Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice #1094999
04/04/11 01:43 AM
04/04/11 01:43 AM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline OP
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline OP
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
I'm new here and I would like to hear some views on the current pellet diets vs. something like the blended diet (read it and it is very good).

I've been feeding Exotic Nutrition pellet and vitamin and calcium supplement, with vegetables and fruit, and snacks of dried fruit (during the day), occasional treats of mealies in acacia gum, fruit juice, yogurt, boiled chicken, boiled egg, and gliderade. I've fed this diet since I first got my gliders and they seem to do well on it.

I think the nutritional value of this pellet brand is good, but I'm wondering if the pellets as their main source of protein and nutrients isn't perhaps too hard on their mouths? I know a certain amount is good for scraping tartar and keeping the teeth clean.

Any thoughts, any insights, any experiences bad/good with pellets?

Thanks!

Diane

Last edited by DianeR; 04/04/11 01:45 AM.
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095002
04/04/11 02:38 AM
04/04/11 02:38 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

As you can see on the linked chart http://www.sweet-sugar-gliders.com/Pellet%20Food%20Analysis%20-%20Quick%20View.pdf
Pellets are nothing but fillers. They need a more balanced diet with protein, calcium, and a good ratio of calcium (2) to phosphorus (1).
Pellets tend to offer a 1:1 ratio or more negative, like 1:2 or more.
Blended, by Candy, is a great diet, but there are a lot of other great diets too. Have you read up on those?

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: ] #1095022
04/04/11 04:01 AM
04/04/11 04:01 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Megs

Pellets tend to offer a 1:1 ratio or more negative, like 1:2 or more.
Blended, by Candy, is a great diet, but there are a lot of other great diets too. Have you read up on those?

While I dont advocate a solely pelleted diet. I tend to disagree that MOST pellets are a LESS than 1:1 ratio. Every pellet diet whether its for gliders or cats or dogs that I have contacted has been at least 1:1. While "kibbles" are not the best diet for ANY animal and leave much lacking in the way of nutrition, pet food manufacturers do understand the need to balance calcium and phosphorous.

I personally do not care for the exotic nutrition pellets. There are "better" ones out there (in my humble opinion)

But for the original question:
diet is THE largest area of debate in sugar glider care. I personally think that pellets are fine as a SMALL part of a balanced diet.

As for the Blended diet. I dont use it, and so have no practical experience for you.

added: I wouldnt rely on the pellets for the main source of protein and such, and I also do not beleive that they are too "hard" on the mouth.

Last edited by JillMarie; 04/04/11 04:02 AM.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095025
04/04/11 04:35 AM
04/04/11 04:35 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I did not mean most were 1:2 or thereabouts. I meant they tend to be between 1:1-1:2 in my research.

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095029
04/04/11 06:56 AM
04/04/11 06:56 AM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline OP
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline OP
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
I have been reading up on the various diets and I ran across a couple of recent studies on nutritional needs of sugar gliders. That is what got me really looking at what I'm feeding my dolls.

So much more needs to be done to study their needs, and a lot of that is being done now it looks like. But what has been identified as problems are the following:

It looks like all the commercial diets are way over the top on content of iron, protein, calcium, Vitamin C and Vitamin D.

According to the studies the Calcium should be 0.5-1% by dry weight and the Phosphorus should be 0.2-0.5% by dry weight. The accepted ratios are between 1:1 and 2:1. Many diets have the calcium ratio at 6 or 7 to 1 or even higher. That is really bad for the kidneys.

The protein for adult, non-lactating gliders should be no more that 250 mg per day for an average size glider, and no more than 1000 mg (1g) per day for lactating females. Most commercial blends have at least 4 times too much protein. That can cause kidney and liver failure.

Gliders make their own Vitamin C, the same way cats do and don't need supplementation. Extra vitamin C can lead to iron storage disease problems and inability to absorb Calcium.

They may not need supplementation with Vitamin D at all and that is an area that is being looked into now.

And it just goes on and on. After reading all of it I'm inclined to drop the pellets and go with one of the custom diets, only I'm concerned that even these diets may be too high in protein.

And then there is the issue of glider gut health. They have a very large cecum which is a large specialized pouch in the intestine used for digestion of acacia gum in their natural habitat. The researchers are pretty confident that the gut flora that helps break down the gum sugars are very beneficial to the glider's overall health, and so gums should be a large part of the domestic diet, just as they are in the wild.

Meh... I have my homework to do I see.

Oh... here are some links:
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/Sugar-Glider-Diet-Study.pdf
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vet...e/detail/628666

Last edited by DianeR; 04/04/11 07:15 AM.
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095043
04/04/11 08:39 AM
04/04/11 08:39 AM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
I see two paragraphs that sum up the findings, copied below from the article on veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com:

Pg 3
Sugar gliders do not require particularly high-protein diets, and excessive protein may, in fact, be detrimental to overall health; refining amino acid balance and overall level is critical for understanding and providing optimal protein nutrition. In this respect, use of a properly balanced dry or canned commercial product that also includes vitamins and minerals essential for other omnivorous species (ie, dogs or primates) is superior to protein sources comprised of unsupplemented animal products, such as meat, eggs, and insects.

Pg 5
If animals are particularly active or are at increased physiologic stages (growth, reproduction), increase the portion of commercial product, rather than the produce, up to one-part dry or semi-moist to one-part produce. If the basal diet is nutritionally complete and consumed in these proportions, there should be little need for additional supplementation. All foods should be high quality; consumption of preferred food items (insects, fruits) should be closely monitored and restricted, such that consumption of balanced calories from the commercial portion of the diet is assured.

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095108
04/04/11 11:05 AM
04/04/11 11:05 AM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

When you say "most diets" have a calcium ratio as high or 6 or 7, I am a bit confused. To my knowledge, BML has the highest calcium content and it balances out with the other food portions of vegetables and fruits given to be an overall 2:1 ratio.

When you say blended diet, are you referring to Candy Otte's Blended, or are you speaking in general terms of all diets mixed at home rather than a commercial product?

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: ] #1095158
04/04/11 12:54 PM
04/04/11 12:54 PM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline OP
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline OP
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
I mean commercial pelleted blends, and specialized recipes. BML has Calcium to phosphorus at almost 5:1, for example. And then if these are supplemented with extra calcium... oy. Its pretty easy to overdo the calcium when trying to err on the side of caution because of HLP.

And I'm a little ticked at the glider vitamins that are supposed to have a little sprinkled on every other day or so. Gliders vitamin and mineral needs are also low and it is really easy to mega dose these little guys. How much is "a little?"

In the wild these fellas are designed to forage a lot. They spend most of one portion of the year eating mostly saps, lerps, mana, nectar, flowers, seasonal fruit, and gum, and even when insects are extremely plentiful they won't eat them. Then they will switch to add a lot of insects to their diet during their breeding and rearing season to get the extra protein they need for rearing joeys. Their digestive systems are specialized with a very short intestine and large cecum, and their caloric needs are low. In the wild gums that are hard to digest provide all the calcium they need. These are digested in the cecum.

All of our diets, including the BML, HPW, blended diets, and pellets are extremely easy to digest and very nutritious. And they all have higher protein and iron than the gliders actually need. So we get gliders with potential iron storage disease, liver failure, kidney failure, etc., and obesity if the portions are not tightly controlled.

I may be reading too much into the literature, but all I see is a huge need to more fully understand the specific amino acid needs, the correct vitamin/mineral needs,the correct caloric intake needs, etc. I do agree with the conclusions of the one paper that we also need to find convenient ways to incorporate more gum into the diet, since this is their main staple in the wild and what their systems are designed to digest.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir. We all love our gliders so much and we all want them to be as healthy as possible. So, please forgive me if I seem a little... off. I don't mean to be. I'm just publicly kicking myself for feeding pellets. The specific pellet I've been feeding is 41% protein! And this pellet blend is called premium complete. At least I do feed it with fruits/vegetables, and other foodstuffs. But if someone were to feed this exclusively they would definitely see problems.

I wish I had found this forum a long time ago.

Diane

Last edited by DianeR; 04/04/11 02:15 PM.
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095281
04/04/11 05:48 PM
04/04/11 05:48 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Diane,

If you look at the fruits and veggies that are supposed to be fed with BML, you'll see that phosphorous content in them balances out that high initial Ca:Ph ratio and brings it down to 2:1, which is the recommended balance.

HPW, which I feed, is sorta like the opposite of BML. HPW, the Original recipe, starts with a 1:1 ratio. You then would feed fruits and veggies higher in calcium to bring it up to 2:1. The new HPW diets, HPW Plus and HPW Complete, start with a 2:1 ratio in the recipe itself and then you have a greater freedom with what fruits and veggies you feed, although the overall balance should still be 2:1.

One of the big reasons I don't like pellet diets is because pellet don't allow gliders to do what they naturally would in the wild. They are sap suckers, and derive most of their nutrition from sucking the liquid and nutrients out of the foods they eat. Pellets do not allow that sucking behavior because they're dry. I think pellets as a small snack during the day is fine, but overall they do not provide what gliders need and do not allow their natural feeding behavior to occur. JMO.....

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095284
04/04/11 05:55 PM
04/04/11 05:55 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Diane, am loving this thread. I love diet discussions and you see some of the same things I see in our glider diets.

^website link wink

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095308
04/04/11 06:38 PM
04/04/11 06:38 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Diane, I agree that we need to make sure our glider have something in their diets that stimulates their cecum. My vet is a proponent of using acacia gum to facilitate this!
I love what you are posting!

As far as glider diet goes, yes, they are sap suckers but they eat insects too. I like them to have a nectar component in the diet I feed them but I do offer the pellet for the nutrition that they require.

Breeding gliders need more calcium and protein than the pet gliders. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration as well. agree

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095415
04/04/11 09:35 PM
04/04/11 09:35 PM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline OP
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline OP
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
Thank you, thank you all for the positive feedback.

Angelic, do you have a link to the new HPW diet?

Yes, breeding mothers and growing joeys need about quadruple the nutrients of adult males and non-breeding females.

I'm obsessed now and I'm searching through all of the scientific journals I can find online about glider gut microflora (my field) and nutrition requirements in the wild populations. Gum without the right microflora would not be good. In the wild these beautiful animals get a lot of their protein from pollen and from nitrogen recovery in the cecum and almost all of their calcium from the gums.

But without the correct bacteria and yeasts that isn't possible. If anyone knows of any studies done that elucidate what exactly comprises the normal microflora of native gliders, please point me in the right direction.

I'm also looking at their main source of nectar and what its components are. Nectar components include amino acids, proteins, lipids, antioxidants (tocopherols), phenolics, alkaloids, and ions (salts), but are mainly sugars. The main source of nectar for gliders is eucalyptus, acacia, dryandra,and banksia. These blooms have large cup shaped inflorescences, produce copious amounts of pollen and copious amounts of nectar for their small marsupial polinators. The nectars' main components are sucrose, fructose, and glucose in balanced proportion.

Anyone with specific information on composition of nectars of any of these blossoms? I'll keep looking.

Diane

Last edited by DianeR; 04/04/11 09:54 PM.
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095418
04/04/11 09:44 PM
04/04/11 09:44 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

HPW Plus and Complete

Here is the link where you can read up and purchase the HPW Plus and Complete.

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095422
04/04/11 09:55 PM
04/04/11 09:55 PM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline OP
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline OP
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
Thanks!

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1095960
04/05/11 11:03 PM
04/05/11 11:03 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Diane,
Sorry I was so late in getting back to this thread, thank you Stephanie for getting that website for me in my absence :), much appreciated!

Really interesting info you are providing, Diane! I'd be interested to hear if you find anything on the composition of those nectars, if you come across it smile

Jess

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1096186
04/06/11 11:23 AM
04/06/11 11:23 AM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
I've seen the statement "gliders are sap suckers" put forth around different places on the web, and wonder if this is being misinterpreted. Sure, they tend to suck the juices and spit out the rest with lots of different foods.

But Gliders are classified as omnivores by nutritionists for a good reason. For example, in the wild, they eat baby birds. And lots of folks have seen their gliders completely devour a pinkie mouse, not just suck the juices out of it.

So, perhaps what people believe about glider feeding habits depends on what they feed them - if you only ever feed them "sap sucker" kind of food, that's all you see for behavior. And then tend to believe "sucking" is the only feeding behavior and those foods are the only foods gliders eat.

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1096350
04/06/11 07:01 PM
04/06/11 07:01 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Diane,
Lovin' this! Love love love this stuff.
If you do come across any nutritional info on acacia gum too, please please please share!

^website link wink

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1096463
04/07/11 02:11 AM
04/07/11 02:11 AM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Jimbo,

I realize that gliders are omnivores and eat things like bugs with an exoskeleton for example, so I know they do eat things that make them "crunch" with their teeth. For me, I just believe that pellets as a STAPLE do not provide them with the ability to "suck" juices out of stuff, nor are they nutritionally adequate in my view....

I make sure to give my gliders crunchy stuff too to make their jaws work for exercise and also to help keep them gums healthy. I just do not advocate pellets as a STAPLE for that reason; rather, leaving them in there as a treat or for during the day in case they wake up and are hungry is totally fine.

Jess

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1096474
04/07/11 02:28 AM
04/07/11 02:28 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I also want to throw out there, as a reminder, that in the wild, gliders don't live to be nearly as those in captivity, and cared for properly, live.
Also, LOVE this thread. Just LOVE IT!
Aaaand... I too would like to see what/if you find anything on acacia gum. smile

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: ] #1096482
04/07/11 03:23 AM
04/07/11 03:23 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I also want to throw out there, as a reminder, that in the wild, gliders don't live to be nearly as those in captivity, and cared for properly, live.
Also, LOVE this thread. Just LOVE IT!
Aaaand... I too would like to see what/if you find anything on acacia gum. smile

True, but thats because they most likely get eaten by something else...

While I am not against pellets, I also feel pellets should have a SMALL part in the diet...feel like I've said that already...did I?

^website link wink

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1096505
04/07/11 08:27 AM
04/07/11 08:27 AM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
JillMarie, you did. You and Jess (and many others) disagree with the conclusion published in a leading veterinary journal that at least 1/3 of a glider diet should be a commercial food specifically designed for omnivores. And that for young and breeding gliders, this percentage should be raised to 50% to ensure all the essential micro-nutrients are always available.

I'm completely clear on that!

So I guess the logical conclusion is if someone believes pellets should only be a *small* part of the diet, then all the nutrients required from the commercial diet, consumed in the correct balance, are coming from various mixes of veggies, fruit, applesauce, yogurt, honey, cereal, insects, and a vitamin sprinkle.

It's clear many folks believe this, and that's OK with me. At the same time, I think people really should consider toning down the anti-pellet rap in light of what this article is saying.

Can't we all just get along?

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: ] #1096516
04/07/11 09:02 AM
04/07/11 09:02 AM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia

What the official AVERAGE lifespan is of a glider in captivity?? Just because gliders can live up to 15 years, doesn't mean this is the norm or even often seen( think of the many tens of thousands of gliders in the US and then count off how many gliders that have reached 15 years of age - the ratios don't weigh towards a good long life average!) I would say a great majority of captive gliders die reasonably young also and certainly a big ratio due to dietary issues. Don't forget whilst there are many diet concious forum folk here, there are a lot more out there that don't have a clue and still feed shocking diets as they simply don't know any better.

Gliders in the wild can live up to 15 years too but again this is not the norm or expected. However, unless there is habitat loss or a severe drought which will affect the wild glider from getting food, diet is way down the list of why a wild glider could die young. Cat attacks are the main reason wild gliders die before they should. There are also car accidents, natural predators etc but again these don't stem from diet issues.

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1096669
04/07/11 05:19 PM
04/07/11 05:19 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Jimbo, I like your comments, but please dont assume anything. I never said that I disagee with any "published articles" as you state. Infact I read them often and consider them alot when I think about diets and such. In 3 papers there was mention of using maple syrup in fact. Yet many disagree with its use. I also have no problem with the occasional piece of catfood. However, which one?

I do say a small part, but I have never ever recommended HOW MUCH that part is. Whether it is half, a third, or whatever, is up to each owner to decide for themselves. I try not to recommend EXACTLY how much to use, as there are just way to many variables. If they use a pellet, which one are they using? There are many "pellets" out there, and I am sure some are fine and some are junk. Just like with catfood. So unless I know what pellet they are using, what "glider staple" they are using, what treats, what fruits blah blah blah blah, it is safer saying small part, as all the "parts" they feed work together to make the diet being fed a good one or a bad one.

added: if you read "my diet" there are basically 3 bowls of food. A rough third of that is a pellet by the way.

Last edited by JillMarie; 04/07/11 05:21 PM.

^website link wink

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1096951
04/08/11 02:29 AM
04/08/11 02:29 AM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Jimbo,

I enjoy talking with you and hearing your views, you have many intelligent points! smile

I have to say...why does it have to be a commercially-made diet? I realize the answer to that probably has to do with the research and analyses that have gone into the GOOD commercial pellet diets. They have been carefully constructed in such a way by scientists and nutrtionists and the like who really know what they're doing. I can respect that.

However, to play devil's advocate, I feed HPW Complete currently. Peggy has developed this diet with the help of a vet, nutritionists, scientists, and a manufacturing company. In my view, that's the same process that any of those GOOD pellet diets go through, so why does the journal say it has to be a commercial diet that's available in stores??

Also, it should be noted that alot of the vitamins and nutrients come from the STAPLE portion of the diet, i.e. HPW, and then it works in combination with the fruits, veggies, bugs, supplements etc....you had stated that, "all the nutrients required from the commercial diet, consumed in the correct balance, are coming from various mixes of veggies, fruit, applesauce, yogurt, honey, cereal, insects, and a vitamin sprinkle"....you didn't mention a staple in that, which is a big part of the diet and where lots of nutrition come from! smile

Once again Jimbo, I think you're very cool to talk to. You make very educated rational points, and it's refreshing to read them! I look forward to hearing more from you smile

Jess

Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1097057
04/08/11 10:56 AM
04/08/11 10:56 AM
Miami, Fl
flower09 Offline
Glider Lover
flower09  Offline
Glider Lover

Miami, Fl
Diane, I'm really interested in finding out about what you have learned. Would you be able to share the link of some of the journal articles that you have read?

Jenny
Mom to sugar gliders Flower :grey: , Meeko :bb: , Freedom :bb: Skipper :bb: and Ava :rtmo:
as well as 2 dogs, Coco and Macey
seven cats, Chica, Nala, Balls, Belly, Princesa, Kitten little, and OJ
an Amazon parrot, Pancho
and a cockatiel, Pio
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1097073
04/08/11 11:38 AM
04/08/11 11:38 AM
Annapolis, MD
Ikeda Offline
Glider Explorer
Ikeda  Offline
Glider Explorer

Annapolis, MD
Yea... I'd like to see these published "journal" articles. Because my vet is VERY good at exotics and there are currently only 2 articles in ANY vet journal and they specifically point out the BML-format used a zoos.

Other articles I have read are very clearly (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets under different headers. If you read the WHOIS DNS information, it always pops up the same Scotsdale, AZ or the FL addresses. The internet may have a LOT of information but a LOT of the info is eschewed for the reader. Just look at all those journal entries by the cigarette companies saying that smoking doesn't kill.

Please provide source information.

:grey: Rocky and Winkle's Dad :wfb:

Rocky: (recognizing Boris's voice) That voice. Where have I heard that voice before?

Bullwinkle: In about 365 other episodes. But I don't know who it is either.
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: Ikeda] #1097104
04/08/11 01:08 PM
04/08/11 01:08 PM
New Mexico
Viciousencounter Offline
Glider Explorer
Viciousencounter  Offline
Glider Explorer

New Mexico
Originally Posted By: Ikeda
Yea... I'd like to see these published "journal" articles. Because my vet is VERY good at exotics and there are currently only 2 articles in ANY vet journal and they specifically point out the BML-format used a zoos.

Other articles I have read are very clearly (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets under different headers. If you read the WHOIS DNS information, it always pops up the same Scotsdale, AZ or the FL addresses. The internet may have a LOT of information but a LOT of the info is eschewed for the reader. Just look at all those journal entries by the cigarette companies saying that smoking doesn't kill.

Please provide source information.

I was wondering if you have access to the two articles your vets has?

Check out my site for cage accessories!!!

Vicious Encounters Store

I love my four furbat ladies!
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1097201
04/08/11 04:28 PM
04/08/11 04:28 PM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
Are you talking about the article I referred to earlier? Original link is in the 5th post from the top, original source is:

Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice, Vol. 12, Issue 2, a journal published by ELSEVIER

a legit publisher of medical science journals:

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vet...e=&pageID=6

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: DianeR] #1097202
04/08/11 04:29 PM
04/08/11 04:29 PM
Miami, Fl
flower09 Offline
Glider Lover
flower09  Offline
Glider Lover

Miami, Fl
What I would like to see is actual scientific peer-reviewed journals, not just articles written by just anyone on the internet. That is what the journals that Diane is talking about sound like.

Jenny
Mom to sugar gliders Flower :grey: , Meeko :bb: , Freedom :bb: Skipper :bb: and Ava :rtmo:
an Amazon parrot, Pancho
and a cockatiel, Pio
Re: Pelleted diet vs Blended - views and advice [Re: jimbo] #1097204
04/08/11 04:37 PM
04/08/11 04:37 PM
Miami, Fl
flower09 Offline
Glider Lover
flower09  Offline
Glider Lover

Miami, Fl
I didn't see Jimbo's post before I posted. That is definitely legit. Are there more?

Last edited by flower09; 04/08/11 04:38 PM.

Jenny
an Amazon parrot, Pancho
and a cockatiel, Pio
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 393 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,597 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,184 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024