One of the most important things I feel each rescuer MUST know is their limit. It is so hard to say no but sometimes you may have to. Whether that be because you don't have the experience (say in a SM case) or you have some upcoming commitments that will need your time and attention or you are just plain FULL and don't have room.

Networking with other rescuers is a huge benefit. You might not be in the position to help "that" glider but you might be able to contact someone that does.

Also, know when it is a "rescue" situation and not just a "rehome" situation. Sometimes in rehomes, where they are at is ok UNTIL a new home can be found so that the glider isn't moved from home to home to home before reaching the final destination. Sometimes you can set things in motion where the "rehome" goes from it's current home directly to the new home. That is better for the glider and the "rescuer".

agree thumb

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: Dancing] #1087811
03/20/11 11:08 PM
03/20/11 11:08 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: Dancing

clap thumb clap

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1087868
03/21/11 12:44 AM
03/21/11 12:44 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Let me take this opportunity to remind everyone about Rule #4. Please continue to keep this thread on track. We will not tolerate any negative posts in the thread. If we see this go in a downward path, we will lock it and promptly remove it from the board.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: GC Rule #4
GliderCENTRAL is a family oriented "G" rated board. Be polite, courteous and respectful to other board members at all times. This means illegal substances, illegal activities, flaming, sexually explicit subjects, cursing, spamming, harassing, policing, diet bashing, and abusive or negative personal posts are not allowed. Posts and sometimes entire topics that contain such content will be removed, and the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Abuse, flaming or inappropriate comments directed toward GliderCENTRAL, its Moderators and Administrators, or failure to comply with the direction of a Moderator or Administrator, the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Please keep any personal matters off the board. Take it to email or pm. Please keep in mind that board rules do apply when using the PM feature. Since we are a G rated board, the decision has been made not to allow any web blog links like below due to non G rated material on them.

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1088254
03/21/11 05:33 PM
03/21/11 05:33 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline OP
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Missouri
There is also something most rescuers and even glider owners forget when they are traveling with their gliders. That is a list of vets for that state they are visiting that are qualified to take care of gliders .And also emergency vets who can after hours. I just had an emergency just like this with one of our newly rehomed rescues. The parents went to another state due to their job and took the gliders with them. But did not know of any vets. So this is another thing that is a must for us to have.

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1088281
03/21/11 06:04 PM
03/21/11 06:04 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Great point, Tammy. I do this each time we travel with our monkeys. We have several glider vets listed when we go to Raleigh, along with emergency vet clinics should the need arise.

Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: tammyangel] #1088340
03/21/11 07:52 PM
03/21/11 07:52 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
There is additional information that those who feel they want to become a glider rescue should consider posted here:

http://sesg.southeastcares.org/Rescue.html

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: IslandGliders] #1088441
03/21/11 11:07 PM
03/21/11 11:07 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Originally Posted By: IslandGliders
Well said! clap

thumb

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: Being fully prepared if you decide to help rescue [Re: Meg_n_Von] #1088622
03/22/11 10:43 AM
03/22/11 10:43 AM
Ft Worth Texas
A
Amy1706 Offline
Out of Pouch
Amy1706  Offline
Out of Pouch
A

Ft Worth Texas
Being a rescuer myself I know that the #1 rule is to get these gliders to my vet asap along with getting them on a heathy diet and look at their cage and see if they need a new one and that happens most of the time I also know to have pouches and toys on hand to give them these are special gliders who most of the time have been mistreated their entire lives.
I also would love to be able to work with the owner and educate them enough to give the gliders back after they are healthy I would never keep their gliders if they wanted them back and I wont lie to them my promises are solid I dont lie to them. but I am in this for the gliders 100% I will always do what is best for my gliders or any rescues that I get. I go by my gut feeling if I am suspose to pass them to someone else and I feel they NEED to stay with me that is where they will stay.

Tammy you are the railroad queen and the conducter but I will do what is best for the gliders even if it is not listening to what you tell me. once they are in my care I am the one who decides what happens next.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024