Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Does anyone have experience with Giardia? #1089775
03/24/11 02:52 PM
03/24/11 02:52 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

If so would you mind giving me a call..

I am not going to be around to check the boards for a little while and I could use some support.. I think my babies have

Heather

Last edited by SuggieMomma; 03/24/11 10:46 PM.
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089777
03/24/11 02:56 PM
03/24/11 02:56 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

I just wanted to add this because I know you guys (I am one of you guys) and I didn't want you to freak out and say get em to the vet right away... (I thought of this after I posted)

They have already seen the vet today we are just waiting on test results and I have never had a sick glider so Id just like some back-up!

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089905
03/24/11 07:35 PM
03/24/11 07:35 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

I actually got to see the protozoa under the microscope... totally disgusting.. cysts and octopus looking creepies sooooo nasty!

So it was a positive result.. at least it is easy to treat.

I am extending my quarantine time to six weeks for new gliders and getting a set of tent/toys per cage instead of sharing.. I never expected this, I guess we never do.

Last edited by SuggieMomma; 03/24/11 07:37 PM.
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089915
03/24/11 08:14 PM
03/24/11 08:14 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Quote:

So it was a positive result.. at least it is easy to treat.

Really? Last time I checked it was a pretty lengthy process to make sure your gliders are completely clear of Giardia. What did your vet prescribe and how are you supposed to use the meds?

You might want to re-think that 6 weeks. It could be much longer. You also need to clean everything daily from what I have read with a bleach solution.

Please fill us in on what your vet told you. So sorry to hear your gliders have it! frown

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089935
03/24/11 08:42 PM
03/24/11 08:42 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

Oh I meant 6 weeks before introducing new gliders to the glider room, not treatment time.

So no one shares something like this, because there are no real signs until its too late and it is NOT a test done in a normal fecal.They had 2 normal fecals done one from the breeder and one from my vet when I brought them home, and they look and act like very healthy little joeys.

The vet sounded confident that it would be gone in 10 days and she is a very glider experienced vet.

The rx was for Metronidazole for 10 days. Retest for the parasite in two weeks and it should be gone.

Yep, everything is going through multiple bleaching's and I had to toss some toys and items that I cant sanitize.

Last edited by sugarlope; 03/24/11 09:39 PM. Reason: edited text
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089940
03/24/11 08:52 PM
03/24/11 08:52 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

If anyone has experience with Giardia, I would love to hear how it turned out and what you did, how long it took to treat and all that.

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089942
03/24/11 08:55 PM
03/24/11 08:55 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
I really hope it works! That stuff can't be fun to deal with!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089943
03/24/11 08:57 PM
03/24/11 08:57 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Giardia is one of the harder parasites to get rid of.

Here's some links from The Sweet Spot that might be of assistance...

http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/t40-giardia

http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/t295-proper-protocol-to-effectively-treat-a-parasite-infestation -- (this link says "except giardia" but it will give you an idea of the cleaning process).

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089962
03/24/11 09:51 PM
03/24/11 09:51 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Giardia can be difficult to get rid of. To be sure you are actually rid of it you need to test, retest, and retest again. A fecal float/smear will not always catch it, nor will a SNAP test 100% of the time. Giardia sheds cysts on a cycle, so a negative does not mean the glider is completely clear. If you have any other health problems in the glider(s), Giardia can be much more difficult to clear up, not to mention allergies/sensitivities to Flagyl.

Some people have had success using a combination of medications, others have not. Bleach does not kill Giardia cysts, so if you have access to a steamer, this will be your best option for sterilization.

There are many, many threads in GC's Health & Hygiene 101 subforum on Parasiteshere with personal experiences. Good luck, I hope this clears up quickly for you.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089977
03/24/11 10:45 PM
03/24/11 10:45 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

Thanks for the advise I do have a steamer.

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1089985
03/24/11 11:17 PM
03/24/11 11:17 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Good luck with getting rid of it, it can be a huge pain in the butt to get rid of, I've heard of it taking a month or two even...

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090014
03/25/11 12:21 AM
03/25/11 12:21 AM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

If it takes long then it takes long... Nothing I can do but fight for my gliders.

Thanks for all your support and responses, looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090237
03/25/11 03:25 PM
03/25/11 03:25 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
No one is suggesting that you are taking this lightly. Many of us have either experienced or heard the long stories about battling Giardia, we are just trying to be helpful. There are certainly people who have treated Giardia once and were done. We just want you to be prepared for the possibility. thumb

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090243
03/25/11 04:10 PM
03/25/11 04:10 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
S
sunjana1 Offline
Glider Guardian
sunjana1  Offline
Glider Guardian
S

Nova Scotia, Canada
I recently posted some info in another thread you might find helpful and relevant.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...NAP#Post1085628

Jana
:wfb: - Tim
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090558
03/26/11 12:51 PM
03/26/11 12:51 PM
Cleveland OH
rosiethunder Offline
Out of Pouch
rosiethunder  Offline
Out of Pouch

Cleveland OH
I had to take my Piper to the vet a few days after I first got her about four or five years ago . I had to give her meds with a syringe for a pretty long time. The vet gave me double the meds so I could treat Suge as well even though he had no symptoms just in case. She had me give her extra mealies too... she started feeling better with in a few days. The vet suggested that the most likely way she had contracted it was from either dirty water at the breeder or coming in contact with another glider that had it, from drinking dirty water. It is Highly contagious, so be careful. I almost lost Piper to it. But she has never had any other symptoms of it. The vet did tell me it can sometimes lie dormant and that stress will manifest it too...,

Suggie-Mamma to Suge Knight, H
ugh and PJ ! Mutt-Mamma to
Ashytn....

And now, with a newborn skin baby smile

<3 RIP Leonidas and Piper </3
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090786
03/26/11 10:41 PM
03/26/11 10:41 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

Thanks everyone for the support!

I finally got my cleaning done for today. (6hours of holding the steamer hand and micro-cleaning!)

I also made a bunch of big red pouches and vines (My attempt at biohazard humor) that I can trade everyday and throw out every week.

Many of you probably wont agree with me on this but I took out the wheels from the gliders confirmed to have the parasite. I have stealth wheels and the micro-cleaning between each grid of track is almost impossible and since it is reinfected from their poo, it isn't worth the risk to me.

So I have the giardia under isolation to the best of my ability and if I haven't contacted you, then none of the gliders I received from you are affected.

I am watching everyone very closely and doing the full daily clean out, all the gliders are acting fine still and the ones that initially had it are gaining their weight back.

Everyone's eating and drinking wonderfully as well. I have added extra mealies, yogurt (the ones with live cultures that help kill this parasite) and glideraid for everyone daily.

Does anyone have other ideas or advise to help?

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090856
03/27/11 01:08 AM
03/27/11 01:08 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I think taking out the wheels is completely fine. You want to reduce the likelihood of reinfection and leaving wheels and difficult to clean toys in their cage just makes it less likely that you are going to get everything clean. thumb

~Gretchen

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: sugarlope] #1090858
03/27/11 01:18 AM
03/27/11 01:18 AM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: sugarlope
No one is suggesting that you are taking this lightly. Many of us have either experienced or heard the long stories about battling Giardia, we are just trying to be helpful. There are certainly people who have treated Giardia once and were done. We just want you to be prepared for the possibility. thumb

Thanks for your concern. I am not defensive at all, in fact I am very grateful for and open minded to any advise I can get.

I am just stressed about it, these are my fur babies you know.
This is all very new to me. I have never had any pet with a parasite especially a whopper like this one. >< It is a very touchy subject and it is hard to find support because many who have faced it don't want to get a bad rap. Truthfully, there is usually nothing we could do/have done to prevent it. Both the breeder and I did everything by the book and here it is!

I edited my spelling and I must have went a bit too far and erased part of my first post including my phone # which is (970)690- 3154 call/text.

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090860
03/27/11 01:26 AM
03/27/11 01:26 AM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

Oh another thing I have learned, is that bleach can kill giardia but it takes 45 mins to an hour fully emerged in a diluted 4/1 solution. If you just wipe or spray with bleach it will not kill it! Just in case anyone else facing this is watching this thread.

My source is my county water department.

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1090965
03/27/11 10:36 AM
03/27/11 10:36 AM
Casper, Wyoming
sphynxie Offline
Glider Guardian
sphynxie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Casper, Wyoming
When my cats had it I used bleach and something called vet 10 (maybe its a vet cleaner, and its vet and then a number I may be lying about the 10 grin ) that I got from my vet, I only had to treat my cats one time.

ETA: I for some reason think you are supposed to use cleaner with quaternary ammonium?

Last edited by sphynxie; 03/27/11 10:39 AM.

Melonie

:grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo: :plat: :cream:

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1091027
03/27/11 01:58 PM
03/27/11 01:58 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
The only thing I can add to this, to make your life a little bit easier, is to use a hospital cage. When I was dealing with Giardia for my little rescues, I made up two hospital cages that were a LOT easier to clean, and took less of my time. (since you have to do it twice a day!)

I also did a thorough cleaning of their everyday cages so that when they were all done, they had a nice clean, germ free place to go. thumb

Last, but not least, I made a third hospital cage that I could switch out, while really soaking/cleaning the first... this made life easier on them, and on me.

Hope this helps. sorry you have to deal with this, it is my worst nightmare! tounge hug2

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1091047
03/27/11 02:37 PM
03/27/11 02:37 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
Originally Posted By: SuggieMomma
Many of you probably wont agree with me on this but I took out the wheels from the gliders confirmed to have the parasite. I have stealth wheels and the micro-cleaning between each grid of track is almost impossible and since it is reinfected from their poo, it isn't worth the risk to me.

I agree with you taking out the wheels. Not because they were hard to clean but because the runny poo could be slung anywhere. That could cause a health hazard for everyone in the home.

Please be sure after handling the gliders that you wash your hands. It would also be a good idea to change your clothes. Putting your clothes in the washer not the hamper. That way no one has to handle the clothes a second time.
:gluck:

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1091068
03/27/11 03:06 PM
03/27/11 03:06 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
I wish you the best of luck!! Truly~
When my dogs got giardia it was a particularly resistent strain. I had to steam clean the carpets daily and use bleach on tons of stuff... and I had to toss a lot of stuff.

My source was the neighbor kids playing with my dogs~ decided to give them ditch water instead of clean water. ugh... It was a year long battle with our older dog and 3 treatments for our other dog who was a puppy at the time. My research turned up that it can be hard to kill it all in one treatment. (I would even talk to the vet about a 14 day course instead of 10~? I don't know if that is a problem with suggies or not? but that is what finally helped with our dog was a longer treatment.)

I am wondering~~ would making a ton of no sew pouches so there is constantly new pouches be helpful?

I would possibly even be afraid of using the same pouches, hammocks... and so on again. Is there a way to clean that stuff enough that it can be reused or does it need to be tossed?

Again~ I wish you the best of luck here!

The hospital cage is a great idea. You could fill the tub with hot water and bleach and turn the cage every 45 minutes to soak the other side.

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: SGQ] #1091135
03/27/11 04:22 PM
03/27/11 04:22 PM
Wyoming
tbull Offline
Glider Addict
tbull  Offline
Glider Addict

Wyoming
I'm confused. If you can stop yourself from getting it, from washing your hands well with hot water and soap, and your clothes in the washer, why do you have to soak everything else in bleach for 45 minutes?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am alittle light headed from the fumes of all the bleach in my bathroom. Spraying cleaner, then scrubbing, rinsing well, then bleaching, then rinsing several times, then steaming cages is about to kill me! ( also soaking wheels & hard toys in bleach buckets for an hour each )

T~
www.lovegliders.com

** Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for
you are crunchy and taste good with catsup **

*Proud to forever be a Boo-Boo and BJ Fan!*

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: tbull] #1091140
03/27/11 04:25 PM
03/27/11 04:25 PM
Wyoming
tbull Offline
Glider Addict
tbull  Offline
Glider Addict

Wyoming
Oh yeah, I found an article on a dog breeding site about a vacine for giardia called, "Giardia Vax" It was a beagle site and recommended getting all puppies vacinated with it to stop them from getting giardia. Anyone heard of it and if it would help with suggies? I know my vet has used a dog antibiodic injection for my suggies with any wound or UTI.

T~
www.lovegliders.com

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1091143
03/27/11 04:26 PM
03/27/11 04:26 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
S
sunjana1 Offline
Glider Guardian
sunjana1  Offline
Glider Guardian
S

Nova Scotia, Canada
The Giardia vaccine I'm sorry to say is [censored].

Jana
:wfb: - Tim
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: sunjana1] #1091149
03/27/11 04:30 PM
03/27/11 04:30 PM
Wyoming
tbull Offline
Glider Addict
tbull  Offline
Glider Addict

Wyoming
Well that bites. Wishfull thinking. cry

T~
www.lovegliders.com

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1091193
03/27/11 05:34 PM
03/27/11 05:34 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
My dogs have been given the giardia vaccine. The vet told us all it does it helps with symptoms when/if they get it again. So basically all it does is helps them not have *as bad* of discomfort, diarrhea, vomitting.. but it doesn't actually prevent them from getting it.

What a waste~ It probably shouldn't be called a vaccine in that case.

I have no idea how washing hands and clothes is enough but bleach needs used for everything else.. I threw away a lot of stuff, including dogs beds and *anything* they laid on or came in contact with fecal matter. As for washing hands.. I wore gloves and then washed my hands as well..
I was afraid of just that~ that hand washing and clothes washing not being enough..

We also used stuff in our yard to basically kill the ground.. (you can't imagine how ugly and bare our yard looks now 3 years later) but we did everything to prevent reinfection.

Giardia is a tricky one. It can survive in your yard in the snow even~ and even when exposed to high temps..

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1091216
03/27/11 06:06 PM
03/27/11 06:06 PM

S
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
SuggieMomma
Unregistered
S

Everyone has such different opinions about giardia. Everything from every species has it's own strand to what kills it. My vet is real confident that it won't take more then two 10 day rounds if even that. My babies poo is normal now and I've read everything from after three days medicated your safe from further contamination to they can be contaminated for months years... Ever!

Bleach kills it... Bleach doesn't ... Everyone/thing/pet can get it... Strands are interspecies only...

Over 3 vet clinics with 3-5 vets each and not one had the same opinion!

The good news is we caught it and of all these stories it did get cured and I haven't heard any fatalities over it.

I wish there was more concrete info I'm getting dizzy!

Their is no studies or proof for any of this, so I am gearing for the long road and hoping for the easy street.

Re: Does anyone have experience with Giardia? [Re: ] #1091224
03/27/11 06:20 PM
03/27/11 06:20 PM
Casper, Wyoming
sphynxie Offline
Glider Guardian
sphynxie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Casper, Wyoming
There are also studies that show that humans who have been infected then tested a year later still tested posted with no symptoms, making them asystematic carriers, which a lot of people say there is no such thing!

Melonie

:grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo: :plat: :cream:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024